Now reading [books]

+
1.PNG

Completed the first book and ...the ending made me wanna stop reading anything for a while (yes, it was good!)

Then started reading the second book of the trilogy, but still can't complete it.. So can't really start reading the third one :mad:

2.PNG

Voss, by Patrick White. It's about a German explorer who vanishes into the Australian outback.

The author writes in a very, very unusual style that fails to differentiate metaphor from ordinary description and skips between modes within the same sentence, so I've found it takes me about half an hour to even make it click each time I pick it up!

So next up I think I might try Tintin as something a little lighter on the synapses.

Decided to re-read The Hobbit once again. I've read it numerous times in the almost 20 years I've owned a copy, but it's just a classic that never loses its re-read value.
I re-read it last year. Always a pleasure. I prefer it in many respects to The Lord of the Rings -- at least in parts.

I really want to re-read Lord of the Rings as well, but I don't own a copy. I could, however, easily borrow one, the all-in-one version I've read in the past.

It takes days to read, whereas Hobbit seems to take me around 6,5 hours -- but I like long books when they're great stories.
A hardback with 1000++ pages weighs a lot, though, I remember that.

I really want to re-read Lord of the Rings as well, but I don't own a copy. I could, however, easily borrow one, the all-in-one version I've read in the past.

It takes days to read, whereas Hobbit seems to take me around 6,5 hours -- but I like long books when they're great stories.
A hardback with 1000++ pages weighs a lot, though, I remember that.
This is the one I used to have:
1624924920164.png

It was printed before Sir Ian McKellen took the role but, whislt I think he portrayed a formidable Gandalf, I always liked the wizard in the cover better. I'd ship it to you if I still had, but I lent it to a friend that went to live abroad (and neither of us remembered to return the book).
It was indeed a very time-consuming read, but in those days I could allow myself to just delve within a good story's pages for hours on end without disturbances, just a good chair with a yellow lamp in the corner and lovely silence.

To stay on topic, this is what I'm reading at the moment:

1624925338564.png

Re-reading Stephen King's Different Seasons, it's a novella collection but has both Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body in it, both were adapted into movies; The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me.

Actually went through Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy again a couple of months ago. Right now reading Edgar Alan Poe's short stories. Also going through some non-fiction environmental / popular science books: "What a Fish Knows" (Jonathan Balcombe), "Waste" (Tristram Stuart), also finished "Sapiens" (Yuval Noah Harari).

I don't consider myself to be a big reader, but when there is no internet, there is not much of a choice :)

So when that happens, I'm more comic series oriented (if we can consider that as "reading"). And more particularly, Univers of Troy. The best comic series ever for me and since a very long time (and there is enough to spend a lot of time with all the albums).
If you like The Witcher, I recommend taking a look, chances are you like it. There are monsters (a lot), magic, cute girls and the designs, the world and the texts are gorgeous. Only problem, I don't know if it's available in english. That's could be sad... :(
lanfeust-de-troy_bandeau.jpg

Few series (among many)
-Lanfeust of Troy.
-Lanfeust of the Stars.
-Lanfeust Odyssey.
-Troll of Troy.

Lanfeust_Troy.jpgCixi.jpgBuveurs_de_mondes.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to re-read Stephen KIng's Doctor Sleep. One of the few books I own that I've only read once so far. It's a sequel to The Shining, which I've not read but have seen the original movie version of.

I'm a big fan of all of King's work that I've read or seen.

(In case you wonder why the thread title has changed: two topically identical threads were merged.)

Last edited:
I'm currently reading FDR by Jean Edward Smith, and about halfway through a American history through biographies series I'm putting together as I go.

1. The Three Lives of James Madison: Genius, Partisan, President - Noah Feldman
2. Henry Clay: The Essential American - David S. Heidler
3. Grant - Ron Chernow
4. T.R. The Last Romantic - H.W. Brands
5. FDR - Jean Edward Smith
6. Justice for All: Earl Warren and the Nation he Made - Jim Newton
7. Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George H.W. Bush - Jon Meacham
8. … not quite sure who to use for the last 30 or so years yet ...

Oh boy, that sounds super exciting to read it by the fireside in winter (in a sofa, in a dressing gown, a cup of tea and with the slippers of course).
Ach, it's an absolute page-turner! As for the rest, a wee dram of Scotch suits me better than tea (hardly ever touch the latter).

So_Exiting.png

You put what you want in the cup of course :D
"This weekend, I had a reading evening, it was great !"
"Oh yes, what did you read ?"
"Etymological Glossary of The Shetland & Orkney Dialect, that was great !"
"Hmmm... Okay... If you say so"

For me, it's a kind of book probably used for a wobbly table :oops:

Top Bottom