Nvidia’s GameWorks: A double-edged sword for Witcher 3

+
I don`t see the point in slinging mud or fud one way or the other . Do Nvidia cards run on "Gaming Evolved " games sure they do and will AMD cards run on Gameswork titles sure they do and will . Now we may not get the performance that is expected from either card on either software so that is left up to the consumer to decide on which is better for them . AMD and Nvidia have always and will always be competitors in the GPU market with one always trying to outdo the other .
Only there is no GE title which has obtrusive exclusive features which run only on Radeons. TressFX in Tomb Raider was available on Geforces from the start, and while it didn't perform best at first, it could soon be fixed due to its open code.

I don`t see the point in slinging mud or fud one way or the other . Do Nvidia cards run on "Gaming Evolved " games sure they do and will AMD cards run on Gameswork titles sure they do and will . Now we may not get the performance that is expected from either card on either software so that is left up to the consumer to decide on which is better for them . AMD and Nvidia have always and will always be competitors in the GPU market with one always trying to outdo the other .

Tommy, I remember when you were just another guy trying to help here man. This isn't an attack, it's serious concern. I simply am a fan who's not feeling safe with this sides stuff, and I haven't trusted Nvidia for a long time, nor AMD, both are companies and if we had only one it would just be worse, end of.

The thing which actually bugs me about Gameworks in TW3 is, that it feels just wrong for CDPR to do somehting like that, meaning acting against their philosophy of treating all players of their game fairly and equally. So we have fair pricing and no DRM on GoG, because the company's philosophy is not to punish anyone for where they live and to let them use the software they own without putting you in artificial shackles like annoying, interfering clients, as the competition does.
But now they take Nvidia's money and know-how to put code into their game, which runs only on vendor A's hardware, locking out and potentially handicapping gamers with vendor B's hardware, who have all paid the same price for the game and thus should be entitled to the same gaming experience, so long as their hardware is powerful enough. Therefore they in a way punish me for owning hardware form the wrong vendor and interfere with my freedom of choice in my pc hardware. This doesn't suit CDPR, and it annoys me.

But now they take Nvidia's money and know-how to put code into their game, which runs only on vendor A's hardware, locking out and potentially handicapping gamers with vendor B's hardware, who have all paid the same price for the game and thus should be entitled to the same gaming experience, so long as their hardware is powerful enough.
Actually no, there's only a handful of things that 'need' a Nvidia GPU. The rest work just fine on AMD.

Speaking of the known Witcher 3 GameWorks features - TXAA needs an NV GPU and HairWorks probably works better on an NV GPU than AMD but isn't 'needed'. Unsure if the game also has some GPU Accelerated PhysX options or not.

Other than that HBAO+, APEX Clothing/Destruction, PhysX(not GPU acc) work the same.

I think I have stated the above time and again...

Last edited:
Other than that HBAO+, APEX Clothing/Destruction work the same.
But at what performance impact? In AC:U, HBAO+ and PCSS perform better compared to only SSAO and simple shadows on Maxwell-GPUs, while impacting Radeons and Kepler GPUs negatively, and Radeons more so, of course.

In this example, a 290X trails a GTX980 by ~10% without HBAO+ and PCSS, but suddenly by 28% when they are turned on.

View attachment 7556

Attachments

• ACU-8xMSAA.png
    ACU-8xMSAA.png
    14 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Actually no, there's only a handful of things that 'need' a Nvidia GPU. The rest work just fine on AMD.

Speaking of the known Witcher 3 GameWorks features - TXAA needs an NV GPU and HairWorks probably works better on an NV GPU than AMD but isn't 'needed'. Unsure if the game also has some GPU Accelerated PhysX options or not.

Other than that HBAO+, APEX Clothing/Destruction, PhysX(not GPU acc) work the same.

I think I have stated the above time and again...

Now you're speaking my language. I am a patient man, though, I can wait for testing, on a i7 4930k with an R9 290x, because if this sings with it, all will be forgiven.

By the way, this is what pissed me off to begin with. It was all about the money? http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...t-amd-users-enjoy-physx-hair-and-fur-effects/ Physx was already taken, let's give them more, all I'm saying is, STOP it.

Last edited:
But at what performance impact? In AC:U, HBAO+ and PCSS perform better compared to only SSAO and simple shadows on Maxwell-GPUs, while impacting Radeons and Kepler GPUs negatively, and Radeons more so, of course.
Not really the best of examples for obvious reasons concerned with the game. Moving on...
Yes PCSS I have noticed performed better on my NV card than my AMD card but it's not being used in TW3(nowhere I've heard atleast) so not a concern in this case.

As for HBAO+ it's just HBAO but with higher sample count which is interleaved resulting in better performance(for the sampling it offers) over regular HBAO, wouldn't say it has a significant performance hit considering the image quality and performance it offers over regular SSAO

We all know @sidspyker got like 5 Bugatti Veyrons from Iwinski just for touting how great nVidia is. And we all know mods get paid ridiculous amo-.
Wait, what's that? Mods don't get paid at all? They're not forced to represent CDPR or their values in any way? Oh.

