Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I don't get here (among many things). Why does this discussion repeatedly downgrade to this vitriol?

I'm probably pissing against the wind here with this "let's all get together and sing Kumbaya" moment of mine, because when did that ever work on the internet, especially during an argument? But it's boggling my mind. I'm not against discussions or disagreements, but for the life of me I don't understand why some people are so hostile and spiteful about this matter, to the point where they continually either flamebait or disparage those who disagree with them, be it in a passive-aggressive manner or just open scorn.

I usually roll my eyes when I read comments like this my own right here, and tend to be very cynical about them, but I can't help it this time around.

People are allowed to choose whatever hobby they want and be as enthusiastic as they like about it, and specific aspects of it - like graphics. I myself dedicate most of my spare time to gaming, so I know how people can become emotional about it. But this is one of those threads where 'discussion' has reached such a disrespectful low and pointlessness that I'm suddenly slapped across the face and take a step back, after I realize how much energy I've been spending on something ultimately inconsequential and how petty I've become about it. I, and I'm going to guess that many others here, too, are in this for the fun, and not as some semi-religious crusade to reform the industry.

Because, ultimately, what is the end goal of this thread? What is its point, after 260 pages and going?

Thank you for writing this. I wholeheartedly agree with you, I wish that regardless of what people are saying, they would say it in a civil and neutral manner. I think the difference with other communities is that we don't police our own. I'm not arguing in favour of political correctness but a bit more empathy and rationality could sure come in handy lately.

I also want to second your point about the game itself. In the grand scheme of things, even if my worst fears were right, that CDPR had accepted a check from microsoft to hold back the PC I would still gladly purchase it. My trust in CDPR would be broken as a company that has PC interests at heart, but that would be the extent of it. Because a game is more than the sum of its parts and the tone, atmosphere and storytelling of witcher games are second to none. These games have soul, and that's all I can ask of them past matters of principle.

However I also believe in treating developers as human beings in the hope that maybe, just maybe, they are reading this. This means being friendly, polite, appreciative of their huge dedication but also having the honesty to respectfully tell them when I'm afraid they might be losing themselves. I might be wrong, but I'd rather try to snip in my 2c rather than resigning myself :).

He's talking about character models - which indeed look great, and this particular point was not a concern of mine - and generally making excuses. We haven't seen this kind of visual fidelity in the past year, and I'm afraid we might not see it at all. This has not been addressed by CDPR as far as I know.
Foliage itself similar to other gameplay we saw, we saw wind recently (No leaves flying though), the terrain in the distance is empty, Geralt's hair and model seems improved in new builds, the villager models seem the same, shadows look similar too.

The way the light affects geralt's armor seems like we haven't seen it again though. The buildings look good, not sure if we've seen that type yet.

Also it seems in newer builds they up the colors a bit. Does that shot also use the sharpening filter? I see signs of it but maybe it's gif quality (Use Webms guys, cmon)

Last edited:
Alright I am being completely serious here please point out to me what is impressive about this gif in comparison to the most recent gameplay?

This particular shot from VGX trailer (among several others) has been chewed already for countless pages across several threads. Read up on those if you want a technical comparisons. The difference is so striking to me, that I really don't need a technical analysis - it's right there in front of my eyes. And if you honestly don't see a difference - there is not much that can be achieved by arguing about it. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's like having an argument about a certain smell which the other person can't seem to smell.

This particular shot from VGX trailer (among several others) has been chewed already for countless pages across several threads. Read up on those if you want a technical comparisons. The difference is so striking to me, that I really don't need a technical analysis - it's right there in front of my eyes. And if you honestly don't see a difference - there is not much that can be achieved by arguing about it. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's like having an argument about a certain smell which the other person can't seem to smell.
So what is supposed to be impressive? The sharpening, pop-in and clipping even worse than it is now, jaggy shadows, no hair physics or the copypasted assets?

Quote Originally Posted by Xigmus View Post
Wow...that's stupid. I guess there's no point watching trailers for games anymore.
There never was any "point" other than just entertainment. And that's not stupid, that's just how things always were.

I dont know how old are you,but no, it wasnt always like that.

Foliage itself similar to other gameplay we saw, we saw wind recently (No leaves flying though),
Actually, one of the major things I've noticed in the gameplay of the past year - is the completely disappointing foliage. I went over the latest gameplay vid just now to have another look at the foliage - and there is a big difference. It looks very flat compared to VGX.

Attachments

• hire.jpg
    hire.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Actually, one of the major things I've noticed in the gameplay of the past year - is the completely disappointing foliage. I went over the latest gameplay vid just now to have another look at the foliage - and there is a big difference. It looks very flat compared to VGX.
I think they both look pretty similar. It might be the sharpening filter that makes it look different. To me a lot of it looks similar, I love the density of the VGX shot though and I hope we get some dense vegetation areas (It looks like we will going by some of the cut scenes with the background not in focus)

However the issue of lighting quality in that trailer remains subjective. We've made a mistake of rendering some shots in dark and gray colors. It was just an option picked randomly by the engine. I think that there will be places in the game that it will look stunningly good and no-one will accuse us of changes from the first trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be places where the game will look worse. It also happens in GTA - when the storm comes and it's gray, especially in the woods, graphics will for sure seem worse than in the living city illuminated with neons.
Can we have that option of dark and gray colors? Beacuse looking at this acid cartoon colors is eyewatering:)

Aren't you afraid that the situation of Watch_Dogs will repeat itself, when the first trailer was compared to the final built of the game?

