obvious problems with this patch

+
obvious problems with this patch

i decided to make this list with the most obvious and notorious problems with the current patch, which i hope will be fixed in the following weeks;

1 - silver locks hitting golds

golds with passive abilities were given armor/deathwishes to "protect them from removal"... and they can be nullified by silver locks, which are present in almost every deck.
a card like bork, which offers 8 str on the board, can be shut down by ciaran; a 9 str silver with extra utility. this to me is a massive overlook in design and can simply be fixed by making silver locks unable to target gold cards

2 - stemmelford's tremors and carryover

on the pre-patch live stream, it was said that carryover was nerfed due to being a powerful mechanic that was forced into every deck... and now we have decks that are able to spam tremors and stack up to 24 points of carryover in one round. this card goes directly against the very statement of the developers, and i have no idea how it was allowed past QA

3 - dolbathanna protectors

yet another card which contradicts the statements of the developers. pirate captains and spotters were changed in order to avoid the previous style of play, where people would spam reveals and discards and finish round 3 with triple 15 power bronzes. yet, that is exactly what happens with protectors... spamming spells and finishing the game with triple 15-18 power bronzes.
again, i have no idea how this was allowed past QA

4 - vrihedd officer

this card is simply ridiculous... 13-16 points on a bronze unit, along with the ability to fix bad draws and the potential extra tempo when combined with wardancers and vanguard.
to put into perspective, ermion with double raiders would only give you 15 with a similar effect, and that is for a gold card.

5 - menno and Infiltrator

similar to vrihhed officer, the power of this combo is way too high. having no upper limit on menno's ability and no restriction on Infiltrator targets makes the potential power swing unhealthy for the game.
infiltrators offer 9 power by themselves, and they might offer an extra 6-10 points due to synergy with enforcers and brigades. combine it with the following play of menno and you're able to remove the opponent's highest unit with an 8 power gold.
getting ~15 tempo from infiltrators along with an easy 20+ from menno is quite ridiculous . to put it into perspective, tibor offers 23 and gives your opponent an additional draw

Last edited:
you always can use own lock and unlock your units, so i don't see it as issue

Menno isn't that powerful, it requires additional 9 power bronze, and 9 power bronze in current meta is weak, there is way higher power swings than this using bronze cards

1 - You cannot prevent Silver cards from locking Golds, because save from D.shackles, every lock is Silver (or Radovid, I suppose you meant Silver + Leader; otherwise that would make Rad quite OP), and no one in his right mind plays shackles.
Btw, as a line of principle, if Golds can be Scorched, Assassinated and weathered I don't see why passive abilities Gold should get any protection.

2 - True, ofc.

3 - True as well, they just contradict themselves.

4 - True.

5 - Yup, Menno should (like the Assassin) have a cap of 10.

I mostly agree with your written analysis, 3 points out of 5 are about ST.
My conclusion is that without ST being OP (especially spell decks) we would enjoy an otherwise fresh and creative game, just like we did for one day post-patch release.

According to my tracker, half of my ranked games are vs ST.
Look forward to see what kind of mess happens in the Pro Ladder.

Checco515;n9426751 said:
5 - Yup, Menno should (like the Assassin) have a cap of 10.

who would play Menno with 10 points cap? 18 point gold with condition to make exactly 10 points enemy disloyal and that can't even burn Cantarela anymore will be really weak

Ramcius;n9426881 said:
who would play Menno with 10 points cap? 18 point gold with condition to make exactly 10 points enemy disloyal and that can't even burn Cantarela anymore will be really weak

I said 10 because that's the Assassin's card limit.
Many cards are "spell effect with a body", like Peter or Coral, and they follow the original card's limitation.

On top of that, Menno can damage by 4 if the requirement is not met.
He would be perfectly playable.

Checco515;n9427251 said:
I said 10 because that's the Assassin's card limit.
Many cards are "spell effect with a body", like Peter or Coral, and they follow the original card's limitation.

On top of that, Menno can damage by 4 if the requirement is not met.
He would be perfectly playable.

