Northern Realms

+
Northern Realms

Honestly... right now it's a bit too easy to build up a card around 100 points after someone passes, fix it for the next round, double the fixed card and make both cards gold (sometimes even before you get the chance for another move...). That's a bit too extreme. I'm okay with people growing one card to a high number and fix it for the next round... okay... but it shouldn't be possible to double a fixed card with the leader card. That's really way too much.

Guest 3857871

You should have put that card down before it got copied by Foltest. A single weather effect would have had done that.

That isn't possible when you have already passed. And after that it was too late because before I could do anything at all it was gold.

And going full frontal with Skellige in the first round, just to make sure that doesn't happen, is just not such a smart move... basically that renders one main advantage of this faction useless. It really is an issue. Don't mind the copying but not with the fixation for the next round.

Guest 3857871

It was your decision to pass the turn without using a weather card. So you want to take one of the main advantages of the Northern realms away because you were careless with making sure they don't steamroll you with gold cards?

Not unless Skellige loses it's graveyard bonuses.

Least northernrelm leader card can't copy silver or gold cards, so you have to stack your deck with scorches and damage. Unlike monsters which get to carry golds to the next rounds no problem, meanwhile you pray to god they don't have a scorch or damage your card to a useless level

Sure because no one has a clear weather card ;)

What do you mean with that?

Even if the NR player has buffed up a card like crazy - if you play the fitting weather cards it will be reduced to one. And should the NR player play clear weather, his card will have the original value again - but has lost the massive buffs he has invested in it... so a weather card at the right time can reliably kill that strategy.

Because you can cause rain and stuff but clear weather will remove it. And everyone has Clear Weather. Plus NR can make this exploit on any row - so you'd need more than one weather card (or you wait until you can craft the special weather card for all rows...).

It's a cheap excuse to say: "hey it's your fault for not using weather". Even with weather card it's not safe. And again... this exploit takes away a lot from the main advantage of Skellige. I already managed to change my system so I can defeat most NR decks in the first two rounds (it only gets difficult when I'm very unlucky with the draw...), but it still is a huge exploit and really really annoying.

but it still is a huge exploit and really really annoying.

pfft nothing is more annoying than playing against Geralt every round from a monster deck advantage. Some of it is luck, but a 12 point stack every round is annoying. At least in NR usually only carry to one round.

You use weather right after he makes a copy of his unit because that's when he's done buffing them.
Say an NR player buffs a Trebuchet to 50 power, and copies it. You use weather; he uses clear sky -- and they are back to 4 strength. How is that even remotely threatening?

I have NR deck of that type. I even reached 17 lvl using it and I can assure you it's easy to be countered, like a lot of ways to do that.

I've been using NR deck in a similar way for the past 6 hours. it's a strong build but the way I play it doesn't involve buffing the trebs, those work as a bleed effect while buffing commando which is in my books far more effective and if they use torrential rain - I still take 4 points each round.

I so generally use weaker cards as bait which works more often than not and allows me to clear the enemy hand from danger to my trebuchets, often resulting in a weaker trebuche, but the point of my trebuches isn't for field strength and people don't get this. I've won with four trebuches in torrential rain because of this stratergy. If I have four trebuches in rain and you don't get rid of them I'll bleed you out.

This is negated by them using something that can individually eat each trebuche as I place it or by being a monster deck with some incredible swarming cards mixed with damage cards. Aggressive decks are intimidating and still come down to a hair of a win sometimes.

There is a drawback to this strat too. Assuming I've won the second round and done so with four trebuches and the enemy has passed but I still need to wait a turn to bleed enough to win. I'll have to place a card that I could have saved had their health been initially lower, I've lost because of this one card difference in the third round so it isn't all roses unfortunatley.

I'd like to add. I feel as if people expected me to bluff the first round and also with other cards my strategy would be less effective and more predictable.

The tutorial States "start with your strongest card" but I have to say, because of this I can draw out a person's attack untill they're all out of ideas and then start my attack based on theirs.

Last edited:
I played a game yesterday, a NR mirror and the guy had close to 600 overall strength on his board. Then I played a card and his strength dropped to 8. Phillipa says hello. ;)

I have to put it out there, but this seems like a very severe case of "Git gud, scrub". I don't mean it in a nasty way - the game is designed this way, and it went through quite a lot of testing.

So yeah, you passed. That's a sure-fire sign of not wanting to do anything anymore. No Reactions, since you know, it's a pass. Be more tactical.

To make the point more obvious:
As others have stated, if you put down weather, then clear skies, the buffs are gone.
You have a managable situation.

Also, psychology. You can tell when someone is bluffing/bullshitting or just straight on field-playing with the cards.
I'm not even in the slightest, by far a pr01337 min-maxing ace in a hole, but even I know how to play mindgames.

We are not playing against AIs anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also use this tactic, but there are lots of ways to counter it. Not an issue. I haven't unlocked Phillipa, but if she works on Gold cards, then RIP this strat.

Top Bottom