Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem with getting useful throughput out of multicore is scripting. Scripting in Lua is widespread and entrenched in the industry. But Lua is effectively single thread. (It has coroutines, but no proper mapping to threads.) So everything you do in Lua, positioning your actors, invoking dialogue, and so on runs in one thread. If your scheduler is any good, that one thread gets mapped to one core and stays there. On a CPU that lacks good single-threaded performance, you end up with one core running 100% and everything else waiting on it.

---------- Updated at 12:48 PM ----------

No, but i want at least 30fps in TW3 on real ultra settngs (all - ON) with One powerfull GPU(970\780Ti\980), Not 2 in SLI, ot not dual GPU.
In 2011, playing The witcher 2 with 30 stable fps on Ultra was real only with 2 gtx 580's..

What if nobody can give you that? What if it's really impossible to cram 25 pounds of manure in a 10-pound bag? Or equivalently, what if all the content and all the effects in the full implementation of the game on Ultra do not run on any single card available today?

What are you going to degrade and call it optimization in order to have that? That's a rhetorical question. The only answer is Nothing. Nobody who is not part of the development team has any ground to claim that the developers have not done the best job possible of making the complete game fit in the available resources. And nobody has the right to demand that they leave anything out.

TW2 with my rig performed well (I played Enhanced Edition) and a very important thing: it's one of the few games that play smooth even under 60fps. Often games need to run at constant 60 fps or suffer massive slowdowns/have bad tearing, both things I don't stand. In fact this strive for 60fps is misplaced imho.. games can run smoothly even at, say, 30 or 40 fps. And it's clear that developers DO NOT have 60fps in mind when they optimize games. But again, if it's smooth, it's ok

EDIT - added- Cannot include Ubersampling in "Ultra" setting IMHO.. that is simply a setting to leave off unless you want to cripple performance for tiny advance in visuals, see something maybe in screenshots, completely unnoticeable while playing. This is called useless at my place with due respect to CDPR.. But hey many users are happier if games runs like crap because they "use the hardware", so they are right to implement it. I'm never against adding to the game as long as it's optional ;)

Last edited:
TW2 with my rig performed well (I played Enhanced Edition) and a very important thing: it's one of the few games that play smooth even under 60fps. Often games need to run at constant 60 fps or suffer massive slowdowns/have bad tearing, both things I don't stand. In fact this strive for 60fps is misplaced imho.. games can run smoothly even at, say, 30 or 40 fps. And it's clear that developers DO NOT have 60fps in mind when they optimize games. But again, if it's smooth, it's ok

Weird, I had the opposite experience. It had to be 60 fps to be anything close to responsive, and dropped frames were very obvious. And the mouse was very poorly implemented, slowing down with the frame-rate.

Weird, I had the opposite experience. It had to be 60 fps to be anything close to responsive, and dropped frames were very obvious. And the mouse was very poorly implemented, slowing down with the frame-rate.
Could be, every rig is a thing apart. Maybe some fiddling with driver settings or else is required... Anyway better to return on topic

I think the major advertising hasn't begun yet (for both consoles and PC) and will start closer to release, remember guys we are still almost four months away! Seeing as how this is a big deal for Nvidia with all the advanced graphics technologies and such (both from CDPR and Nvidia), They will most likely market the game to us PC folk with previously announced features (and possibly new ones), which many people don't know about since they weren't all publicly advertised to us. They might market it as a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" title, maybe even a GPU partnership type deal. I'd wait, I'm sure a game of this magnitude using GameWorks and showing off pics and vids of the game maxed out with it, only to be shushed and toned down is all part of their plan. Trust me, do you really think they ditched us PC people and decided they wanted parity? I hope not, besides, patience is a virtue. :)

Last edited:
yeah im pretty sure that we are in for a Witcher 3 Nvidia trailer.... like with Watch_Dogs, FarCry 4 and AssCreed Unity... why cram those effects in if you are not gona show em? :)

I think the major advertising hasn't begun yet (for both consoles and PC) and will start closer to release, remember guys we are still almost four months away! Seeing as how this is a big deal for Nvidia with all the advanced graphics technologies and such (both from CDPR and Nvidia), They will most likely market the game to us PC folk with previously announced features (and possibly new ones), which many people don't know about since they weren't all publicly advertised to us. They might market it as a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" title, maybe even a GPU partnership type deal. I'd wait, I'm sure a game of this magnitude using GameWorks and showing off pics and vids of the game maxed out with it, only to be shushed and toned down is all part of their plan. Trust me, do you really think they ditched us PC people and decided they wanted parity? I hope not, besides, patience is a virtue.

Seems promising, but now CDPR only talks about the NVIDIA Fur simulation... They could say us whether the rest of those systems are to be implemented in the final verison or not :) And I don't really care if it would kill all our PC's, after some years they won't and the game will still be fresh as hell.

Last edited:
I think the major advertising hasn't begun yet (for both consoles and PC) and will start closer to release, remember guys we are still almost four months away! Seeing as how this is a big deal for Nvidia with all the advanced graphics technologies and such (both from CDPR and Nvidia), They will most likely market the game to us PC folk with previously announced features (and possibly new ones), which many people don't know about since they weren't all publicly advertised to us. They might market it as a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" title, maybe even a GPU partnership type deal. I'd wait, I'm sure a game of this magnitude using GameWorks and showing off pics and vids of the game maxed out with it, only to be shushed and toned down is all part of their plan. Trust me, do you really think they ditched us PC people and decided they wanted parity? I hope not, besides, patience is a virtue.