Assassin is a bronze unit, not a spell, and no, 18 point conditional gold won't be playable, i straight up replace that with Assassination or Gigni (which do pretty much same work in killing big dudes with less limitation)

Coral is 5 less points than current Menno (-3 body and -2 for artifact on opponent board) without requirement to make opponent unit disloyal, so they should change it to be effective only up to 10-12 power units too to be balanced?

Ramcius;n9427421 said:
Assassin is a bronze unit, not a spell, and no, 18 point conditional gold won't be playable, i straight up replace that with Assassination or Gigni (which do pretty much same work in killing big dudes with less limitation)

Coral is 5 less points than current Menno (-3 body and -2 for artifact on opponent board) without requirement to make opponent unit disloyal, so they should change it to be effective only up to 10-12 power units too to be balanced?

Assassination is much more conditional and the cap is 16.

Coral copies a Silver spell, that's why her power is lower than you expect.

Checco515;n9427771 said:
Assassination is much more conditional and the cap is 16.

Coral copies a Silver spell, that's why her power is lower than you expect.

no, assassination can attack any unit, while Menno only disloyal, also, your proposition is 18 point Menno, if lucky to get 10 point enemy unit, so that's 2 points on perfect conditions + requirement of bronze

So, Coral can kill big dudes, Menno don't? Menno should use scorch then, i wouldn't mind that

And no one had a problem with a bronze card locking gold? Personally, I like that any kind of lock works now. Having a bronze lock a gold but not a silver made no sense. And if you want points, turn the bronze lock into a unit. I never liked shackles because it didn't give you tempo. I don't like AR because it doesn't give you points.

Mnorojo;n9428221 said:
Tremors is broken as hell. It should not spawn the big elemental, but two of the little ones. That would discourage people from spamming it. Then its balanced

I thought this very same thing after watching the vid this morning

It worries me that it takes so much struggle and time for the devs to realize clear mistakes and to balance many of new cards. It's frustrating.

Mnorojo;n9428221 said:
Tremors is broken as hell. It should not spawn the big elemental, but two of the little ones. That would discourage people from spamming it. Then its balanced

Basically any unit between 4 and 6 strength that doesn't have carryover would seem alright to me.

i didnt see you complain when Tibor was played in the last round giving a useless card which doesnt just beat 23 points. Geralt has 13 and no effect. Makes sense? Yeah... deal with it, it is just now the patch that's shits over your opinion. YOu still can stop playing like thousands other wise dudes did ^^
My Saskia just was killed like that by the new Assassin Nilfgard card. Cool isnt it, just kill the gold card. Could it be buffed at least way more? Sure. AM I pissed? Nah, it's Gwent, Baby. Just go make yourself tea why the fool on the other end plays with himself, easy :)

Last edited:
seffard;n9429051 said:
It worries me that it takes so much struggle and time for the devs to realize clear mistakes and to balance many of new cards. It's frustrating.

oh, now stop complain, because they cant take critics and ban you xD
So stop complaining alreadyyyyyyyyyy have nice dayyyyyy, it is al fiiiiine

one of the biggest issues for me is the coin flip. it has really gotten worse with the patch since most of the games are against tedious control matches in which who goes first is generally the deciding factor.

As far as silvers locking golds go, I don't think that is the fundamental problem here. The problem is they made a drastic change to a fundamental principle of the game without proper play testing. It is obvious that they didn't. If the goal was to make gold cards more interactive, then they should have gone through and looked at each card on an individual basis and decided if it would be healthy or not for the game and/or introduced new cards that interacted with gold cards to have the intended effect. Who cares if your gold card gets locked when A.) you can unlock it B.) there are a huge number of cards that can just kill it outright.

Rhoida;n9429381 said:
one of the biggest issues for me is the coin flip. it has really gotten worse with the patch since most of the games are against tedious control matches in which who goes first is generally the deciding factor.

I haven't seen a control deck since the new patch. It's more like a slap fight where each side takes turns slapping each other and the person with the harder slap and/or tougher cheek wins. I don't know. Maybe that is what you think a control deck is. I picture a control deck being more like a Bloody Baron deck from last season where you try and suppress your opponent while building toward a finisher that they can't answer. Or the Avallach deck where you try to get your opponent to draw their whole deck while restocking answers in yours.

Top Bottom