Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
I'm honestly not hyped for this game (it's too AA for me), but I'll play it sooner or later. 100%.

By black friday I will have finished death stranding, so if the price is right...

Gonna wait on it a bit. The 20 min intro definitely has that elderscrolls/fallout sandbox (but in space!) feel to it. Not big on the silent protag choice, and the overall tone feels a bit off for me as well. Character creator looked good. Not a no for me, but not an immediate yes either. Hope it does well.

The problem with voiced protagonists is they limit your character choices. They either sound like Geralt or a 19 year old who's balls haven't dropped. Want to play a 50 year old mad scientist?...sorry you cant because this is how people in games sound now. Even I'm getting tired of the Gruff McGrufferson voice actors now its been done to death. What is so wrong with people having to actually read a line of text?

The problem with voiced protagonists is they limit your character choices. They either sound like Geralt or a 19 year old who's balls haven't dropped. Want to play a 50 year old mad scientist?...sorry you cant because this is how people in games sound now. Even I'm getting tired of the Gruff McGrufferson voice actors now its been done to death. What is so wrong with people having to actually read a line of text?

Indeed.

Voiceacted protagonists limit the players ownership of their character.

And they do indeed all sound kinda the same, flat and toneless. And they kinda have to, too because they need to at least try to remain somewhat neutral-sounding to appeal tothe varied tastes of the audience. And from that angle, it’s a bad idea to give the protagonist (in an RPG) a voice. It’s never ”the right” voice.

I’m not terribly excited about the game (seeing how it, too, seems to be just another shooter with a twist), but going with silent protagonist (and the explanation for it) is definitely one of the better decisions the devs had with it; along with its narrative design.

Last edited:
Indeed.

And they do indeed all sound kinda the same, flat and toneless. And they kinda have to, too because they need to at least try to remain somewhat neutral-sounding to appeal tothe varied tastes of the audience. And from that angle, it’s a bad idea to give the protagonist (in an RPG) a voice. It’s never ”the right” voice.

I’m not terribly excited about the game (seeing how it, too, seems to be just another shooter with a twist), but going with silent protagonist (and the explanation for it) is definitely one of the better decisions the devs had with it; along with its narrative design.
Obsidian is at least very open about what kind of game it is.

I'm not rehashing whether voiced or silent protag is better. We've had that debate at length a number of times. Just saying silent protag isn't my cup of tea anymore, and that it's limitations were a part of my meh reaction to the 20 minute gameplay. I get it's a preference thing though.

silent protag isn't my cup of tea anymore
Ay, and, after you add a splash of milk and a drop of lemon, that sort of protagonist becomes quite soggy -- but never utters a word to let you know!

Not not that I'm a part of this conversation, but, on a generally topical note, I don't much favour silent, purely text-based heroes now, either. They had their place in the past, but I prefer to hear them speak today -- if the writing's good, that is. . . .

Never understood this. I find the notion of replying to an audible toon by silently selecting text a bit like listening to someone talking face-to-face and then answering him by pulling out a phone and replying in WhatsApp.

Anyway, just from a commercial point of view, making 'protagonist voice' an on/off option would make a given game appeal to the widest market. Mute is a deal breaker for me.

Usually my opinion of voiced or non voiced protagonists veries from game to game depending of the pc agency in the game world. Usually in rpgs I can go for either as the pc can speak and interact with others and whether that is represented in text or voiced makes no difference. My pet peeve though is usually with the silent protagonist in first person shooter particularly in games like Home front 1 where the main character can't interact with others or object beyond shooting. I feel like I am playing a robot in these games rather than a person.

Never understood this. I find the notion of replying to an audible toon by silently selecting text a bit like listening to someone talking face-to-face and then answering him by pulling out a phone and replying in WhatsApp.

Well, the alternative is to have your personal butler, or whoever, respond out loud in your stead.

Or instead of ”being” in a conversation, just watching one (and from a pretty awkward position in FPP).

A voice over on/off toggle would work if the lines we chose were the lines actually spoken. But apparently that’s not the case, remembering what was said about that a year ago.

It’s a case about feeling the ownership of the character. A voice defines a characteristic a great deal, and for a ”player character” that’s kind of unnecessary, and even harmful in certain ways.

Last edited:
Ah yeah no intergalactic bikinis is an absolute deal-breaker for me too :rolleyes:
I can only imagine how much you're gonna love cyberpunk without those pesky bad corporation gimmicks. o w8
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Actually scratch that, I ain't gonna pass that, the game will be out in three days. And shapes up to be another Obsidians flawed masterpiece (after all these post-PoE just flawed).

Last edited:
Ah yeah no intergalactic bikinis is an absolute deal-breaker for me too :rolleyes:
I can only imagine how much you're gonna love cyberpunk without those pesky bad corporation gimmicks. o w8

Well the huge difference is you can play V as a Corpo wannabe & make nice with said corporations. So 'fight the power' is only an option, it seems you can actually try to work with the eeeeevil corporations if you want.

Yeah, it is (a pity).

Well not there yet anyway.

Don’t know whose merry idea the one year Epic exclusivity was. It certainly won’t help the games sale numbers, that’s for sure.
It runs on Unreal so the Epic thing is kind of a given. And you can buy it directly from microsoft, so it's not really an exclusive. I preloaded it on xbox and PC with gamepass

Top Bottom