[Official Problem] Language Subtitle Packs are incorrect for several users for The Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch

+
To the best of our knowledge, there will be no changes to the regional availability of languages. As has been stated, this is not something that CDPR can simply dictate. This is something that is affected by a wide array of concerns between companies and countries.

Also, this is not a situation that affects only TW3 on Switch. This is something that affects a large number of games on various platforms. Please, be aware of these details when deciding to purchase any game.

Regional language availability is clearly listed here:

We are aware that the situation was not exactly clear at launch, but the information was quickly updated. Additional language packs have since been added as they could be. Aside from that, there is no guarantee that any additional languages will be made avilable in any regions.

So you sure there won't be more language packs added in the future? Or in long term?

It is not made clear at all, especially on the eshop where limited language packs are available, without explanation of what is included in them.
Why would I even think to come to this website after it was stated "We’re supporting the same set of languages as on other platforms"
From the limited statement it was easy to assume the voices would be available by region, but why would subtitles not be available everywhere? No Chinese is Australia? That is absurd. "Australia" also not listed by name on this website.

What I see is "the same set of languages as on other platforms" so why would I not think it would be available to me?

Again, CDPR "can not simply dictate", so I assume they're doing all they can, making it clear their paying customers want and need these features available? Pointing out these boundaries of where languages are available is arbitrary and not reasonable to their customers?
I bought two copies of this game to play with a friend, and we can't play it. What is reasonable about this? It is your stupid customers' fault for assuming a game will be playable, as it is on other platforms?

CDPR can not simply dictate. Okay, it's not simple to make it happen, but for your customers you work on it. You contact who you need to, repeatedly. You make it clear part of the game is missing for a large number of your paying customers. It sucks that it's harder to get done than simply dictating the change, but you work to make it happen.

The game is available, but not finished and complete.
Fix it.

It is not made clear at all, especially on the eshop where limited language packs are available, without explanation of what is included in them.
Why would I even think to come to this website after it was stated "We’re supporting the same set of languages as on other platforms"
From the limited statement it was easy to assume the voices would be available by region, but why would subtitles not be available everywhere? No Chinese is Australia? That is absurd. "Australia" also not listed by name on this website.

What I see is "the same set of languages as on other platforms" so why would I not think it would be available to me?

Again, CDPR "can not simply dictate", so I assume they're doing all they can, making it clear their paying customers want and need these features available? Pointing out these boundaries of where languages are available is arbitrary and not reasonable to their customers?
I bought two copies of this game to play with a friend, and we can't play it. What is reasonable about this? It is your stupid customers' fault for assuming a game will be playable, as it is on other platforms?

CDPR can not simply dictate. Okay, it's not simple to make it happen, but for your customers you work on it. You contact who you need to, repeatedly. You make it clear part of the game is missing for a large number of your paying customers. It sucks that it's harder to get done than simply dictating the change, but you work to make it happen.

The game is available, but not finished and complete.
Fix it.
Man, I feel u, but I do not think they will give a damn about us, and they r just waiting for this thing pass until nobody will continue complaining about language pack DLC. I am done with it, I was planning to buy Cyberpunk 2077 before this happened. But for now, I know their attitudes towards players now, what if we can't find Chinese subtitles and text ( or any other language ) in Cyberpunk 2077 either? And no one want to fix it? I don't want to spend money on nothing again...

Then don't let it pass.
Everyone who has this issue, or just thinks it's unfair for the ones that do, should be posting constantly about it.
They don't care about their customers once they've paid for the game, but I'm not just forgetting about it.
Make the game playable for all customers.
Work to make it happen. Show that you care about the players, and maybe we'll look at your games in the future, but this is unacceptable.
This is not even a big request. Subtitles available in all regions. Make it happen.
Post automatically merged:

Nintendo's response:

"please be aware this game is not developed by Nintendo. We would suggest you reach out to the game developer."

So who needs to be contacted?

Last edited:
I bought the game from the American region, and now that I have found that the Arabic language was supported but you have removed it after the update, please return the Arabic language like DLC

Again, Nintendo's response when contacted about the subtitles being lacking:

"please be aware this game is not developed by Nintendo. We would suggest you reach out to the game developer."

So whose responsibility is it? Who needs to be contacted? You guys are working on it and it'll be available shortly?

Make the game playable for the people who bought it.
All subs pack for all regions. Now.

Again, Nintendo's response when contacted about the subtitles being lacking:

So whose responsibility is it? Who needs to be contacted? You guys are working on it and it'll be available shortly?

