Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asking a really basic question, because I cannot find a good explaination around, the dev once said the all the demo are PC built, but is there a definite answer said this trailer is a PC build too?

Just asking a really basic question, because I cannot find a good explaination around, the dev once said the all the demo are PC built, but is there a definite answer said this trailer is a PC build too?

There is no context for this trailer presently. We don't know if it is console, or PC. What build it came from, or anything else.

ok so I downloaded the new 3 gig uncompressed video off of the MEGA site. it's a .MOV file but the weird thing is it only plays with realplayer and quicktime WTF? all my other video players refuse to play the file even with all codecs known to man installed on my PC. The shit part also is that the video doesn't play properly either there are like freezes every now and then that happen randomly like as if the file is waaay too big to process or something.

That said however the graphics don't appear that much different from the original released video off IGN's site. Hugely disappointed! I knew this was the case! that compression alone could not explain the terrible graphics. Something is wrong here like as if they had it on low settings or something. Im too scared to even think its a downgrade! CDPR still need to explain themselves...

---------- Updated at 05:39 AM ----------

Here is a link to two screenshots of the original video vs the new uncompressed video

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/340/e/3/untitled_1_by_iamthewizard2-d88yqsh.jpg

The new video is the top picture. The old video is the bottom picture.
New video is sharper but I would hardly say its a great texture :T

Last edited:
ok so I downloaded the new 3 gig uncompressed video off of the MEGA site. it's a .MOV file but the weird thing is it only plays with realplayer and quicktime WTF? all my other video players refuse to play the file even with all codecs known to man installed on my PC. The shit part also is that the video doesn't play properly either there are like freezes every now and then that happen randomly like as if the file is waaay too big to process or something.

That said however the graphics don't appear that much different from the original released video off IGN's site. Hugely disappointed! I knew this was the case! that compression alone could not explain the terrible graphics. Something is wrong here like as if they had it on low settings or something. Im too scared to even think its a downgrade! CDPR still need to explain themselves...

---------- Updated at 05:39 AM ----------

Here is a link to two screenshots of the original video vs the new uncompressed video

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/340/e/3/untitled_1_by_iamthewizard2-d88yqsh.jpg

The new video is the top picture. The old video is the bottom picture.
New video is sharper but I would hardly say its a great texture :T

The textures you're comparing there look bad because of the poorly done frost effect covering their armours.

Yeah, cdpr get rid of frost effect on armour, some fog is enough, we will use imagination to get cold sensation just by looking on wild hunt knights :). And do something with lights, what happens with GI?
Concerned citizen
Kind Regards

What if...the model we see and bitch about, might be the LOD model? I mean, ain't that hard to mess that up while setting the scene, but not noticing it...So in the end it might be LOD model but also I remember a while ago they said they aren't using LOD anymore and it's something "new" now.

That gif is fucking amazing. Look at all the little details, the pollen floating in the wind, the smoke, the clothes on the line. We haven't seen anything like that yet and it was in the very first trailer.

And Im starting to be afraid that we will not see anything like that in final game also.

I just saw the uncompressed trailer from that link, Happy to note that the textures and general graphics are much sharper, and look close to what's been shown in earlier trailers. It's tough to compare it to the earlier gameplay video as it's a different perspective - cutscene vs gameplay. That said, the global lighting does seem to be a bit off compared to earlier videos, particularly in that scene where the Wild Hunt swordsman is standing in front of the fire.

I'm going to wait till an updated gameplay video is released before passing any more opinion.

Honestly, except for nonexistent textures on wild hunt and some effects here and there the game still looks fine.
http://www.a.pomf.se/vklwoh.webm
About lying argument, well it's not a lie when they themselves believed that the game might look better. Realism of current gaming hardware kicked in though. Do i need to remind you guys terrible performance and frame skips in 35 min footage that was supposedly "60fps"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

Don't let all of this bother you REDS just get the game right as you have just about less than 3 months to the release, make those last minute polishes
and
We all; know that the Game will run on High settings on Consoles and Ultra High Graphics settings on the PC (The recommended hardware when unveiled)
All I request is keep those Extra Sidequests and Customization coming in even after release and make charaters like Dandelion, letho, zoltan, TRISS playable charaters through their unique story related sidequests (instead of some random miners missing DLC)
This will improve immersion and players will be more connected to not just Geralt, Ciri or Yennefer but to other important characters of the series as well.

Honestly, except for nonexistent textures on wild hunt and some effects here and there the game still looks fine.
http://www.a.pomf.se/vklwoh.webm

THIS. When you look at the other Wild Hunt soldier without the frost effect, they look fine. With the snow effect the textures get blurred and really bad.
I do not know why the Wild Hunt would get the 'frost emitting' effect though? But I hope player will be able to turn it off, even if it is fixed, I just find it annoying.

