Obsidian reveals The Outer Worlds

+
1. Obsidian which has claimed they're the creator of Fallout series (but only 1, 2 in the disgraceful graphics era when a game technology was undeveloped, and New Vegas which just mimicked Fallout 3 which was resurrected by Bethesda.)
2. Closed-world with an invisible walls
3. Poor optimization (You know what, this game seems to have a higher system requirements than that of Far Cry 5.)
4. Shit jump scare dialogue system (i.e. those of Oblivion, Fallout 3 & New Vegas.)

have to pass.

TL; DR:
When it comes to defining "player agency", it's about how much of an impact on the overall gameplay has on the final resolution(s).

Did I make a few choices at scripted junctions that will be the same every time I play? Or did my character and playstyle create exclusive gateways to progress?

Did I choose a quest then decide how to kill the NPCs the story arc pre-determined were my enemies? Or did my choices organically determine who my enemies and friends were, and offer me pathways of progression based upon my character's skills?

I'm currently playing the game myself and, for the most part, the game play is linear. I wouldn't dock it points over this because I don't think non-linear game play is objectively superior to linear game play. It's just... different. If a game was intended to be non-linear and wasn't it would be a different story. In the case of The Outer Worlds I do not feel like it is attempting to push non-linear game play. And... that is okay.

I will say large swaths of the content in TOW leave very little room to choose anything. You're kind of along for the ride, so to speak. Again, I wouldn't rate this as an inherently bad thing in a vacuum. In fact, it plays much like old school isometric RPG's in this regard.

In regards to the content itself.... I don't think TOW does anything particularly groundbreaking. However, it does do enough to keep things interesting, IMO. This applies to most areas of the game (companions, combat, character progression, various quest content, the whole nine).

I'd be most critical of the recycled assets. I've noticed this sticks out like a sore thumb with the various NPC's in the game world. A lot of those NPC's are using identical character models with slight alterations. It gets a bit redundant. The same could be said for various other areas (gear, hostile NPC's, etc.). It's almost as if cuts were made towards the end of the development. This area in particular holds the game back.

I don't think the game is bad. I've enjoyed it so far. It's probably not for everyone though. I wouldn't rate it as great either. Granted, based on all the garbage floating around out there this may not be saying much.

in the disgraceful graphics era when a game technology was undeveloped, and New Vegas which just mimicked Fallout 3 which was resurrected by Bethesda.
I'm currently playing the game myself and, for the most part, the game play is linear. I wouldn't dock it points over this because I don't think non-linear game play is objectively superior to linear game play. It's just... different. If a game was intended to be non-linear and wasn't it would be a different story. In the case of The Outer Worlds I do not feel like it is attempting to push non-linear game play. And... that is okay.

I will say large swaths of the content in TOW leave very little room to choose anything. You're kind of along for the ride, so to speak. Again, I wouldn't rate this as an inherently bad thing in a vacuum. In fact, it plays much like old school isometric RPG's in this regard.

In regards to the content itself.... I don't think TOW does anything particularly groundbreaking. However, it does do enough to keep things interesting, IMO. This applies to most areas of the game (companions, combat, character progression, various quest content, the whole nine).

I'd be most critical of the recycled assets. I've noticed this sticks out like a sore thumb with the various NPC's in the game world. A lot of those NPC's are using identical character models with slight alterations. It gets a bit redundant. The same could be said for various other areas (gear, hostile NPC's, etc.). It's almost as if cuts were made towards the end of the development. This area in particular holds the game back.

I don't think the game is bad. I've enjoyed it so far. It's probably not for everyone though. I wouldn't rate it as great either. Granted, based on all the garbage floating around out there this may not be saying much.

That sounds like a pretty solid review. I'm still on the fence about buying it. Very little play money, and I have absolutely no need for any more games.

The more I see, the more I think it's my type of thing. I'll most likely grab it at some point. It's definitely got some character, I'll give it that.

That sounds like a pretty solid review. I'm still on the fence about buying it. Very little play money, and I have absolutely no need for any more games.

