Not enough money early on in the game.

+
Not enough money early on in the game.

Hello folks
Just enjoying the game. It's really neat. I created this thread to ask if i'm the only one short on money in the game. I just arrived in Velen and amassed quite a considerable loot, however I do notice those weasels of merchants don't pay me full price for my valueables. Is it normal? Do you know a good way to make money early on? Seems there is an imbalance between how much I can make in selling things and how much the things I buy costs.

Any suggestions?

Collect honeycomb and sell them to the herbalist in White Orchard. There's a poster on a tree in the village stating she will pay good money for them. In the northwest below the marsh in the fields and edges of the marsh there will be trees with bees nests. Burn them with Ignii and collect the honeycombs. Also, sell the animal hides (bears, wolves etc) you accumulate in your inventory. Sell excess weapons and armor you collect. Don't buy armor or weapons, find or craft them. Only spend your money on repairs, crafting, and herbs you struggle to find for potions.

Yes, the game really exaggerates having the vendors sell their merchandise for high prices to the point where, basically, they're useless. Might as well put a 10,000C price tag on everything. Aside from buying some feathers, cheap alcohol or some leather straps, their prices are ridiculously high.

I made a lot of money in White Orchard (left that prologue with 1219 Crowns in my pocket) by looting everything, everywhere and spending hours calculating selling vs. dismantling almost every loot item, to get the best deals and conserve my money. I also sold a lot of honeycombs to the herbalist lady, she pays 18C for each one! Selling junk loot over and over amassed a lot of money as well.

The only thing that's really annoying is how, in your inventory, if for example a sword might say "40 crowns" next to it, you try to sell it everywhere and it always costs 8 or 10 crowns, while it costs like 500 to buy one like it. Then what the hell does the 40 crowns in the inventory mean?

Yes, the game really exaggerates having the vendors sell their merchandise for high prices to the point where, basically, they're useless. Might as well put a 10,000C price tag on everything. Aside from buying some feathers, cheap alcohol or some leather straps, their prices are ridiculously high.

I made a lot of money in White Orchard (left that prologue with 1219 Crowns in my pocket) by looting everything, everywhere and spending hours calculating selling vs. dismantling almost every loot item, to get the best deals and conserve my money. I also sold a lot of honeycombs to the herbalist lady, she pays 18C for each one! Selling junk loot over and over amassed a lot of money as well.

The only thing that's really annoying is how, in your inventory, if for example a sword might say "40 crowns" next to it, you try to sell it everywhere and it always costs 8 or 10 crowns, while it costs like 500 to buy one like it. Then what the hell does the 40 crowns in the inventory mean?

Exactly I don't get why they won't pay me the value of the damn things if they have the money to do so. Certainly i'm not giving on sale my loot so I'm kind of keeping it till I find better deals. Gotta say...so tempted to use igni on those greedy merchants.....thinking they can rip-off a Witcher...

I suggest you only spend your money repairing your equipment for now, so you can save money, and about selling items, sell you useless equipment and some common alchemy items that you will not use too much yet, like monster brain, monster blood, monster tongue for example. There are some people that pay more for some items than others, so make sure you sell swords to a blacksmith for example.

I have a lot of money now using this strategy, I'm level 15. Even if some people doesn't pay much for some alchemy items for example, you can make some big money from it after some time selling them, just avoid selling leather and steel for example because you will need this for making good equipments.

Hope it helps, bye.

I think this is intentional game design. The first area is a prologue and they don't want you getting super powerful. I think once you hit the big cities you have collected tons of obsolete money types that you can exchanged and started to get more money.

Or if it just really bothers you so much, use Cheat Engine.

I actually enjoy this a lot. Early game in RPGs is the best when you're strapped for cash and have to make hard choices what to buy. CDPR went to the extreme to achieve this (vendors paying a pittance for loot, high repair costs) but the result is that every treasure you find matters and the upgrades you buy/find feel meaningful. I'm sure the moneycreep will start soon enough as is always the case. Plus, there are ways to make some cash early on if you really want as mentioned above.

It is the base price the calculations are based on.

Hello folks
Just enjoying the game. It's really neat. I created this thread to ask if i'm the only one short on money in the game. I just arrived in Velen and amassed quite a considerable loot, however I do notice those weasels of merchants don't pay me full price for my valueables. Is it normal? Do you know a good way to make money early on? Seems there is an imbalance between how much I can make in selling things and how much the things I buy costs.

Any suggestions?
This happens in every game. And if they're merchants, even irl it would be like this, just maybe less extreme.

The honeycomb tip is a good one. And are you really misisng money to buy stuff? Maybe you think you have little when you actually have more than enough.

I'm probably carrying around a ton of crafting mats and alchemical components that I will never use. I've done some hard choice selling of expensive mats that I figure I will regret later, in order to afford stuff in the here and now. Eh, my future self will have more experience. He can deal with it. :D

Where is the herbalist? I'm about to fight the Griffin and have explored all over White Orchard but for some reason I'm missing the herbalist lady lol I did meet a male herbalist on the road after clearing monsters.

-edit- NEVERMIND, just found her

Last edited:
Especially if you are like me... like to run around and kill everything that moves with swords.... and soon you find out that repairing is darn expensive.... very darn expensive. More so if you fight things like 4-5 levels above you as it will take more strikes to kill em..

So... T_T I am broke. Now I understand why the Witchers dont fight for free .... My Geralt is currently a bee farmer... T_T

I absolutely LOVE, let me saying it again I LOVE the fact that I'm always broke =) Makes finding better gear/taking contracts actually exciting. I have a rather strong dislike for most RPGs these days where I am dragging gigantic piles of coin which really makes money and rewards essentially useless.

With expensive diagrams/gear/repair/low payouts I'm about 30 hours in and so far I'm extremely pleased with money side of the game. I loved always being broke on my first playthrough of TW2 as well.

I absolutely LOVE, let me saying it again I LOVE the fact that I'm always broke =) Makes finding better gear/taking contracts actually exciting. I have a rather strong dislike for most RPGs these days where I am dragging gigantic piles of coin which really makes money and rewards essentially useless.

With expensive diagrams/gear/repair/low payouts I'm about 30 hours in and so far I'm extremely pleased with money side of the game. I loved always being broke on my first playthrough of TW2 as well.

That's a thing I like about the Gothic games aswell. And also one thing I disliked about the The Elder Scrolls games. You can basicly have the armor in the game after 5 hours if you know what oyu are doing. :/

Top Bottom