NPC popping/LOD: Last, desperate request

+
NPC popping/LOD: Last, desperate request

Hello! As some of you might already have noticed, I have been trying to get the NPC popping/LOD issues to the devs' attention since the day they were first introduced by 1.03 (1.04 for some). I have made two posts on steam, one on GoG, two posts here on CDPR, and sent two support tickets. All the forum threads revealed that a great many people are suffering from obnoxious NPC popping all around. In these posts, I also summarized everything known about the issue, including the circumstances and locations in which it is most prone to occuring, and the workarounds that temporarily alleviate the issue. Despite all my efforts, I only received a single reply from support, asking me to send my saves, in case the issue remains after 1.04. I did so, and received no further help. I visit these forums daily, and can't help but notice that seemingly insignificant bugs (crafting, UI, quest triggers) get multiple dev replies, whereas something fundamental, affecting every second of the game experience (pop-in) and ruining immersion apparently goes unnoticed/unanswered/ignored. I am aware that the devs are working their asses off to amend the quest and gameplay bugs, so that people can finish the game, but still, the fact that the LOD problems go without notice is alarming. I would be extremely disappointed if the increased NPC pop-in turns out to be a feature, introduced so that people who have been unable to get a decent gaming PC for ten years can run the game. Unfortunately, the evidence so far very much points to this being the case. If the devs acknowledged it as a bug, and were working on fixing it, we would already have received some official confirmation of this state of affairs, at least something along the lines of "We are aware of the issue, and working on it". Yet, we have seen no indication of this, no mention of LOD in discussions of the upcoming 1.05 patch, and no reassurance that the issue will be fixed.

I am running a 4770k with an overclocked 980 Strix, and 16 gigs of ram. I had absolutely no issues with the game before 1.03, no quest bugs, no LOD popping, no nothing. Game played and looked flawless. I (and several others) are getting impatient. I absolutely am in love with the game, and greatly respect the developers for having created such a masterpiece. Still, I ask the devs (for the n-th time) to post here, and confirm, or deny that the NPC pop-in is a bug, and is being investigated/fixed soon. I am not demanding anything unrealistic here, such as a hotfix this afternoon. I am also not driven by a personal agenda. I would merely like to play the game as intended, along with the thousand others who are getting disgusting pop-in. A simple "yes, it will be fixed" or "no, it is a feature" would make a world of difference.I am also willing ti provide details, saves, etc. to help tracking down the problem.

Thank you all for your help and cooperation

Yours:

BaaaaL

I am interested in this NPC pop in issue, mostly because I don't seem to be affected and I'm curious as to what is causing it. How severe is your NPC pop in?

It's reasonable to expect some pop in, because the engine streams data. Thats just the name of the game. But if NPCs are popping in obnoxiously every 3 feet, then yeah, something isn't right..

Is your game installed on a HDD or SSD? I have mine on an SSD. Also, I have the pagefile disabled on my system. I noticed that with recent patches, the VRAM and RAM usage both increased which implies that the game is caching more data..

It is installed on a standard HDD, but people with SSD raid setups are also getting it. Hell, even people with RAM drives are getting it. It is not "every 3 feet", but there are numerous NPCs in the game that load only when you are already 2 meters from them. Try going to Oreton on horse, and walk along the wooden railing. Fast traveling loads every NPC properly, may be the reason why some people don't notice. Also, it is always the same couple of NPCs that are affected, the rest are visible from miles away, so it is definitely not normal.

This guy on YouTube showed a video of some severe NPC pop in. His is pretty bad, but we have to figure out why some people are affected more than others..

Where's Oreton? I don't think I've been there yet. I'll test it out though..

Mine is very similar. However, there is one thing to keep in mind: Some people equate the LOD issues with the NPC pop-in. This is incorrect. Whatever pops in due to LOD distance being lower than normal (as it is since the patches) disappears when you back up. These NPCs remain loaded once they appear, and remain visible from extreme distances, like the rest of the NPCs that loaded normally. Oreton is located down south, towards the middle of Velen. Also, the issue is basically nonexistent in White Orchard. It is Velen and Novigrad that got shafted. Also keep in mind that if you die in an area, and reload, there will be no pop-in, as every NPC loads when the game is reloaded, and you are in the same area. We can exclude driver issues, I had no problems before 1.03. It is not hardware-related either.