I just saw the three main gameplay videos besides de 35 minutes gameplay, the three looks the same, just the last one it's like a 360p video and the frost effect looks bad, everything else is the same, i don't see any downgrade here looking at all the gameplays. And i recall seeing this frost effect guy somewhere and the same discussion.

I think CD wanted to give us some trailer and they gave one excuse to haters to make this storm, involving even real fans. I think other possibility is ....... just too complicated or masterly, if it turns out i'll explain it xD.

when I left, the thread had like 60pages. Now, after a good night's sleep, I find app. 40 new pages most of which was once again bashing,whining, and personal attacks. The only reason I don't regret my time spent on going through all that was Kinley's link for the new, uncompressed version. Thank you for that our good bear.

Speaking of the parts of the trailer where frost is present and the low/not loaded textures parts: has anybody even thought about the posibility that they are not finished/optimized/polished yet? The REDs themselves said that the video was put together from several different parts of the game (and probably even builds) and so, if those parts are actually from somewhere later in the game (like the part where the wild hunt guy fights with Ciri), which is very likely, it would explain a lot.

Well the game is pretty much finished. Right now there is not much time to fix things. There will be christmas and i do not know single human being, that would want to work during this time. After christmas and new year comes what? 50 days? I do not think that is enough time to fix things like texture loading time and quality of mentioned textures while preparing the game for release. Let us hope :) we will find out soon.

Whether the game will look as crapy as it looks in the latest trailer or not - Im still 100% sure I'll be getting it. After all, even tho graphics really matters to me, I love Witcher series for what it is - amazing lore, story, characters and awesome gameplay. That being said I bought two copies, one on Steam and other on GOG for my brother as a Christmas present.

Hi everyone

I was always a lurker to this forum and have always tried to keep on track with the most recent news of developement of the series since the first games. I never was an active member of the community, but seeing this discussion lately and the bad will (or accusations of such) I couldn't stand aside.

Let me begin with my opinion of the trailer. There were 3 things that I felt were off or bad. This were:
1) Frost effect of the wild hunt armour, which makes the textures blurry or make it seem like its not properly loaded. The smoke effect is great though, imo. So are the textures on the "un-frozen" wild hunt armours, which look as good as in the SOD trailer.
2) Lighting in the Eredin scene seems off, but then again the perspective was weird and we didn't saw the whole scene or all of the potenital light sources.
3) Alignment of the chainmail texture on Geralt seemed off, but it's nothing that can't be fixed.
Overall, I find the video as good quality-wise as the 35 minute gameplay. It had its flaws and it was obviously worse than the SOD trailer, which had more cherry-picked scenes, but I don't see any tragedy here nor treason, and especially nothing that couldn't be rectified.

The thing that frustrates me though, is the way some of the community members reacted. Let me remind you all that we've got the 35 minute gameplay in three (3 - !!!!!) different language versions (English, Polish, Russian - AFAIR) recorded on different occasions. If you haven't had any problems with those, then I doubt that you should have many problems with this trailer after uncompression. Unless, ofcourse, you haven't put much effort in researching about the game (except the SOD trailer) or suffer from sight loss and hearing loss.
I'll give CDProjekt the benefit of the doubt, since they've always addressed all the problems in their games, sooner or later. In such way we've finally got the enhanced edition for the first game, with better localisation, and a much better second game than we could've imagined from the pre-release materials, when basically the only ones giving a fuck about the game where the fans of the first installment.
We haven't even seen the final product yet, yet some people started titling CDProject as the new EA/Ubisoft. IMO the only business mistake made by them so far is, sadly, pleasing a too broad audience. The effects of it can be seen right now. Some complaints here dangerously border hipsterism and graphic-whorism, and I'm starting to doubt if some of those complainers were even fans of the series in the first place, rather than some recent bandwagon addition to the community.

Also, as a side note, some of you base your accusations on the NeoGAF posts, yet no one was reluctant to cite them and share what they said in detail in the first place. Let me remind you that:
1) NeoGAF is known to build site recognition and popularity by spreading "breaking news", sometimes undocumented or even made up.
2) "Inside" poster wrote only something like 1 or 2 posts in that thread, avoiding giving any detail or evidence on the matter, or any explanations and answers to other posters.
3) The first thing he stated is that the developement process is based on some unethical exploitation of workers. We never got any evidence of them doing so, and it only sounds like a bullshit explanation, thought up only to "legitimize" his reasons for spreading confidential "information".
4) The second statement was about building "unrealistic" expectations by the marketing department. First of all, it's the job of the marketing dept to show and advertise the good sides of their product. Any producer and developer does that, from the smallest indie developers up to the big conglomerates. It's pure common sense and has nothing to do with being unethical. Imagine only if developers started advertising bugs and shortcomings during their production cycle. Also, If they would really want to keep those expectations THAT high, then they would never have published the gameplay videos or the latest trailer. Instead, we would probably only see, each time, only the finest cherry-picked scenes and vague materials.

ps. Sorry for my english. I tried my best to keep it free from errors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom