Now reading [books]

+
ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Yes, Sil. You like the series?
Yup, I do!The Belgaraid and the following Mallorean are good books in my opinion.However, I prefer Eddings Elenium and Tamuli, also The Redemption of Althalus.The only series I don't recommend to read from him is the "Godchild" series.

TheSilver said:
TheSilver said:
Yes, Sil. You like the series?
Yup, I do!The Belgaraid and the following Mallorean are good books in my opinion.However, I prefer Eddings Elenium and Tamuli, also The Redemption of Althalus.The only series I don't recommend to read from him is the "Godchild" series.
DAMN! This seems like ages since I red those (Belgaraid and the following Mallorean)! Tell me coz I thought the ending was a closed one...is there something more with Belgarion?

Well, apart of the Belgariad and the Mallorean, there's a book called the Rivan Codex and two (I believe) books on Polgara and Belgarath.

Oh Boy! The Dark Tower series is taking waaaayyy too long. :wall:I hate books that just carry on walking, walking, walking.... At least the first one Walked on away ;)

I have all of the Mallorean, Elenium, and book one of the Tamuli. I also have Belgarath the Sorcerer. Aren't garage sales great? =D They, along with many other books, are on my reading list. Now reading: Andre Norton's Witch World and The Complete Sherlock Holmes vol. I.

Just finished The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro. Um...I think I'll stick to del Toro's films from now on.Now it's onward to The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton.Artrerigrey: How did you like Faust 2? Mephistopheles is great, but I also love what happens to Homunculus near the end.

chlong7 said:
Mephistopheles is great, but I also love what happens to Homunculus near the end.
Amazing how these characters are torn in, around and between elsewhere's...Mephistopheles I remember was the Devil's name in Ghost Rider.Homunculus is actually the name of a Yu-Gi-Oh card.And I see no comparison whatsoever with Faust 2, though I did enjoy reading it long ago.
chlong7 said:
Um...I think I'll stick to del Toro's films from now on.
Um... Good Idea.

And I see no comparison whatsoever with Faust 2, though I did enjoy reading it long ago.
Sorry, I'm not being clear. I noticed that someone was reading Faust 2, and the Homunculus character in that play has a very funny exit scene even though he plays a relatively minor role in the plot. I was just wondering if it made anyone else laugh as much, especially since most people who read Faust stop at the end of part 1 and never get to part 2. It's definitely not relevant to my other reading or anything else. Glad to hear you liked it, though. Cheers. :beer:

Latest reading: 'Death's Head: Maximum Offence' by David Gunn. Second in a series of balls to the walls action SF of surprisingly high quality. It features a vast array of human and inhuman depravity as well as a body count usually found in films featuring detonations of nuclear devices. The protagonist Sven now tops my list of cool ill behaving dudes. First there is Sven, then there is nothing following nothing and only on fourth place Darth Vader :) 'Return of the Crimson Guard' by Ian Esslemont. Second book in the other series coexisting in the Malazan universe. Daggers after dark. Gods ascending and falling. War, strife, betrayal, death, rebirth ... The good stuff.Next book:'The Painted Man' by Peter V. Brett. Comes recommended as a real punch in the face of dark fantasy. U.S. title seems to be altered./Dan

I liked Faust 2, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first part. Goethe died before he could really finish it, so it could have used some expanding.

I read Michael Moorcock's The Eternal Champion. It's the beginning of all his books, all his heroes, and it's a good book. (Not very good, in my opinion, but still, a pleasurable reading). I like the fact that it isn't the most professional job i have ever read, Moorcock was very young when he wrote it, but you can see the writer's philosophical mood and deep thoughts in this book. Also, i read a selection of poems of a Poet named Czesław Miłosz. I read the poets in polish! I 'm learning the language one and a half year, and this book helps me a lot now. I didn't know the poet before, but i like him. He writes mostly for earth, grass, sea and rivers, and his thoughts are clear images, without hidden messages or grand words.

I am reading the first part of the Night Angel Trilogy, The Way of Shadows, from Brent Weeks. I was so bored down at my mother's, and my sister took me to the bookstore there. It was either that book or Orcs by Stan Nicholls's. I bought the book on a whim. It's a decent read. I think the dark realistic world pulled me in somewhat. After all, the realism is what drove me to get the Witcher, leading me to purchase the Last Wish and Blood of Elves (which I read and loved). Also, an assassin taking on an apprentice is what lead me to buy it.I'm a slow reader when I'm with my family (my sister and I tend to stay up at night watching anime she bought) and am only on page 135. I don't know how soon I will finish the book since classes start Monday. :)

Reading the Night Angel trilogy is a good choice. IMO it's more than decent fare. I've just finished The Painted Man (bloody great stuff, a bit like the Prince of Nothing trilogy) and I'm currently in the middle book of the Recursion/Capacity/Divergence SF series. It's a a not so distant future populated by a Human/AI culture. A genre I'v been partial too since Gibson - Neuromance, Stirling - Schismatrix, Benford - Galactic Center and the new English post-punk, new wave authors like Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Charles Stross .../Dan

dahura said:
Reading the Night Angel trilogy is a good choice. IMO it's more than decent fare.
Yep. It's a good book. I did finish it a few days ago before school started. I don't have much time to read right now. I do have to read Nickle and Dimed for my sociology class.As far as it being a decent fare, it is superbly written. I would agree. The ending left me breathless. Yet, the book (especially) the beginning is not for everyone.

Just finished reading 'The Steel Remains' by Morgan. It's top notch dark swords and sorcery fantasy with inspiration from Moorcock , Wagner, Farmer and other older golden age luminaries like Anderson and Leiber. It manages to combine the old school stories with a more realistic grey moral world and Moorcock and Farmer shocks. It's quite delightful to read full steam ahead and suddenly be turn the page and realize that you're up for quite another more intimate kind of swordplay. Next books are 'The Sorcerer of the North' (Ranger's Apprentice #5 after the first few chapters it is clear that it features more mature topics. The protagonist is after all a few years older and it's part of the second part of the chronicles). At the same time 'Locas II' by Jaime Hernandez will be read in parallel./Dan

Next books are the first six 'Nightside' series books by Simon R. Green. It looks pretty good after half the first book./Dan

Top Bottom