• Yes

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • This thread is offensive to fat people

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I do not know. but Wombatz 4 the winz.

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Obesity in game

I had this random thought prompted by this image.

A full 34% of Americans are obese.
75% of Americans are overweight.

Should these rates of obesity be reflected in game?
If not, should the story allow for an explanation as to why Americans are not fat?

I had this random thought prompted by this image.

If not, should the story allow for an explanation as to why Americans are not fat?

I'm going to go with,

A) Interesting question,

B ) not really a Cyberpunk issue - pills and surgeries can make anyone's Attractiveness go up, ( there's a price list in the book) and

C) Careful about handing out generalizations based around nations. Gets too close to the home for some people.

Instead, perhaps reflect on whether or not the game should look at the ease of beautification technology for those who can afford it vs. those who can't and how that contrast might best be demonstrated.

I'm going to go with,

A) Interesting question,

B ) not really a Cyberpunk issue - pills and surgeries can make anyone's Attractiveness go up, ( there's a price list in the book) and

C) Careful about handing out generalizations based around nations. Gets too close to the home for some people.

Instead, perhaps reflect on whether or not the game should look at the ease of beautification technology for those who can afford it vs. those who can't and how that contrast might best be demonstrated.
In his defense, those aren't generalizations, so much as actual Health statistics.

In his defense, those aren't generalizations, so much as actual Health statistics.

Just before this starts, keep in mind that generalizations are a foundation of science - a necessary part.

The -reason- I say to be careful about using any nation state as your example or case is that it can lead from statistics, (themselves deeply debatable, actually - overweight and obese are misleading descriptors) and rapidly into less exact subjects.

So we have no problem talking about the subject Poet raised - I am cautioning people that generalizations, accurate or not, based around nations, peoples or cultures are fast firestarters.

Depends.

Will the people have access to same food (and same levels of it) as we do now? In the interwar period (and shortly after) many in Europe were malnutritioned. Now it's the other way around. There is no reason to assume that food conditions remained the same, especially when we're talking about the world where people are poorly paid and jobs are not as common as today.

Last edited:
I don't know about the % rates of American obesity, but I do think there should be obese people in CP. Even the player would be welcome to be such if it affected the gameplay appropriately. NPC and PC variety.

Just don't make it like San Andreas...

In a game of the Dark Future where resources are scarce and poor, at least for the masses, and the world is over polluted I thought that most of the people will present and unhealthy aspect, and the most common expression of unhealthiness is thinness. I know that an overweight person is going to have a lot of health issues, but the usual representation of the Death and the Famine in art is not exactly an obese guy.

Pre-packaged "People Food", think something like dog food ment for people.
It's made from cheap plentiful ingredients and has all the flavor and appeal of cardboard, BUT has all the needed vitamins and nutrients!

Sard Edit: Yeaaaah, that's what we're trying to avoid - "America" issues, as opposed to "Fat" issues. ONWARDS.

as to the point at hand, I'd hope for a few fat corporates laying around in the game feasting on grapes like HedonismBot in futurama. I'd also expect it to be rare due to Kibbles and body sculpting tech and whatnot. who would want to look like a fat slob when you can get some muscle grafts and body sculpting to look like a model?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-packaged "People Food", think something like dog food ment for people.
It's made from cheap plentiful ingredients and has all the flavor and appeal of cardboard, BUT has all the needed vitamins and nutrients!

Indeed. It's basically dried dog/cat food, for peoples! And I like to think it comes in the same sort of flavors too. Mmmmm Anchovies & Kidney, my fave!! lol

And sure, let there be fatties. The run slower and make larger targets. ;)

Pokes at the question with a stick.. In all honesty? Perhaps a couple of rich Corps and Criminals, yet for the most part some rather lean or unhealthy looking poor (at least in poorer rural and urban areas).

Let's not forget all the empty calories acquired by drinking alcohol. Can of beer is close to being half a candy bar in calories; same for a shot of 'shine, unless dumpster hooch is all you can get you can get your hands on. It might not sound like much but folk blitzed out of their gourd just sit around like lumpsack instead of burning off the intake. And it's pretty hard for an informant to give you the latest tipoff in an establishment if you are losing Dance Dance Counter-Revolution to Fidel.

It's a (calories in - calories out) being greater than zero kind of thing; even just sitting on your duff at a terminal or seated at a workbench while pumping in calories to keep the brainpan crunching away, can let it accumulate.

Let's also not forget all them adult stem cells that are hiding in those folds waiting for the body to activate them to repair damage - they are far easier to harvest than bone-marrow ASC. You gotta start from someone to grow all the replacement parts in a vat, especially for start-up / off-the-books / underground work. And when you can't use your own, you are going to need to get them from someone else. The more cells you start with, the faster the replacement can grow. Someone could make a good living as a Type O universal blood donor equivalent supplying genetic-neutral stem cells; enough of a good living to eat very well so they could accumulate more of them money makers. (Doesn't that give the phrase "Shake That Money Maker" a different connotation?) Recipients wouldn't want all their materials coming from the same individual to ensure that their immune system doesn't trigger and reject based off the statistically small remnants of the donor that become significant with multiple inserts. You pick a spleen from Abby and get a kidney from Jake so your body can overlook the differences on minimal anti-reject meds.

If any of you imagine your character looking into a busy street or club, wouldn't it be great to see as many varied body types as possible?

I'd really expect to see variation across both height and weight, but it would bet awesome to see POSTURE also implemented too. A gangbanger swaggering, a drunk stumbling along, or a strutting model. Posture shouldn't be too hard to implement if there is an npc personality types/system, though at a pitch they might get away with matching based on AI (aggression etc), npc archetype, or voice sample/actor.

Skyrim is pretty old and it resizes clothes to varying character model sizes, on a range of 3d sliders, so I have high hopes.

Does this game take place in America? And if so, the year is 2077. People will have their ways of circumventing obesity.

Top Bottom