nVidia driver 461.09 worsens performance!

+
I installed 461.09 driver today. Performance got drastically worse - my GPU is 2080ti - used RTX most of the time, but now when I drive thru the city, game drops to 10 FPS I used to have pretty stable 60 + - 80 outside of the city on DLSS auto.

Now the game runs like shit. 460 was better - way better

May this serve as a warning for you, friends - maybe dont use this driver.

I always recommend not updating constantly to the latest version of everything. My general rule of thumb is always: "If there's no problem -- change nothing."

Still using Nvidia Reference 460.79 on my GTX 980 ti. Running extremely well. About 40-56 FPS everywhere, Ultra settings at 1920x1080. (Needed to update from Windows 7 to 10 to get the game working, and 460.79 definitely improved overall performance for me. That's my new holding place until there's a reason to change.)

This latest update was to patch some security flaws. I didn't notice any issues with my 3080, but I understand your frustration. I would roll back the driver.

Clean install of my nvidia driver fixed it for me. Do a reinstall of the driver, choose 'custom', not 'express', then click the button for clean install. Shut down cyberpunk and gog while you do it.

hmm I tried rolling it back to 460.79 looks like it performs really even better than 460.89 - so werid xD
I have no issues on 461.09
RTX 2080 / 3700x

^ Precisely. Different system configs will yield different results. There is no one, universal answer that will work for everyone. And it's entirely possible for people with "seemingly" identical configs to get exactly opposite results with the same drivers. (In other words, give me two, identical, off-the-shelf systems from Best Buy or something, hand them to two different people, and 6 months later, I'll show you two, totally different configs. And if the PC hardware is custom-built -- there's no surefire way of telling what will work best.)

The trick is ensuring we learn the "personalities" of our unique systems. Once we figure out the quirks and oddities of what our systems like the best, then it's wise to leave it completely alone. The modern habit of "always stay up-to-date-!" is a mixed bag. Not a bad idea for things like security software and such, but it's actually prone to introducing problems for things like drivers. GPU drivers especially are not "better" as new versions are released -- they're different. Specific driver versions are normally customized to deliver optimized performance on certain titles for certain hardware. Obviously, if things are changed in the future, they will be focused on either different programs and/or different hardware.

So, once you find a balance that seems to work for your rig -- you've done it! You've found a balance. If you change something, chances are you'll upset the balance. (But the time will eventually come. Can't keep it the same forever. I'd say on average I update drivers maybe once or twice a year at most. On the 980 ti, I always keep the 385.69 drivers around, however. Those worked magnificently, and I've rolled back to them numerous times to play older titles. I ended up using that version for about 3 years' straight, I think.)

Clean install of my nvidia driver fixed it for me. Do a reinstall of the driver, choose 'custom', not 'express', then click the button for clean install. Shut down cyberpunk and gog while you do it.

It's also critical to gut your drivers before rolling back. Even using the CLEAN installation option is not guaranteed to provide a 100% complete roll-back. When drivers are uninstalled, certain system files are left in place, and these files may contain references to present hardware/software configs. When installing an older version, these files will not be overwritten by Nvidia's installation, as the existing files are newer. That can create a situation where the same problems remain or new problems are introduced. To perform a full roll-back:

1.) Grab the driver version you want from Nvidia / AMD, and be sure you have the utilities listed below installed. (On Windows 10, I'd recommended disconnecting from the internet at that point. By default, Win10 will auto-install the latest drivers it can find whenever the PC restarts. That's the opposite of what we want.)

2.) Uninstall your drivers using Windows Control Panel or the Nvidia / AMD uninstallation options.

3.) Use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove any and all Nvidia / AMD files from your system.

4.) Use CCleaner to scan and fix Registry errors. This will find empty Registry keys that no longer link to anything and deleted them, ensuring more recent toggles for certain things are not auto-re-applied when you install the older drivers. Generally, this is perfectly safe, as an empty key is an empty key -- but the option to back up the Registry is there if you want to use it. Be sure you run the scan over and over again until it reports back "No issues were found." Restart the PC. Run the scan repeatedly again until the "No issues" report appears. Keep on restarting and scanning repeatedly until the scan returns "No issues" immediately after restarting. (This normally happens on the first restart. If you have an older Windows installation and have never cleaned the Registry before, it might take a few rounds. But it's also a matter of seconds for every scan, so it doesn't take long.)

5.) Now, install the older driver version, ensuring you choose the CLEAN installation option. I recommend not installing things like Geforce Experience, as its "optimizations" are normally far off the mark. I find it often underplays the power of the hardware for no reason -- inherently configuring game settings at well below what the hardware is capable of. Always best to learn your specific rig over time and manage things yourself.

That ensures you've got a true roll-back installation of a prior driver version. And it's truly not a difficult process. The steps above take only about 10-15 minutes total once you're familiar with them. Upgrading back to a newer version is simply a matter of installing the new drivers again -- no extra steps needed.

And, as always: these are my, personal recommendations based on my own experience. This is not official CDPR Support. Results are not guaranteed, and problems might pop up at any point. Computers are temperamental.

Last edited:
never install new drivers if old ones are working fine.... i'm using original drivers provided by card manufacturer (MSI) because every time i install drivers directly from NVidia, i have occasional black screens... and surprise - Cyberpunk 2077 runs just fine on my PC.. (i'm using drivers version 441.20)

48-81fps high/ultra filmgrain and cromatic (off) SSR (off) all rt effects (on) lighting (med) dlss (quality)
win10 20H2 all updates (up to date)
i7-4790K@4.4ghz
ddr3 2400mhz
rtx2070oc v461.09
driver version has made little to no diff to me

I don't know, for me is really strange.
With these new drivers, I could play for two sessions at high graphic (I own a GTX1070 nd i7-7700HQ) with 60 fps.
Then no more, now I play at medium/high with 85% texture scaling. But it seems that my GPU does not work at 100%...

Top Bottom