The more I see, the more I think it's my type of thing. I'll most likely grab it at some point. It's definitely got some character, I'll give it that.
If you're a fan of Fallout New Vegas and RPGs like it, I think you'll definitely enjoy it. It's definitely worth playing at some point or another.

Plus, you can get a month of the game for your local equivalent of $1 for the time being with Microsoft's Xbox game pass if you want to try it out or think you can finish the game in a month.

Well, it wasn't so much a review as pointing out a few areas I felt stood out. A review would likely end up being.... a wall of text :).

Again, I've enjoyed the game so far. It's certainly different. I do think I would have missed out had I never played it. While it's not great there are various areas it handles well on a conceptual level. Some of the stuff TOW does with companions and the character progression come to mind. The execution isn't perfect but other games could learn a thing or two from the idea behind those areas.

One example would be a skill related system backing the dialogue. If a game is an RPG it should have this in it. And yes, this statement is intended to hold meaning for CP2077 (and every future RPG....). Even if this system has multiple roles, as it does in TOW. At first glance I was confounded by the dialogue related abilities impacting the combat. As I progressed further into the game it started to make a good bit of sense.

Another example would be companions or party members having influence on what is or isn't available to the player based on their attributes. TOW takes an interesting approach here where those companion skills and abilities aren't isolated to the companions. They directly impact the player abilities (aka, they apply to the player skills as bonuses, with certain player progression pick-ups increasing those improvements).

Of equal importance for companions, mixing different combinations together gives a unique experience. Each companion in the game has a unique persona, world views, moral compass, etc. While these areas may not influence the way the player engages with the content heavily they do alter the "fit" of the group. It leads to very interesting banter and dialogue throughout the game. Regardless of whether you are rolling with companions who fit together like a glove or combinations that... don't.

Well, it wasn't so much a review as pointing out a few areas I felt stood out. A review would likely end up being.... a wall of text :).

Again, I've enjoyed the game so far. It's certainly different. I do think I would have missed out had I never played it. While it's not great there are various areas it handles well on a conceptual level. Some of the stuff TOW does with companions and the character progression come to mind. The execution isn't perfect but other games could learn a thing or two from the idea behind those areas.

One example would be a skill related system backing the dialogue. If a game is an RPG it should have this in it. And yes, this statement is intended to hold meaning for CP2077 (and every future RPG....). Even if this system has multiple roles, as it does in TOW. At first glance I was confounded by the dialogue related abilities impacting the combat. As I progressed further into the game it started to make a good bit of sense.

Another example would be companions or party members having influence on what is or isn't available to the player based on their attributes. TOW takes an interesting approach here where those companion skills and abilities aren't isolated to the companions. They directly impact the player abilities (aka, they apply to the player skills as bonuses, with certain player progression pick-ups increasing those improvements).

Of equal importance for companions, mixing different combinations together gives a unique experience. Each companion in the game has a unique persona, world views, moral compass, etc. While these areas may not influence the way the player engages with the content heavily they do alter the "fit" of the group. It leads to very interesting banter and dialogue throughout the game. Regardless of whether you are rolling with companions who fit together like a glove or combinations that... don't.

Wall of text? I can't judge there. :cool:

I do agree on skills directly impacting dialogue. I also like when they gate options for gameplay. Not so much herding the player down a particular path, but simply not offering a certain pathway unless the player character has the requisite skills. (Just like dialogue, I may have 3, potential, "general" pathways, in addition to 1-2 others based on my skills. Don't have to take the skill-based route, but the options are there if my abilities are adequate.)

The characters are surprisingly enjoyable. While I think some of the presentation is, perhaps, a bit hammy, they do evolve. Pretty dynamic writing. (Yes, I've now watched enough gameplay that I've spoiled a bunch of things.)

I do agree on skills directly impacting dialogue. I also like when they gate options for gameplay. Not so much herding the player down a particular path, but simply not offering a certain pathway unless the player character has the requisite skills. (Just like dialogue, I may have 3, potential, "general" pathways, in addition to 1-2 others based on my skills. Don't have to take the skill-based route, but the options are there if my abilities are adequate.)

Well, this description/desire sort of fits the game.

