Noir, the last frontier for creative writing in the mass media.

+
Side Street (film noir 1950)
“New York City. An architectural jungle where fabulous wealth…
and the deepest squalor live side by side. New York, the busiest, the loneliest, the kindest and the cruelest of cities.”

L.A. Noir (2011)
“Los Angeles was the kind of place where everybody was from somewhere else and nobody really dropped anchor. It was a transient place. People drawn by the dream, people running from the nightmare.”

Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
“In 2077 they voted my city the worst place to live in America. Main issues sky-high rate of violence and more people living below the poverty line than anywhere else. Can't deny it. It's all true. Everybody still wants to live here. The city's always got a promise for you. Might be a lie, an illusion-- it's there just around the corner. It's a city of dreams, and I'm a big dreamer.”

It is hard to find that type of writing in an Avengers movie, Call of duty, or any number of bad TV series. We question why American literacy has taken a nosedive. I say it is because we no longer care and are not given anything to be excited about. As an American, I am hoping we will be exposed to the gritty poetic writing style that has always been one of the biggest earmarks of noir. As well, the way to take a person out of a time period is to change the music, the style, the environment, and the language. I hope we remember that language can be cool. Obviously, this is not the only project I am hoping pursues the path of improved literacy.

The factors influencing literacy is something I have never researched, so I've got no comment on how/if this game could in any way have an effect on that, but I'm all for anything that has a positive effect.

Aside from that side of this, I love both genres of noir and cyberpunk, and love when they intersect. They both really rely on a small world (not necessarily physically small) where motivations and agendas of the many individual actors inevitably interconnect with a level of complexity that is uncommon in other genres. The complex relationship & agenda graphs can facilitate really elaborate cause/effect chains that challenge the character's ideologies with cool dilemmas and can result in interesting narrative fallouts and payoffs. Additionally, they are both very focused on the people which encourages plots more about the individualist struggles rather than having to rely on epic world shaping events to get the same sort of gravity.

what a shitshow of a game LA NOIRE turned out to be. I mean it was in dev hell for so long so i dont blame it. missed opportunity. still hoping for LA NOIRE 2 done right.

Don't forget that the trailer's voice over is from V himself, the main character. And he doesn't seem like the poetic guy ^^

I wish there would be language differences between characters depending on their social status/background, but I'd be surprised if it goes farther than slang words or expressions. Though I still hope for one or two characters with a distinct, creative manner of speech.

Don't forget that the trailer's voice over is from V himself, the main character. And he doesn't seem like the poetic guy ^^

I wish there would be language differences between characters depending on their social status/background, but I'd be surprised if it goes farther than slang words or expressions. Though I still hope for one or two characters with a distinct, creative manner of speech.
I think there will be, it seems like V and Jackie are both pretty street, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar speech patterns, but I expect that we will experience some different semantic styles from others. I obviously don't know, but I've got a good feeling for all that's worth.

Huh, I can barely remember Noir, wasnt it released like 7 year ago or something like that. Who cares about literacy, when we have YouTube etc. I remember Noir being OK game but that was it. I miss that Detective game.

Top Bottom