NR golden combo deck detailed guide

+
NR golden combo deck detailed guide

Hey guys,
I decided to share with you my current deck in hope that you might enjoy playing it as much as I am.
Here it is:http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8741-0-...en-shroom-boys

Gameplan:
Thin out your deck with reaver hunters 1st turn and if opponent is a heavy control, try setting up Poor man infantry with 2* Mardroeme on them.
Then there are 2 main comboes: 1) Shani + Poor man infantry (buffed to 11 base str) for very interactive 31 golden strenght - this you mostly use against weather or heavy control
2) Margarita + towers + Henselt - against combo heavy decks to outstrenght them. If you put Yeneffer and promote in the combo, you should be able to comfortably win.

Cards justification:
Poor man infantry: In control match-ups they are here to soak up the removals that would otherwise go for reaver hunters and towers. And if you manage to stick one (out of 6, so its pretty likely)
buff them with Mardroeme for Shani combo.
Reaver hunters: They are here to thin your deck out for turn 2, so that you will get combo pieces you need to win. They are necessary to get out and they are easily the most vulnerable part of this decks combo. Dont hesitate to revive them if you have more than one revive card in hand. It will help you get much better draws in later turns and with Priscilla.
Nenneke, Baron, Shani: Revives for Reaver hunters, Priscilla, buffed Poor man inf. or Margarita. You generaly dont waste them on anything else unless forced to. Shani excels in Poor man inf. combo and BaronsLubberkin can be returned to hand with Decoy, so keep that in mind as well as Pris and Nenne. (Those are the usual targets for decoy anyways)
Towers: Here for Henselt + margarita combo. Try playing them later on in the game when opponent wasted removals on your other units, they are vulnerable. Dont try to keep them against heavy controls, they wont stick. Rely on other cards.
Geralt:Igni, Scorch, Alzurs thunder, Síle de Tansarville: Your removals for combo heavy opponents, making sure that your combo will have more power than theirs.
Priscilla: Same thing as Reaver hunters, this is thinning up your deck for the comboes, extremely useful if you look for the right removal you dont have in hand.
other cards are not that essential to describe I think, but if you are curious about anything, ask me.

Possible replacements:
Síle is a candidate to remove either for some deck thinning effect like Thaler, Prince Stennis or even Alzurs double cross to look for Margarita easier. (Dont think its needed that much tho) other possibilities are other control tools like: Myrgtabrakke (dont have him) or Pavetta (dont have her too). Esp. Pavetta could be interesting since you can make most of your board golden. It could however interfere with Margarita combo.
Renew is an interesting replacement for Yennefer, since it enables you to play your Shani twice. And as we all know Shani is the best card in your deck. It however makes you rely much more on combo no.1. I once again dont have Renew, but if you meet lot of control heavy decks and you think control is meta I fully encouradge you to do this swap.
Gerald: Aard + weather instead of Geralt:Igni, Scorch, Yenn or Síle. Aard is really overpowered now imho. Downside is that this could once again interfere with your own comboes. Havent tested this one extensively, if you do test it and tell me your results I would be very happy.I have a strong feeling the combo is getting nerfed in the future tho.

Current match ups:
Monsters:
You are currently meeting hybrid weather deck, that yo counter very hard with Shani + poor man combo or value decks, that you can burn down with Igni and Scorch while you combo out of their control. This is main reason this deck is so good now. Monster match ups are very positive for you in my experience.

Scoia'tael: Scoia control is a tricky match up with firebolt traps and I think its 50/50. If he lets you only very slightly combo any of your plans, he lost. But if he knows what you are doing and has a good hand he can shut you down so that you are reliant only on your gold cards. Granted you have 6 of them realisticaly (Shani and Yen counts for 2) and if you sneak in Henselt and promote your match up is positive. So - dont worry Henself and promote almost anythin he didnt controled right away. Just pay attention if you evaluated his deck well and didnt suboptimaly used it against another type of deck than hard control.
Dwarves are almost extinct but you can just control them with ur removals and combo Margarita.
Combo elves I havent ever met after patch, so no experience how they might be build.

Northern realms: Control Radovid is another one of your prey, you are just too golden for him. Once again go hard for Shani +poor man combo and you are literally golden. Once again dont worry to suboptimaly use Henselt or promote. Margarita combo is completely dead since even if u revive her with Shani he can Radovid it.
In mirror you play control. its crucial you save Síle or idealy Mardroeme for his reaver hunters, which screwes him over very hard. Alzurs thunder for Redanian elites if he runs them or Margarita, so he has to use some of his revives. The rest of your hand should go for Margarita + tower + Henselt combo. Just try combo harder.

Skellige: It got hit pretty hard this patch and is not a frequent match up. If you meet them they usualy play revive Dbomb combo. Save your Scorch and GIgni until last possible moment. Card advantage is crucial since if he revives last he usualy wins. So be greedy with cards, things like decoy, reaver hunters and Priscilla are valuable. Try getting rid of poor man inf combo. If you are unlucky and get Mardroeme anyways use it to lower his base strenght. If you are skilled player I think you should win, but this match up requires solid game plan and precise execution.
Other options are discarding or/and debuffing combo decks. I dont think those are very good now and you should not meet them often. You combo harder. Be greedy. Once again try not getting poor man combo cards like Mardroeme, Poor man inf. or first light.

General way of thinking playing this deck/Gwent:
Evaluate match up. That is the bread and butter of the game. You need to know what your opponent can do to you and play to counter that. Dont get self-absorbed in your own comboes and think for your opponent first, that is the way to win. If you have general idea of his deck, every turn imageine possible risks of every play and decide to take them or not. On the other hand dont be afraid to take risks. If you play safe all the time you will possibly lose much more than if you take some well calculated risks.
Those are very general tips for you how to think when you play. Hope you can use some of those and if my point of view is flawed, dont hesitate to share yours, I am open to your ideas!

Conclusion:
So, that was long and exhausting, if you have read it all I think you should have solid understanding what you are doing. In my hands this particular deck has around 70 - 75% winrate and i dont doubt you can get better than that if you correctly evaluate match ups and play precisely. Good luck out there and don hesitate to ask me what interests you. Thank you all for reading.

Good guide. Though dropping a gold in favor of Renew for double Shani seems to be an improvement. Maybe also take an extra shroom.

Hey man, thank you for your reply and input!
Thing is it all depends on the meta. If you meet a lot of control heavy match ups, I would definitely put in Renew (not the extra shrom tho, you dont want too many in your hands). The deck how it is now is build to be balanced and has as possible winning potential against as wide variaty of the decks as possible.
With overgrown Renew + Shani + shroom men combo, you would suffer in mirror (and after this guide I expect more mirrors, because I think the deck is very good) and in Skellige match ups. Also in against some weird monster breeder, dwarves and so on match ups that are not very common now.
So its up to you :) I feel that in match ups that you need Shani combo against you are already dominant enough.

I tried your deck build today. My win rate was about 50%. I just don't think gold spam is powerful enough at this point :(

My 2 cents: Or you go full margaritaville, or you go with full control or you go with full infantry combo. Trying to stick all together on the same package wont work, worse; it will only weaken every single one of those strategies and thus weakening the whole deck. Hell, even the leaders are different: for margaritaville be effective you need henselt, for control be effective you need radovid and for infantry be effective you need foltest.

Top Bottom