Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
So, the game awards was a useless gringefest, but something potentially interesting came out of it anyway.

Obsidian revealed The Outer Worlds. Made by the guys who made: the original Fallout, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Fallout New Vegas. And it looks like nuFallout in space mixed with a bit of No Man's Sky, Borderlands, Bioshock and quirky humor.

Steampage said:
The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
  • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
  • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
  • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Personally I'm not too fond of the idea that this (TOO, like every-fucking-thing else these days) looks like a first person shooter, and the humor didn't strike me as funny, but knowing who's making it bears a certain promise.

What do you think?

Obsidian make good games, will need more gameplay to see so far ok, we will see if they have TPP/FPP option, both VtmB and Fallout New Vegas had that option, also i hope they have good RPG system.

FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE (maybe with toggle like Fallout NV)

Last edited:
Gameplay.

Skillchecks in dialog and a silent protagonist. Something a certain other studio could have looked into too.

Sild

Ex-moderator
My Bioshock sense are tingling..

Either way.. it's looking pretty dope so far. I NEED my RPG fix until Cp2077 comes out, and who else to deliver than.. well.. those guys :eek:

Also am i the only one thinking this game showed us like everything Bethesda said about Starfield(not much i know)

Yes!

One of my students showed me the trailer today.
Usually I'm the one providing game news, but I gotta hand it to the kid...his glee for this was contagious.
I've made an impact I guess. :cool:

Obsidian is the best!
Loved Neverwinter, Alpha Protocol, Fallout New Vegas, KOTOR2, Pillars, Tyranny!

However...this guy:

He kind of reminds me of Dr. Alec Earnhardt.

Not that it's a bad thing, mind. But is it just me or was this intentional?

Anyway, I'm buying this. :giggle:

"You realize you didn't have to shoot either one, right?" In your face, Bethesda! :LOL:
Sign me up.
I hope you don't actually need to, this would not be the first time where a game only allows you to progress the scene by doing a specific thing like shooting one of two people, then afterwards have NPC's be like, "You know there could have been other ways around that y'know?"

To be clear, I'm almost definitely buying this game. Though the game play shows some stuttering, I'm expecting some issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft isn't putting a rush on it to capitalize on Fallout 76 anger and undermine Starfield, where maybe after only 2 years of development it could afford a bit more polish. On the other hand, Obsidian has worked wonders under worse conditions, it looks fun if a bit simplistic in its approach.

The Outer worlds and RAGE 2 are the only two games that actually looked even remotely interesting at TGA. How about the cringe-worthy Mortal Kombat 11 reveal, though? God... Nether Realm has shitty taste in music. Good lord!

The Outer worlds and RAGE 2 are the only two games that actually looked even remotely interesting at TGA. How about the cringe-worthy Mortal Kombat 11 reveal, though? God... Nether Realm has shitty taste in music. Good lord!
There were a lot of good-looking games at TGA, they just weren't all massive, big, SUPER EPIC AAA (or even AA) titles like Rage 2 or the Outer Worlds.

I watched the whole event for my job, and I caught every single reveal. Safe to say there's a lot to look forward to, for me anyway.

https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-t...nd-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg/

The Outer Worlds was a highlight. Reminds me of New Vegas, but with a setting that intrigues me a bit more.

I hope you don't actually need to, this would not be the first time where a game only allows you to progress the scene by doing a specific thing like shooting one of two people, then afterwards have NPC's be like, "You know there could have been other ways around that y'know?"

To be clear, I'm almost definitely buying this game. Though the game play shows some stuttering, I'm expecting some issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft isn't putting a rush on it to capitalize on Fallout 76 anger and undermine Starfield, where maybe after only 2 years of development it could afford a bit more polish. On the other hand, Obsidian has worked wonders under worse conditions, it looks fun if a bit simplistic in its approach.

Microsoft isn't rushing them, because Obsidian was still independent when the contract for this game was signed. They are working with 2K games to publish, not MS, MS has no control over this project legally.

Last edited:
Microsoft isn't rushing them, because Obsidian was still independent when the contract for this game was signed. They are working with 2K games to publish, not MS, MS has no control over this project legally.
Good to know, doesn't really rule out rushing for one reason or another, but that's welcome knowledge.

silent protagonist. Something a certain other studio could have looked into too.

Heavily overrated. Hiring multiple voice actors and adding nuanced dialogue/speech for Male/Female PC works better than silent protagonists. Silent protagonists are a cheap/lazy workaround for low voice acting budget. They're oddly convenient when you're reading the dialogue option in your head, sure, but it is the laziest option for an RPG (any RPG worth its salt with a customizable player character) nonetheless. You scream in pain when you're taking damage in battle but you cannot talk to other people when they're talking to you? Breaks immersion thoroughly.

They are working with 2K games to publish

And to be more precise, Private Division, which is a 2K subsidiary.
Post automatically merged:

Heavily overrated.

Overrated? If anything, it's the other way around these days. :D

but it is the laziest option for an RPG (any RPG worth its salt with a customizable player character) nonetheless.

Hah. "Laziest option for an RPG worth it's salt with customizable player character"? There's a self-contradiction there. Voiced protagonist is an antithesis to a customizable character.

Last edited:
Heavily overrated. Hiring multiple voice actors and adding nuanced dialogue/speech for Male/Female PC works better than silent protagonists. Silent protagonists are a cheap/lazy workaround for low voice acting budget. They're oddly convenient when you're reading the dialogue option in your head, sure, but it is the laziest option for an RPG (any RPG worth its salt with a customizable player character) nonetheless. You scream in pain when you're taking damage in battle but you cannot talk to other people when they're talking to you? Breaks immersion thoroughly.
I feel like there is a difference between not having a player audible voice and being a silent protagonist. A silent protagonist doesn't even really say anything to the other characters, it is just there to receive a mission and/or exposition then go act. Where in this you are still able to choose your words and express them either as you the character or you the player see fit.

I do hope the [dumb] dialogue options we see are actually [character intelligence] option, so if you are playing a dumb character it is dumb, but if you are playing as Stephen Hawking it is more [incomprehensible genius] or something.

Top Bottom