OBSCURE (WTF) DECKS AND TACTICS

+
OBSCURE (WTF) DECKS AND TACTICS

I have started making very obscure decks to combat the repetitive NET DECKS we all see everyday.
The goal is originality and actual thinking again in Gwent.
Ideas and suggestions to brake up the monotony and ad some fun would be great.

I made a no unit NR ADDA deck with a create base that did very well for me.
I did have some issues with SK bears and NG swarm (got curb stomped) but other than those two it did pretty well, I even (stomped) a Henselt machine with a 40+ point win.
The real prize was the NG slave driver and reveal, the WTF factor when they realized they had nothing to work with was great.

Last edited:
So I played this same deck today and did ok nothing special, I think it needs some tweaking, I did run into a WTF tactic I have not yet seen that was refreshing (even though I LOST badly) This player weakens my ADDA down to 3 str. then proceeds to boost her up to like 65 str. or so with swallow and wyrven shields then with his last 2 cards plays Dudu then Regis. I should have looked in the mirror because the WTF look on my face was probably priceless.

you can thank Swim for popularizing that, but once you start using wyvern shield all sorts of conditional uses for buffing weird things come up... it's great for blocking Iris, and Hjalmar, as well as making funny Scorch and Vilen reversals

Void_Singer;n10714771 said:
you can thank Swim for popularizing that, but once you start using wyvern shield all sorts of conditional uses for buffing weird things come up... it's great for blocking Iris, and Hjalmar, as well as making funny Scorch and Vilen reversals

I have read a bit on here in reference to Swim, if I remember right he makes those annoying net decks every one is copying and does the streaming thing on You tube, I personally don't watch You tube and have no interest in net decks other than trying to find a way to combat them, although it would probably be easier if I new what a net deck actually looked like.

New deck today tried to make a Shupe MON deck that was a hot mess and I thought this will not work but I won enough to get my quest fulfilled, still needs some tweaking but might work well someday.

thirdeye50;n10718491 said:
I have read a bit on here in reference to Swim, if I remember right he makes those annoying net decks every one is copying and does the streaming thing on You tube, I personally don't watch You tube and have no interest in net decks other than trying to find a way to combat them, although it would probably be easier if I new what a net deck actually looked like.
he's one of those streamers who is a bit like us in this sub forum, in that he looks for odd and underused combos.... as for what a net deck is... it's whatever flavor of the month power deck recipe is, usually posted on GwentDB and copied by ridiculous amounts of people that don't completely understand it

Void_Singer;n10718541 said:
he's one of those streamers who is a bit like us in this sub forum, in that he looks for odd and underused combos.... as for what a net deck is... it's whatever flavor of the month power deck recipe is, usually posted on GwentDB and copied by ridiculous amounts of people that don't completely understand it

Well then I have run into a net deck if your saying it is the ones you see 500 times a day played the same way every time with absolutely no originality. giphy.gif place net deck here.

Tried a couple different faction no unit Shupe decks just for something strange, not so strange felt like standing at ground zero in pic above.
Luckily I am to stubborn to just give up, will dust myself off and try again later with something new.

Hubert spelltael(30+ cards, Pavko and Eithne into black blood as 40-70pt finisher), NG soldier-mill?

Last edited:
thirdeye50;n10718501 said:
New deck today tried to make a Shupe MON deck that was a hot mess and I thought this will not work but I won enough to get my quest fulfilled, still needs some tweaking but might work well someday.
Shupe Dagon can be pretty competitive.

Rawls;n10739831 said:
Shupe Dagon can be pretty competitive.

Thanks for the input will try that I'm guessing the rest is weather and I think maybe mix in WH maybe consume who knows will play around with different things and see what works.
What I will work on next though is something that can CASTRATE SK (so sick of that point vomiting engine OP crap faction) just my personal opinion.

Well I am pretty sure CDPR hates me, since I started these weird decks I have noticed something, I make a deck does good for 3-5 games against a variety of decks then I hit one for instance (Reveal) that it doesn't do so well against then every match after that is the same type of Reveal deck at first was thinking maybe it's a coincidence, so I switched to an older deck that did well against Reveal, but to my surprise no more Reveal all I got was an onslaught of SK decks that my anti Reveal deck was weak to, so I switched again to combat SK what do you know no more SK.
Seems like all I get matched up with is only strong against the deck I am playing at that moment.
I was under the impression that match making was done with MMR not what deck you are playing, I guess I was wrong and I will only get to play a couple games a day then change to a totally new deck every day and apparently never get past rank 16 unless I play a f***ing net deck and become just like everyone else that has to ride on the backs of someone else.
I guess originality in Gwent is obsolete for anything other than 20 min. of fun then delete and start over.
For me playing with or against net decks is boring, it's like watching a monkey trying to f*** a football.

Matchmaking tends to do that, even if you don't change your decks. Often that is because certain decks are played more often in certain ranks. Or it's just being unlucky (or lucky).

Until rank 18, 19 all sorts of decks can work, since even the net decks are often not played that well (on higher ranks that's a different story). But it definitely helps to built the deck so it's flexible and consistent enough. And it needs synergies.

Got a fun little deck that I have been using alot. It is a Deathwish deck without Nekkers or even much consume.

Deck list:
Leader:
Whispering Hillock
Gold:
Draug
Yennefer
Caretaker
Brewess Ritual
Silver:
Ifrit
Morvudd
Maerolorn
She-Troll of Vergen
Bekkers Dark Mirror
Monster Nest
Bronze:
Cyclops x2
Griffin x3
Rotfiend x1
Forktail x3
Achespore x3
D'ao x3

Draug and Yennefer are mostly a finisher for the final round, though Brewess + Forktail is a pretty good backup. Caretaker is mostly for disrupting the opponent if I think they are gonna ressurect. The leader is mostly for removal due to the abundance of that in organic cards, but Monster Nest is also possible.

Ifrit is mostly there for additional Yennefer support and Bekkers Dark Mirror setup. She-Troll and Maerolorn allows me to easily grab my Deathwish cards, in paticular my one of Rotfiend who I only want if my opponent starts stacking a row. Monster Nest is an additional Rotfiend, Ghoul, Arache or the Barbegazi for consume and carryover. Maerolorn is just for shutting down nasty enemy tactics via lock.

In general I want D'ao and Archespore along with Griffins with the goal beeing to generate value overtime with Archespore and using Griffin on D'ao for points before destroying the D'ao with Cyclops or Forktail.

The most important thing for the deck is to not overplay your hand. While Brewess can bring back some Deathwish cards you need to balance Deathwish cards with their activators to last all the rounds. Standalone point swings like Bekkers Dark Mirror and the finishers in Draug + Yennefer give some leeway in going all in on going long.

Funniest part of this deck is that your engines are Deathwish cards so often you gain some value even if your opponent removes it. Your opponent will probably ignore the D'ao when it initially drops, but play a Griffin on that D'ao and I have seen many who opt to remove the D'ao.

Biggest weakness of the deck is a relatively slow start. You need those Archespore and D'ao out there, but they are slow cards which can lead to an early and for you bad pass from your oppponent. [h=1][/h]

TriforceDragon;n10785791 said:
Got a fun little deck that I have been using alot. It is a Deathwish deck without Nekkers or even much consume.
Sounds interesting I have not played a lot of MON decks. I have run into some similar to this though.

I've made some decks that you might want to try. An ultra-thinning Nilfgaard soldier swam deck with spells and a Movement ST deck with Pit Trap. If you want to try em out, just PM me. :)
I'm not comfortable posting the actual decks because I like them a lot lol. I've also made other decks for other factions. They're not really like WTF or very competitive but I've managed to beat a lot of top tier decks with them.

Play the The Guardian in an Emhyr deck (with Summoning Circle, Decoy and Cahir), if you get lucky you can play it 6 times.
(Then use Avallac'h and Albrich)

Last edited:
I have finely made a deck worth talking about and it was for the SC vs NG challenge I came up with a SC create, ambush, movement nova deck that got me my 50 wins in about 3 days of play in Casual but at rank 16 it didn't do well in ranked, I guess I am doomed to rank 16, I did get to rank 17 once but have never gotten past that but oh well.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Pretty much all of my decks now could be featured in this topic, from my Dragon Deck, to my NG Swarm deck and my NR Sabrina deck.

Top Bottom