A good thing people still remember that vid, more or less the sort of thing i've been hoping for.

Does anyone know what were the antialiasing options for the pc version in the preview event? Was it just an on/off option or more like fxaa, mssa etc? I hope there are multiple antialiasing options because in the gameplay footage u can see some aliasing on the sword and the environment. I personally can't stand aliasing and i really envy people who dont care.

Does anyone know what were the antialiasing options for the pc version in the preview event? Was it just an on/off option or more like fxaa, mssa etc? I hope there are multiple antialiasing options because in the gameplay footage u can see some aliasing on the sword and the environment. I personally can't stand aliasing and i really envy people who dont care.

Reports speak of a generic "mild antialiasing". So it seems there was some. To be honest I didn't notice aliasing (a tedious one) in the HQ video.

Last edited:

Even if the character models, textures, animations etc look like they do in the original trailers, I'm fairly confident in saying that you won't be able to replicate the scene with the camera panning over the trees, viewing the landscape. It looks too good to be true considering the more recent landscape shots.

In hindsight now the original trailer comes across as a tech demo designed to showcase nVidia effects, not as a representation of the graphically fidelity of the game. That is, of course, the cynic in me talking. I would like to be proven wrong or be shown otherwise on release.

The sad thing is, I know CD Projekt can deliver. My confidence is just...shaken.

This reminded me, that in the newest gameplay-video the water effects didn't looked particularly good when was Geralt swimming on the surface.. it looked like oil or worse.. but whatever.. yeah, and volumetric clouds, that's terribly missing

Well "semi" volumetric, to be precise :) And yes, I would love them to be present in the release as well. But about the water, I think the turbulence effects on the water looked amazing in the latest trailer. Actually in my opinion water is one of the best things they did in the game.

I'm sure with all those effects in the video the graphics are gonna be incredible on ultra settings. What i'm more concerned about is if they can achieve minimal pop in (or at least hide it well) and good distance lod, considering the huge draw distances of the game. In the previews they said there was noticeable pop in even on pc which sucks because it breaks immersion for me.

Well "semi" volumetric, to be precise :) And yes, I would love them to be present in the release as well. But about the water, I think the turbulence effects on the water looked amazing in the latest trailer. Actually in my opinion water is one of the best things they did in the game.

Hmmm.. I don't know.. well, overall the water doesn't look bad, and the waves in the distance are good, but this effect - In my opinion something is wrong with that.. the physics of the water are ok, but some effects are not there

The best water effects I think have Two World II and AC IV

Attachments

• voda.jpg
    voda.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 27
  • twoworlds22010-11-12132ap6.jpg
    twoworlds22010-11-12132ap6.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm sure with all those effects in the video the graphics are gonna be incredible on ultra settings. What i'm more concerned about is if they can achieve minimal pop in (or at least hide it well) and good distance lod, considering the huge draw distances of the game. In the previews they said there was noticeable pop in even on pc which sucks because it breaks immersion for me.

In all honesty, the pop-in is unavoidable. Maybe there will be the option to push the distance a little more but in the end it's not a changer - you're gonna experience it anyway -. This is due to how the engine works, and it has to be so, it would be simply to much even for the best PCs to draw full resolution textures and details at any distance. Tw2 also had pop-in, mods were released to draw the foliage even far away but they crippled the performance. Maybe they can manage in the upcoming months to have a more "subtle" pop-in and of course that would be good news. But we're speaking of top rigs, the effect could also be worse with less powerful rigs. Well known Badowski's statements are unclear on this point, in spite of he says I would find odd if PC version didn't have some setting regarding draw distance.

In all honesty, the pop-in is unavoidable. Maybe there will be the option to push the distance a little more but in the end it's not a changer - you're gonna experience it anyway -. This is due to how the engine works, and it has to be so, it would be simply to much even for the best PCs to draw full resolution textures and details at any distance. Tw2 also had pop-in, mods were released to draw the foliage even far away but they crippled the performance. Maybe they can manage in the upcoming months to have a more "subtle" pop-in and of course that would be good news. But we're speaking of top rigs, the effect could also be worse with less powerful rigs. Well known Badowski's statements are unclear on this point, in spite of he says I would find odd if PC version didn't have some setting regarding draw distance.

I didn't notice any bad pop in when playing skyrim.

Anyways, I think a dissolve in like what the first crysis game used was a lot less offensive and easier on the eyes because it wasn't just this huge magic apperance of objects.

Yup, I agree in the Watch Dogs case. AC Black Flag is somewhat close too. But Two Worlds' waters look too blue to be realistic :) And also, I watched that part where Geralt swims again now, and it looks good in my opinion. Of course no one can judge an effect on a screenshot.

Also on a side note, the same water tesellation is used in Witcher 3 as well (It is nVidia's nonetheless). But I believe the intensity is much lower, as it would be PC melting in an open-world game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom