NPC popping/LOD: Last, desperate request

+
Just out of curiosity: How much Vram does the game use for you? On my 980, I rarely see it go above 1.5 gigs, which is weird, and may be related

I agree completely. Though im thinking it might be a long wait.

Actually i dont think they'll answer it at all. I think the answer will come from the community, as in we'll all just end up putting 2 and 2 together, like most of us have done already, but would prefer to remain in a state of self-doubt as we dont really want to believe that its been standardised for all platforms.

I have seen this quite a bit too. For some reason it's much worse in the farming area directly to the East of Novigrad -- the two Folwarks. A lot of the peasants will pop right in front of you. Intriguingly, the farm animals do not pop. For example, there are 2 or 3 NPCs surrounded by cows and some sheep. I could see all cows and sheep from far away, but all of the NPCs tending to them popped.

I agree with everything you guys have just said. I asked the support whether my "cell" theory makes any sense from a programming standpoint. I'm not sure they are allowed to answer it, but we'll see

Update: I shared my cell theory with the support, who claimed that both the feedback and the suggestion is very much appreciated, but there is nothing more they can suggest. Seems that we are on our own :( If anyone manages to find out something more, don't hold it back

And beard, helmet and detail pop-in during changes in camera angles is awful as well.
Same issue here on a Samsung 850 SSD. It's very rare but does occur in "cinematics" as well. Textures don't really pop in noticeably for me but NPC's will even though they are only 10 feet ahead in some cases. Novigrad doesn't seem to have as bad of an issue as just out in the wild on farmland.

Update: I shared my cell theory with the support, who claimed that both the feedback and the suggestion is very much appreciated, but there is nothing more they can suggest. Seems that we are on our own If anyone manages to find out something more, don't hold it back

I dunno, I guess it's something hardcoded in the umbra middleware? something like a black box for CDPR (again, pure assumption), so they cannot change anything beside the classic function input variables? meaning the pop-in is basically a bug (feature?) in the umbra engine, so CDPR does not have a say in the matter, or any way to alter the middleware code.
Anyway, that's really NOT reassuring this will be fixed any soon, if ever.

I dunno, I guess it's something hardcoded in the umbra middleware? something like a black box for CDPR (again, pure assumption), so they cannot change anything beside the classic function input variables? meaning the pop-in is basically a bug (feature?) in the umbra engine, so CDPR does not have a say in the matter, or any way to alter the middleware code.
Anyway, that's really NOT reassuring this will be fixed any soon, if ever.

Not sure. The startling thing is, according to the support guy, he was unable to reproduce the bug from my save on their machine. Meaning it is either some hardware incompatibility, or a driver fault, albeit a quite widespread one, judging from the fact that almost everyone seems to get this bug except the devs. Can there be a common denominator in hardware? XMP profiles? OC? GPU architecture?

---------- Updated at 04:44 PM ----------

Just something to add: I have the feeling that the people operating support tickets are not actually affiliated with the actual coding process. I can't believe that the person(s) responisble for creating the engine would not know at first glance what CAN plausibly cause such a bug. They coded it ffs. I guess we will not be getting a fix then, unless a few patches later they miraculously stumble upon the bug themselves, and fix it. It is nothing game breaking, but a fix would still be welcome

I've seen it on the PS4 version, too. Not in the countryside but the people flocking around the Church speakers in the city, soooo.....
I'm really wondering, at this point, if any version EVER was free of pop-in. I mean, when i got to Velen, game was already 1.03, so i don't know if 1.02 ever worked fine besides White orchard, which STILL works fine in 1.04 so maybe the game always had pop-in in the Velen area? don't know about skellige.
dunno, grasping at straws here.

I've seen it on the PS4 version, too. Not in the countryside but the people flocking around the Church speakers in the city, soooo.....
I'm really wondering, at this point, if any version EVER was free of pop-in. I mean, when i got to Velen, game was already 1.03, so i don't know if 1.02 ever worked fine besides White orchard, which STILL works fine in 1.04 so maybe the game always had pop-in in the Velen area? don't know about skellige.
dunno, grasping at straws here.

