Now playing [music]

+
@Kinley , @Gilrond-i-Virdan - You guys really went off on one - whilst I slept - aha.

The extended track is very nice, thank you for sharing it, now I'll have to replace the other version in my playlist.

I'd assume it was a song sung to scare kids to hide when Witchers were about so that they wouldn't get picked to become one themselves, and generally keep them away from Witchers - a warning, just as many old Medieval lullaby's were.

Talking about Lullaby's...

[video=youtube;ijxk-fgcg7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijxk-fgcg7c[/video]

Oh, hello there 500 posts O:

Last edited:

Love New Order, Ian Curtis' death was unfortunate but they did come up with some amazing music in the wake of his death.

Wardruna make some of the best traditional Norse music I have ever heard, its amazing, something about Pagan style music has a really nice, natural, feel to it - feels so right.

-You might also recognise it as they're the band that do all the best tracks from the 'Vikings' soundtrack.

Last edited:
Love New Order, Ian Curtis' death was unfortunate but they did come up with some amazing music in the wake of his death.

Wardruna make some of the best traditional Norse music I have ever heard, its amazing, something about Pagan style music has a really nice, natural, feel to it - feels so right.

-You might also recognise it as they're the band that do all the best tracks from the 'Vikings' soundtrack.

I own the second album of Wardruna in Digibook version, also plan to buy the first one, and when the last in the trilogy is releases, then that one as well.
You might be like this one,

@Kinley , @Gilrond-i-Virdan - You guys really went off on one - whilst I slept - aha.

I'd assume it was a song sung to scare kids to hide when Witchers were about so that they wouldn't get picked to become one themselves, and generally keep them away from Witchers - a warning, just as many old Medieval lullaby's were.

May be, on the other hand it's way too scary. I think it's vampire lullaby which fits the story better (see the wiki).

May be, on the other hand it's way too scary. I think it's vampire lullaby which fits the story better (see the wiki).

Vampires are post conjunction creatures and the higher forms seem to just take on whatever human age appearance they like, similar to how Sorcerers and Sorceress' get to choose the point at which they stop physically aging externally, I cannot remember any Vampire children running around ah - From the way Regis puts it there aren't any more Vampires than there was after the conjunction - Only less and less as the Witcher's get them - In the case of High Vampires anyway.

~Reading that back it sounded rude, I didn't mean it to, apologies, typing makes it hard to get points across the way I'd like.

I've already packed Baptism of Fire away for when I move to my Uni house, otherwise I'd find the quote, but its in there, I believe its shortly after the Nilfgaardians attack the Temerian fort.

Most Lullabies & Nursery Rhymes had dark meanings, Ring around the Rosie is about plagues for example.

Last edited:
@MissMerigold: I didn't say there are many vampire children, but they are still born, and not turned from humans. Regis said that explicitly. For me it's also hinted when she picks up that doll that she associated the lullaby with her childhood. It might be not the vampire lullaby literally, but it conveys the same point in the story.

Last edited:
Lyrics (as I heard them, with help from @mecha_fish):

Wolves asleep amidst the trees
Bats all aswayin' in the breeze
But one soul lies anxious, wide awake
Fearin' all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths

For your dolly, polly 'sleep has flown
Don't e'er let her tremble alone

For the witcher
Heartless cold
Paid in coin of gold
He comes, he'll go
Leave naught behind
But heartache alone
Dee dee ohh

Birds are silent for the night
Cows turned in as daylight dies
But one soul lies anxious wide awake
Fearin' all manner of ghouls, hags and wraiths

My dear dolly, polly shut your eyes
Lie still, lie silent until no cries

As the witcher
Brave and bold
Paid in coin of gold
He'll chop and slice you
Gut and dice you
Eat you up whole
Eat you whole.

Not sure if someone mentioned it already, but since the song is called "lullaby of woe" couldn't the first "chorus" be
"...But heartache and woe
deep deep woe"
Or something like that? ^^
Also, the second chorus might be "lie still, lie silent, utter no cries"?
Just wondering (and thinking about a translation to German sometime mabye ;)).

Since I'm already writing...could someone tell me if this was inspired by some concrete poem in the books or something?

Last edited:
By the way, in the Lullaby of Woe it's Laura Doddington singing.

Also, the second chorus might be "lie still, lie silent, utter no cries"?

In that better Soundcloud version it indeed sounds like utter! But dee dee oh sounds more correct, however it's hard to say - sounds are muffled there.

Last edited:
Ach, very well, then. Now, to soothe the nerves, a song that could very well be found amongst the isles of Skellige (not quite the recording I prefer, but as close as I could find):

Last edited:
Link was fine, it's probably a licencing issue, only available in certain countries. Anyway, I found it on Spotify.
I feared that might be the case. I wonder how many people will be able to access it. The version I posted was the best I could find. The other ones I listened to weren't especially good. The song needs to be sung slowly, and preferably by a woman.

Every day since first hearing it.. At least once.

Followed by possibly my favourite folk track of all time.

Top Bottom