To give a random example.... During a recent quest there was a point where you need to bypass a locked door leading to a lab. There was a guard posted right outside so picking the door undetected wasn't going to happen. Although, with dialogue skills at high enough values you can get caught engaging in illegal behavior and persuade, lie, intimidate or bribe your way around it. You do still suffer reputation penalties though.

Getting to the point, you could intimidate or lie to this guard to gain entry. Even though the skill requirements were rather steep to use those options. You could also speak to a scientist employed there and leverage your science skill to gain entry. The third option was to use a terminal in a different room, gain information and use this information in the conversation with the scientist to avoid the science skill check.

These options, or paths, aren't unique to TOW. I do think the game does a pretty good job of creating those paths in a logical manner, however. Those paths may not be in-depth but the little things the game does in the presentation goes a long way. If only because the options presented open up different paths such that you feel like your character build is important. In various other games, particularly without dialogue related systems, this feeling isn't created.

The characters are surprisingly enjoyable. While I think some of the presentation is, perhaps, a bit hammy, they do evolve. Pretty dynamic writing. (Yes, I've now watched enough gameplay that I've spoiled a bunch of things.)

It depends I suppose. I find some of them are less involved compared to others. They all kind of have their own backstory but some are rather generic.

The main draw for the companions is, as mentioned earlier, mixing different combinations together. Those brief periods of banter between different companion combinations doesn't do a lot to functionally change results anywhere. It does add quite a bit of flavor. Just enough to keep the player engaged during the lulls between the events themselves. Even the events themselves may change as companions will interject at times during quests and whatnot. And since different combinations pair differently you get a slightly different experience depending on the combination you bring along.

Those differences extend to combat as well since companion special abilities have various strengths and weaknesses. Some are more geared toward damage while others are utility related abilities (specifically, knockdown/stun/incapacitate). It would seem bringing a companion with one of each ability type is often ideal. I started my initial game on Supernova and while the combat isn't difficult it can be unforgiving. Especially early in the game.

Well, this description/desire sort of fits the game.

To give a random example.... During a recent quest there was a point where you need to bypass a locked door leading to a lab. There was a guard posted right outside so picking the door undetected wasn't going to happen. Although, with dialogue skills at high enough values you can get caught engaging in illegal behavior and persuade, lie, intimidate or bribe your way around it. You do still suffer reputation penalties though.

Getting to the point, you could intimidate or lie to this guard to gain entry. Even though the skill requirements were rather steep to use those options. You could also speak to a scientist employed there and leverage your science skill to gain entry. The third option was to use a terminal in a different room, gain information and use this information in the conversation with the scientist to avoid the science skill check.

These options, or paths, aren't unique to TOW. I do think the game does a pretty good job of creating those paths in a logical manner, however. Those paths may not be in-depth but the little things the game does in the presentation goes a long way. If only because the options presented open up different paths such that you feel like your character build is important. In various other games, particularly without dialogue related systems, this feeling isn't created.

Okay -- now I think I have a better sense of how the whole thing is structured. So it's more of a series of narrative areas, but you can do them in more or less whatever order. Less of a web of interconnected events...and more like a series of individual "blocks", with choices affecting only the stuff within that block of gameplay. (How's that?)

If so, well, that lessens my interest a bit. I thought the game would weave the different areas together a bit more. (I specifically tried not to spoil the overall arc for myself.) Still, the actual gameplay itself looks fairly engaging.

It depends I suppose. I find some of them are less involved compared to others. They all kind of have their own backstory but some are rather generic.

The main draw for the companions is, as mentioned earlier, mixing different combinations together. Those brief periods of banter between different companion combinations doesn't do a lot to functionally change results anywhere. It does add quite a bit of flavor. Just enough to keep the player engaged during the lulls between the events themselves. Even the events themselves may change as companions will interject at times during quests and whatnot. And since different combinations pair differently you get a slightly different experience depending on the combination you bring along.

Those differences extend to combat as well since companion special abilities have various strengths and weaknesses. Some are more geared toward damage while others are utility related abilities (specifically, knockdown/stun/incapacitate). It would seem bringing a companion with one of each ability type is often ideal. I started my initial game on Supernova and while the combat isn't difficult it can be unforgiving. Especially early in the game.