Make the game playable for the people who bought it.
All subs pack for all regions. Now.
I mean, our requests are absolutely reasonable, there were language packs that everyone needed, but they removed all of the language, that's just...doesn't make any sense at all. And there is one interesting thing, the HongKong version witcher 3 is the only version have Chinese language pack and I saw this game was on sale at America eshop, but I guess this game won't be on sale on the HongKong eshop in a long time ( I admit I was trying to buy this game twice!!! in the HongKong version eshop!! but it's not on sale and it will cost me around another 450+HKD=89CAD), maybe it won't be on sale during whole 2020, not just HongKong eshop, every areas' eshop. That's the point, that's the way to earn more profits because they know, people might buy this game twice because a lot of players ( also includes Arab, Korean, Japanese...) accidentally bought the wrong version that doesn't support their mother languages, and they have to switch to another eshop to buy the correct version.

Last edited:
people might buy this game twice because a lot of players ( also includes Arab, Korean, Japanese...) accidentally bought the wrong version that doesn't support their mother languages, and they have to switch to another eshop to buy the correct version.

It's not just accidentally bought the wrong version. It was stated "We’re supporting the same set of languages as on other platforms" so I bought the game from my eshop. I shouldn't have to create another account to log in to a foreign eshop, and permanently have another profile on my Switch because of it.
If it's as easy as making the Honk Kong version available in my eshop now, then allow me to download that for free and delete the one I have already paid for. Allow this now while working on an "all subs" pack available everywhere.

Last edited:
It's not just accidentally bought the wrong version. It was stated "We’re supporting the same set of languages as on other platforms" so I bought the game from my eshop. I shouldn't have to create another account to log in to a foreign eshop, and permanently have another profile on my Switch because of it.
If it's as easy as making the Honk Kong version available in my eshop now, then allow me to download that for free and delete the one I have already paid for. Allow this now while working on an "all subs" pack available everywhere.

I feel you, I am still waiting for their next step, hopefully, they will add more languages pack as DLC in eshop.

I feel you, I am still waiting for their next step, hopefully, they will add more languages pack as DLC in eshop.
They've said it's not their decision. Nintendo said, "please be aware this game is not developed by Nintendo. We would suggest you reach out to the game developer."

Whose decision is it? Why isn't it being done? (Why isn't it already done?)

Congratulations to CDPR and Saber! Don't listen to players. Players that support the industry. Players that buy your games. It's a very nice way of thinking. Congrats

I will say, let's don't push CDPR too much, on the one hand, they don't care, on the other hand, they might have some reasons why they can not add more languages to every region. I was very upset about there r no language subtitles and text that I want, and keeping sent my requests, but SigilFey from CDPR replied to me a long paragraph to explain why they can't add all languages to every region, I really respect that. I will just wait until CDPR come out the best solutions and I might buy the HongKong version which has Chinese subtitle and text coz I really like this game and meanwhile, I also feel very disappointed about that I have to do this just because they don't add all languages players want. Cyberpunk will release soon and I just wish CDPR can also pay more attention to Witcher 3 players (like whats happening rn) and please do not disappointed Cyperpunk players as well. I am already post lots of words here and I guess I am really done with this (tired and sad), I am waiting...

There r some words from SigilFey:

" For what it's worth, I understand and sympathize with your stance. I find this type of "regional" thing trifling, annoying, and stupid. Basically, counter-productive to the industry. I get you.

But that's the way it is. Love it or hate it, it's done. It's not CDPR's decision. And no, they're not going to call and harass their business partners until they get what they want. (That's ridiculous.)

Your statements are made, and they're right there on the board. Along with the tremendous number of people that agree with you. However, no "banging the table and waving arms for attention". Not acceptable conduct. Sometimes, we just don't get what we want.
The future is unwritten. I think they added more than they thought they would be able to already. However, I do know that there are other concerns, especially with China. There are actually strict sanctions that the country has placed on what will or will not be made available in different regions. (*Note: This is NOT something that can be discussed on the boards, as it's getting into real-world politics.)

But this is in no way a situation where CDPR can simply say, "Well, we want to do it this way." Whenever a studio starts getting bigger, especially if they start becoming international, and especially-especially when the big boys (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...) start getting involved, there will be layers of legal and contract complexity that must be adhered to. Nature of modern life on Earth, I'm afraid."

You can respect that you got a reply, that is great. But I don't respect what it says.
Refund me for the game I purchased and cannot play if this is not going to be fixed. You got a response when you contacted them. I got a response when I contacted Nintendo, stating:

It doesn't sound that Nintendo is in their way.
If the game was purchased for PC here there would be the subtitles available.

Not going to call and harass their business partners until they get what they want? A game that people who purchased it can play? Why is that ridiculous?

Banging the table and waving arms for attention? I don't want attention. I don't want them to know my name. I want the game I bought to be playable. That's not acceptable conduct?

Refund my purchase then.

