Odd frametime spike

+
10900k (no overclock)
MSI RTX 3090 suprim x
32GB 3800mhz
MSI Z490 Gaming edge
WD m.2 850

Hi
I run Cyberpunk at 4k on max setting with DLSS on performance (this issue happens on all DLSS settings/off) and I have odd frametime spikes. Maybe everyone gets these, so I thought I would check.

The game runs at 60fps and yet I get random frametime spikes even if the fps is still locked on 60. The spikes happen in no set pattern and strangely it's normally when there is little going on. It seems like a map section loading in as I fly through the city, which I could understand, but the main issue is when V gets a call and when V completes a mission.

When an NPC calls V, as soon as that video pops up I get one big spike, but it's not 100% of the time. The one that is 100% of the time is when I finish a mission and the message pops on screen and that little bit music plays, I get one big spike.

I wondered if the end of mission spike was because of the auto save, but that does not explain the ones I get when V gets a call. They are all mission connected though, either getting offered or finishing one.

It's not end of the world stuff, it might be 3-5 spikes per 20mins and they last like half a second, it's just really stands out because the rest of the time its smooth as butter.

Thanks for any info

1. What do your temperatures look like during the spikes?
2. Are you able to see CPU and Memory utilization (perhaps on a different screen in task manager? (ctrl+shift+esc -> performance tab)?
3. What does GPU utilization look like during these times?
4. Is FPS dropping? (Not sure how to enable in game)
5. Check event viewer (windows key + r -> click on administrative events -> look for errors) for anything OS or application related.

In view of timing 3-5 per 20 minutes, that's sound auto-save for me, but maybe I'm wrong.
I wondered if the end of mission spike was because of the auto save, but that does not explain the ones I get when V gets a call.
And for that, yep. The game also auto-save when V receive a call. Especially Fixers calls (launch a GIGs for example).

1. What do your temperatures look like during the spikes?
2. Are you able to see CPU and Memory utilization (perhaps on a different screen in task manager? (ctrl+shift+esc -> performance tab)?
3. What does GPU utilization look like during these times?
4. Is FPS dropping? (Not sure how to enable in game)
5. Check event viewer (windows key + r -> click on administrative events -> look for errors) for anything OS or application related.
Hi
Been looking at this for a while. Nothing stands out. All temps are way under red zones. GPU is maxing out because, well its Cyberpunk on max settings, and I can see why people would be drawn to that, but the spikes don't seem to happen at all during high stress (gun fights/lots of stuff on screen) As for the CPU, its

My frametimes run in line with the fps with no issues. The frametime spikes happen for the same reasons, be it getting a mission via NPC video call popping up or finishing a mission. The other random ones are driving through a sizeable chunk of the map (those feel like map data loading in)

Graph wise all is ok, nothing stands out. The only thing is the FPS might drop from 60 to 55 at the frametime spike, but the spike is over 100+ms...for the sake of 5 fps? And again, I can go to a heavy part of the city, spin the camera 360 over and over and all is fine, and yet I get random 1 off spikes.
Post automatically merged:

In view of timing 3-5 per 20 minutes, that's sound auto-save for me, but maybe I'm wrong.

And for that, yep. The game also auto-save when V receive a call. Especially Fixers calls (launch a GIGs for example).
Yeah, those frametime spikes I get (not happy if it's not happening to everyone though :) ) its these other random ones where I am doing nothing to cause it. All seem connected to how data is streamed in/saves.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a Ui problem. I play at the same res and settings with a 3090 too tho i use an AMD ryzen. I get some crappy preformance sometimes too but havent noticed spikes in frametime. its generaly that fps can tank a bit with alot happening. Checked the memory temps? Seen alot of ppl with 3090s having problems with high vram temperatures under heavy loads. Hwinfo has a gpu memory junction temperature

Edit: Nvm i think i have that stutter too. Never thought it would be frametime. Cant check it atm since my mods dont like my overlays but its like the game freezes for a very short time when completing a quest? Sometimes when answering a call? Kinda think its the games fault, since it has too stream in the video/save.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a Ui problem. I play at the same res and settings with a 3090 too tho i use an AMD ryzen. I get some crappy preformance sometimes too but havent noticed spikes in frametime. its generaly that fps can tank a bit with alot happening. Checked the memory temps? Seen alot of ppl with 3090s having problems with high vram temperatures under heavy loads. Hwinfo has a gpu memory junction temperature

Edit: Nvm i think i have that stutter too. Never thought it would be frametime. Cant check it atm since my mods dont like my overlays but its like the game freezes for a very short time when completing a quest? Sometimes when answering a call? Kinda think its the games fault, since it has too stream in the video/save.
Yeah that's when I get many of them, it's just for a split second but it stands out when it's 60fps all the time.

The other happen when they should not. Just random walking around, not doing anything to stress GPU and get a split second spike. The hottest thing in my PC is the GPU memory junction which hits 88c at the most.

Thats ok temps i get the same pretty much. 110 is when they start too throttle. Is it a clean install of Cp2077? Using latest drivers? Resizeble bar? Ive mostly noticed some shadow problems and some reflections beeing weird from some angles but dont think i get that random stutter. The complete quest and answer call i think i get. gonna see if i can get a Frametime chart...

Thats ok temps i get the same pretty much. 110 is when they start too throttle. Is it a clean install of Cp2077? Using latest drivers? Resizeble bar? Ive mostly noticed some shadow problems and some reflections beeing weird from some angles but dont think i get that random stutter. The complete quest and answer call i think i get. gonna see if i can get a Frametime chart...
CP is not a clean install, I am on my 3rd playthrough. I checked the integrity, and it was fine. Bar is set and all the normal go to checks.
The MSI AB charts show all ok. The only things that stand out was a dip from 60fps to 55fps and it gave me a 120ms spike and yet all I was doing was walking on a path that had no taxing RT lights or crowd. And yet I can go into heavy cpu/gpu areas and not get a spike as quickly/often.

hmm yea got my overlay running. was in Konnpeki plaza played liek 10 mins and rocksteady frametime. the Fps was kinda shit in the heavy RTX zones but no frametime issues. Gonna have too check more when im out of that mission. dam hade liek 44 fps sometimes with dlss on balanced -.- wtf game? its not THAT pretty... :D

hmm yea got my overlay running. was in Konnpeki plaza played liek 10 mins and rocksteady frametime. the Fps was kinda shit in the heavy RTX zones but no frametime issues. Gonna have too check more when im out of that mission. dam hade liek 44 fps sometimes with dlss on balanced -.- wtf game? its not THAT pretty... :D
I just had another. GPU usage was in the high 80s then I got a spike. GPU usage fell to 74% and FPS dropped from 60 to 55.

The strange thing is I just tried turning all RT stuff off (without RT it should never dip below 60) and yet I still got that dip of 5fps for a split second. CPU/temps all fine.

It seems to be something is happening no matter my settings that drops the FPS for a split second (power and all looks fine)

I might try a reinstall, but I don't see how that will change anything if the integrity check is fine.

seems something is happending allright. Any background processes or does it load somthing just at that split second? play at 4k? my gpu is allways pinned at 99% usage so could be why i dont get that dip?

Yeah 4k. Strange thing is (need to check more) I think I get more now since moving from high/very high+ balanced to ultra+ performance.

i run psyco :) pretty much pointless but i want those pretty lights/reflections. take a hit too fps tho. When the light and smoke and so on come togheter it can look fantastic. Old picture tho ^^

Attachments

• photomode_20122020_080633_resultat.jpg
    photomode_20122020_080633_resultat.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 71
i run psyco :) pretty much pointless but i want those pretty lights/reflections. take a hit too fps tho. When the light and smoke and so on come togheter it can look fantastic. Old picture tho ^^
Yeah I tried it, but I want 60fps no matter what's on screen. Sadly, this game needs the next GPUs to come out...plus it might be finished by then lol

Hehe kinda doubt it. More or less given up on that pipe dream. Built this pc for Cp pretty much and have gotten like 60-80h outa it. My skyrim actauly looks better and oddly runs better but thats another story :D have you tryed disabeling v-sync and just let the gpu go up too full load? I have a 98hz monitor so i never cap out and allways keep it at 99% usage

It's a 120htz TV with gsync.

Looking at MSI AB I see frametime spike of 100+ and at the same time the power % drop from 100+ to around 40. The GPU usage goes from like 99 to 30 to 70%. This makes sense as the frame is not rendered (GPU not in use for a split second) so power/usage drops.

The thing is, why does it drop?

On each drop, all the CPU side looks fine, no big spikes or anything. Temps on VRM and all that are fine so no throttling, plus if it was temps and PSU, it would happen more the longer I played, but it does not.

hows your power usage? have you oced the 3090? and are you using 3 seperate pci-e cables? i have that kinda with 2 8 pin connectors on 1 cable. i hade too just use the first one and run a new cable from my psu too get stable power too it. power hungry like hell. Seen my 3090 pull 480w with my oc so it can be finiky getting it too work properly.

This happens at stock and OC. Its draw is 420w..425w at stock. Forget how much when I OC, but the PSU is a P2 1200w so it has the juice.
I use 3 8pin cables so no issues there.

The odd thing is the power draw for the GPU does not drop below 405w while testing Cyberpunk. It stays between 405 to 426. This is odd because if the usage drops, surely the power draw would drop, well unless there is something in place in side PSUs to stop sudden spikes.

The game runs at 60fps and yet I get random frametime spikes even if the fps is still locked on 60.
I've also seen some lag spikes recently but I thought it was because of a mod that I have been trying out.
is your FPS always locked to 60 FPS? I'm asking because when Vsync is disabled, it should be possible to get more FPS when lowering the settings. If it's always locked to 60 FPS with Vsync disabeld and Gsync enabled, make sure to disable Gsync for windowed mode in the Nvidia Control Panel...

I've also seen some lag spikes recently but I thought it was because of a mod that I have been trying out.
is your FPS always locked to 60 FPS? I'm asking because when Vsync is disabled, it should be possible to get more FPS when lowering the settings. If it's always locked to 60 FPS with Vsync disabeld and Gsync enabled, make sure to disable Gsync for windowed mode in the Nvidia Control Panel...
My TV has Gsync so I dont use vsync. If I let it do its thing with my settings, it does 60 to 75fps and when the spikes happen; it drops a sudden 5fps.
If I cap it at 60fps its solid until the spike where it drops to 55fps, but that's the thing, it's not what's on screen that does it. I can walk in the city and be fine, walk down a path with nothing to tax my PC and get a spike.

Something is happening to make the GPU lag/wait, which would make me think the CPU is not keeping up, but all its power/usage is fine and at 4k it's not pushing the CPU.

Wondering if it's maybe the motherboard and how it handles passing the data? can motherboards cause spikes?

Top Bottom