Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, let's close a thread where people are openly stating their concerns about the game in the hopes that they are addressed or listened to. Typical video game forum behavior; the slightest negativity is met with backlash as fans rush to the aid of their favored developer, moderators then close these threads and people get more frustrated with having no method of discussing their "negative" opinion.

Everyone should quit with the personal attacks, stay on topic and project whatever opinion they have in a mature, polite and concise manner. That said, locking this thread would essentially be shutting out the people with concerns and is essentially restricting freedom of speech.
I don't think you can say that there's strong censorship on this forum, certainly not compared to beehives such as NeoGaf. Well-founded criticism is always good. Addressing the texture and lightning problems in the trailer is a necessity. But this thread has turned into a toxic mix of slander, insults and scaremongering.

Even compare that hair to the new trailer. Same hair cut, you can tell it looks shinier and slicker in Famitsu. Especially around the pony tail knot. I'm pretty sure that this new trailer is E3 build or an older build in general

View attachment 8241
I'd like to lend my support towards this hypothesis based on my own observations that there seem to be many textures, meshes and models that look absolutely fine in the trailer, whilst others appear incomplete. In that particular image for example, the scabbard models and textures on Geralt look fine, but the normal mapping on the armor, particularly the chainmail, looks a little off. Same with the actual swords themselves. The metallic components seem far too basic, as if a number of maps have not been applied (ie diffuse, normal). This could be due to a rendering issue, or simply incomplete assets.

Same hair cut, you can tell it looks shinier and slicker in Famitsu. Especially around the pony tail knot. I'm pretty sure that this new trailer is E3 build or an older build in general
Also, both of Geralt's sword sheathes are the same. That's really odd
I think it is different lighting because of different weather.
There was an interview with one of developers (visual effects artist, i can't find it now) and he was talking about weather effects, lighting and how those thing are connected.
Maybe lighting effects and shadows are just dependent on current weather?

Last edited:
this thread has turned into a toxic mix of slander, insults and scaremongering.
The majority of the last few pages aren't this though. Recently most people have been talking about the differences, what they think about it, what they think it might be,talking about what Chris and Marcin said, talking about what we may want to see to put doubts to rest once and for all. Yeah, there are really angry people and trolls and whatever you want to call them. If you think a post is a troll post then don't take their bait and stop bringing them up and it would go away.

some people must also understand that this game has day/night cycle, weather system, big world/different locations - everything will have impact on how the game looks, or how lighting works.

The majority of the last few pages aren't this though. Recently most people have been talking about the differences, what they think about it, what they think it might be,talking about what Chris and Marcin said, talking about what we may want to see to put doubts to rest once and for all. Yeah, there are really angry people and trolls and whatever you want to call them. If you think a post is a troll post then don't take their bait and stop bringing them up and it would go away.

What did Chris and martin say?, i haven't followed every page of this thread

Cdpr, you MUST now release brand new gamplay to convince hardcore fans that quality stays the same. Think about it as Xmas present and therapy sesionad for some concerned people who already preordered game.
Thanks!

I feel bad for whoever made the frost effect. They're getting a lot of shit for it, and it's probably (hopefully) because it's a work in progress and not finished yet. I am a video game (visual) artist and I can imagine how bad that person must feel, and all probably because of a rushed unscheduled trailer.

Good luck sweet prince, keep your chin up. Prove them wrong!

Attachments

• 1392919820868.png
    1392919820868.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Cdpr, you MUST now release brand new gamplay to convince hardcore fans that quality stays the same. Think about it as Xmas present and therapy sesionad for some concerned people who already preordered game.
Thanks!

Sorry, but if you preorder a game just for graphics, you might as well go outside, you get the best graphics there for free.

Just await the final product before unleashing the wrath of the heavens upon a dev. It'll look good for sure, but it has to be playable on a wide-array of PC's as well, do you want a game that has the best graphics ever but plays with 10 FPS so it still stutters? I assume you do not, because it ruins the, wait for it, gameplay.

The game will be pretty nontheless, stop breaking your neck over something that doesn't make a good game good.

Sorry, but if you preorder a game just for graphics, you might as well go outside, you get the best graphics there for free.

Just await the final product before unleashing the wrath of the heavens upon a dev. It'll look good for sure, but it has to be playable on a wide-array of PC's as well, do you want a game that has the best graphics ever but plays with 10 FPS so it still stutters? I assume you do not, because it ruins the, wait for it, gameplay.

The game will be pretty nontheless, stop breaking your neck over something that doesn't make a good game good.

Ya cause graphics settings don't exist right?

