Not sure about what to do before TW3, please help!

+
Not sure about what to do before TW3, please help!

I'd really appreciate some help, and I hope I posted this is in the right place! I don't have enough time to read the books before TW3 and I'd have to read the fan translations of 3+ of them on my PC because they won't all be translated for another few years, which makes me want to wait unless there are some I should read now. I know a couple spoilers about why the emperor and the wild hunt wants Ciri, not that there's anything I can do about it, just wondering if I find out about that stuff in the games (that would make me not as pissed). If I play both 1 and 2 thoroughly before release, read a lot of the journal entries, watch a couple lore series, will I enjoy TW3 not much worse than if I had read the books or should I just play the games and not spoil the books more with videos? Thanks. :)

- Andrew

Actually, the plots of TW1 and TW2 are not very related to the plot of TW3, as it seems. The plot of the books, on the other hand, seems to be quite related to the plot of TW3 (basically it seems that TW3's plot is the continuation of the plot of the books). So you'd be much better off if you read the books. Fan translations are quite decent, by the way, you don't have to wait for the official ones.

Keep in mind the correct reading order:
1. The Last Wish
2. The Sword of Destiny
3. Blood of Elves
4. Time of Contempt
5. Baptism of Fire
6. The Swallow's Tower
7. Lady of the Lake

Keep in mind you don't have to read any of the books before playing Wild Hunt. They are great books and worth a read, but the game has been designed for players new to the Witcher who haven't played the past games or read the novels.

If you have time, read them as they're well worth the time, but don't think you HAVE to read them before you play. :)

Not trying to be rude but how the heck am I going to read all of them within 27 days, that's barely possible.

They are not that lengthy, actually. I've just started re-reading them (starting from The Last Wish) and I'm fairly sure that I'll finish this considerably earlier than May 19. Last time I re-read them, it took about three weeks of fairly relaxed reading in my spare time, IIRC, or even less.

While I haven't read in a while and I would have to sit at my PC for three of them AND I don't even have any at home, I still want to play the games. Aren't the games connected to TW3 more than the books are? Should I just read the two short story books, play both games, and watch the lore series, would that be the best balance for the time I have? I still need to gather up enough money for the unhealthy amount of things I'm buying to do with this game haha. It's gonna cost me around $600 if I'm lucky LOL, them visuals, CEs, and other assorted merchandise better be good! :laughing:

Guest 3790055

Well I think carefully playing the two first games is already challenging for one month. I took a bit more than 40 hours for TW1 and a bit less than 40 hours for TW2.

The games are extremely linked as TW2 events are right after TW1 and TW3 events will be right after TW2. That's why you can import save files from each game to its sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you don't have to read the books but you should...For just one reason - playing the games after reading the books is much, much better experience.

You know you don't HAVE to play The Witcher 3 on day one. You're actually better off playing it a week later because a lot of the bugs will be fixed. The longer you wait, the better your experience will be. Go read the books, then go play The Witcher 1 and 2, and then play The Witcher 3.

While I haven't read in a while and I would have to sit at my PC for three of them AND I don't even have any at home, I still want to play the games. Aren't the games connected to TW3 more than the books are? Should I just read the two short story books, play both games, and watch the lore series, would that be the best balance for the time I have? I still need to gather up enough money for the unhealthy amount of things I'm buying to do with this game haha. It's gonna cost me around $600 if I'm lucky LOL, them visuals, CEs, and other assorted merchandise better be good! :laughing:

You can buy an e-ink book reader, like Kindle. A decent new one is about $80, I believe, while used ones would be even much cheaper. That way, you won't have to sit at your PC to read the books. Reading with e-ink book readers feels very similar to reading paper books (since e-ink screen doesn't shine, it only reflects light, just like paper); even more convenient, I'd say.

As I said, the plot of TW3 seems to be the continuation of the plot of the books. It seems that the plot of TW3 is more connected to the plot of the books than to the plots of the previous games. To get more background for TW3, it'd probably be better to read the books than to play the previous games. However, the games are very good, and if you want to play them more than you want to read the books, it's completely up to you. I was just giving you advice on which way you'll get more lore and background information.

Last edited:
You know you don't HAVE to play The Witcher 3 on day one. You're actually better off playing it a week later because a lot of the bugs will be fixed. The longer you wait, the better your experience will be. Go read the books, then go play The Witcher 1 and 2, and then play The Witcher 3.

Lol, this guy says you don't have to play The Witcher 3 day one, what do you think this is a place of rational thought and judgement?!

I'm actually thinking about this now... :hmm:

Keep in mind that near the end of the saga there is a huge reveal about Ciri which the game will most likely spoil to you because it has to.

Emhyrs already hints at it in th SoD-trailer: "I shall give her what she deserves..."

Keep in mind that near the end of the saga there is a huge reveal about Ciri which the game will most likely spoil to you because it has to.

Yes, that's the part that I was pissed about, some dumbass spoiled it in a comment on YouTube. I just hope it's not supposed to be a huge deal that you learn at the end of the game, and that the game won't rely on book spoilers.

SPOILER
You mean how he wants her to have a powerful magic baby with him to rule over the world?
SPOILER

Yes, that's the part that I was pissed about, some dumbass spoiled it in a comment on YouTube. I just hope it's not supposed to be a huge deal that you learn at the end of the game, and that the game won't rely on book spoilers.

SPOILER
You mean how he wants her to have a powerful magic baby with him to rule over the world?
SPOILER

Nah, this was already resolved in the books. He willingly abandoned this plan and let all of them go. I guess it is that
she is his daughter

CDProject, is it over?
‘No, it's 27 days left.’
I see... only darkness.. before.. me

The wait is hard, suffer well.

Honestly, I don't know what you can do besides watching all the seasons and episodes of Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Gotham, Bates Motel, The Mentalist, Stalker, Supernatural, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, iZombie, Friends, House, Fargo, Dexter, Devious Maids, The Amazing Race or something else.

(Everything else is said, so this is what I have to offer)

Last edited:
Nah, this was already resolved in the books. He willingly abandoned this plan and let all of them go. I guess it is that
she is his daughter

Hold up dude, first off thank you for telling me that, I'm very relieved now. Second, I haven't looked but is that the actual spoiler that I only learn through the end of the books and maybe the end of TW3? Is it something ok for me to know, basically does Geralt know it or is it something that would ruin shock value?

CDProject, is it over?
‘No, it's 27 days left.’
I see... only darkness.. before.. me

The wait is hard, suffer well.

Honestly, I don't know what you can do besides watching all the seasons and episodes of Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Penny Dreadful, Gotham, Bates Motel, The Mentalist, Stalker, Supernatural, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, iZombie, Friends, House, Fargo, Dexter, Devious Maids, The Amazing Race or something else.

What I should do: Study for a couple of exams.

Whats I actually do: Lurking these froums inhaling every piece of Info I can get and counting the seconds till may 19th.

---------- Updated at 09:29 PM ----------

Yes this is what I actually meant. I'm a bit biased about it since the game will most likely spoil ot to you but I would really recommend yoo to not look at it.

It's a really huge spoiler.

Hold up dude, first off thank you for telling me that, I'm very relieved now. Second, I haven't looked but is that the actual spoiler that I only learn through the end of the books and maybe the end of TW3? Is it something ok for me to know, basically does Geralt know it or is it something that would ruin shock value?

Yes, Geralt knows, he even destroys Emhyr's arguments about it in a lengthy conversation, read the books, man, really worth it.

Yes this is what I actually meant. I'm a bit biased about it since the game will most likely spoil ot to you but I would really recommend yoo to not look at it.

It's a really huge spoiler.

Ok so Geralt knows about it but I shouldn't look at the spoiler that vivaxardas2015 posted. If I read The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, and play The Witcher 1 and 2, I won't find out? I think I'll skip reading them all because I don't believe I'll have enough time, so would it be something to find out in TW3 or now?

Top Bottom