[OBSOLETE since EE]1eyedking's Complete Original Script (subtitles AND journal!)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
thankz for that, now off topic but does anyone know how to burn files from a comp onto a dvd without a dvd burner

Attach a USB cable from your computer to a magnifying glass and direct the suns' rays onto the blank DVD.Seriously, what exactly do you mean? You could put the files onto a flash drive or memory card, take it to a friends house or possibly a library, and burn it there. If you mean from your own computer, that's sort of what a DVD burner is for.

Ramnexus said:
Dziadu,I have to take issue with you mate. 1eyedking went to the trouble of doing this for the fan community and deserves thanks. Your post was patronising and negative, no matter how many smiley faces you stick in there :eek: So what if it is not official? Have you never tried a mod for any game? None of them are official, yet (on the whole) they add to the gaming experience. That's fine by me, and very welcome!Your use of the word 'bugged' confused me. I assume you mean there are inconsistencies in the text of some sort, and you are not referring to the game code. The fact that i have the spoken English dialogue running means that such inconsistencies do not negatively impact on my enjoyment of the game (i have not encountered any yet btw).So to mirror everyone who's posted to this thread (except you); Thanks 1eyedking. Great work.
In turn I think your post is a bit harsh.It is perfectly natural for a developer to wish people to have the best experience of their game possible. They hate early versions of games being made public for the same reason - it can spoil the players experience and might even make them look bad.What's especially interesting is that people are wanting to experience the game 'as the devs intended'.. well you are not achieving that if you mod in/access to beta files/versions. If you have complaint about the dialogue then request that the original devs look at it and improve it officially, then we'll get the best experience and have the game 'as the devs intended it'.

Can anybody tell me how to look inside those .bif files? I think we could make comprasion and see which script is actualy closer to the Polish one.Dziadu - You seem to be unhappy that somebody is trying to restore English script. Why is that so? If the original script is not on the disk (BTW why did you left multiple English version and only one Polish?), why won't you share it with english-speaking gamers?EDIT: Wordpad:p? Yeah, it works, thanks. I intially tried to open it with notepad but then it crashed so I concluded that I'd need something more sophisticated. My bad.And now I see that my question for Dziadu doesn't really make sense as there are two versions of Polish script. At a glance they look pretty much the same, though. Tomorow I'll take a closer look at this file and tell you how much "original" (comparing it to the Polish one) the script that 1EYEKIND unlocked really is. As for now, let's just have a look at the famous dialogue with a dwarf from promotional video.Polish: A dlaczego kuska wchodzi w piczke? Taki jest naturalny porzadek wszechrzeczy. Ludzie od zawsze zarli się z krasnoludami i elfami. Nie mnie decydowac, z czyjej winy.English1(uncut brought you by 1EYEKIND):Why do pricks go in cunts? It's the natural order of things. Humans have always had it in for dwarves and elves. Not me to decide whose fault it is.In-game English:Humans have always hated dwarves and elves.My comment: English1 pretty much summarizes what dwarven smith says. Unfortunately, it's not even a half as good as Polish. As 'prick' sounds rather vulgar and offensive, 'kuska' is just inherently funny and sounds like a diminutive. So maybe this wasn't the best example. But consider that this particular sentence was much harder to translate than most of the others and still that "buggy developer secret" is much more picuteresque and similiar to Polish than that butchered In-game English. Just one other example:polish: Patelnia mu raz, dwa przygrzmocisz i zara inaczej bedzie gadal. Jestes kobieta, miej swoja godnosc, do diabla!English1(the uncut one): Slap him around with a pan, he'll sing a different tune. You're woman, have a little dignity, dammit!English3(in-game): Hit him with a pan, then tell your brother. Think of your children!Comment: Cut, cut, cut! Less words equals more money, that's obvious, who gives a toss about the atmosphere?Nobody, that's clear! Dziadu, you speak Polish. You must know which of the ones above is more 'original'. Will you still dare to try to prevail me that uncut dialogues are worse and less original that the in-game ones and that it's "not reasonable" to use 1eyekinds fixes? Of course, if you have some better version, it's nice (why won't you share it?), but you got to admit that now the 'bugged devs mysteries" is the best script that English-speaking gameres can use. The only outdated thing I've noticed is that the name Coleman is changed into Brick. Nothing more than that.The Witcher has a really amazing dialogues and for the developers (and of course for the game fans, like me) it has to be the pain in...ehmm, the neck, that most of the world can't fully appreciate that. Considering that, you should be happy that someone try to restore some of the game best aspects and by any means do not discourage him. I really don't know why you are doing what you're doing.I must look at this file deeper, but for now I can say that yes, instaling the 1eyekinds fix is certainly worthwhile.**- of course if this don't make crashes to occur etc., I haven't tested it in this way.

