Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The witcher 3 on ultra is not going to look crap trust me and downgraded graphics make 0 sense in this day and age it only works the other way around games get downgraded for console not the other way around. The only reason you get downgraded graphics is because people like Ubisoft cba to optimize there games because they rush em out asap.

And that's exactly what it's supposed to be.. not the best ever in graphics, in combat or in scale.. I want a f***in great story, great art, the care for details, careful choices. And it will deliver. Pixel and square km of map counting rarely lead to satisfaction

since when do good graphics and an excellent combat system mean that the story and art wont be as good? Are they so short on staff that the writers are coding the game and designing the combat now?
:comeatmebro:
The game is supposed to be what CDPR want it to be and they want it to have great graphics, gameplay and story.

Last edited:
A pirouette? That's normal for Geralt, it's a part of Witcher training.

Indeed. Agility, precise movement and attacks and using the momentum of the body to enhance the power of a swing are what Witchers employ in combat.
To quote:

"One of the elves cried, splattering blood across Cahir’s face. Another Scoia’tael staggered and fell to his knees, holding both of his hands to his belly, where it had been torn open. The others fell back, dispersing across the courtyard with swords drawn.
A white-haired monster attacked them. He jumped from the wall. From a height it was impossible to jump without breaking a leg. It was impossible to land softly, turning a pirouette that blurred to the eye and killing a split second later. But the white-haired monster did it. And he began to kill. The Scoia’tael fought fiercely. They had the advantage. But they had no chance.

Cahir gaped in horror at the sight of the massacre that was carried out. The gray-haired girl who had struck him a moment ago was fast and incredibly agile, like a cat who was protecting her kittens. But the white-haired monster who jumped upon the Scoia’tael was like a Zerrikanian tiger. The gray-haired girl from Cintra, who, for unknown reason, had not killed him, had seemed to be crazy. The white-haired monster was not crazy. He was calm and cold. And calmly and coldly killed.

The Scoia’tael had no chance. Their bodies collapsed one after another on the flagstones of the courtyard. But none yielded. Even when there were only two, they did not flee, again they attacked the monster with white hair. Before Cahir’s eyes, the monster cut one of their arms above the elbow, the next blow that was dealt was seemingly weak and awkward, however, it threw the elf back and he fell into the pond. Water spilled over the edge of the fountain in crimson waves. The elf with the
severed arm cursed, staring, watching his blood gush from the stump. The white-haired monster grabbed him by the hair and with a quick slash of his sword, cut his throat. "

(Excerpt from "Times of Contempt")

Last edited:
the downgrade is not existent, the game looks amazing even on the old gameplay and bad make trailer. Newer gameplay and screenshots look better.

I didn't ever seen a picture or a video from this game looking bad, including the "downgraded" that the only thing that really look wrong is one texture of one effect that is obviously bugged not downgraded or bad designed, every game has this things even after release, the witcher 3 is not going to have those.

we will see in new footage.

I didn't ever seen a picture or a video from this game looking bad, including the "downgraded" that the only thing that really look wrong is one texture of one effect that is obviously bugged not downgraded or bad designed, every game has this things even after release, the witcher 3 is not going to have those.

we will see in new footage.

Every one is speaking about texture quality, low particle, simple lightening effects, etc. but I'm really amazed why no one complains about simple animations which reminds me of TW1. it's as if no one even care for it.

but I'm really amazed why no one complains about simple animations which reminds me of TW1. it's as if no one even care for it.

Because that's just flat out incorrect?

You can dislike the animations, but they certainly aren't simple, or lacking (At least not to a huge extent). Animations across the board are without a doubt improved over TW2, perhaps not quite as varied as games like Assassin's Creed or the Arkham Series, but certainly good enough.

Because that's just flat out incorrect?

You can dislike the animations, but they certainly aren't simple, or lacking (At least not to a huge extent). Animations across the board are without a doubt improved over TW2, perhaps not quite as varied as games like Assassin's Creed or the Arkham Series, but certainly good enough.
I didn't see any improvement from TW2 aside from fighting stances. If anything they feel terribly unrealistic and inconsistent, I hope CDPR will fix them by launch

I didn't see any improvement from TW2 aside from fighting stances. If anything they feel terribly unrealistic and inconsistent, I hope CDPR will fix them by launch
Well, look harder then, for one Geralt again has the crazy "unrealistic" witcher fight moves like in TW1 as opposed to TW2's generic human swordsman animations that were really, really slow(and to make them appear fast, the NPCs were made 10x slower while attacking)

Look at the way Geralt moves now! So much better. The animations seem to have more frames(smoothness) and the facial animation systems are miles ahead, TW2 had almost no facial animations when talking, you had like 2-3 slightly 'different' robotic expressions and just 1 face camera angle that switched to the face of whoever was talking, now you can see much more in cutscenes and they are much better, 'natural' looking. Facial animations like I mentioned, Geralt's face muscles actually move now when talking, he makes different expressions, the mouth moves according to the letters being uttered.

TW2 animations are very rigid and stiff, for example go look at the guy who arranges brawls, look at how he claps after you're done. Look at how the tone of the voice changes(for almost any character) in the game but no accompanying facial animation to portray it. People are moving around and doing stuff in conversations while talking, they just stay in one place waiting for you to continue your interaction in TW2.

Well, look harder then, for one Geralt again has the crazy "unrealistic" witcher fight moves like in TW1 as opposed to TW2's generic human swordsman animations that were really, really slow(and to make them appear fast, the NPCs were made 10x slower while attacking)

W2's animations were far from very very slow. Very, very slow = stupidly slow Dark Souls animations. Besides the guy who did the mocap for W2 fight moves was moving extremely quick. W3 is more akin to button mashing.

Look at the way Geralt moves now! So much better. The animations seem to have more frames(smoothness) and the facial animation systems are miles ahead, TW2 had almost no facial animations when talking, you had like 2-3 slightly 'different' robotic expressions and just 1 face camera angle that switched to the face of whoever was talking, now you can see much more in cutscenes and they are much better, 'natural' looking. Facial animations like I mentioned, Geralt's face muscles actually move now when talking, he makes different expressions, the mouth moves according to the letters being uttered.

TW2 animations are very rigid and stiff, for example go look at the guy who arranges brawls, look at how he claps after you're done. Look at how the tone of the voice changes(for almost any character) in the game but no accompanying facial animation to portray it. People are moving around and doing stuff in conversations while talking, they just stay in one place waiting for you to continue your interaction in TW2.
No, I'm not talking about inhumane 'unrealistic', I'm talking about robotic\a-physical 'unrealistic'.
some instances:
Geralt suddenly 'appears' forward with his sword down, no fluidity whatsoever.
After Geralt sword was swung it move forward of him as if teleported there
The sword is sheathed terribly.
And then of course there's the infamous black-hole dodge. (I wanted to put more gifs but the gif site won't let me use the longer videos)

TW2 conversations animations were indeed very stiff, TW3's however aren't exceptionally better. The hand gestures feel forced and the facial expressions look kind of off sync, seem to land perfectly inside the deep uncanny valley

No, I'm not talking about inhumane 'unrealistic', I'm talking about robotic\a-physical 'unrealistic'.
some instances:
Geralt suddenly 'appears' forward with his sword down, no fluidity whatsoever.
After Geralt sword was swung it move forward of him as if teleported there
The sword is sheathed terribly.
And then of course there's the infamous black-hole dodge. (I wanted to put more gifs but the gif site won't let me use the longer videos)

TW2 conversations animations were indeed very stiff, TW3's however aren't exceptionally better. The hand gestures feel forced and the facial expressions look kind of off sync, seem to land perfectly inside the deep uncanny valley

All of those are very specific moments where not the animation itself, but the melting between them, is similar to TW2 and not much better. The sheathing is indeed weird in a bad way though.

There are many other GIFs you could make with moments where the animations flow from one to another somewhat naturally, and at least certainly much better than in TW2 where there is no transition.

So the important question is how many times will we see the first example vs the second one. My personal guess is that it will be only in rare cases where you see such an abrupt break in the animations.

It also has to be mentioned that for what we saw, TW3 has much more responsive combat moves than TW2, and they are clearly designed to allow interrupting attacks and prioritizing agile decisions. which makes animating it fluidly way harder, so at least if sometimes the animation melting breaks it will be because gameplay improved, not because we lack both that, and the responsiveness, as in TW2.

I couldn't disagree more. It's by far the best facial animation system I've ever seen in a video game that isn't using Mocap and absolutely none of it feels forced, "off-sync" or in uncanny valley. I'm not really sure what difference we're seeing, but when I look at something recent like Dragon Age Inquisition in comparison, DAI is EXACTLY what you described and The Witcher 3 is absolutely not. Even in comparison to fully mocapped games like TLOU, The Witcher 3 holds up insanely well in the facial and conversational animation section (Although we have only seen 35 minutes).

As for the Combat animations, I do actually agree with some of what you're saying, however I still think it's without a doubt improved over TW2. If the Animations in TW3 are "unrealistic and inconsistent", then how badly do you mark down TW2 for its animations? As I said, you can dislike animations (As your gifs and statements prove), but it doesn't mean the Animation in the game is lacking or "simple", and that was what my original comment was trying to combat. All the animations look on-par for a AAA game and there is at the very least ALOT more in TW3 compared to TW2.

Also just a side-comment, both your First and Second Gif the problem I don't think is the animation, it's the blending. For example in the first one Quen "pops" whilst he's moving and gives off this really strange effect which makes the animation appear odd. Also in the second he's about to cast Axii and then decides to attack instead, and that's what causes that strange animation interaction... I don't know if stuff like that has been fixed, but I certainly don't think it's the animation that's the problem there, it's something else having an effect on the look of the animation.

Damn.
You just ruined the Witcher 2 for me. I wanted to replay Witcher 1&2 before Witcher 3, and all I'm gonna notice now are the flaws that you mentioned.
You done fucked it up, sir :)

As of now, from what I have seen, the facial animations look kinda stony to me. Especially in characters like the guy Geralt meets in the tavern, the old lady who is a slave of those hags, and the guy who cuts off his ear. There is no "realism" there. Geralt's face seems okay.

Ah yes, the "black hole" dodge. That is just the description I am looking for.

"Realistic fighting sim".

"Geralt again has the crazy "unrealistic" witcher fight moves like in TW1"

And again in TW3 lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom