[Obvious spoiler] Really lazy "cutscene death" trope

+
Come on, CDPR. This is possibly the most cliché gaming thing ever: having a character die in a cutscene from a wound that would otherwise not be a problem. ESPECIALLY in the world of CP, where stims and other portable medical items exist.

I'm of course referring to Jackie Wells.

Whilst I get that it has an impact on the story, this sort of thing is so... lazy! Anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one annoyed by such things?

No I totally agree.

You watch him soak up a metric F-ton of bullets and punch out a dude with a ginormous Machine Gun on your first run and for `reasons` he is like the T-1000.

Then he dies because the plot says so. Not to mention T-Bug who apparently just dies because? fuctifino.

Honestly, I didn't feel a thing because his AI is garbage and all he did in EVERY mission is tell me that enemies could see me. yabber on about cameras and basically put his arse in front of my gun and ruin my attempts at stealth.

I was like `See ya Captain Obvious, phew now I can play uninterrupted`. Not really a huge win in terms of story building or giving a crap about some guy who V is supposed to be close to.

Maybe the OG FF7 was the pinnacle of emotional gut-punch story telling?

Let's not confuse gameplay mechanics and the reality of the setting here. You get shot with a high calibre round and fall from a building, you die, even in CP. That the player character can snarf stims like skittles and magically be fine is because you want them to see more combat than death screens.

Keive

Forum regular
It's an overall more depressing story. I'm upset we saw it in a trailer and it was a big spoiler. Thought we'd get a choice cuz why keep showing Jackie and talk about Jackie just for that?

Let's not confuse gameplay mechanics and the reality of the setting here. You get shot with a high calibre round and fall from a building, you die, even in CP. That the player character can snarf stims like skittles and magically be fine is because you want them to see more combat than death screens.
If he got shot in the head or something... but come on. This could have been handled SO much better.

Keive

Forum regular
If he got shot in the head or something... but come on. This could have been handled SO much better.
And yet in game I have to head shot someone a few times before they fall down, not even die just, fall and struggling to get back up

Again, you don't need to have your head blown off to die in CP. Simple blood loss and internal injuries will do just fine.

And yet in game I have to head shot someone a few times before they fall down, not even die just, fall and struggling to get back up
That too! :p I'm just pointing out that this could have been done better, and a headshot would have already been more believable compared to how it's handled currently.
Again, you don't need to have your head blown off to die in CP. Simple blood loss and internal injuries will do just fine.
At least have him soak up a number of bullets or something... as it is it's a really bad execution of the TV Trope "plotline death".

Top Bottom