NR is so OP that the game is broken, IMO.

+

Guest 4368728

Sorry to make the complaint but I am tired of being continuously beaten by NR using their artifact and machines and warfare cards. It is insanely unfair, even when using locking units etc to counter, and makes the game pointless to play. I mean the game right now really is utterly pointless to play unless you play NR using clear-the-gameboard artillery. I think it is broken. I hope the devs can fix the balancing. I've invested a lot of money (!) in this game but if it is not fun anymore then the money tap gets turned off.

I would suspect that others feel the same. My apologies to moderators if this topic has already been posted elsewhere since the latest release of new cards. I'm just a fan of the game who wants a fair and balanced competition. Again, I hope this problem can be fixed and soon.

UPDATE: post-patch 5th of March 2020. Just want to thank the devs for the changes. In my opinion, the non-replayability of the scenario card and the removal of 'inspired' from the Reinforced Trebuchet card both make for a far better experience. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Its true, NR is at the top of the meta, and the fact that it so obviously needs nerfs and yet there wasnt any balance change at all at new season yesterday, and we will have to endure another full season of this is ridiculous.

NR can use Pincer Maneuver, the BEST LEADER ABILITY IN THE GAME (and somehow still have 165provisions), and have a deck with Falibor, Philippa, NR Scenario (considered the best scenario), Radeyah and Prince Anseis that have a ridiculous combo that can give up to 29pts (8 Radeyah, 7 Anseis, 14 removal) for 20provisions.

People complain about NG Poison and SC Harmony too, which also deserve some fine-tuning, but nothing is as oppressive as NR right now, they're getting close to how dominant Monsters were a year ago.

I think NR is the worst right now. Worst than NG. You can play around poison but the NR scenario is just too strong. They get 2 engines when playing one so even if you get rid of one, you're always late. And between the points generated by the siege engines and the points given through the bombardment, the value is insane for cheap 4/5 p cards.
I think the problem lies in the fact that right now, NR is super strong with high provision cards like Falibor, Filipa, Anseis, Baron, and the scenario replayed with caretaker, and fill the deck with low provision siege engines and removals. Add to that pincer maneuver which has been ludicrously overpowered for half a year now and you get the best easiest deck.
Change the scenario somehow (in general I would remove the prologue, or make it trigger on warfare cards so you don't get 2 bodies each time), lower falibor to 5 strength, give Filipa the limitation she had in beta not to target the same unit twice in a row, remove Anseis formation, leave baron as is (because it's an interesting card, strong yes but not overpowered compared to axii for example) and by the eternal flame please, pleaaaase do something about pincer maneuver (remove 10 provision or add a limitation)

There are ways to counter it so if you hate them I suggest countering it hard. NG with artifact removal can get the job done

Siege engines and scenarios needed to be updated but of course CDPR chose to do no balance patch.

They probably are working on something else at the same time. I hope maybe the arena rework so the next patch will be bigger.

I have played with artifact removal, I have even made a couple decks with viviene and heatwave but even so, when 2/3 of the scenario is already done in one turn, you don't get much return. Especially heatwave, it removes it, which is great, but you loose one turn and they still get one or two engines :shrug:

According to this https://teamaretuza.com/meta-snapshot/ Lockdown Radeyah beats it, so gl guys. Other than that i had some decent results with a deck that can push in round 2 forcing them to play scenario and use leader ability, if you pass after they play scenario and you dont have any units on the range row, they will be getting "only" 8 points from the scenario plus points of whatever siege engine they used, so there is a chance they won't get card advantage.

But overall I completely agree, it's OP. Pincer Maneuver was already OP and now they got a card that makes it even better... And on top of that Radeyah is the best in NR.

You know something is wrong when the answer to beating a deck is playing usurper/lockdown...

I like the 'only' 8 points. I remember when homecoming was patched, passing with a 10 points headstart equaled a good chance of getting card advantage or the opponent to use a winning combo. Now you get that with a 4p bronze and even having 30 points doesn't assure you CA, like at the end of beta.
Like drowning pool says in the eponymous song:
'We've come
Full circle'

DRK3

Forum veteran
There are 2 versions of this OP NR BS right now (there are more, but these are the most rage-inducing):

the one that is more balanced, with all of the factions OP cards and plays the scenario once.

then there's the scenario "all-in" that uses scenario, caretaker scenario (R2) and renew-caretaker-scenario (R3).

Since i hate the latter even more than the former, i made a NG lockdown deck to traumatize these players. The usurper ability is to stop them from advancing to ch.1 immediately. Then i use Yens Invocation (you can use Heatwave if you dont plan on using it against them), and most of them just forfeit at that point.

The ones that dont forfeit get this:
double NR scenario.jpg

The problem with the solution with weather (apart from the fact that weather was hated before and hated until it became what it is today, which is not much), is that you don't fix the problem of those cards, you just force players to include cards that will only be good against this or that and that is not healthy. There is a difference between running an artifact removal just in case or a tall unit removal, and spending half your provisions to tech heavily against one deck, or several techs against several decks (you need a couple purify to counter poison and defender, you need a couple artifact removal to counter multiple scenarios, you would need several weather to counter different types of units, etc etc). It is not healthy to have to include a lot of cards that are useful only in certain circumstances.
You should be able to create a deck that suits a playstyle, and have the choice of letting go of a card that strengthen your deck to replace it with a card that will counter something else. I have recently found myself filtering to add Yrden, Vivienne, Heatwave and/or purify at the beginning of any deckbuilding because without these, there is no way to beat half the decks you encounter in rank and even with those, you have to hope the opponent is not particularly good and that you get a good hand. AND that you can still manage to keep up in points without falling behind :shrug:

OP I just played against a NR siege deck at rank 5. I hope you smile briefly because I scorched the hell out of him in the last round to just about clear his board and seal victory.

That's what siege players get :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
@StvAce It seems you arrived to Gwent a few years late - weather used to be as popular as you say you wish it would be now.

In closed beta, it was everywhere, since it was one of the few mechanics the game had, not like right now where we have like 20 mechanics, a few exclusive to each faction.

There was even a weather leader (Monsters) - Dagon - that was dominant several times, but i dont think they plan to bring it back, but maybe that's exactly what weather needed right now, to bring it back.

Top Bottom