Nvidia HairWorks

+
Nvidia HairWorks

Does anyone know if this feature affects all hair in game or just select characters? I understand it's quite a performance hit but it's very cool. Thanks

Does anyone know if this feature affects all hair in game or just select characters? I understand it's quite a performance hit but it's very cool. Thanks

As far as I know, all hair and even fur (ie. the bear) is effected... to what level, though, I don't know.

definitely not all. walking into a village would melt your pc into a puddle.

edit: this is what I'm basing that on. even if it was an unoptimized build and it's much better now, I can't see everyone in let's say Novigrad having fancy hair. maybe in cutscenes.
View attachment 13226

Attachments

• Névtelen.png
    Névtelen.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
A recent review showed Geralt, horse and trophies as well. I'm hoping its main characters like Triss and Yennifer too.

Select characters and objects, all would be ridiculous taxing. However CDPR is using their own hair tech for others anyway so those that aren't HairWorks won't look 'crap'.

Select characters and objects, all would be ridiculous taxing. However CDPR is using their own hair tech for others anyway so those that aren't HairWorks won't look 'crap'.

Can you or someone from DEV team can answer, is RED's own hair tech is what we will see on all 3 platform or is this what we saw in January footage? I mean is there 3 type of hair tech?
1.default, which we saw most of youtuber's video
2.January( RED's own tech) hair which was amazing on Geralt.
3.Nvidia hairwork which we saw from Angry joe video? Not as good as January one for me.

Or the January footage was hairwork too? Please @sidspyker answer this question because the January one was amazing for me.

Speaking of Hairworks.... i am more interested in:

Is NVidia Physx a Global ON /OFF and can we choose which particular Physx feature we
want to have in the game? But well that might be a good question for the upcoming Q/A too

Even so Physx isn t behind the Hairworks feature at all.
THX @sidspyker for the get me that info ;)

I guess. I would deactivate Hairworks for example, but might have more particles instead ;) heheheh
We will see.

Last edited:
@amfibiya89 In-house tech is used on all 3 platforms far as I know, HairWorks is an addition on PC which you can use if you want. If you like the non-HairWorks one then just turn off HW.

I don't know the answer to the rest of your questions.

Maybe HairWorks will be used on some armors as well ? Like these with last upgrades.

I saw it on some armor in one of the initial screenshots (when HairWorks was announced TW3) but I can't find that screenshot anymore. It would be cool but might be costly in terms of performance.

So if there are 2 hair techs in the game that means that the hair we saw in january footage(except the last scene) is no longer in the game and was changed to not be so demanding on hardware. So bye bye beautiful hair :(

So if there are 2 hair techs in the game that means that the hair we saw in january footage(except the last scene) is no longer in the game and was changed to not be so demanding on hardware. So bye bye beautiful hair
No. The default hair is not good for me. I asked because of January build hair work. So it seems i will never be happy with hair.

I think all the footage is a mess of confusion and not really knowing what was or wasn't activated, especially when it comes to Hairworks.

We're chilling at just over 2 weeks until release, I'd say it's the perfect time to just wait and see. If what you see come May 19th doesn't match up to what you saw in January, then that'd be cause for disappointment and frustration (And I would be hugely shocked if anything that was shown in January has since disappeared).

So if there are 2 hair techs in the game that means that the hair we saw in january footage(except the last scene) is no longer in the game and was changed to not be so demanding on hardware. So bye bye beautiful hair :(

Why you guys take everything to potential removal of features and downgrades ? It is impossible to use techs like HairWorks/TressFX on all characters and objects because it would be too demanding (regardless of how powerful PC you have). As far as I know it's being used on everything that needs it including Geralt, Bears, Wolves, Griffon, Trophies and Horse. Recently HairWorks was shown on Horse hairs and they look beautiful.

It looks present for important characters as well (according to these screenshots)

Whether they still exist or not, we can find once the game is out instead of jumping to conclusions.

FFS, does everything need to be present in every scene ever or it's removed? Enough with the 1 or 0 nonsense.

I asked because of January build hair work. So it seems i will never be happy with hair.
I don't know what you mean that was different, the only thing I remember about this 'January' build which was different was the beach footage where Geralt aims with the crossbow so the camera goes closer to his shoulder and shows visible strands, probably LoD0 because of proximity. Someone got a video WITH TIMESTAMP to share what exactly is being referred to?

And HairWorks in Ghosts there were 2 different modes of HairWorks - Medium and High so also take that into consideration.

changed to not be so demanding on hardware.
:rly?:
(if Far Cry 4 is any indication)HairWorks already eats 10-15fps by itself, how much more demanding do you want?

Why you guys take everything to potential removal of features and downgrades ? It is impossible to use techs like HairWorks/TressFX on all characters and objects because it would be too demanding (regardless of how powerful PC you have). As far as I know it's being used on everything that needs it including Geralt, Bears, Wolves, Griffon, Trophies and Horse. Recently HairWorks was shown on Horse hairs and they look beautiful.

It looks present for important characters as well (according to these screenshots)

Whether they still exist or not, we can find once the game is out instead of jumping to conclusions.

these screens are with HW off dude

What I noticed in the gameplay videos is, that only Geralt's hair is affected by the wind?.. Vesemir's hair doesn't move in any way, but Geralt is standing right next to him, and his hair moves.. yes, I know it depends on hairstyles and such, Vesemir has long hair, he has a ponytails but still, his hair doesn't move.. I think I have seen some hair moving on one woman, but that was one case..

Top Bottom