My observations are consistent with what you are saying. Orchard is indeed more or less free of pop-ins. Velen and Novigrad are more affected. Also keep in mind what has been said before, that fast traveling to an area, reloading the game, and meditating gets rid of pop-ins, at least for me on PC. I would be interested whther the same things work on PS4 as well, if you can, please try this for me:

Go (on horse) to an affected area (Oreton would be best) and see if there is pop-in. (there will be) Next, exit the game completely. Relaunch, load the same save, fast travel to Oreton, then before going on the wooden walkway, meditate just to be sure. Then see if there is pop-in. According to my tests, there will not be. Please, do post if you have results

There was little shadow and texture popins with 1.02 no NPC horrible POPins.
Patch 1.03 came and THERE WAS NO SHADOW OR TEXTURE POPINS they were gone .. however the NPC started to insta popin next to geralt ..
1.04 made all those things come together texture, shadow and NPC... to IMPROVE THE GAME .... yes CD RED ??? ??? you indeed improved the game according to CONSOLE standards ... "THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS "

Last edited:
I'm on PC too but i've seen videos of the PS4 version with the pop-in. Since rollback is still an option (via gog.com) I guess someone can confirm if 1.02 was really pop-in free. But of course they can' t use saves done in 1.04, so there will be the need to start a new game on 1.02, make some "npc pop-in risk saves" (LOL), upgrading to 1.04 and testing. It's a bit.... time consuming actually.
Anyway, I've put my mind at ease, i'll just wait for a few patches before playing again, hoping for a fix.

I'm on PC too but i've seen videos of the PS4 version with the pop-in. Since rollback is still an option (via gog.com) I guess someone can confirm if 1.02 was really pop-in free. But of course they can' t use saves done in 1.04, so there will be the need to start a new game on 1.02, make some "npc pop-in risk saves" (LOL), upgrading to 1.04 and testing. It's a bit.... time consuming actually.
Anyway, I've put my mind at ease, i'll just wait for a few patches before playing again, hoping for a fix.

I thought that 1.02 was pop-free, but a guy claimed that he is still playing 1.02 on GoG, and there IS pop-in, just not so much. Waiting for a fix may take a while, as the devs claimed they were unable to reproduce the issue. Judging from the sheer number of people chiming in here to add a +1, this seems unlikely. There is a bug in the engine, the best we can do is hope that the devs will also encounter it at some point.

so maybe the game always had pop-in in the Velen area?

No I played through the Velen and most of skelige before patch 1.03, I didn't notice this issue during that time. After getting 1.03 I didn't play that much and very little in cities(and when I was I fast traveled to them so...), my vacation ended and was only playing 30 minutes to hour at a time, but still didn't notice this issue. After installing 1.04 I noticed it right away and last night played for two hours it was very noticable as well as a couple other graphic glitches that I never noticed previously. If this pop-in existed before 1.03 I would of noticed it as I was fast traveling a lot less and moving throughout large cities much more...

So maybe patch 1.03 made it worse and 1.04 made it much worse, but I never noticed anything like this before 1.03

I thought that 1.02 was pop-free, but a guy claimed that he is still playing 1.02 on GoG, and there IS pop-in, just not so much. Waiting for a fix may take a while, as the devs claimed they were unable to reproduce the issue. Judging from the sheer number of people chiming in here to add a +1, this seems unlikely. There is a bug in the engine, the best we can do is hope that the devs will also encounter it at some point.

Could be me - I am still using 1.02, for me the most stable version. There are indeed NPC pop ins, but rather rare and somehow more unobtrusive. I did not see NPC pop ins, until i stepped back from 1.03, since 1.03 fixed nothing for me, but had NPC pop ins and other small problems. I never used 1.04, after reading the forums here and reading the changelog - there was nothing I wanted...

So yes, NPCs pop in with 1.02 too, but I started to notice it with 1.03, before 1.03 I did not notice NPCs, who become visible near Geralt. But it happens with 1.02 too.

One thing, which seems to a factor in this all: I know, that many players today use fast travel. I am very grateful to CDPR, that they did not, what Bethesda did in Skyrim: Beth simply assumed all would use fast travel, and designed the entire game around it. CDPR did not. So I avoid fast travel nearly every time, even when it means riding across Velen. This is an immersion thing for me. I used fast travel maybe 2-3 times in my game (level 16, questing in Novigrad). And this fast travel I also used out of character, since Geralt was massively overloaded, and there were no vendors near. Normally I find it interesting to plan a journey, to select boat or horse...

So - I am probably an 'untypical' player. We should stress to support, that the problem happens, if somebody does not want to use fast travel. People who use fast travel always when possible will not see the problem, or it will be rare for them...

Top Bottom