OK I found it and I just went there. I was in Oxenfurt which is far away, so I fast traveled to that Manor north of Oreton and then rode Roach the rest of the way..

When I got there, I did as you suggested and walked along that wooden platform and found no pop in issues EXCEPT one guy at the end who was sitting down. He popped in when Geralt was about 10 feet away. But he was the only one. The other villagers on the other side were always visible at long distances too..

Try this if you haven't.

1) If you have the GoG or Steam version, use the verify function to make sure all the files are intact.

2) Delete your user.ini file in the documents folder.

3) Restart the game and re-enter all of the settings you've been using since you first had the game and had no pop in issues.

Eh, if you want to get attention follow the proper route and send them a ticket via tech support. That's exactly what I did regarding worse performance and NPC pop-in on 1.04 and I had a response the follow day. Dev team is aware.

What response did you get mateuszskraba? I also sent a message to tech support explaining the pop-in problem. But the reply I got did not acknowledge that this was an issue that needed to be fixed.

Did you read my post? I spent TWO support tickets. One advised me to change the population density setting to ultra (which it was on to begin with) and the other requested my saves. After I sent them, absolutely nothing happened.

---------- Updated at 01:48 PM ----------

I admit, the ipopping is not always as horrible. On at least one occassion, I got less popping in Oreton, after having spent some time in the neighboring area before entering the village proper. But as the example shows, the issue is there for everyone, but not to the same extent. That's why I think it has nothing to do with damaged files, or whatever. I also thought about starting a new game, and seeing if the issue persists. Perhaps the save file itself did not take kindly to being used through three version updates.

I am not sure that this issue was not there before patch 1.03. I remember NPC pop in in the beginning area of the game (in the small ruined settlement near White Ochard) Unfortunately i can't say with 100% certainty that this was before or after patch 1.03. These patches came to soon and maybe most people were in the beginning area of the game where the issue was not so intense.
Right now in Velen things are very bad with certain areas having characters pop in one after another as i walk through them. One stupid solution is to quicksave and then reload that save... NPC's now appear as they should although constantly saving and loading is just as immersion braking as watching people pop in in front of you. I hope they solve it soon.

Yeah, I totally agree. Many people are experiencing the same issue, yet, still no dev reply. Not even a "yes, it will be fixed" :(

If it is related to a patch then they will probably solve it as they simply need to revert some of the tweaks they made with said patch.
If on the other hard this is something more serious like related to the games code then we may have to learn to live with it for a while...
Right now i remember my brother telling me to not play such games so close to their release date... I wish i could wait.

In my case this is not a general problem. I can ride through Novigrad and see many people far in the distance (visibility spec: medium).

But sometimes in some village in Velen there are people popping up directly in front of me. This problem is not the result of some hardware/software specification. This is cleary a bug in the code. So please CDPR, investigate it.

May be they just teleport in the area like witches constantly do in the game. So if RED can't solve it then at least they could add a teleportation effect for the NPC's that pop in, right in front of us.
:p

Last edited:
I have this. Its crazy. Happens a lot with the scenes where a priest is yelling at a crowd of peasants. It will just be me running by then they all pop up on top of me as I am passing them.I have just one partition on a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO. My CPU is under spec being an i5-760 running at 3.36G.

Well, if it was a "feature" of the engine itself, it would have been this bad at release as well. My best bet is still on the texture streaming system somehow getting messed up with the purpose of allowing people with substandard machines to run the game. This may explain why some people reported reduced VRAM usage after 1.03 (1.04 again increased the VRAM usage, as a negative LOD bias was added, with a higher res texture being streamed when close) I am not very hopeful it will be fixed. If my prediction is correct, this was tweaked on purpose, in which case they have no reason to change it, and lose the customers they gained with "optimizing" the game. I hope this is not the case though, as the game is definitely my GOTY so far, and is a masterpiece in every single respect I can think of.

There are far smarter ways to help people with substandard machines to play than having NPC's appear in front of our noses. I do not agree with the idea that this is done on purpose. Highest possibility is that it is some kind of glitch introduced accidentally with the latest patches but it could be a shortcoming of the games engine as well. And it could be there from start, only people didn't have the time to see it and report it as patch 1.03 came so fast.

Top Bottom