Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
Don’t know whose merry idea the one year Epic exclusivity was. It certainly won’t help the games sale numbers, that’s for sure.
Apparently Epic pays so much that any eventual sale loss is more than covered. Little kids throwing parents' money on fortnite have changed PC gaming.

Also, the game is on xbox game pass (which is a great service I would love to have on PS4).

Last edited:
Well the huge difference is you can play V as a Corpo wannabe & make nice with said corporations. So 'fight the power' is only an option, it seems you can actually try to work with the eeeeevil corporations if you want.
I'll probably try this as a 4th or 5th playthru.
Be curious to see what happens.

Obsidian lost very much of my respect by going Epic exclusive. They did that while already on board with Microsoft, so this was a decision based on pure greed.

Anyway, I will be playing it on X-Box game pass but frankly I'm not expecting much from it. It will be smaller in size than F:NV, I don't like the graphic setting, weapons effects look like unicorn puke, combat looks janky. At first sight, story setting is not original at all. There is no open world, no mod support. On the other hand I assume that the writing will be good, there will be some hilarious quests and interesting characters.

I also don't understand people saying that it will be a F:NV in space - this game will be anything but. I won't bother replaying it again.

Obsidian lost very much of my respect by going Epic exclusive. They did that while already on board with Microsoft, so this was a decision based on pure greed.

Anyway, I will be playing it on X-Box game pass but frankly I'm not expecting much from it. It will be smaller in size than F:NV, I don't like the graphic setting, weapons effects look like unicorn puke, combat looks janky. At first sight, story setting is not original at all. There is no open world, no mod support. On the other hand I assume that the writing will be good, there will be some hilarious quests and interesting characters.

I also don't understand people saying that it will be a F:NV in space - this game will be anything but. I won't bother replaying it again.

Climb down off your high horse, Obsidian didn't self publish this and the epic store exclusivity was almost certainly a publisher decision. greed would imply that they had already made their money back, and as a small publisher (is published by Private Division, not Microsoft) publishing a game from an independent studio mitigating the risk they have incurred by taking offered money.

if you are going to get pissy about it get pissy at the right people at least.

Very positive reviews.

Climb down off your high horse, Obsidian didn't self publish this and the epic store exclusivity was almost certainly a publisher decision. greed would imply that they had already made their money back, and as a small publisher (is published by Private Division, not Microsoft) publishing a game from an independent studio mitigating the risk they have incurred by taking offered money.

if you are going to get pissy about it get pissy at the right people at least.

Are you really trying to tell me that Obsidian CEO had nothing to say in this case? Really? Really?!?! Well, I think I disagree on that - I think that this decision was, if not done, then ate least welcomed, by Obsidian higher ups.

Are you really trying to tell me that Obsidian CEO had nothing to say in this case? Really? Really?!?! Well, I think I disagree on that - I think that this decision was, if not done, then ate least welcomed, by Obsidian higher ups.
Outer Worlds is using Unreal Engine 4, which is owned by Epic. Looks like most games built on it are going to have some sort of epic store "deal" going forward. This is most likely an Epic thing, not Obsidian
Post automatically merged:

Very positive reviews.

PCGamer had a really honest review of the game. Gave it a 79.

Actually, looking at it, the review scores are all over the place. From the 60s to 100s lol

Last edited:
Outer Worlds is using Unreal Engine 4, which is owned by Epic. Looks like most games built on it are going to have some sort of epic store "deal" going forward. This is most likely an Epic thing, not Obsidian

It's still about money, right? It's not that you have go Epic exclusive if you want to use Unreal Engine - you just don't have to pay extra for the license.

PCGamer had a really honest review of the game. Gave it a 79.

Actually, looking at it, the review scores are all over the place. From the 60s to 100s lol

It should probably be more like 6,5/10 but there are soo much people wanting to play something "Fallout 3-like" that everyone is over-hyping Outer Worlds terribly. I blame Bethesda and F:76 for that.

Last edited:
It's still about money, right? It's not that you have go Epic exclusive if you want to use Unreal Engine - you just don't have to pay extra for the license.
Of course it's about money, no one said it wasn't. That's what a business does. But we don't know exactly what happens in these "deals" so it's pointless to speculate. In the end, you can also buy it directly from Microsoft. If your whole "point" is based around you wanting it on steam, I just don't care. I'm sick of hearing people crying about steam. In this case, especially, there are other options besides Epic. So deal with it

It should probably be more like 6,5/10 but there are soo much people wanting to play something "Fallout 3-like" that everyone is over-hyping Outer Worlds terribly. I blame Bethesda and F:76 for that.
Not sure what you think F:76 has to do with anything. Completely opposite sides of the gaming spectrum for "rpgs". People are hyped because of New Vegas and their strange undying love for it. The fact that this ISN'T made by Bethesda is a selling point to many

Of course it's about money, no one said it wasn't. That's what a business does. But we don't know exactly what happens in these "deals" so it's pointless to speculate. In the end, you can also buy it directly from Microsoft. If your whole "point" is based around you wanting it on steam, I just don't care. I'm sick of hearing people crying about steam. In this case, especially, there are other options besides Epic. So deal with it

Have I mentioned Steam anywhere? I don't think so.

Move on. Before this goes any further off-topic. Talk about the game, not on what it sells on.

The more I read the reviews, the more I'm leaning towards getting it. Fallout NV meets KOTOR2 with Firefly-ish-space-western setting sounds very much up my ally.

Still worried about the overall tone and plot of the game, as it doesn't look very compelling to me. Also, since it's creation engine, we pretty much know what we're going to get gameplay wise ... which is okay but nothing particularly exciting.

Having said that, I'm thinking about picking it up on PS4 this weekend based mostly on the setting and themes.

Last edited:
The more I read the reviews, the more I'm leaning towards getting it. Fallout NV meets KOTOR2 with Firefly-ish-space-western setting sounds very much up my ally.

Still worried about the overall tone and plot of the game, as it doesn't look very compelling to me. Also, since it's creation engine, we pretty much know what we're going to get gameplay wise ... which is okay but nothing particularly exciting.

Having said that, I'm thinking about picking it up on PS4 this weekend based mostly on the setting and themes.
It's not creation engine, that is owned by Bethesda. It's using Unreal 4

Can you people at least learn some basics about this game: like the engine, and that this is Obsidian game - the team that is behind one of the best RPGs ever.

Btw, looks like this is the next big RPG!

Top Bottom