NVME SSD Causing Crash Every 5 - 10 Minutes Constantly

+
Hi,
I installed Cyberpunk 2077 on my system drive (a 250gb Adata Xpg Pro Nvme SSD) My game was crashing constantly every 2.5 to 10 minutes (even if I'm in the menu). So I tried everything (driver revert, full windows reinstall, disabling overlays, game mode etc.) Then I read some posts similar to my problem and their games were on a ssd too. So I moved the game to my HDD. And it worked normal.
My SSD health is full, I can play other games on it.
Is it possible that the game can't run well on the system drive/nvme ssd?

(I'll now try the game on a sata ssd and update the thread)

System Specs:
GTX 1070 Mobile O.C.
I7-9700K
16GB RAM

A few idea:

If some of the hardware is overclocked, that could cause performance issues and crashes.

Make sure you have at least some GB of free space on your harddrive left. If the system harddrive is too full it might cause issues too.

Do you have a second harddrive you could install it one?

Did you try it with lower settings? Did you check hardware temperatures? Overheating might cause crashes too.

A few idea:

If some of the hardware is overclocked, that could cause performance issues and crashes.

Make sure you have at least some GB of free space on your harddrive left. If the system harddrive is too full it might cause issues too.

Do you have a second harddrive you could install it one?

Did you try it with lower settings? Did you check hardware temperatures? Overheating might cause crashes too.

The overclock is factory, fully stable. I have 100 gigs free space on the ssd I mention so shouldn't be a problem.
I tried it on a HDD worked normal, now I'm trying it on a sata SSD.

EDIT Question: Can running the game as admin cause that? It was on the root directory so it was running admin all the time.

Do you have the GOG version? I had regular crashes on my SSD, disabling the GOG overlay fixed them for me.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice you listed disabling overlays as a thing which did not help

Hm, yes, disabling overlays is definitely worth a try, no matter if it's GOG, Steam or something else. I'd also close every non-essential background app, just in case.

And no, I doubt running the game as admin would cause that problem. Then again, crazier things have happened on PC, so who knows...

Performance issues can be reported here:
(click on Contact us to send a ticket to support)

I just wanted to add onto this, I am playing the game on a M.2 NVMe SSD - Specifically a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

I am yet to receive a singular issue with it. What brand is your SSD? Are you sure it's not a problem for your SSD in general?

Peace.

I just wanted to add onto this, I am playing the game on a M.2 NVMe SSD - Specifically a Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

I am yet to receive a singular issue with it. What brand is your SSD? Are you sure it's not a problem for your SSD in general?

Peace.

Brand is Adata XPG Pro (3gb/s read 2 gb/s write speed)
There is no S.M.A.R.T. errors, health %100, I can play every other game on it.

Hm, yes, disabling overlays is definitely worth a try, no matter if it's GOG, Steam or something else. I'd also close every non-essential background app, just in case.

And no, I doubt running the game as admin would cause that problem. Then again, crazier things have happened on PC, so who knows...

Performance issues can be reported here:
(click on Contact us to send a ticket to support)

Thanks for the suggestion. I disabled every overlay including Windows'
Now trying the game on my SATA SSD. Everything works perfectly fine. That's strange.
Post automatically merged:

just for reference is this your primary drive and what's your mobo/which slot is it inserted in? p1 crucial here no issue.
Yes, my primary drive and inserted in the first nvme slot on mobo

Found the issue. There is a GPU Crash error in the report files. But somehow when I use a faster SSD it makes the crash happen more often I think.
I hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I disabled every overlay including Windows'
Now trying the game on my SATA SSD. Everything works perfectly fine. That's strange.

Yes, my primary drive and inserted in the first nvme slot on mobo

Found the issue. There is a GPU Crash error in the report files. But somehow when I use a faster SSD it makes the crash happen more often I think.
I hope they fix it soon.
lol was it too fast?

I am using all ssds in my machine no issues on cyberpunk all of mine are samsung pros 850s.

OC machines regardless can have issues with anything I doubt its your ssd cards but something else. Why oc these days no real point in it.

Hi,
I installed Cyberpunk 2077 on my system drive (a 250gb Adata Xpg Pro Nvme SSD) My game was crashing constantly every 2.5 to 10 minutes (even if I'm in the menu). So I tried everything (driver revert, full windows reinstall, disabling overlays, game mode etc.) Then I read some posts similar to my problem and their games were on a ssd too. So I moved the game to my HDD. And it worked normal.
My SSD health is full, I can play other games on it.
Is it possible that the game can't run well on the system drive/nvme ssd?

(I'll now try the game on a sata ssd and update the thread)

System Specs:
GTX 1070 Mobile O.C.
I7-9700K
16GB RAM

Hello, sorry for my english, i'm french. :)

After a lot of BSOD crash (whea uncorrectable error), and test ... (I haven't overclocked my CPU/GPU). I reinstalled windows on several ssd, nvme...

I noticed that:
- SSD Samsung 860 QVO 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Corsair Force MP510 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 970 Plus 1to: Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 960 EVO 500go: Perfect! 0 crash

i just cloned my working "samsung 960 500go" disk to "samsung 970 plus 1to" disk. Unfortunately the disk crashes again.

System Spec:
i7 7700k - Asus Strix 270
RTX 3080
32GB RAM Corsair

Hello, sorry for my english, i'm french. :)

After a lot of BSOD crash (whea uncorrectable error), and test ... (I haven't overclocked my CPU/GPU). I reinstalled windows on several ssd, nvme...

I noticed that:
- SSD Samsung 860 QVO 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Corsair Force MP510 2to : Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 970 Plus 1to: Crash!
- Nvme Samsung 960 EVO 500go: Perfect! 0 crash

i just cloned my working "samsung 960 500go" disk to "samsung 970 plus 1to" disk. Unfortunately the disk crashes again.

System Spec:
i7 7700k - Asus Strix 270
RTX 3080
32GB RAM Corsair
I am experiencing the same issues. I found that if I have the generic NVM Express controller driver installed, I get the WHEA BSOD. If I install the Samsung NVMe controller driver, my game locks up, then Windows slowly becomes unresponsive until I have to power down the PC.

I am experiencing the same issues. I found that if I have the generic NVM Express controller driver installed, I get the WHEA BSOD. If I install the Samsung NVMe controller driver, my game locks up, then Windows slowly becomes unresponsive until I have to power down the PC.

I just switched to the Samsung 970 Plus 1tb, have the Samsung NVMe controller installed, and now lock up on launch. Game was installed on another drive. Similar setup to housgreg, just with a RX 5500 XT. Interested in the resolution.

I'm also running an NVME M.2.
Samsung 970 EVO for apps, games run off the 870 via SATA. Absolutley no issues. Just posting for reference.

Hello there.

I have same issue with Cyberpunk, game was working perfectly for 90 hrs and today, like 30 minutes ago when I started it after few mins of playing 1st crash (total system freeze,nothing responding), restarted PC, tried it again and 2nd crash (same like first one). Restarting PC again and heard 3 beeps, it didnt want to show any display but the PC was running. I did hard reset and now PC is working normally but Im litterally scared to try Cyberpunk again.

I have Kingston NVMe M.2 2280, SA2000M8 in my PC but the game is installed on Baracuda Seagate HDD.

Ryzen 3 3100
GTX 1660 Super
16 GB Kingston Hyper X

Just to add to the data, I'm running the following drive without any issues...

Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe (SB-RKTQ-1TB)

Hello there.

I have same issue with Cyberpunk, game was working perfectly for 90 hrs and today, like 30 minutes ago when I started it after few mins of playing 1st crash (total system freeze,nothing responding), restarted PC, tried it again and 2nd crash (same like first one). Restarting PC again and heard 3 beeps, it didnt want to show any display but the PC was running. I did hard reset and now PC is working normally but Im litterally scared to try Cyberpunk again.

I have Kingston NVMe M.2 2280, SA2000M8 in my PC but the game is installed on Baracuda Seagate HDD.

Ryzen 3 3100
GTX 1660 Super
16 GB Kingston Hyper X

First time this looks to be on an NVIDIA gpu. Common thread seems to be the installation of an NVMe M.2 SSD though. I was able to load game to at least the menu (I didn't try further, controller wasn't detected) by choosing to undervolt the video card in AMD setings.

Top Bottom