Now playing [music]

+
Christmas music. Currently making a disc of my wife's favorites for her for her Christmas stocking. Here's the playlist:

Rules: Christmas themed - 120 min limit - limit repeated artists (I kept it to three classics - Beach Boys, Burl Ives and Johnny Mathis)

1. Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Springsteen
2. All I Want for Christmas is You - Maria Carey
3. Santa Baby - Madonna
4. A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
5. Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
6. Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
7. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
8. I Saw Moomy Kissing Santa Claus - Jackson 5
9. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
10. Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Thurl Ravenscroft
11. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayle Peevey
12. Sleigh Ride - Johnny Mathis
13. Last Christmas - Taylor Swift
14. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Burl Ives
15. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - Martina McBride
16. Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow - Harry Connick, Jr.
17. Frosty the Snowman - The Beach Boys
18. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams
19. White Christmas - The Drifters
20. Winter Wonderland - Johnny Mathis
21. Do You Hear What I Hear - Bing Crosby
22. (There's No Place Like Home) For the Holidays - Perry Cuomo
23. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
24. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Michael Buble
25. Christmas Canon - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
26. Angels we Have Heard in High - Westminster Cathedral Choir
27. Silent Night - Penatonix

Some more Christmas songs:

[video=youtube;Afx-62sCmJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afx-62sCmJ4&list=PL6C3fFV4-47L7UE4cdB7r-3BV_AfSe7i4&index=3[/video]

Sunsibar have you heard some of the newish black metal bands from the US? I think some of them have finally developed a sound of their own (instead of half copying scandinavian black metal).

Check out for instance Wolves in the throne room:

volsung;n7505060 said:
Sunsibar have you heard some of the newish black metal bands from the US? I think some of them have finally developed a sound of their own (instead of half copying scandinavian black metal).

Sadly I haven't had much time for music lately :( I have missed tons of new album releases and everything new that has happened in metal scenes during past few years. I do listen to radio while working, but it only plays same few songs over and over again (mostly form the bands that I don't like). And during night they play old classics which are very good, but I have heard every song at least... 10 000 times? So no new and interesting bands in sight. So please, feel free to point me anything that can be possibly interesting :) Wolves In The Throne Room is pretty okayish for me. Just testing more of it.

[video=youtube;s-5jxRN70Ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-5jxRN70Ro[/video]

[video=youtube;Inld-zDad0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inld-zDad0c&ab_channel=pulpfiction267[/video]

Gothic Night. Can't sleep. Got people coming in the morning.. Help.

You have a very eclectic taste TootyNooty . I like post punk bands like Joy Division and really love classic goth rock like The Sisters of Mercy, Alien Sex Fiend, even Fields of the Nephilim. Do you know this band?

They are from Turkey and it is surprising how much they sound like FALAO-era The Sisters of Mercy.

volsung;n7534870 said:
You have a very eclectic taste TootyNooty . I like post punk bands like Joy Division and really love classic goth rock like The Sisters of Mercy, Alien Sex Fiend, even Fields of the Nephilim. Do you know this band?

They are from Turkey and it is surprising how much they sound like FALAO-era The Sisters of Mercy.

I do, variation is one of the best aspects of the musical artform. The more you listen to the more you can appreciate what you haven't listened to. Yet.

Goth rock (in a combo with New Wave and Post-Punk) is my personal favourite over everything else, however it's pretty hard to find my particular flavor of Goth rock as it shifted so much from the post-punk & British Goth rock scene in the 80's and early 90's to it's 2000's 'equivalent' bands like Evanescence and Faith No More (even though it's not Goth rock it became one of the new staples of the foreign and millennial-UK Goth scene) really put me off foreign Goth bands, for the most part, as I feel that it was such a thoroughly British music form (With heavy German influence of course) but thank you for sharing that, damn good, I miss the swaying melancholy beats in modern examples (But this being a band from 2006 gives me hope for a resurgence ahah), It's nice (This song), it sounds like a mix of Joy Division and Sisters, a good mix in my eyes, wish I knew Turkish now ahah - They lyrics are an integral part of Goth rock, I'll have to find a translation.

(Glad to have some discussion in this thread for once too! Music is one of my favourite things to talk about despite my personal lack of musical talent - I know a couple of songs on tin-whistle that's about it).

TootyNooty;n7535300 said:
I do, variation is one of the best aspects of the musical artform. The more you listen to the more you can appreciate what you haven't listened to. Yet.

Goth rock (in a combo with New Wave and Post-Punk) is my personal favourite over everything else, however it's pretty hard to find my particular flavor of Goth rock as it shifted so much from the post-punk & British Goth rock scene in the 80's and early 90's to it's 2000's 'equivalent' bands like Evanescence and Faith No More (even though it's not Goth rock it became one of the new staples of the foreign and millennial-UK Goth scene) really put me off foreign Goth bands, for the most part, as I feel that it was such a thoroughly British music form (With heavy German influence of course) but thank you for sharing that, damn good, I miss the swaying melancholy beats in modern examples (But this being a band from 2006 gives me hope for a resurgence ahah), It's nice (This song), it sounds like a mix of Joy Division and Sisters, a good mix in my eyes, wish I knew Turkish now ahah - They lyrics are an integral part of Goth rock, I'll have to find a translation.

(Glad to have some discussion in this thread for once too! Music is one of my favourite things to talk about despite my personal lack of musical talent - I know a couple of songs on tin-whistle that's about it).

We can discuss music anytime. I listen to different things as well but tend to gravitate towards guitar driven music.

There are many post-2000 true gothic bands, so yeah you might be missing out. In particular, there are several good electro-industrial and aggrotech bands that are either new or still active, if you are into such music. For instance, Heimaterde (new) or Diary of Dreams (active). Diary of Dreams are actually touring in Germany this year.

I would not, under any circumstance, ever consider Evanescence gothic. I think the reason many people think bands like Evanescence or even the former Nightwish were "gothic" is because of the mix of rock guitar, female vocals and "dark" appearance. The harmonic and melodic structure of their music, as well as their lyrics and themes and just about everything else has little or nothing to do with "gothic".

There is also a trend, now an established subgenre of metal, called Gothic Metal. Formerly it was bands like Tristania, Crematory, After Forever, among others. All very different as you can see, and yet all "gothic metal". Again my hypothesis is people who only casually listen to music are likely to associate "melancholy", "sadness", "longing" over some powerful or epic sounding melodies with "gothic". Now, there are also many "gothic"-friendly metal bands, like Moonspell who often perform at Mera Luna and maybe even some melodic doom/death bands like My Dying Bride.

I've been thinking about going to Wave Gotik Treffen this year, there are tons of lesser known, actual gothic bands there.

Last edited:
Holy crap! I'm just playing Final Fantasy 15, faced the behemoth... This music hit me so hard! I want more behemoths, more this music... I NEED more!

[video=youtube;6hYjZH1U-XU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYjZH1U-XU[/video]

Top Bottom