Any one preorder whatever they want based on whatever they likie, if it is graphics, well.... most people like good graphics and that is one of the most important aspects of The Witcher series, as in any other top quality game.
In the last posts we see the worst insults maybe, to cdpr and others, that's why that ones got deleted, you didn't see them but they were there. Of course most people doesn't do that, any forum would explode if that happens xD

---------- Updated at 03:58 PM ----------

Do you realise what you saying doesn't make any sense? What are you talking about? 10 fps? wrath? breaking neck?
Are you referring to your own unspoken concerns.
I am talking here about new gameplay not burning one of texture artist on the stake for god sake!

What did Chris and martin say?, i haven't followed every page of this thread
Here

View attachment 8247

In the last posts we see the worst insults maybe, to cdpr and others, that's why that ones got deleted, you didn't see them but they were there. Of course most people doesn't do that, any forum would explode if that happens xD
Yeah, from one person. That is hardly "The thread turning into toxic shit flinging insults, etc" and some of those posts would not have even occurred if people stop responding.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 37

I feel bad for whoever made the frost effect. They're getting a lot of shit for it, and it's probably (hopefully) because it's a work in progress and not finished yet. I am a video game (visual) artist and I can imagine how bad that person must feel, and all probably because of a rushed unscheduled trailer.

Good luck sweet prince, keep you chin up. Prove them wrong!

This!
People just don't understand that it takes a lot of time and effort to make something beautiful. Just to create one model it may take week or even month of work (depending on the complexity) . Or take that armour close ups, it could be work of 4-5 different people.
Also If they had better models/textures/visuals that means they still have them! The only problem might be is that they need to put every thing together so it won't lag.

This!
People just don't understand that it takes a lot of time and effort to make something beautiful. Just to create one model it may take week or even month of work (depending on the complexity) . Or take that armour close ups, it could be work of 4-5 different people.
Also If they had better models/textures/visuals that means they still have them! The only problem migoht be is that they need to put every thing together so it won't lag.
We understand! And we have explanation from devs saying they rushed up things for award ceremony. They gave us tons of brilliant videos with stunning visuals so far so we can forgive one f***up.

Here

View attachment 8247

Yeah, from one person. That is hardly "The thread turning into toxic shit flinging insults, etc" and some of those posts would not have even occurred if people stop responding.

In the last posts the insults of one person that created the account only for that. in all the thread toxic comments, whining and complains.
why wouldn't i or anyone respond? and why would we assume that not responding would stop him? This is a forum, we make comments. putting the sight on who is debating civilized and not on the aggressive people doesn't make any sense.

Finally what stopped him was a moderator.

The deleted posts are where people insult each other, and responses to such posts.
And we're probably going to move to banning if people can't be civil to each other.

And could you all move away from discussing which posts are offensive, which should be deleted and so on? If you think it should be deleted, report it and move on. Responding merely escalates the problem, and a response as offensive as the post may result in action against BOTH parties.

Last edited:
The ramblings(?) of a Mad Man

Let me put on my tin foil hat here for a moment.

CDPR is obviously a multiplatform developer now and has to deal with both M$ and Sony. Once you get into the multiplatform business there are also some rules you have to follow, the first and most important one being:

You shall not make the pc version look too good or too superior in any way in comparison to the Xbone and PS4 versions or you can forget about a release on the consoles

and the second most important rule being:

Your PR department shall not speak openly about any of this, and in case you have to, come up with something about Youtube's crappy compression being the root of all teh evil

Now let's look back a few months to the announcement of the Xbone CE being bolstered with a cloth map and a physical version of the ingame card game which name escapes me. Apparently this was some kind of concession CDPR was fortunately able to force through for not having to make any Xbone-exclusive ingame content.
But what if this deal with M$ involves other, non-disclosable terms CDPR has to follow as well? Like, for instance rule no. 1?
And it's probably the same with the Sony deal. Except that the PS4 CE apparently doesn't need any additional incentives to compensate for technical inferiority.

And now for the Elder Blood promo.
It was obviously rushed, and contains footage of widely varyingly quality, ranging from the good, the bad to the fugly. Albeit good intentions CDPR fucked up and now reap what they have sown. Which in my opinion is entirely justified for having the audacity (or balls rather) to release something like the Elder Blood video 2-3 months prior to release. I'm sorry if this sounds entitled or arrogant, but there's hardly any excuse for not making sure that ALL of the footage looks consistent and like from a game to be released in February(!) with "genre-defining, truly next generation audio-visual fidelity". Some of the footage certainly looked the part (Ciri, Yennefer, Eredin) while others (Caranthir, Eredin, some of the textures, some of the lighting) certainly do not. Again, despite good intentions, they brought this unto themselves and now have to deal with the backlash, and rightfully so.

