Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
And to be more precise, Private Division, which is a 2K subsidiary.
Thanks for the correction, I'd forgotten about that detail.

Overrated? If anything, it's the other way around these days. :D

Hah. "Laziest option for an RPG worth it's salt with customizable player character"? There's a self-contradiction there. Voiced protagonist is an antithesis to a customizable character.
That's exactly what I was thinking, ha. MOST games have voiced protagonists nowadays, not the other way around. It doesn't add much (if anything) to the game for me, so I could easily say it's overrated.

I feel like there is a difference between not having a player audible voice and being a silent protagonist. A silent protagonist doesn't even really say anything to the other characters, it is just there to receive a mission and/or exposition then go act. Where in this you are still able to choose your words and express them either as you the character or you the player see fit.

I do hope the [dumb] dialogue options we see are actually [character intelligence] option, so if you are playing a dumb character it is dumb, but if you are playing as Stephen Hawking it is more [incomprehensible genius] or something.

Well said. (y)

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
THIS and an acceptable gunplay (meaning the opposite of fallout) will make me buy this game. I trust obsidian at least as much as CDPR for what concerns quest writing. I also fear optimization since their last 3D game was fallout NV, but that was probably bethesda's fault. We'll see.

I want this to be good but lighting and characters are so off it provokes Bioshock: Infinite PTSD flashbacks.

Definitely like the idea of the game. Not sure I'm sold on the tone or the story yet. Interested, but waiting. It and the new Dragon Age are the two that have me most intrigued.

It and the new Dragon Age are the two that have me most intrigued.
New Dragon Age?

(Dives under the covers and pulls them up over his head. Tense muttering and mumbling. Above him, the weight of countless tons of unplayed games hangs like the ceiling of a vast cavern.)

I said last year that I was not buying any new games until I went through my existing ones.

Do you know how many I've finished? Two.

Do you know how many I've purchased? Damn those stupid Easter sales!!!

best thing shown at the awards. now we know why MS bought them.
If MS is smart, they'll keep their hands off for the most part.

Which I think they will. Console makers generally don't need MTX-ridden games - they want to sell consoles, and games help them do that. Get users onto the platform, not the game.

New Dragon Age?
(Dives under the covers and pulls them up over his head. Tense muttering and mumbling. Above him, the weight of countless tons of unplayed games hangs like the ceiling of a vast cavern.)

I said last year that I was not buying any new games until I went through my existing ones.

Do you know how many I've finished? Two.

Do you know how many I've purchased? Damn those stupid Easter sales!!!
Created new thread to discuss Dragon Age so we don't hijack this one.

God, it looks exactly like fallout. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using the same engine as well. O.O

Oh, my goody-ness...I think you may be right. Doesn't Microsoft own Obsidian now? But that certainly looks like it could be Gamebryo / Creation Engine. Many hmmms. Will watch. Interesting.

God, it looks exactly like fallout. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using the same engine as well. O.O
Smoking gun confirmed, Outer Worlds is fully cancelled. Knowing how buggy and garbage We Happy Few turned out convinced me to not buy Soulcaliber VI, Spyro Reignited, or the upcoming Shenmue 3 or System Shock (2020, what!?!?!!) because they all use the same engine (Unreal 4), must all be crap right?

Seriously getting hung up on what engine something uses is crazy-go-nuts. In case you think it is just Unreal is this flexible other Gamebryo games include Catherine, Civilization 4, Tenchu, Lego Universe, & Warhammer Online, among many others.

Oh, my goody-ness...I think you may be right. Doesn't Microsoft own Obsidian now? But that certainly looks like it could be Gamebryo / Creation Engine. Many hmmms. Will watch. Interesting.

This game is made with Unreal 4 and published by Private Division. Microsoft owns Obsidian now, but this deal was made before that.

Yeah, MS owns obsidian NOW, but 2 years ago, when they started making the game, obsidian was independent, that's why the game is coming on every platform. I have absolutely no idea if those engines are open source, if bethesda let them use it (payment?) or if obsidian decided to use another engine and make it look exactly like fallout games, but still...

Well, to be honest, it looks better than fallout 4 and 76 (shame on bethesda), not particularly good, but better.
Post automatically merged:

Smoking gun confirmed, Outer Worlds is fully cancelled. Knowing how buggy and garbage We Happy Few turned out convinced me to not buy Soulcaliber VI, Spyro Reignited, or the upcoming Shenmue 3 or System Shock (2020, what!?!?!!) because they all use the same engine (Unreal 4), must all be crap right?

Seriously getting hung up on what engine something uses is crazy-go-nuts. In case you think it is just Unreal is this flexible other Gamebryo games include Catherine, Civilization 4, Tenchu, Lego Universe, & Warhammer Online, among many others.
I was just saying that it really looks the same, no other meanings were intended.

Last edited:
I loved the original Fallouts, and even finished Fallout 3 when Bethesda took over.

But personally I'm getting a bit fed up with all the Fallout stuff coming out left and right. Can we explore some other worlds and ideas also?

Don't you think this game is precisely that?

- Outer space
- Not post apocalyptic
- Not 50's retro scifi

lol yes but the vibe is pretty much copy & paste Fallout. Fallout in outer space in barren lands, which are barren because it's in outer space and not because there was a nuclear apocalypse.

And it definitely is 50's retro scifi.

And it definitely is 50's retro scifi.
Not really. It's retro alright, but more like Gilded Age Americana. One of the in-game posters they've shown is even a clear riff on a real one from the Spanish-American War.

Top Bottom