Hello!FIrst, congratulation eyedking!I'm the one who extracted the samples of the english cut you could see in the previous pages.Ptosion, you can open the dialogues00.bif with wordpad. Well it's hard to find your way in the blizzard of symbol but the dialogues are in. ;)For a specific line there are many scripts in each language. The order follows the id described in the file 2da00.bif (and 1eyedking wrote it in page 2)debug, English, FinalEnglish, FinalEnglish_Short, Polish, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Czech, Hungarian(but be aware, sometimes, this order is not respected, and sometimes, there are only one or two english script)So there are two scripts in polish, the 0 debug and 5 polish. Obvioulsy the 0 debug seems to be some sort of beta version, and I have noticed that sometimes the debug version is different and longer than the actual polish one. (but I don't speack polish so it's hard to say) And Dziadu, your reaction is a bit strange. I agree that there are some lines with a [dev] comment and outdated material, but there are also a LOT of stuff like that in dialogues00.bif : Owszem, chociaż to nie to samo, co w Oxenfurcie. Ach, studenckie czasy!True, but the situation now is nothing like Oxenfurt. Ah, college days!This is nothing like Oxenfurt. Es ist ganz anders als damals in Oxenfurt.Mais nous ne sommes plus à Oxenfurt !Esto no se parece a Oxenfurt.Ma questa non è Oxenfurt...I don't see any "dev mysteries" or bugged and outdated dialogue here. ??? Just a clear cut from the polish script!

kalniel said:
kalniel said:
Dziadu,I have to take issue with you mate. 1eyedking went to the trouble of doing this for the fan community and deserves thanks. Your post was patronising and negative, no matter how many smiley faces you stick in there :eek: So what if it is not official? Have you never tried a mod for any game? None of them are official, yet (on the whole) they add to the gaming experience. That's fine by me, and very welcome!Your use of the word 'bugged' confused me. I assume you mean there are inconsistencies in the text of some sort, and you are not referring to the game code. The fact that i have the spoken English dialogue running means that such inconsistencies do not negatively impact on my enjoyment of the game (i have not encountered any yet btw).So to mirror everyone who's posted to this thread (except you); Thanks 1eyedking. Great work.
In turn I think your post is a bit harsh.It is perfectly natural for a developer to wish people to have the best experience of their game possible. They hate early versions of games being made public for the same reason - it can spoil the players experience and might even make them look bad.What's especially interesting is that people are wanting to experience the game 'as the devs intended'.. well you are not achieving that if you mod in/access to beta files/versions. If you have complaint about the dialogue then request that the original devs look at it and improve it officially, then we'll get the best experience and have the game 'as the devs intended it'.
Kalniel, I disagree with your inference that the develper's desire is paramount. I know where you're coming from though: if the game is a work of art then there is an argument to maintain the artistic integrity of the product. So their desire should not be ignored, but in my opinion it is my desire on how i want to have my game experience which is paramount for me.You are making an assumption that the final product is what the developer's preferred. There is the influence of the publisher remember? If all games were 100% the desire of the developer we would not have so many games released obviously unfinished... The Witcher included.Kalniel I also think you are second guessing the desires of developers. The impression i gain is that the Developers wanted to (amongst other things) capture the style and vision of the original Witcher stories in game form. After reading The Last Wish and reading the original translation text 1eyedking has made accesable to me, it seems plain that the edit Atari insisted on (for the sake of brevity I understand) removed some of the style the Developers wished to convey.My hope is that we do see an official 'long english' version of the text eventually, but what i have will do me for now.

Just finished Act 1 with 1eyedking's work.I had no problems at all with it.Will have to see how it goes further down the line.For now I'm gonna set aside The Witcher and wait for the 1.2 patch.Again great job 1eyedking ;D

Wisars said:
Just finished Act 1 with 1eyedking's work.I had no problems at all with it.Will have to see how it goes further down the line.For now I'm gonna set aside The Witcher and wait for the 1.2 patch.Again great job 1eyedking ;D
Glad to hear that :D .I'm also finding myself waiting for patch 1.2. The loading times of the Trade Quarter have gotten the best of me.

