Now reading [books]

+
Some of the books I've been reading since last post: Infernal City - Placed in the world of Elder Scrolls. Interesting stuff ... Warbreaker - One volume fantasy epic. Extremely entertaining world with lots of throwaway inventiveness. Could easily been padded with fluff to a series to line some pockets. Shows that the Wheel of Time replacement write isn't some hack. Availablefor free electronically under Creative Commons. A Deepness in the Sky, A Fire Upon the Deep - Great Hard SF/Space Opera combo placed in the same universe. Desert Spear - Continuing the great Painted Man book. We get to know the origins of one evil dude. Turns out it doesn't make him any more likeable ;) Superb imagination at work. Best Served Cold - Companion piece to the First Law trilogy. Ever darker, ever more morally ambiguous. Could almost taste the blood :) House of Mystery - Very readable occult comic anthology. Dark Entries - Crime novelist Ian Rankin writes a Hellblazer album. Nuff said!

Currently reasding "Sacred Stone" by Clive Cussler. Just finished "Plague Ship" by him. He has several different series of books with different characters. These two are from the "Oregon Files" which is a specially fitted out ship.

I read Kenn Follet's "World without end". God, what an exhausting book! I can't stand so much conspiracy in one dose. And it's huge (1200 pages). I 'm at page 650, and have a looong way ahead. The reason i 'm counting pages, is of course that i don't enjoy the story. (How i 'd love to have a book of The Witcher with more than 2000 pages... Oh, what a sweet joy that 'd be). But i will read the whole book, because it's a precious source of information about the Medieval Europe.

Finished Dan Browns Lost Symbol (loved it), now starting 2nd part of Juraj Cervenak's Warlock (Juraj Cervenak is a slovak autor, according to wikipedia writes
novels which mix elements of sword and sorcery with historical fantasy and Slavic mythology.
Remids me of a Witcher books a lot, but not copying them :)

Finished Lynn Flewelling's 'The White Road'. It's an excellent entry in the Nightrunner series. It's not as dark and brutal a series as I usually like them with authors Weeks, Morgan, Cook and Abercrombie but the stories have a touch of 'The Sting' and my favourite conmen Locke Lamora and Omar the Storyteller. 'Turn Coat' was a home run Dresden entry. I'm in love with the new paperback format RoC uses. It actually speeds up reading and thus increases my immersion. /Dan

Im currently reading the 3rd Darth Bane book (excellent Star Wars series and thats from someone that doesnt like the Star Wars novels normally)Picking up the 3rd Mass Effect book tommorrow (just cause I wont buy anymore games doesnt mean the books and comics junk)Also rereading the entire Wheel of Time series (just been so long really) before I read the final bookHave given up trying to read Dantes Inferno (Italian poetry should be banned! LOL. I tried, I really tried to read this as you hear it mentioned in horror/occult so much but its just to much for me. Im not a poety reader)Earlier in thread someone asked if we ever wrote anything!Back in the early 90s I was role playing a Dark Elf online (hardcore Roleplay where you had to learn the dark elf language and everything) and I wrote some short so-operation stories there (sadly Ive lost those over the years). About 2 years ago I tried to write a sci fi story. Its all in my head but for what ever reason I just cant put it on paper! Quite fustrating to be honest!

Bought Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere in english :) Great story to read and practising english at the same time :)And also 3rd part of Diary of Wimpy kid! :D

So just picked up today:The Last Wish, Blood of Elves - Andrzej SapkowskiMass Effect : Retribution - Drew KarpyshynStar Wars : The Old Republic : Fatal Alliance - Sean WilliamsLOL, I should be set for a while now reading wise.As I said in earlier post, still reading Star Wars : Darth Bane : Dynasty of Evil - Drew KarpyshynAnd rereading the entire Wheel Of Time series - Robert Jordan

Just dipping in to the Star Wars universe by reading Death Troopers. A decent horror book but the use of Han and Chewie bummed me out a bit. IMO a blatant concession to the fan base as well as completely unnecessary. Bought a shopping bag full of Warhammer Fantasy that I'll dive in to. I can understand the trouble of reading Dante. He's more important for the historical impact he had on Italian literature than his modern applicability. For good Italian poetry from that period Francesco Petrarca is the man. A parallel can be drawn with the English writers Thackeray and Charles ******./DanEdit: Funnily enough the surname of one of the arguably greatest writers of the modern age is considered somehow improper. How exquisitely PC :)

