• Yes

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • This thread is offensive to fat people

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I do not know. but Wombatz 4 the winz.

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Or delibratly going for it to. I am sure there are some people who actually want to be fat... be it through natural means, or otherwise.

Up till this century being a bit overweight was considered attractive.
It was an indication of wealth and leisure.

lol no.

I'm sure someone in the future will look into the early 21st century, come across tabloids of Lady gaga and go

"See, people with fat crooked noses were movie stars. Therefore crooked nose were considered attractive"

Last edited:
lol no.

I'm sure someone in the future will look into the early 21st century, come across tabloids of Lady gaga and go

"See, people with fat crooked noses were movie stars. Therefore crooked nose were considered attractive"
Actually, Suhiira is correct. In the past, slenderness was a sign that you had to work hard out doors, and this was a sign of poverty. By contrast, somewhat excessive weight was a sign that you had wealth and didn't need to work to support yourself. It meant you could afford to eat well, and thus, you were "healthier". This is also true of tanned skin. This is why pale skin was considered attractive to the upper crust of society. If you notice paintings of Venus, and other women who were considered very beautiful, they all had significantly more fat than what we consider attractive today, particularly around the hips.

to whom?

For every example of a fat venus, I can find a counter-example of a thin venus/aphrodie/hera/etc..

Last edited:
Actually, Poet, none of the women in those paintings are exactly "thin", not by today's standards, certainly. Below are some specific images of Venus by different artists:

Note how much more "voluptuous they all are compared to what we would consider "attractive" today? This was the standard of beauty in the Renaissance and earlier. Then there is the Venus Di Milo (130 BC)
Note too how much heavier in the hips she is.

And again, the various "fertility Goddesses from antiquity:

In every instance, they are all much heavier than what would be considered "healthy" or attractive today. And this has been constant dating all the way back to the neolithic period. This is because an abundance of fat was a sign that you weren't starving.

Yes, let's either a) stay in the realm of the place obesity has in-game, if any, or b) move the discussion to the off-topic forum. Either is fine.

I've just deleted a few posts, including the one that Sard was talking about a few hours ago.
I really, really suggest you take his advice. And if you do decide to take it to the off-topic section, please keep it polite.

In a world where internal organs can be replaced with either new biological ones, or with ones that are bioware or cyberware, where nanotechnology exists and nanites can repair damage, and where cosmetic surgery is ubiquitous, not to mention with added technologies in 2077 such as the 2077 version of CRISPR and the like, overweight people and downright obesity will be, quite literally, a thing of the past.

Unless one chooses that, of course.

This is an alternative universe, our situation does not apply and I don't think most people want to see fat ugly people all the time. This is coming from a less than thin guy by the way. With the tech level they have, it would probably be easy for weight loss pills that actually work to exist and be sold off the counter. Wight loss would be a huge business opportunity so I can see some corporation actually pull it off for profits.

Sydanyo;n9393441 said:
In a world where internal organs can be replaced with either new biological ones, or with ones that are bioware or cyberware, where nanotechnology exists and nanites can repair damage, and where cosmetic surgery is ubiquitous, not to mention with added technologies in 2077 such as the 2077 version of CRISPR and the like, overweight people and downright obesity will be, quite literally, a thing of the past.

Unless one chooses that, of course.
Yeah... sure... for the people who can actually afford those things. Most people are probably not going to be able to afford it. The player character however... they might be able to afford it... since player characters in games tend to be in one way or another the unusual people, because they don't tend to do what most people would... aka, get a low paying, mostly "risk free", type of job to try and get by from day to day.

And as much as it might seem strange that poor people would have a lot of overweight/obese people considering that they might not have a lot of money... take into account that most cheap food, that most poor people would be able to afford (especially in a sci-fi world like Cyberpunk), tends to be not very good for you at all. Food which is often filled with stuff which are almost designed to produce fat in people. And actually, a lot of obese people are usually actually malnourished as well, because what they eat don't really contain everything that the body actualy needs. Basicly... to eat healthy there is actually a fairly large chance that you have to spend more money... that is mostly true today, and will most certainly be true in a Cyberpunk type of a world... XD

Also... if you take into account that a lot of people are probably spending a lot of their time hooked up to their computer as well... then you will also find a lot of both obese people (eat a lot and don't move), and extreamly thin people (forget to eat, and don't move).

Obesity isn't exactly an ideal to strive towards. However, within context, some characters have been portrayed as obese or overweight. Take Bloody Baron and Dijkstra in TW3 for example. It wasn't a case of endorsing obesity (no one should ever endorse it) but it was appropriate to depict those characters in that way.

WalteriusMaximus;n9424701 said:
Obesity isn't exactly an ideal to strive towards. However, within context, some characters have been portrayed as obese or overweight. Take Bloody Baron and Dijkstra in TW3 for example. It wasn't a case of endorsing obesity (no one should ever endorse it) but it was appropriate to depict those characters in that way.

what about in character customization?

Lisbeth_Salander;n9425541 said:
what about in character customization?

Lisbeth, indeed! I'm sure there will be some people who opt for a chubby character if the option was there. I don't exactly know why anyone would do that because I don't believe anyone ever looks at themselves in the mirror and say "I want to get really fat". Unless they have a mental illness....so I guess in gaming people would do it for the comedy effect it creates.
The most obvious trend on the other hand is to create super good looking characters with perfect bodies. Because that is the ideal...mentally sound people want to look the best they could possibly look and be in perfect health. And we project this desire into the games we play and the characters we create, right?

So this goes back to my original comment that obesity used in context to paint a picture of a certain [NPC] character is all good and fine. But the character you are creating, the one you'll be playing as, would most likely be the protagonist on some level. A very active character, doing combat and running around the place all the time. It would most likely be a respected character or at the very least someone with some sort of reputation for being more than a slow, unfit, bloated glutton.

It's like how in the Matrix movie, people project an image of themselves in the Matrix. All of them are an improved version of themselves, without exception.

But that's just me rambling... I'll stop.

Last edited:
WalteriusMaximus;n9432351 said:
It's like how in the Matrix movie, people project an image of themselves in the Matrix. All of them are an improved version of themselves, without exception.
There are a small number of people that actually find being overweight attractive however.

WalteriusMaximus;n9432351 said:
But the character you are creating, the one you'll be playing as, would most likely be the protagonist on some level. A very active character, doing combat and running around the place all the time.

Perhaps you'd need to find different ways of accomplishing your tasks than athletic ones if you made a fat character.

Top Bottom