I still go to eshop to check if CDPR add more languages into the witcher 3 everyday, and check if this game on HongKong version eshop on sale or not so I might buy it again just for my mother languages (not likely), and I go to this website every day to see if anyone response to players about this languages pack problem, what I am doing now is like a man who just broke up with his ex and still want to check her daily personal life which is funny. Because I am sad about what is happening now, I love this game, and I can not play it and it seems there is no way I can play it anymore, and no one wants to fix this language problem, how sad it is. I am trying to let it go, but every time I thought about this, I feel upset, waste 90 CAD, cold and irresponsible reply, bought this game but throw it away under the desk and never touch it again. SigilFey told me my words are spam, that what he said, I tried to understand that's not easy to fix this languages pack problems and even tried to persuade other players, but I started to think its just BS, they had this language in the game and remove it? Players are waiting, and CDPR does not give a damn, our anger turns into sad and hopeless, and no one cares about it eventually...
But I should be thankful, I did not spend lots of time on this game and put most of my time into university school work, and I started to try Animal Crossing new horizon which I dislike before, now I got more time to play that game with CHINESE text and subtitle, Thank you! CDPR!! And you also taught me to make sure to check if my language available on the specific area, so I spent 90CAD to buy this lesson, great!

I did check.

"We’re supporting the same set of languages as on other platforms (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Spanish - AL, Arabic, Czech, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese - Brazil, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese). "

Complete Edition Language Pack available from the eshop. No description to say what it includes, and more importantly what it doesn't. Why would I not think it includes what the above says?
Clarifying it elsewhere later isn't good enough.

Nintendo's response:

But no response here.

I cannot play this game and was mislead before purchase.
Refund my purchase.

I played this game on PC. I am so in love with this game so I decided to purchase it twice on the switch(at a price almost 3 times higher than other platforms) to show my support and respect to its developers. I did try this game on my friend's switch and I did confirm that the Chinese language is available on cards purchased in the local US BestBuy with my own eyes. Then a few weeks later, I bought my own copy and guess what: After a thoughtful half-hour of update. The Chinese language is removed from the game. I am fine with the English text but I would rather have the Chinese to let the story better soaked in. And up to now, the official solution is 'Due to the lack of research before purchasing, you have to deal with it and purchase another copy from HongKong '. No thanks, I think I conducted more than enough homework before I purchase the game. So stop implying that your heartbroken customers are a bunch of reckless guys who bought you game at random and complain about it consistently. Since the opened games are not refundable (even on the same day), I guess you win. There are more people like me bought the game for the Chinese language in North America and found it disabled later with a 'kindness update'. I wish you not feeling bad about those additional sold copies. You earned it hardly, by the act of betrayal. Good Job!

To the best of our knowledge, there will be no changes to the regional availability of languages. As has been stated, this is not something that CDPR can simply dictate. This is something that is affected by a wide array of concerns between companies and countries.

Also, this is not a situation that affects only TW3 on Switch. This is something that affects a large number of games on various platforms. Please, be aware of these details when deciding to purchase any game.

Regional language availability is clearly listed here:

We are aware that the situation was not exactly clear at launch, but the information was quickly updated. Additional language packs have since been added as they could be. Aside from that, there is no guarantee that any additional languages will be made available in any regions.

'We are aware that the situation was not exactly clear at launch, but the information was quickly updated.' I strongly disagree with this.
If CDPR does not include Chinese in the original copy and tell its fans: hey we don't know whether Chinese will be supported in North America or not, but you can hope for that. You can call it 'not clear.' (or even 'honest').
But what CDPR did is, they include Chinese at the very beginning and keep it for a while, telling its fans: hey your language is supported, come on, buy it.
Then they remove the language after the customer bought the game. That is called fraud. With the same logic, you can just block the rest of the 50% content of the game by a game update at a certain point and tell the customer the previous version they purchase that let them play for the full game was a bug and CDPR had proudly fixed that for free! The customer can now buy a new copy in another region for the rest 50% of the game. (Note that this is exactly the case for those who played with Chinese halfway to the game and then have the Chinese removed by the update).

Last edited:
Agreed. People did the research and were mislead.
You refuse to update the game, even to restore a feature that people bought it for and was then removed. This is not people complaining they don't get cosmetic dlc available elsewhere. The game is not playable for me as I was shown and told it would be when I bought it.

You don't care to fix this.
So refund my purchase.

I bought european collectible edition of Witcher 3 for Switch and I can't install any language pack for it - all language pack asks me to by digital edition of game even when cartridge is inserted. If it try to go to game page through cartridge menu, I got an error that this game is not exists in eShop.

Can't you replace my cartridge by version that supports language packs?

I tried to select different countries in eShop but nothing helped. Game downloads patches (and version number differs from digital edition) but can't apply to itself any downloaded language pack.

> So refund my purchase.
I want it too. Or replacement by cartridge with russian language pack installed.

Last edited:
Can't you replace my cartridge by version that supports language packs?

Only the store where you bought it from can replace a product under certain circumstances.
Asking for a replacement here won't help you much.

And once again, here's the overview of the regions and the available languages:

Top Bottom