Nothing to see here , move along.

+
Nothing to see here , move along.

This was an atempt at a friendly hint to people of average computer skills with a good computer to remove tearing from their display.But it was seen as an open invitation to start flaming and arguing .I removed my parts as a result.Have a pleasant day.

Sadly this can affect your frame rate by as much as 50%. Turning V-Sync off is a proven way to boost frame rate in actual game play (not benchmarks), as you are not having to hold back your video card into waiting for the next whole number of frames. With V-Sync on, if your graphics card cannot draw 60fps (assuming 60hz refresh rate), then it will drop down to 30fps, and if it can't make that, 15fps.With V-Sync off the video card is uncoupled from the monitor, so it sends out frames as fast as it can, and the monitor updates when it can - sometimes this will result in the graphics card updating the frame half way through a monitor draw, causing a tearing effect. But this is usually preferable to the slowdown caused by forcing V-sync on.

I just tried this and your right, the game seems smoother now and I don't notice the tearing I was seeing before. The frames per second is the same as it was before, so it didn't go down like some are saying it would. Thanks for the tip!

Well I can quote developers back at you if you like:quote from the article:"Obviously waiting for Vsync before window swapping can cause a slow down. If you take 1.1 frames to draw a scene, then wait for Vsync before swapping frame buffers that means that .9 of that frame is spent doing nothing on the card."or elsewhere:"the ability to squeeze a couple more frames per second is a tweak I used quite often when playing graphically intensive games on lower performance systems. Was there tearing...damned right! Did it speed up the games? Sure did, but when you're getting 15-20fps in your favorite game, anything is an improvement, and the odd graphic glitch is a worthwhile tradeoff!"Obviously you're not going to be worried about framerate if you're getting over 60fps in the first place and in that situation then you should turn on VSync to get the visual improvement if you suffer from tearing. But if you're wanting to improve performance (as most people reading topics about tweaks to systems are) and you have under 60fps, then you should disable VSync, as, I repeat, it will lower actual, real framerate.

If you force V-sync through your control panel, (ATi or Nvidia) remember to also enable 'Triple Buffering,' as this will offset some of the reduced FPS.i.e: no tearing + less of a drop in performance

R_Sadalna...I'm going to try your suggestion. That tearing has always annoyed me. When I fist bought my lcd monitor a year ago, I thought there was something wrong with my monitor.Na zdravje!

Forcing v-sync can absolutely rape your framerate.If your monitor runs at 60Hz, and your graphics card can only push out 59FPS, then it'll be forced to bottleneck it and run it at 30FPS, instead.If your video card supports triple buffering, however, this can become much less of an issue. (It queues the frames in a buffer rather than wasting them).Only ever enable vsync if you're running an older game which doesn't have a framelimiter (like Thief2), or you're experiencing bad image tearing and can't stand it(a symptom of your graphics card running at a similar but slightly lower refresh rate to your monitor's, an effect similar to that which makes wheels appear to be spinning backwards when they're spinning at a certain speed).

Rsaldana said:
This was an atempt at a friendly hint to people of average computer skills with a good computer to remove tearing from their display.But it was seen as an open invitation to start flaming and arguing .I removed my parts as a result.Have a pleasant day.
How is anyone flaming?There are advantages and disadvantages to enabling vertical sync in your graphics settings, but listing only the advantages and saying that the purported disadvantages are urban myths is misinformative and misleading.That vsync can remove tearing is absolutely true and well known, and anyone with any experience with computers will tell you to enable it at the first mention of image tearing. However, it's also true, and well known, that it can have extremely adverse affects on your FPS, without double or triple buffering (which not all cards have, and can still provide their own problems).You started a thread on the internet, and posted controversial stuff. Some people argued with you. Big surprise. No need to take it personally.

Rsaldana said:
This was an atempt at a friendly hint to people of average computer skills with a good computer to remove tearing from their display.
You forget to add that you also claimed it would not affect fps, which was WHY you started the thread.Noone was flaming or arguing. You were simply disproved. Get over it.

Top Bottom