Northern realms should have armour again

+
Many of the cards need to stay on board for couple rounds to have any significant effects. Point is they are easily removed before they can do anything. So instead of increasing their points I think they should add armour to them. For example 3 armour would allow it to stay on board a bit more and opponent would have to put more effort to remove instead of playing one bronze card to remove 10+ provision gold card. I

Many of the cards need to stay on board for couple rounds to have any significant effects. Point is they are easily removed before they can do anything. So instead of increasing their points I think they should add armour to them. For example 3 armour would allow it to stay on board a bit more and opponent would have to put more effort to remove instead of playing one bronze card to remove 10+ provision gold card. I

The problem is NR has so many engines that if you make it hard to counter then you unbalance the game. I would be up for this if every faction got 3-5 more locks. Otherwise, you giving cards like Yen, Anna, the healer dude, and others guaranteed turns to run amok. The faction that i think needs armor is NG. Other than mill (which they don't have enough cards for,) and reveal (all RNG,) they don't really have an identity. You could argue locks are an identity, but locks don't rely help against SK and MO all that much and ST is a mixed bag.

I believe giving NR armour without it snowballing everything should be possible. As a result the base strength of units could be reduced a bit, because they will still be safe due to the armour. Or some of the starting charges could be removed from units. For example Lyrian Arabalest could start without any charges at all.

Furthermore, I'm absolutly not a fan of the old armour archetype, as its main goal wasn't to protect engines from damage, but on the contrast to remove armour from allies and thus making them more vulnerable.

How does this armour thing work?

I'm new, I've never seen it. I do doubt NR need something like that though.

Machines are pretty useless and underwhelming to be honest, unless you time them perfectly. Everyone will either kill or lock them easily, and they normally have 3 health, so it's not all that difficult. I think the problem with machines is that they are "order" based and not charge based. You never get to use the machines, because you have to wait a round for them to gain zeal, usually. That just makes them a huge easy target, unless you have super boosted it, and if you do, it will probably just get locked, so you don't get to use it at all.

Maybe it would be overly powerful to give them zeal when placed. In my opinion, playing machines probably needs a an overly complex setup and might not even be that rewarding still. Even if you have a perfect setup, they might just get killed/locked anyways, since you have to wait a round to get zeal.

Take foltest pride for example, pretty useless in a foltest deck. You don't gain any charges without special cards, and it's terribly difficult to protect. Sure, if you play it at a perfect time, foltest can give it zeal, but the use of it will be limited unless the situation is perfect. I've tried foltest pride both in a charge deck and in a zeal deck, but it just doesn't work. 9 provisions wasted usually. I find the tebuchet more powerful in all honesty, even though it's only 5 provisions. With foltest pride, you're probably going to need a lyrian arbelist, and he will be difficult to protect, and the setup will be too complex.

Sure, foltest pride CAN be useful. I had a couple of times where it worked out somewhat well, but it generally fits poorly in a foltest deck weirdly enough.

I've had quite some success with trebuchet though, in a charge deck, but it requires a somewhat complex setup too, and if that setup is somewhat broken, then, well, it's not going to be very useful.

I'm sure foltest pride CAN be useful, but in most cases it will easily be taken out, locked, or be underwhelming in use. I'd rather bring 2x trebuchet at 10 provisions.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
How does this armour thing work?

In beta, certain cards had armor, mostly NR. Every point of armor absorbs one damage at the cost of one armor. So, you could break through units with damage, if you wanted to. Certain cards even synergized with armor by transferring armor into damage or strength.

I'm sure foltest pride CAN be useful, but in most cases it will easily be taken out, locked, or be underwhelming in use.

That's the thing with cards like Foltest's Pride, you either win spectacularly or lose trying.

Just one of the interesting mechanics added to the graveyard.

Everything needs everything back.

What remains of the old signature playstyles (Like... spys... reveals... consume... is that all we have left after the purge?...) seem so nerfed and have so few cards left that played into that style that there is no room for signature decks. Nothing in this game is fun or exciting anymore...

Just one of the interesting mechanics added to the graveyard.

Everything needs everything back.

What remains of the old signature playstyles (Like... spys... reveals... consume... is that all we have left after the purge?...) seem so nerfed and have so few cards left that played into that style that there is no room for signature decks. Nothing in this game is fun or exciting anymore...

That really depends, I found nothing fun in gwent beta, but HC is quite good.
Real problem is that people have hard time parting with their favourite gamestyle which they got comfortable with and now it's gone.

I prefer the Armour mechanic over the Shield one. I hope its not a replacement. Maybe they discovered that a point of armour was too hard to balance with the new and lower card power values in Homecoming. Personally I think any armour would be great with the overbearing removal meta at the moment.

I think we shouldn't see the things black or white. Armor IS de facto a good mechanic for the game, and should be implemented through all the factions (even though you can have a more prominent one which uses it).
Why?
Because every point distribution changer is good for the game, allow for strategic choices (long term planning) and helps with balancing.
BUT the problem is that just adding armor is not enough: HC needs to tweak a couple of other things, and revisiting the concept of engine/trigger/timer and their points distributions. Not to mention removal: it should be changed into indirect negative interaction, allowing also other ways to disrupting value other than destroying stuff (moving? Spies positioning? Triggers and timers? Lock with timers? ecc).
Without deep implementation, armor is just another addition related to anything.

Top Bottom