If anyone wants to cancel their pre-order because of fears that the game won't run properly on their system, that's totally fine. Would be a shame if the game is actually optimized properly and you can't get your hands on that awesome Collector's Edition anymore, oh well. But all this mud flinging and all these accusations towards mods just because they hold a different view than yours is just ridiculous.

Point is, nobody has any actual facts that the game will perform worse on AMD GPUs or that it will perform better on nVidia, you can speculate all you want, but it'll remain just that, speculation. And just because someone is a mod on these boards does not mean he/she has to follow some sort of "agenda" that CDPR put out. I saw mods praise and criticize CDPR all the same along the years, despite their position.

Bai.

We all know @sidspyker got like 5 Bugatti Veyrons from Iwinski just for touting how great nVidia is. And we all know mods get paid ridiculous amo-.
Wait, what's that? Mods don't get paid at all? They're not forced to represent CDPR or their values in any way? Oh.

If anyone wants to cancel their pre-order because of fears that the game won't run properly on their system, that's totally fine. Would be a shame if the game is actually optimized properly and you can't get your hands on that awesome Collector's Edition anymore, oh well. But all this mud flinging and all these accusations towards mods just because they hold a different view than yours is just ridiculous.

Point is, nobody has any actual facts that the game will perform worse on AMD GPUs or that it will perform better on nVidia, you can speculate all you want, but it'll remain just that, speculation. And just because someone is a mod on these boards does not mean he/she has to follow some sort of "agenda" that CDPR put out. I saw mods praise and criticize CDPR all the same along the years, despite their position.

Bai.

Yeah I don't get that either, as I said I' know some of them, they were just forum goers like me.

I just read several articles, then wander through pages of arguing over which stupid GPU is better, who cares. I'm just wanting to know I can sit and kickback when the game is done installing on my PC or my PS4 later, and which is the best one for what I have, it's quite simple to me.

I just read several articles, then wander through pages of arguing over which stupid GPU is better, who cares. I'm just wanting to know I can sit and kickback when the game is done installing on my PC or my PS4 later, and which is the best one for what I have, it's quite simple to me.

There's nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with delaying buying until after the game comes out. It's a sensible consumer decision.

And, with that moderator hat back on again, the post following yours has been deleted, and I'm going to repeat my earlier warning - ad hominem attacks are really, REALLY not acceptable in these forums.

There's nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with delaying buying until after the game comes out. It's a sensible consumer decision.

Sometimes, you can predict where a certain thread topic is going. It is too bad that a handful of topics are usually no-go situations on internet forums. A thread that could have been an interesting discussion of different tech and some lighthearted bantering instead saw someone banned.

Now, I am interested in how well Watch Dogs will perform on my new 290xs ( WHY will no one ask how much I paid for these! I want to brag! Come ONNNNN guys!), so I looked up some benchmarks. Very nice!

http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page3.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/08/18/watch_dogs_performance_image_quality_review/4#.VGjpWPnF_w4

To sum up - 47 - 51 fps. From HARD OCP "There is a clear winner in terms of gameplay performance and experience in this game at 4K and that is Radeon R9 290X CrossFire. Though we couldn't use "Ultra" textures, we could use "Ultra" quality settings and Temporal SMAA, and the TITAN SLI and 780 Ti SLI both had to be reduced to "Medium" quality settings. It is a very large difference, and a very big win at 4K for Radeon R9 290X CrossFire."

SO. HAPPY. *Dance*

The thing which actually bugs me about Gameworks in TW3 is, that it feels just wrong for CDPR to do somehting like that, meaning acting against their philosophy of treating all players of their game fairly and equally.

CDPR only follow it to some degree. They make trade-offs. For instance, it took them 3 years to release the Linux version of TW2 after the initial release and it isn't even a fully native port and performance is worse. So Linux users weren't treated equally obviously. Which is better than not releasing it at all but worse than producing a full fledged native version at release time. Therefore I wouldn't take the claim that all users are treated equally literally.

Last edited:
. So Linux users weren't treated equally obviously. Which is better than not releasing it at all but worse than producing a full fledged native version at release time. Therefore I wouldn't take the claim that all users are treated equally literally.

I salute you, sir, for bringing Linux into this. NIcely done.

CDPR of course does not treat all users equally. If you pay more, you get more stuff. For example. If you have a PC, you will enjoy higher resolutions and mods that consoles do not get access to. If you have a better PC, you will enjoy a much more pleasing visual and audio experience than someone with a $500 laptop. The Linux thing, as well. When did Macs get theirs? I don't know if Witcher 1 or 2 ever came to the Wii, either. At all. Etc. Etc.

If you are a user who can code or art stuff, they might give you a job, (And I will ENVYHATE you forEVER).

So, no, no equality. Hope for relative equality across a narrow margin....maybe. Hope that they do fairly closely to what they say they are trying to do, but never, ever hope for equality. World don't work that way.