Well, they're at least rounder than the average Bethesda NPCs / companions. The engineer character surprised me a couple of times with how natural her confidence in herself seemed to develop. (I think @Rawls mentioned it above, so I looked up some gameplay of the character and was, kind of surprised, really. At least as good as most network TV series characters.)

I wasn't so much focusing on how they would interact in combat as how the characters themselves were presented in a performance sense. The writing was pretty good. I liked how, rather than trying to "act like the character is insecure", she seemed relatively balanced and ocassionaly struggled to hide the insecurities. That was nice. (I could compare it directly to that radio DJ character from Diamond City in FO4 -- the same type of character. However, the character in TOW is far more nuanced and natural.)

Okay -- now I think I have a better sense of how the whole thing is structured. So it's more of a series of narrative areas, but you can do them in more or less whatever order. Less of a web of interconnected events...and more like a series of individual "blocks", with choices affecting only the stuff within that block of gameplay. (How's that?)

If so, well, that lessens my interest a bit. I thought the game would weave the different areas together a bit more. (I specifically tried not to spoil the overall arc for myself.) Still, the actual gameplay itself looks fairly engaging.

Hmm, sort of. The choices you make at any given turn do not alter the outcome in most cases. This is what I meant when I said the game is primarily linear and you're along for the ride. It's kind of like the TV show Bandersnatch (no idea if you're familiar with it). You might have a branching path with three or four forks in the road and various decisions to make at those forks. The reality is none of those choices mattered much. You might make various choices in any given order but the path is set. You just don't recognize it until after the fact. It's the illusion of choice (in fairness, this describes most games with choices.).

Now, there are areas where I suspect this is not true. Specifically, when dealing with factions and various characters and decisions in the main narrative. I'm not 100% sure because I only finished a single play through. Still, the way they were constructed leads me to believe this is true. At the end of the game it kind of summarizes the aftermath. The way it did so lead me to believe multiple critical decisions made during the game influenced that aftermath.

Like I said, it's more akin to an old school isometric RPG. Where the narrative is largely set in stone. It's less like, say, TW3. Where a choice made earlier might have a domino effect in various other areas later. Although, as noted there are cases where this TW3 theme probably does apply. It's just not as expansive and involved in this regard.

It should also be noted the main narrative wasn't particularly interesting, in my opinion. It didn't feel like it had any real direction until halfway through the game. It didn't even come into complete form until near the end. The focus was more on a micro level. The localized issues present at the various places you visited. There were some tie ins between those local issues and the greater, macro level narrative but it still didn't feel as inter-connected as it could have been.

Well, they're at least rounder than the average Bethesda NPCs / companions. The engineer character surprised me a couple of times with how natural her confidence in herself seemed to develop. (I think @Rawls mentioned it above, so I looked up some gameplay of the character and was, kind of surprised, really. At least as good as most network TV series characters.)

I wasn't so much focusing on how they would interact in combat as how the characters themselves were presented in a performance sense. The writing was pretty good. I liked how, rather than trying to "act like the character is insecure", she seemed relatively balanced and ocassionaly struggled to hide the insecurities. That was nice. (I could compare it directly to that radio DJ character from Diamond City in FO4 -- the same type of character. However, the character in TOW is far more nuanced and natural.)

Yeah, Parvati is a well built character. For a number of reasons. She also felt like one of the stronger companions. Her skill set was useful nearly everywhere and her special ability offered a lot of utility. Max and Nyoka were also well designed. The other three came off as rather generic. I really wanted to like the robot but, for whatever reason, couldn't...

The only reason I mentioned the combat specifically is because the theme where changing companions alters the experience applies across the board. Swapping to a different combination changes the banter they periodically engage in when you're roaming the landscapes. It changes the dynamics of combat. It alters the dialogue during certain quests. It alters the approaches you can take during the quests given the way the character progression works and companion abilities factor into it.

If the game does anything well I think these alterations to the experience based on companion selections stands out. Even if the execution wasn't perfect there it says a lot about what the developers were trying to accomplish. And they were on the right track with those goals.

The only part I didn't like about the companions was the game didn't appear to factor in their persona much when it came to decisions made by the player. For instance, a companion might have a moral compass slanted in one direction while the player could make decisions in another. Differences in the way these views and actions lined up didn't seem to have any notable impact.

Granted, the character build I went with was heavy on leadership and dialogue related abilities, with a secondary focus toward science and a tertiary focus on stealth. I didn't invest much into combat (this is not to say I didn't engage in it to smack baddies around :)). Problems were solved via diplomacy or by taking the least bloody path, for the most part. Incidentally, I probably didn't make many, if any, decisions in direct conflict with the companions in possession of a stronger moral or ethical compass.

I found i couldn`t say i dislike any of the companions , yes Parvati was easily my fav ( if only they had put romance into the game * sigh * ) . The robot Sam had ... well a robot personality and was probably the least interesting . All though i did enjoy his romance ??? with Ada . Most ( but not all ) of the companions had personal growth though the game which was well written . I loved the banter much like the old Dragon Age / Mass Effect and would try different pairs for new banter .

As for combat , i am getting older and my reflexes aren`t what they used to be :p I played on normal and found no real difference in combat between the companions, just give them better armor and guns as you go along :shrug:

I found i couldn`t say i dislike any of the companions , yes Parvati was easily my fav ( if only they had put romance into the game * sigh * ) . The robot Sam had ... well a robot personality and was probably the least interesting . All though i did enjoy his romance ??? with Ada . Most ( but not all ) of the companions had personal growth though the game which was well written . I loved the banter much like the old Dragon Age / Mass Effect and would try different pairs for new banter .

They certainly did grow and become more interesting as the game progressed. I just thought Ellie, Felix and SAM were kind of generic and had less depth compared to Parvati, Max and Nyoka. It may boil down to personal preference.

As for combat , i am getting older and my reflexes aren`t what they used to be :p I played on normal and found no real difference in combat between the companions, just give them better armor and guns as you go along :shrug:

Well, there are apparently subtle differences with their special abilities. Differences the game doesn't appear to tell you about (not that I could find). As an example, Parvati and Max temporarily incapacitate the target of their special ability. Sam does too but it doesn't appear to last as long. Other companion specials do not appear to do so.

Based on testing various combinations just now, I'd assume the game applies status effects corresponding to the weapon type the companion comes equipped with initially. Regardless of how you alter their equipment (based on testing changes here make no difference to the status applied). Granted, I didn't get a large sample size because I tested it in my final save before the end-game where my character is level 30. So the only thing I can really think to test against is Mantiqueens. Everything else dies too fast.

I'm not sure if the above is a bug or something. Regardless, I found this knockdown/incapacitate behavior to be extremely useful. Either by taking an enemy out of the fight temporarily to improve your ability to focus fire, incapacitating tougher enemies to dump free shots into them and/or block problematic enemy abilities from going off. When combining it with TTD and offsetting the timing of using each it was easier to make problematic encounters far less so.

Bought it, it's okay and reminds me of some classic Fallout stuff, pretty good, but it only made me go back and install all of my Cyberpunk mods for Fallout 4 tbh.

What I've seen of it had me tempted, but not enough to buy it. But it has got me to fork out $1 for a 3-month trial of gamepass, which includes Outer Worlds. Not far in yet, but I've certainly got my dollar's worth.

Alright -- that started to get too much into story spoilers, so I didn't fully watch it. :p But I will say that for the devs to have built in such "blocks" in order to create challenges for the player, but for the system itself to be that robust and open-ended without breaking anything...

...I'd say that just shows how solid the foundations of the game really are if "open-ended" gameplay is the goal. Makes me wonder what future iterations of the game/engine will look like if they take something like this to heart and build on it.

Guest 4211861

I got it a few days ago and it feels like a solid game.

A bit skimpy on the world decor from far away, but otherwise a solid quest game.

I like the guns and how there are different styles, depending on manufacturer. Lots of armor styles too, in different colours.

Dialogue system is clear and straightforward and my god is there a lot of dialogue.

It's FalloutNV with a different engine, nicer graphics and a better story.

Also, I suggest you not pay too much attention to developer commentary and stuff like that, it pollutes the experience.

Top Bottom