Try out with a full defrag with jkdefrag..... remove pagefile, reboot in safe mode command line, run Jkdefrag.exe -a 7, wait a long long time, reboot, create a new pagefile, start the game, lower settings, load savegame of trade quarter and see if all that helped :)

Mobidoy said:
Try out with a full defrag with jkdefrag..... remove pagefile, reboot in safe mode command line, run Jkdefrag.exe -a 7, wait a long long time, reboot, create a new pagefile, start the game, lower settings, load savegame of trade quarter and see if all that helped :)
I've tried that already and the loading times improved quite a lot, but still, waiting 30-40 seconds for an area to load and 20-30 for the auto-save is kinda overkill with all the amount of entering and exiting you actually do.

Ramnexus said:
Kalniel, I disagree with your inference that the develper's desire is paramount. I know where you're coming from though: if the game is a work of art then there is an argument to maintain the artistic integrity of the product. So their desire should not be ignored, but in my opinion it is my desire on how i want to have my game experience which is paramount for me.You are making an assumption that the final product is what the developer's preferred. There is the influence of the publisher remember? If all games were 100% the desire of the developer we would not have so many games released obviously unfinished... The Witcher included.
Well I really meant the polish of the final product is what is preferred, not neccessarily the content. But remember that this project was largely self-funded by CDPR - it was not a title where the publisher has taken a large amount of equity in return for funding and thus pushed for release. In fact CDPR have said they were given the freedom to delay.
Kalniel I also think you are second guessing the desires of developers. The impression i gain is that the Developers wanted to (amongst other things) capture the style and vision of the original Witcher stories in game form. After reading The Last Wish and reading the original translation text 1eyedking has made accesable to me, it seems plain that the edit Atari insisted on (for the sake of brevity I understand) removed some of the style the Developers wished to convey.
I've not fully read all the translations, so might not be in a position to judge as well as you, however I still feel the style is quite accurately portrayed with the official dialogue. I agree the beta dialogues are sometimes lengthier, but IMHO it is the job of a good editor to cut unneccesary bulk while still getting across the style and content. Longer does not automatically mean better :)

Not to put the cat among the pigeons, but can't you distinguish PR damage control from a honest answer ? The very similar one was posted on rpgcodex (by someone else though), and there're some more or less blunt comments (esp. by Astromarine) on that PR spin. With which I agree wholeheartedly.On the subject of trivial mods like that, I'll probably change voiceovers from polish - which I find pretty terrible - to english, while keeping uncut english or polish dialogues. Unless english voices are worse (hard for me to imagine though).

No game stopping bugs yet. I'm playing through Act II for the first time using modified english subs with english voiceover. So far there were some differences between the two, but the interesting thing is that the journal is updated according to the subs, not the spoken text. This may explain why some people were complaining that quests arere disconnected because, with the original script, you really have very little idea what is going on. There are also some differences in names of plants and characters (for instance, Professor is referred to as "Phed", name of the dwarven lumberjack in swamps is totally different from spoken, etc.)

Phed is wordplay on PhD.Up to now I've only found the word 'Flint' not to be translated. Also some item descriptions look awkward, but that's about it.

Zabushant said:
No game stopping bugs yet. I'm playing through Act II for the first time using modified english subs with english voiceover.
That's good to hear :)One question: have you the time to read the "extended" subtitles? I don't know if the dialogue follows the text or the voiceover. (and i can't pause during dialogues\cutscenes).

Nameless-001 said:
One question: have you the time to read the "extended" subtitles? I don't know if the dialogue follows the text or the voiceover. (and i can't pause during dialogues\cutscenes).
Well, I'm a pretty fast reader so I can. My girlfriend, though, has some problems when it's a bigger chunk of text and the spoken line is something like "Understood."Yes, the pauses are timed with spoken dialogue in mind.

There *might* be an option/variable somewhere in the files that allows for a delay between dialogue instances, but I haven't checked yet.Developer help would be appreciated.

msoltyspl said:
Not to put the cat among the pigeons, but can't you distinguish PR damage control from a honest answer ? The very similar one was posted on rpgcodex (by someone else though), and there're some more or less blunt comments (esp. by Astromarine) on that PR spin. With which I agree wholeheartedly.
The very same answer by the same person. He posted it under his nickname "Dziadu" here, and under his real name, Lukasz, there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom