Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I see... so people want perfect lighting, perfect camera angle, perfect color balance, perfect texture visual 'impression' from every single screenshot out there...
Settings, development stage, platform don't matter . They need to be magnificent always and everywhere...

I admire the idea but seriously people....

For anyone interested in just how insane an effect change in time of day, weather & lighting will have on just about any scene in the game, this is an interesting comparison...

For anyone interested in just how insane an effect change in time of day, weather & lighting will have on just about any scene in the game, this is an interesting comparison...

Is one of these taken from the old trailers, and the other one taken from the recent gameplay footage?

These two screenshots are taken in different times of the day, it is clear.

But I think there is more: there had been taked in different systems, at least one of them is from consoles.

Look the trees at the back. They are at the same place, but their leaves clearly differ in number.

But I think there is more: there had been taked in different systems, at least one of them is from consoles.

Look the trees at the back. They are at the same place, but their leaves clearly differ in number.

It appears that it has something to do with how the trees react to being lit. In the first screenshot, the tree behind Vesemir, to his right, appears to have more leaves than it does in the second screenshot, where it's in the shadow. At the same time, the tree behind Geralt, to his left, appears to have fewer leaves in the first screenshot (in the shadow) than it does in the second, where its leaves are in the light.

So, in both screenshots, trees that are not hit directly by the sunlight appear to have fewer leaves.

I'm not so sure of it.. and even that, differences on trees on the back provide no sure information about where the game is running tbh

I think Geralt's hair also looks different, besides illumination settings I mean.

Update:
Maybe better anti aliasing, judging by the wolf medallion.

I think those were taken from different systems, and that the one on the right might be our ultra.

Update 2:
There seems to be more shadows being rendered on the right image, like for instance on Geralt's neck.

Last edited:

So now it is out there how much the time of day and lighting can drastically effect the scene, It is ok to assume that we can recreate the swamp scene from SoD trailer. And does that not 'solve' the entire downgrade thread?

So now it is out there how much the time of day and lighting can drastically effect the scene, It is ok to assume that we can recreate the swamp scene from SoD trailer. And does that not 'solve' the entire downgrade thread?

This is a very interesting pic and does go some way to explaining the differences in lighting quality from trailer to gameplay. The difference here is quite extreme and I could see some other scenes from the gameplay looking a lot closer to their trailer versions just by going there at a certain time of day, and this is on the HIGH setting only!! Imagine what ultra plus ubersampling will look like in that scenario :O I can't wait to see screenshot comparisons after release of side by side shots of the game next to the trailer and I have faith that the final game will live up to and even maybe surpass the trailer!

Sadly it isn't going to solve anything, and it wasn't really meant to, it was just an interesting comparison. Case and point is that there's already a discussion happening over whether one of these is from a Console build, and whether or not one image has better leaves.

The point of the comparison is just to display how drastically different a scene can look based on the time of day, and presumably weather conditions. (We can thank IGN for somehow obtaining this picture, I don't know how they got it but it fits perfectly with the footage we got).

However it is my firm belief that as long as CDPR hasn't ripped entire effects/features out of the game (Forward Soft Lit Particles, Volumetric Clouds, Particle effects like the leaves from the (in)famous VGX GIF etc), you crank that bad boy up to Ultra, find the same time of day or weather condition to match the specific moment and yes, I think Marcin is right that anything from VGX/SoD will be able to be re-created. Perhaps not 1:1, maybe that good 'ol VGX Gif won't look precisely the same because the new lighting doesn't quite give off the same effect, or the sharpening is gone, but it'll look pretty fucking close. (Or of course the fact that Eredin has been redesigned, but that's a given)

Last edited:
Please re-upload the graphics Witcher 3 as they were at first, do not do downgrade on pc, I would ask you please

Leave the game look like in the first videos he taught CD Projekt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom