Nvidia HairWorks

+
In that newest Nvidia trailer for all their features in TW3, didn't they said that Geralt, Roach, and some close characters to Geralt have Hairworks? Because in the video from PC Games Hardware, they show Hairworks but they say in that video, that only Geralt and Roach have Hairworks.. I expected atleast Yennefer, Triss and Ciri to have Hairworks too

How, if Nvidia actively prohibits it? -

They somehow optimized it for FarCry 4 didn't they ?

What I meant to say is if AMD do something like they did in Project Cars then users will face issues otherwise it will be better. This is what Iam Bell (Project Cars) said about AMD.

"We’re reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We’ve provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year."

I hope they don't repeat this mistake in TW3.

I don't get this. A 970 is around 8% behind a 980 card. An OC'd 970 performs slightly better than a stock GTX 980, especially when compared at 1080p. So why is everyone saying that you can have hairworks run fine on a 980 but not a 970? BTW performance was taken from tests run at Tomshardware.

Last edited:
Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products. Radeon users are encouraged to disable NVIDIA HairWorks if the performance is below expectations.

Hope this information helps.

And just like that I no longer have to worry about whether or not I'm buying this game. Thanks for the information.

When devs learn that working with nvidia is like working with the devil, things will be better. Maybe PC gaming won't die.

So why is everyone saying that you can have hairworks run fine on a 980 but not a 970?

People's opinion of what = fine is different... Some must have 60 FPS or higher at all times other 30 is fine... I'll have to see it enable to determine. Also the hit on FPS is different depending on what is on screen...

They somehow optimized it for FarCry 4 didn't they ?

What I meant to say is if AMD do something like they did in Project Cars then users will face issues otherwise it will be better. This is what Iam Bell (Project Cars) said about AMD.

"We’re reaching out to AMD with all of our efforts. We’ve provided them 20 keys as I say. They were invited to work with us for years, looking through company mails the last I can see they (AMD) talked to us was October of last year."

I hope they don't repeat this mistake in TW3.

20 keys to the retail game is hardly how things work. That is not source code. Also its not exactly true that AMD was not working with them. The problem as it almost always is, was gameworks. Somehow it's AMDs mistake that nvidia has this kind of code being pushed on devs. If AMD starts operating like nvidia, which they well could if things keep on like this, we'll see if logic seeps in for all those defending nvidia's crap,

If you people needed money, tell the community its either nvidia or donate in kickstarter. You'd make 1Billion.

20 keys to the retail game is hardly how things work. That is not source code. Also its not exactly true that AMD was not working with them. The problem as it almost always is, was gameworks. Somehow it's AMDs mistake that nvidia has this kind of code being pushed on devs. If AMD starts operating like nvidia, which they well could if things keep on like this, we'll see if logic seeps in for all those defending nvidia's crap,

If you people needed money, tell the community its either nvidia or donate in kickstarter. You'd make 1Billion.

Maybe you're not reading my friend, they said that they invited AMD many times to work with them but it didn't happened and they last heard from AMD in October of last year. Also getting offended about it won't change the facts, I was AMD user since more than 4 - 5 years (HD 4870 to R9 290) but right now they have no reply against Nvidia's Maxwell and the R9 300 series is just surrounded by rumors nothing else. AMD need to up their game if they want to get ahead of the competition, they have improved several things like Crossfire (thanks to XDMA) and their drivers too though their relations with devs are not so good, they need to improve in this area.

Also Nvidia cannot push anything on devs, it's the choice of devs to pick whatever solution they find appropriate. The only thing I have heard several times is that Nvidia is very helpful in supporting devs. Additionally it's not true that every GameWorks title run bad on AMD, some actually run better than Nvidia (Watch Dogs and Shadow of Mordor are good examples of that) so who knows TW3 might actually run better on AMD.

Last edited:
I don't get this. A 970 is around 8% behind a 980 card. An OC'd 970 performs slightly better than a stock GTX 980, especially when compared at 1080p. So why is everyone saying that you can have hairworks run fine on a 980 but not a 970? BTW performance was taken from tests run at Tomshardware.

I'm getting 10-15% above a 980 with my 970, you may find oc'ing your/a card to be beneficial if hairworks if something you want.

There you go mate! Totally agree with you. We should be fine with our 970. And especially if we lower AA for example, or set another setting from uber to high.
But...
If i see that only geralt, roach and some monster uses it, then i turn it off to get the max out of my card while everything maxed out

I expected atleast Yennefer, Triss and Ciri to have Hairworks too

Mmmm, as did I.

It's also sad to see that Horse Tails & Shawls/Vests no longer have it either. There was probably a valid reason for it being scrapped (Since they did have both Horse Tails & Clothing Fur running on Hairworks at one point), most likely some kind of really horrid clipping issue or they just weren't happy with how it looked, but still disappointing.
In particular the movement and look of Roach's tail in the 35 minute demo was fucking spectacular, without hairworks its movement comes off as really stiff and clunky.

I never saw the Novigrad demo in HQ so no clue about horse tail, and 360p isn't very helpful in that regard...

Something related:
Working hand-in-hand with developer CD Projekt RED, we’ve transformed the protagonist’s hair and beard, the mane of his trusty steed (and the manes of other horses), and the fur of over three dozen monsters into dynamic, highly detailed, fully formed hair and fur

When someone asked about fur enhanced coat etc, the man responded:
"The wording is fully accurate. There are no HairWorks-enhanced coats."

I don't get this. A 970 is around 8% behind a 980 card.

This is utter bobbins as it is a bit disingenuous to use the percentage that it is behind ( and even then 8% is wrong).

A 980 is 15-20% quicker than a 970 and they both overclock equally as good as each other.

Do the maths http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351

Most put the 980 around 15% ahead, if not more,( and up to 35% in the synthetic benchmarks)

Last edited:
HairWorks choice suggestion

Greetings all Witcher devs and fans. I wanted to thank you for the awesome game you achieved and that was thanks to great techs you used. One of them was HairWorks for PC. Enabling it adds really a big wow factor especially for the monsters and animals. The truth is, while it looks exteremely great on animals and monsters, it doesn't look that great on Geralt himself. In fact your default hair implementation for him looks much better. That is why I suggest that it would be very kindly of you to update the game and add detailed options for that feature letting us choose bewteen enabling HairWorks for Geralt alone, enabling HairWorks for monsters and animalas alone and enabling both brings the full feature. I would rather play HairWorks on for monsetrs on and HairWorks for Geralt off, not only for the best looking results but also for the increased performance. I know many users who will opt for that choice too. Thank you very much and good luck with your game and your upcoming games.

Last edited:
It's always a nice idea gives people the opportunity to choose. Anyway, I want to see how Hairworks looks and runs on my rig.

I can only agree. Hairworks on monsters is fabulous. It's not that bad on Geralt, but it costs resources and computing power.

+1 for the ability to choose !

I agree 100%. The implementation looks great on animals and monsters, but Geralt's default hair looks more natural than that of Nvidia's. I'd appreciate the option to only enable it for animals and monsters.

Top Bottom