dahura said:
Just dipping in to the Star Wars universe by reading Death Troopers. A decent horror book but the use of Han and Chewie bummed me out a bit. IMO a blatant concession to the fan base as well as completely unnecessary. Bought a shopping bag full of Warhammer Fantasy that I'll dive in to. I can understand the trouble of reading Dante. He's more important for the historical impact he had on Italian literature than his modern applicability. For good Italian poetry from that period Francesco Petrarca is the man. A parallel can be drawn with the English writers Thackeray and Charles ******./DanEdit: Funnily enough the surname of one of the arguably greatest writers of the modern age is considered somehow improper. How exquisitely PC :)
Awhile ago I bought 5 or 6 Star Wars books and they were crap to be honest!Pure and simple crap, unreadable, wouldnt wish on my worst enemy crap.I love the Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft and Mass Effect books so Im not against reading franchises but the Star Wars stuff was just juvinile crap.So d_ahura link, if you wanna read Star Wars I strongly suggest the 3 Darth Bane Novels only (Ill let you know about The Old Republic - Fatal Alliance).Not being a hater, just being honest here.

Read the first two Darth Bane books already. Actually good books. The trick with franchise books is knowing the writers. Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole for example are as close to a sure thing there is with the US writers. Closest equivalent in choosing to watch a movie based on actors would be Dennehy, Rooker and Hackman./Dan

Did someone read Metro 2033? Must say that this book is really good. If you liked Roadside Picnic (which I also recommend!) you will enjoy this Glukhovsky's piece.

I recently read Homo Ludens by Johan Huizinga. (Man the Player as opposed to Homo Sapiens/Man the Knower or Homo Faber/ Man the Maker for any of you who are as challenged in Latin as I am and never got any at all in school.)Anyway, it first appeared in 1938 and is sort of the great-granddaddy of contemporary game studies. Huizinga has a very conversational style for an academic, and it's a good read for anyone interested in the more abstract aspects of gaming in human society. It's also nice as an important part of the history of game/play theory. If theory's not your thing, skip it. Don't torture yourself. But if you're curious, there are fairly good entries on the book and the author in several languages on Wikipedia.For pure (and smart) fantasy fun, the collected short stories of Jorge Luis Borges are pretty awesome. :)

Hey guys I'm kinda new to the forum, currently reading:Blood of Elves(I hear the next one in the series, Times of Contempt or Czas Pogardy, is coming April next year, can't wait)Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne(a prequel to the hit video game)Dead Space Martyr(another prequel to the well-known horror videogame)The Eyes of the Dragon(bye Stephen King)

Hi Dharos.I see you read Blood of Elves. Have you also read The Last Wish? It's the first book of the series. If not, do it as soon as you can. It's where all begun. :)

Cassandra said:
Hi Dharos.I see you read Blood of Elves. Have you also read The Last Wish? It's the first book of the series. If not, do it as soon as you can. It's where all begun. :)
yes got it as soon as it came out, great anthology.
Cassandra said:
Bought Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere in english :) Great story to read and practising english at the same time :)And also 3rd part of Diary of Wimpy kid! :D
Have you read Neil Gaiman's American Gods? I highly recommend it.
Cassandra said:
Did someone read Metro 2033? Must say that this book is really good. If you liked Roadside Picnic (which I also recommend!) you will enjoy this Glukhovsky's piece.
No, but I saw there was a videogame based on it.I have been reading SW books for some time now and while the quality of them overall is kinda questionable I still think the Darth Bane novels are pretty good.

The reality is tormenting me inbetween my readings of Zbieracz Burz (Gatherer of Storms?), 2nd tome by Maria Lidia Kossakowska...(first one was Sower of the Wind)Protagonist - undead angel Daimon Fray known as Abbadon, Dancing on the Ashes.Good writing (some of the characters are amazingly funny being cynical), but great story and historical refs on demons, angels, heaven and hell - all in author's own crativity and interpretation.

Ι 'm finishing Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell". A great novel about magic. A story where magic is like any other science, just a little more complicated. And the secret is, that humans have forgot what magic was in early years, so that's now (1800) is so complicated. It has very atmospheric scenes, nice ideas about magic, and a fine sense of humor. I really enjoyed this book.

wisielec said:
The reality is tormenting me inbetween my readings of Zbieracz Burz
Gosh, I was waiting for it just after I red first tome. Unfortunately it wasn't a thick book and last only for one day :(Now I'm waiting for 4th tome of Pan Lodowego Ogrodu by Jarosław Grzędowicz.

I'm currently reading Stanislaw Lem's Eden. It's an amazing book, which provides a fairly different take on science fiction and how humanity actually interacts with other, non-human, species. Before that I read a book on a similar topic, again from Lem titled The Invincible. And next...I dunno yet, maybe Solaris (from the same author)...the man really makes you open your eyes and wonder. Broadens one's horizons and all that....then again, which book doesn't to that? ;)

Top Bottom