@facemeltingsolo

So now it's "Nvidia is holding back their cards so you buy the new one!" when the R9 290x outperforms the 770? When before the 770 and R9 290x was on the same level as shown in the link I gave. When there's a discrepancy in how games run on GameWorks games between Nvidia and AMD cards it's some other shady practice instead of just the developers not optimizing properly. Nvidia is always the bad guy, I guess.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. If the R9 290x can be made to outperform the 770 in one game using GameWorks then it's shows to me that GameWorks doesn't have some magical limiter built into it, and it's up to the devs to get the cards running at the best they can be.

If you have a better PC, you will enjoy a much more pleasing visual and audio experience than someone with a $500 laptop. The Linux thing, as well. When did Macs get theirs? I don't know if Witcher 1 or 2 ever came to the Wii, either. At all. Etc. Etc.

According to the Witcher Wiki, OS X release of TW2 came out on October 18, 2012 which is almost year and a half after the initial release. And Linux version another year and a half after that (3 years after the initial release). It looks like some pattern. I'd say the main difference in not treating users equally here is not just in the delay aspect, but in the fact that CDPR didn't develop them in house and used contractors. So right, they have all kind of trade-offs in development and differentiating Nvidia and AMD shouldn't look so surprising.

Last edited:
Sometimes, you can predict where a certain thread topic is going. It is too bad that a handful of topics are usually no-go situations on internet forums. A thread that could have been an interesting discussion of different tech and some lighthearted bantering instead saw someone banned.

Now, I am interested in how well Watch Dogs will perform on my new 290xs ( WHY will no one ask how much I paid for these! I want to brag! Come ONNNNN guys!), so I looked up some benchmarks. Very nice!

http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page3.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/08/18/watch_dogs_performance_image_quality_review/4#.VGjpWPnF_w4

To sum up - 47 - 51 fps. From HARD OCP "There is a clear winner in terms of gameplay performance and experience in this game at 4K and that is Radeon R9 290X CrossFire. Though we couldn't use "Ultra" textures, we could use "Ultra" quality settings and Temporal SMAA, and the TITAN SLI and 780 Ti SLI both had to be reduced to "Medium" quality settings. It is a very large difference, and a very big win at 4K for Radeon R9 290X CrossFire."

SO. HAPPY. *Dance*

Free, hehe? I got mine for 450$ and to me that was a damn fine price. ;) I just never could get into Watchdogs all the way. It's too filtered for the mainstream. They made everyone kinda boring, predictable. I had more fun in GTA V, sadly. :/

It is just, this is all good to hear when there is a lot of article flutter about this crap. I loved CDPR more than most companies I've ever known in life, & I really wouldn't like that to change anytime soon because of some GPU war.

Last edited:
Free, hehe? I got mine for 450$ and to me that was a damn fine price. ;) I just never could get into Watchdogs all the way. It's too filtered for the mainstream. They made everyone kinda boring, predictable. I had more fun in GTA V, sadly. :/

It is just, this is all good to hear when there is a lot of article flutter about this crap. I loved CDPR more than most companies I've ever known in life, & I really wouldn't like that to change anytime soon because of some GPU war.

Not free - but only $265 apiece! So happy. Thank you Ebay.

I liked Watch Dogs! It was....less, so much less than I hoped. But it was fun. I liked it more than GTA V because the gunfights were way better and, well, cyberpunk. I'm massively prejudiced.

In my decades playing computer games, I've seen this issue of proprietary software/hardware API and whatnot crop up sooooo many times. And it has interfered with my enjoyment in the past, but -never- to the degree I regretted buying the game. Well, except that time Daggerfall wouldn't work on my Cyrix processor. Cyrix? Celeron? ONe of those.

Not free - but only $265 apiece! So happy. Thank you Ebay.

I liked Watch Dogs! It was....less, so much less than I hoped. But it was fun. I liked it more than GTA V because the gunfights were way better and, well, cyberpunk. I'm massively prejudiced.

In my decades playing computer games, I've seen this issue of proprietary software/hardware API and whatnot crop up sooooo many times. And it has interfered with my enjoyment in the past, but -never- to the degree I regretted buying the game. Well, except that time Daggerfall wouldn't work on my Cyrix processor. Cyrix? Celeron? ONe of those.

Ebay, sometimes I will take a chance, and get lucky, have had some killer steals on monitors and PSU's. Impressive find. ^.^

Yeah, it was the closest to my Cyberpunk fix until CDPR gets on that puppy. :p Also, you are right, aiming with a controller is balls, can't lie. I did like the fact I could just get right into my keyboard, and mouse aiming. Just seriously was disappointingly not near the depth level that drew me in and fun factor just went higher with the other for that reason. ;)

The Physx crap is still annoying me to this day, as most games do not utilize multi-threads or cores, and my gawd those were the days, reminds me of my old Voodoo... That thankfully wasn't a mistake at the time, hehe.

Top Bottom