And especially if you then have a representative of the company coming forward and claim that it was just a problem with CDPR's inhouse video compression and youtube's compression on top of that, which fucked up the footage in some parts. I'm sorry but everyone with just the basic knowledge of compression and artifacting knows that this is complete and utter bullshit. Compression can't decrease polygon count and directly fuck up textures to look like they're from 1999.
This is basically rule no. 2 right here.

Was there ever a case since the inception of multiplatform developement where a PR representative or otherwise company affiliated came out openly and said , "hey guys, don't worry about the quality of some of the footage, this was just coming from the 6 months old non-optimised build of the version for the consoles"? If there ever was such a case I honestly can't remember.
There would be much less shitstorming without a doubt if developers would be more transparent and specific about the promotional stuff they make public. But for some reason (rule no. 2) they simply cannot, and just let the shitstorms go by mostly uncommentated and without addressing specific gripes in fear of pissing off other parties. Apparently it's already too confidential and dangerous to properly tag screenshots with the platform and build they were taken from.

The bottom line is that CDPR might have been rebels once but if you become a multiplatform developer you unfortunately have to play ball with M$ and Sony which involves all sorts of shady business (rule no. 1 and 2) you don't always can wriggle yourself out of.

I don't see CDPR going the way of Crytek (yet) but they're the perfect warning example for a once mighty PC centric cutting edge developer fallen low because of getting into the multiplatform development business and the concessions to the consoles this entails.

Let me put on my tin foil hat here for a moment.

CDPR is obviously a multiplatform developer now and has to deal with both M$ and Sony. Once you get into the multiplatform business there are also some rules you have to follow, the first and most important one being:

You shall not make the pc version look too good or too superior in any way in comparison to the Xbone and PS4 versions or you can forget about a release on the consoles

and the second most important rule being:

Your PR department shall not speak openly about any of this, and in case you have to, come up with something about Youtube's crappy compression being the root of all teh evil

Now let's look back a few months to the announcement of the Xbone CE being bolstered with a cloth map and a physical version of the ingame card game which name escapes me. Apparently this was some kind of concession CDPR was fortunately able to force through for not having to make any Xbone-exclusive ingame content.
But what if this deal with M$ involves other, non-disclosable terms CDPR has to follow as well? Like, for instance rule no. 1?
And it's probably the same with the Sony deal. Except that the PS4 CE apparently doesn't need any additional incentives to compensate for technical inferiority.

And now for the Elder Blood promo.
It was obviously rushed, and contains footage of widely varyingly quality, ranging from the good, the bad to the fugly. Albeit good intentions CDPR fucked up and now reap what they have sown. Which in my opinion is entirely justified for having the audacity (or balls rather) to release something like the Elder Blood video 2-3 months prior to release. I'm sorry if this sounds entitled or arrogant, but there's hardly any excuse for not making sure that ALL of the footage looks consistent and like from a game to be released in February(!) with "genre-defining, truly next generation audio-visual fidelity". Some of the footage certainly looked the part (Ciri, Yennefer, Eredin) while others (Caranthir, Eredin, some of the textures, some of the lighting) certainly do not. Again, despite good intentions, they brought this unto themselves and now have to deal with the backlash, and rightfully so.

And especially if you then have a representative of the company coming forward and claim that it was just a problem with CDPR's inhouse video compression and youtube's compression on top of that, which fucked up the footage in some parts. I'm sorry but everyone with just the basic knowledge of compression and artifacting knows that this is complete and utter bullshit. Compression can't decrease polygon count and directly fuck up textures to look like they're from 1999.
This is basically rule no. 2 right here.

Was there ever a case since the inception of multiplatform developement where a PR representative or otherwise company affiliated came out openly and said , "hey guys, don't worry about the quality of some of the footage, this was just coming from the 6 months old non-optimised build of the version for the consoles"? If there ever was such a case I honestly can't remember.
There would be much less shitstorming without a doubt if developers would be more transparent and specific about the promotional stuff they make public. But for some reason (rule no. 2) they simply cannot, and just let the shitstorms go by mostly uncommentated and without addressing specific gripes in fear of pissing off other parties. Apparently it's already too confidential and dangerous to properly tag screenshots with the platform and build they were taken from.

The bottom line is that CDPR might have been rebels once but if you become a multiplatform developer you unfortunately have to play ball with M$ and Sony which involves all sorts of shady business (rule no. 1 and 2) you don't always can wriggle yourself out of.

I don't see CDPR going the way of Crytek (yet) but they're the perfect warning example for a once mighty PC centric cutting edge developer fallen low because of getting into the multiplatform development business and the concessions to the consoles this entails.

Incredibly well-written. :)

While you are here spreading your disappointment there's someone who has already played the best game he had never played before...

Life is so unffair...

or we have what we deserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom