Northern Realms Deck Strategies

+
Northern Realms Deck Strategies

So I wanted to post my current Northern Realms deck that I'm using. I am a F2P player, having spend 0 dollars so far. This deck isn't expensive to build, as there are no Legendaries, though it does have a couple of epics (hence budget is between quotation marks) So far it has a good winrate, even gainst the dreaded Monsters.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/4707-golden-realms-budget

Guide on how to play it is in the link. I hope this inspires more people to play a version of this deck, as a lot of Northern Realms decks seem to be focused on just buffing and copying rather than utilizing the passive.

EDIT: Users are welcome to use this topic to discuss varying Northern Realms strategies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I play a similar deck and I find it quite strong. I personally don't like the Trebuchets there, as they don't have good synergy with "gold digging" - either Reaver or Blue Stripe Scouts, which will help to manage your hand. Sometimes you might prefer to play two Elites of your hand, buff them, and then copy with Foltest.

The reason I use the Trebuchets is because they are massive value, especially against Monster Decks. They also draw away removal from your other cards. Reaver Scouts only really got one proper target, which are the Elites (or in your case, the scouts), but other than that they just take up room. Blue Stripes Scouts don't work well because they tend to just give you 8 points value total, as you don't use Warhorn, and if you use them on your Elites, they will only paint a removal target on it, while if you want to play reïnforcements on the Elite, you need to do it the turn after you play the Elite.
I did use to run them, but they were kind of disappointing. Plus, if you Foltest a Trebuchet that has 1 on the countdown, it will spawn a Trebuchet with 1 on the countdown and buff the other one, meaning that Trebuchet was just worth 7 points already if not immediatly removed.

even on your site.
Poor Infantry feat trap they call it using point uppers and copying and locking them into next round with then making them gold with over 110 points. adding to this you can have 3 Poor Infantry and 3 adrenaline rush and three promote along with many other cards the can boost and then lock them down and copy then turn gold. only counter is the philippa eilhart card!! so only northern can beat northern. http://forums.cdprojektred.com/search?q=Poor+Infantry+trap&searchJSON=

also used yennefer with chironex on bosted carried gold Poor Infantry over 110 points and the number where all -2 but where not green! stating that the original value wall over there really original value of 3! so if they where even destroyed they could be resurrected with far over 3 strength! i have video proof of this.

also 2 plus what ever gold on the field over powered make leader card Harald the cripple of no use.

Madman lugos is a BS! card dose not do what it states! i scraped a lot of cards for this one and was ever upset with they way it worked! Madman Lugos "Add 1 strength to this unit for each unit in your graveyard." doesn't work if card is in your hand or deck or graveyard or when you play the card and then add cards to graveyard! please fix. also Toruviel doesn't work when the opponent has to pass when they have no cards!

No Title

Seems that NR strat section is a bit dry so I'll just post one of my play for fun decks. The deck is occasionally can turn around in the round 3 by a margin of 1 or 2 points hence the name "Mind games and cheap thrills".

The MVPs for this deck is Regis and Ciri. These two cards alone is enough to force ur opponent to burn through the first round while still providing a solid base point for round 2. Mind that, both cards are equally vulnerable to kaedweni seagent or any cards that removes gold status. Usually I place both of them after a few bait cards.

Bait cards: There are 3 bait cards in the deck namely the Balista, the cow and the trebuchet (Who likes these anyway XD). They are there to bait rounds so that u encourage ur opponent to complete his combo as fast as possible so u can actually chip them off (*cough* monster & skellige *cough*). The trebuchet is a special one, because it is widely know that these MFckers are annoying, but why only one card? well I use my leader card loosely when I see fit. So yea not all NR player's strategies are transparent. (Nab tip: Trebuchet baits scorches :DDDDD )

The muscle: Welp, the two main stars are there, namely the bluestripes commandos (BSC) and the Reaver hunters. Again, we all know that Reaver hunters is MFcking cancer cells. The best round 1 I experienced was putting out regis, ciri and one reaver hunter and just pass the just lay back and watch em panic. Reinforcements is typically combos with BSCs.

The supports: Nothing special, we have Priscilla, two medics, Shani, Kaedweni S.S, Reaver scout and BSScout. Usually after I invest my Reaver hunters in the first round. I call em back immediately with one medic. If I had a Reaver scout on my hand I could recover two of them, and adding on foltest on medic, I can get all of them back.

The fun: Thaler, that whoreson. He's the sole reason I only mulligan maximum two cards. He's practically a free one w/ contribution. Of course sometimes he's too good of a whoreson too. When I have a hand with only one BSC and I used thaler to get rid of him, he ploughin gave me a "reinforcements". As for the spell cards, you can tell I like to give my opponents a false sense of security that they are having the advantage.

Strategies: There isnt much a direct strategy about my deck actually. Because of its unusually higher card count of 33 compared to other pro decks. There is more than one way to play this deck, hence this deck isnt meant to be competitive but to have genuine fun. Now then, if ya'll kind folk bump into me in game, probably prepare for 2-3 rounds of nerve wrecking. Btw sry for positing just the pic, the deck builder glitched on me. Good luck on the path.

Attachments

• photo77770.png
    photo77770.png
    759.3 KB · Views: 530
Help with NR after patch

Hi folks,

I was maining NR the two weeks since I started playing and there's no other way to say it than state: the patch neutered me and took my balls.
Reinforced trebuchets are pretty much useless now (people complain about them being annoying but looking at them in a rational way they are a 5 strength card that will do very little damage over time. That means you need to play them early. You need to last long enough through the round so they can even start bringing value. That means you have to build your deck around them. For what? For 1 damage per treb every 2 turns? Good luck with that)

I tried other strats: Buffing of course just a matter of, has the opponent drawn a d bomb or not? So a pretty risky and stupid affair, again.
I tried making the reinforced ballista viable by feeding it gold units. Again, I got the feeling I built my whole deck around an underwhelming main unit.
I tried gold promote decks with/without siege tower, ves, margarita... That so far seems the most solid strat but still underwhelming.

So I'm asking you NR players: have you found a non cheesy foothold in the new meta? I have the feeling NR is pretty uninteresting right now. I'm having much more fun with my monster weather deck, and that's a nice thing, but I do want to play some viable NR. Looking forward to input.

Necro_Man_Ser;n6992500 said:
I tried gold promote decks with/without siege tower, ves, margarita... That so far seems the most solid strat but still underwhelming.

Thats it. You have to take full advantage of the deck synergies now, specially with promote. I running promote based build with henselt and its working fairly well i must say.

Maybe another viable option is the medic abuse one, with kadwin sergeant, bloody baron, nenneke and shani. Dunno if thats still good without the field medics being able to chain, but still worth the try.

Forget trebuchets and phillipa, they are done.

If interests you, thats what i'm using now: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/6894-goach

gamingdevil800;n6993040 said:
@Lavely whats so good about the Bloody Baron? Is his ability not similar to Yennefers?

No, its totally different. The synergy with him is demoting him so you can chain medic him or promote botchling. Not quite my taste though, but already seen (pre patch) good build around it.

Laveley;n6993080 said:
No, its totally different. The synergy with him is demoting him so you can chain medic him or promote botchling. Not quite my taste though, but already seen (pre patch) good build around it.
Damn I'm having a really hard time deciding on which Gold unit I should replace Geralt (12) with I was thinking Regis or Borch but now the Bloody Baron sounds like a good option too.

Laveley;n6992640 said:
Thats it. You have to take full advantage of the deck synergies now, specially with promote. I running promote based build with henselt and its working fairly well i must say.

Maybe another viable option is the medic abuse one, with kadwin sergeant, bloody baron, nenneke and shani. Dunno if thats still good without the field medics being able to chain, but still worth the try.

Forget trebuchets and phillipa, they are done.

If interests you, thats what i'm using now: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/6894-goach

Thanks for your reply and your deck.
I play something very similar.
Question: how do you play your usual game? I find it very hard to beat my opponents without falling short of strength, overextending or falling behind in card advantage.

Necro_Man_Ser;n6997690 said:
Thanks for your reply and your deck.
I play something very similar.
Question: how do you play your usual game? I find it very hard to beat my opponents without falling short of strength, overextending or falling behind in card advantage.

The main combo is buffing -> promote roach olgier. You will alway have roach and promote (henselt) so you always can start with it. If your enemy is smart, he will try to counter it. You will be surprised but i see a lot people using igni again my 11 strength roach. Which is great (for me, of course).

The worst matchups i face with this deck are the full control ones, like scoia. Against them its pretty much impossible to promote roach/olgier. What you have to do is keep baiting them in the first round to remove you cheap stuff, like siege tower and keep resurrecting it with medic/scout. Every blue mountain comando they spend to remove your stuff is one less top hat bunny they can do with better stuff.

Its hard for me explain all the plays and matchups, every game plays a little different. Maybe i will record some matches with it.

@Necro_Man_Ser

This is the type of thing you should be able to pull with this deck. On the match before this against monsters too my roach had 78 strength. I have a very high win ratio against them (in fact, dont remember loosing to monsters since the patch):

http://imgur.com/a/t8xw7

I am collecting scrap to get roach but I am afraid to craft it in the end because I see a patch incoming that will rek promote and then I will have wasted 800 scrap. For a 3 STR unit.

Necro_Man_Ser;n7013830 said:
I am collecting scrap to get roach but I am afraid to craft it in the end because I see a patch incoming that will rek promote and then I will have wasted 800 scrap. For a 3 STR unit.

Yeah, seeing what they did to phillipa i would be afraid of that too (and they genuinely think she didnt get overnerfed). They probably will end to burry NR. Promote is the only thing keeping NR competitive at the moment and they are planing to nerf it.

Exactly my thoughts. I have made a suggestion thread with ways to nerf it which I think will not completely render promote useless.
As it is, people are already playing more monsters than anything else because there's an abundance of weather and please sir go ahead, promote your 1 STR units ^^

I must be really bad at this game with NR. I also go for reinforced trebuchet but they got nerfed and now I lose every time playing against monster weather or scoia'tael. I don't know why you guys say scoia'tael is weak. They kick my ass every game with their traps everywhere.

Ipredum they kick your ass because you base your deck on reinforced trebs and they got nerfed to death. Which means, they are super bad now. You need to find a new strategy. I have three NR decks now with decent winrates: your typical poor infantry buff promote, then my own version of promote with lots of gold cards, promote, ves and siege towers, and last a very similar deck to the reinforced treb deck I used, but with more removals, ballistae (those with 5 STR which deal 2 damage) and 2x frost. 2x frost because only melee I run is medic and most gwent decks put a lot of strength on the melee lane. They never see frost coming in a NR deck.

lpredrum136;n7014610 said:
I must be really bad at this game with NR. I also go for reinforced trebuchet but they got nerfed and now I lose every time playing against monster weather or scoia'tael. I don't know why you guys say scoia'tael is weak. They kick my ass every game with their traps everywhere.

Scoia control was never weak. And it became stronger after the patch since was arguably the only faction which didnt got nerfed.

That being said, its a very expensive deck with lots of rares, epics and legendaries.

Top Bottom