If one watched the trailer they would see that the character models in the game look better, even Geralt, he's been perfected - he's got better shaders, for instance. We made lots of new details, considerably improved the facial expressions and lip synchronization with spoken lines. We're dubbing it to 7 languages so we're not able to record motion capture of changes of the actor's face, like in Call of Duty. It wouldn't fit on three blu-rays. So we implemented the dynamic system based on sounds/phones, like in The Witcher 1 and 2, where it was weak. In The Witcher 3 it's incomparably better done, we've raised the bar for whole industry in comparison to other games that have to use the same system [like, among others, BioWare's games - editor note] and you couldn't see this in the trailer.

Also i watched 3gb version of new 15min gameplay from gamerside where they put that first trailer at the end so we can comparehttp://www.gamersyde.com/download_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_january_2015_gameplay-33950_en.html
And i can say that the characters look better, i give them that. Sharper textures more volume in the chainmail. But i stiil want the colors from the trailer, they give much better atmosphere.

Well I can point out several ways its inferior, and in fact have done so several times now. If your argument is essentially nothing than yeah I can't argue with that. Personally I want the game to look better, and not like some alpha footage from nearly over a yeah ago now.

What more needs to be said CDPR. You already said it. Przepytaliśmy Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED

http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132&STR=3

And all the models and textures are the same?

"Yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time. We'd have to undress her, build and test separately on three platforms, which is impossible. So we do it on a single database, and then distribute it to all devices.
On platforms where there is less memory otherwise manage it. Load less complex models, it all depends on what is happening on the screen at any given time. In summary, there is little difference between the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One"

Also I expect a garbage port. Why? Cus in the same article you say ubersampling is currently impossible. That is funny, cus a R9 290 is 4 times as powerful as the SEMI-custom (not custom) GCN architecture GPU in the Xbox One. Ubersampling should be a breeze on one card, let alone 2. It is easier to run Ubersampling on Witcher 2 than 4k in Gedosato or native 4k.

I cancelled my CE edition the moment I found out this was an Nvidia Games Works game. I still planned on buying it, but if you want to give me wal-mart textures? You will get wal-mart money, when the game is on sale for 20 bucks on steam a year from now. I am not going to support A. Games Works, which is a joke and which leads to horrible ports in every game we have seen lately that uses their blackbox library B. lowering textures down to the lowest platform.

Want my full price money? Simple. Give us a downloadable texture pack with higher textures. TXAA? Is a joke. This game should be running at 4 times the resolution as the PS4 version on a R9 290/GTX 980. We should not have to use inferior AA like TXAA to blur the crap out of bad textures. In a worst case scenario the game should be optimized well enough that we can run 4xSSAA. VRAM? Tech articles from PS4's Second Son showed they use around 2.5 gigs in VRAM. Seeing this is an open world game that is more complex and seeing the downgrade? You look like you are using 2 and that is probably what MSI afterburner will show.

Have fun with the spin CDPR. You already said the game was built around a Xbox One from your own mouths. Sorry, but you should know PC Gamers are not this dumb...

What more needs to be said CDPR. You already said it. Przepytaliśmy Adam Badowski, head of CD Projekt RED

http://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=1132&STR=3

And all the models and textures are the same?

"Yes, there is only one version, without it we would not be able to create the game on time. We'd have to undress her, build and test separately on three platforms, which is impossible. So we do it on a single database, and then distribute it to all devices.
On platforms where there is less memory otherwise manage it. Load less complex models, it all depends on what is happening on the screen at any given time. In summary, there is little difference between the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One"

Also I expect a garbage port. Why? Cus in the same article you say ubersampling is currently impossible. That is funny, cus a R9 290 is 4 times as powerful as the SEMI-custom (not custom) GCN architecture GPU in the Xbox One. Ubersampling should be a breeze on one card, let alone 2. It is easier to run Ubersampling on Witcher 2 than 4k in Gedosato or native 4k.

I cancelled my CE edition the moment I found out this was an Nvidia Games Works game. I still planned on buying it, but if you want to give me wal-mart textures? You will get wal-mart money, when the game is on sale for 20 bucks on steam a year from now. I am not going to support A. Games Works, which is a joke and which leads to horrible ports in every game we have seen lately that uses their blackbox library B. lowering textures down to the lowest platform.

Want my full price money? Simple. Give us a downloadable texture pack with higher textures. TXAA? Is a joke. This game should be running at 4 times the resolution as the PS4 version on a R9 290/GTX 980. We should not have to use inferior AA like TXAA to blur the crap out of bad textures. In a worst case scenario the game should be optimized well enough that we can run 4xSSAA. VRAM? Tech articles from PS4's Second Son showed they use around 2.5 gigs in VRAM. Seeing this is an open world game that is more complex and seeing the downgrade? You look like you are using 2 and that is probably what MSI afterburner will show.

Have fun with the spin CDPR. You already said the game was built around a Xbox One from your own mouths. Sorry, but you should know PC Gamers are not this dumb...

Some recent posts in here like your own make me highly disagree with this assessment.

Such a compelling argument. Such awesome counter arguments. Oh wait. You have nothing to say. You insult me, yet offer nothing to this conversation. Have a nice day. Enjoy the Xbox One game.

No matter what you have to say, you don't have to be this scornful about it. Calm down.

From that video i can say that we will get different types of crossbows(or its just Gabriel upgrade-cranequin) and all parts of the Bear armor is upgradeable. Thats why in different screenshots and cuts of video the spaulders just kinen and stripes, padded cloth, same with leather or metal and boots and vambraces covered by bracers/greaves and breastplate with coat by chainweave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom