• Yes

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Part of main game

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Timed dialogues are what kept me from buying Alpha Protocol, because it's not realist (IRL you don't have to use an interface which makes you choose from a limited number of options) nor fun.
At least make sur it is an easyly moddable thing, as I don't want to pass of the game just because it wants to scream "ACTION !" instead of lettinf you actually roleplay things.

I appreciate this for the energy it adds to gameplay. It's not "realistic", perhaps, but it is a wonderful mechanic for players that like to "live with the consequences". In real life, I can remember numerous times where I have been in a position to make an important decision. It feels like I could debate forever about it, and even if I had days to decide, the pressure was on. The other person needed an answer -- they weren't going to wait forever. Whether it was business, romance, an intense argument, etc...it was time to jump. A countdown timer is a fun way of simulating that energy for a game.

But I agree that including such things as an option is the way to go. Let the player decide.

Timed dialogues are what kept me from buying Alpha Protocol, because it's not realist (IRL you don't have to use an interface which makes you choose from a limited number of options) nor fun.
At least make sur it is an easyly moddable thing, as I don't want to pass of the game just because it wants to scream "ACTION !" instead of lettinf you actually roleplay things.

I respectfully disagree, in Alpha Protocol it makes sense because you don't choose a line of dialogue, but more the tone and the attitude of your character, based on the characteristics and personalities of the NPCs you are talking to. The timed dialogue there adds spice to the system and tension, forcing the player to study the "target" before approaching him o "rushing" decisions using instinct and previously gained experience.

It makes sense in the context of that game, a spy thriller. Don't know if it make sense in Cyberpunk tho. Although it could, given that the dialogue happens in real time. Not answering and thus "failing" could also result in different reactions from the NPCs.

I respectfully disagree, in Alpha Protocol it makes sense because you don't choose a line of dialogue, but more the tone and the attitude of your character, based on the characteristics and personalities of the NPCs you are talking to. The timed dialogue there adds spice to the system and tension, forcing the player to study the "target" before approaching him o "rushing" decisions using instinct and previously gained experience.

It makes sense in the context of that game, a spy thriller. Don't know if it make sense in Cyberpunk tho. Although it could, given that the dialogue happens in real time. Not answering and thus "failing" could also result in different reactions from the NPCs.

Actually I made a more precise post on the other subject about timed dialogues:
"The problem with real time dialogue is actually the same one as FPP: what works IRL doesn't work in a game because is it never even close to how things works IRL.
IRL you don't have to acknowlegde, then choose, from a limited number of possibilities, nor do you have to think which possibility would better fit the roleplay of your character. "
That's the problem I have with such systems.

Yeah, the combat in Bloodlines is nothing to be excited about. But atmosphere and dialog wise it's in a class by itself. A good many dialog options are gated behind skills, and that makes perfect sense. If your character is good at persuasion or seduction or can dominate an NPCs mind they should have options others would not, duh.
I disagree. Strongly.

Dialog options shouldn't be locked behind skills. You should be allowed to say whatever you want and fail miserably if you are not good enough to sell it. Ideally there ought be a check of sorts (like your ability to lie vs someone's ability to tell that you're lying) in order to make it less of a "pick the right pick-up line" mini-game. I think Tides of Numenera did something like that.

Otherwise we end up with "pick up the SPECIAL blue/red option" from Mass Effect or "pick up the option unlocked by Persuasion skill" where all such options are always beneficial to the player, because (s)he had to unlock them.

If V has any sort of pre-defined personality, then the Devs have absolutely failed at their promise to allow us to create our character. I do not believe that will be the case. I pray that is not the case. Hell I am dissapointed with him having a name at all.
I think it will be the case.

"We" already seem to be friends with Jackie, and given how much effort was already put into it, I doubt developers will simply give up on that. Unless CDPR will be generous and give us a way to define our history via the character creation, which would result in player character ending up with his or her own friends and enemies. But I really doubt it, because it would require much more work than streamlining all "classes" into the same story.

Top Bottom