[Official Problem] Language Subtitle Packs are incorrect for several users for The Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch

+
The response to my inquiry about whether or not the standalone version includes Chinese language subtitles:

"Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response. After releases we receive more inquiries than usual and the workload of our embedded technical support team grows proportionally.

I'm afraid it doesn't support it.

Kind regards,
John"

As the game DOES include Chinese language subtitles (my inquiry was before I had the game installed) I am left confused by this response.
What did he check, the eshop listing?

I just want to know the languages it has won't be removed with DLC or updates.
That sounds like something you shouldn't have to worry about, but it has already happened with this game where language support was removed.

I believe tech support may simply have misunderstood your request. What do you mean by "standalone" version? I would interpret that to mean the version players can purchase on an SD card in a physical store. "Non-standalone", on the other hand, would mean the downloadable version that includes other DLC content.

Another interpretation could be the base game without the DLC included. That package may not include the Chinese subtitles and would require a separate download.

Not sure, but that would be my best guess. Just miscommunication.

I said the standalone version here as I'd just read it referred to that elsewhere.
I believe in my query I specified the newly released Base Game version for Nintendo Switch, specifically in Australia. I was trying to be as exact as possible.
When I pointed out it already includes the Chinese language subtitles after he said it was not supported, I got this resposne:

"Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

So it depends on the version.

The Complete Edition and the Base game support different languages. It's possible for a given language to be available for the one version and not the other on a given region.

Kind regards,
John"

It's frustrating as he genuinely seems to know less about it than I do. From what I have seen the Base Game version for Switch is identical worldwide, but states different information in each eShop.

I want to know that no updates or DLC will remove these subtitles that are included at present. It seems impossible to get this clarity though, so I just have to hope it's not removed.

(I did just write back politely to clarify though, in case the details were lost)

Last edited:
I said the standalone version here as I'd just read it referred to that elsewhere.
I believe in my query I specified the newly released Base Game version for Nintendo Switch, specifically in Australia. I was trying to be as exact as possible.
When I pointed out it already includes the Chinese language subtitles after he said it was not supported, I got this resposne:

"Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

So it depends on the version.

The Complete Edition and the Base game support different languages. It's possible for a given language to be available for the one version and not the other on a given region.

Kind regards,
John"

It's frustrating as he genuinely seems to know less about it than I do. From what I have seen the Base Game version for Switch is identical worldwide, but states different information in each eShop.

I want to know that no updates or DLC will remove these subtitles that are included at present. It seems impossible to get this clarity though, so I just have to hope it's not removed.

(I did just write back politely to clarify though, in case the details were lost)

His response is 100% accurate. The different, regional versions of the game all have different included language and VO packs. It depends on where you buy which version of the game you purchased. There used to be a detailed list of the packs available by region on the Support pages, but now it's gone again. It could be that changes are being made. Hopefully, more languages are being included in more regions. For now, you can refer to this as a general idea but this is not the official list. This seems to be a copy of the older publication:

I have no idea what happened to the actual list as was published on Support.

In your quoted response, John is clearly differentiating between "Base Game" and "Complete Edition". Hence:
  • Base Game = just the main quest of TW3.
  • Individual DLC = 16 Free DLC, individual downloads; Hearts of Stone, individual download; and/or Blood and Wine, individual download.
  • Complete Edition = The base game + Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine + 16 Free DLC as one, complete purchase and download.
The languages included by region for each of the above are not the same. Some may require you to specifically download your desired packs. Some include additional packs not available to other versions. Some packs are not available in certain regions, period.

The key question still stands: which of the above did you purchase? I don't understand what you mean by "the newly released Base Game version for Nintendo Switch".

Also, another possibility is that you purchased a different regional version, meaning other than the "Australian" version. This can happen if you purchased from non-standard shops or online. Even if purchased from big chains, sometimes stock gets mislabeled or shipped to the wrong areas.

According to all information we have, the AU version does not include Chinese. If you have it, then you have some other version (non-AU), or CDPR has added additional language packs. Either one is possible.

His response is 100% accurate. The different, regional versions of the game all have different included language and VO packs. It depends on where you buy which version of the game you purchased. There used to be a detailed list of the packs available by region on the Support pages, but now it's gone again. It could be that changes are being made. Hopefully, more languages are being included in more regions. For now, you can refer to this as a general idea but this is not the official list. This seems to be a copy of the older publication:
The languages included by region for each of the above are not the same. Some may require you to specifically download your desired packs. Some include additional packs not available to other versions. Some packs are not available in certain regions, period.

The key question still stands: which of the above did you purchase? I don't understand what you mean by "the newly released Base Game version for Nintendo Switch".
This is the problem. You and he both have less information than I do.

You don't know what I mean by newly released Base Game for Nintendo Switch? The non Complete Edition was released on Nintendo Switch for the first time on 28/Jan/2021 in the eShop for download. The language options do not match the previously available Complete Edition.

The only information I've seen available for what language support this includes is in the eShop. The languages it lists there are not complete, as when downloaded it includes more than stated. It includes Chinese subtitles, as I have said. That is from the Australian eShop, as it's the only one I use. It's where I downloaded the game from. In communicating with other users worldwide, other country eShops state different languages that are included, but when downloaded they include the same languages worldwide (more options than listed in any eShop). This was downloaded upon release without updates or language packs. This info isn't stated or available anywhere, which is why I've sought clarity or official word on it.

As it is not stated that these languages are included, I fear they could be removed at any time with updates, as happened previously with the Complete Edition.

The best I have is the last reply I received when questioning this possibility:

"Hi,

I'm unaware of plans to remove the language pack in the future :)

Hope that clarifies it.

Kind regards,
John"

Which is great, but not quite a guarantee. Again, this was no "language pack" but a subtitle option included with the initial 28/Jan/2021 release.

Last edited:
This is the problem. You and he both have less information than I do.

You don't know what I mean by newly released Base Game for Nintendo Switch? The non Complete Edition was released on Nintendo Switch for the first time on 28/Jan/2021 in the eShop for download. The language options do not match the previously available Complete Edition.

The only information I've seen available for what language support this includes is in the eShop. The languages it lists there are not complete, as when downloaded it includes more than stated. It includes Chinese subtitles, as I have said. That is from the Australian eShop, as it's the only one I use. It's where I downloaded the game from. In communicating with other users worldwide, other country eShops state different languages that are included, but when downloaded they include the same languages worldwide (more options than listed in any eShop). This was downloaded upon release without updates or language packs. This info isn't stated or available anywhere, which is why I've sought clarity or official word on it.

As it is not stated that these languages are included, I fear they could be removed at any time with updates, as happened previously with the Complete Edition.

The best I have is the last reply I received when questioning this possibility:

"Hi,

I'm unaware of plans to remove the language pack in the future :)

Hope that clarifies it.

Kind regards,
John"

Which is great, but not quite a guarantee. Again, this was no "language pack" but a subtitle option included with the initial 28/Jan/2021 release.

We all have the same information. You are still not clarifying what version of the game you purchased. I've indicated 3 versions of the game above. Which one was it? Your statement of "newly released Base Game version" doesn't mean anything that I or apparently John follows. There has been no "new release" of the base game. The "Base Game" has been the same since it was originally released on the Switch. The newer release was the Complete Edition -- not the "Base Game".

So, again, which of the following did you purchase?

Version 1.
I purchased the standalone version of TW3. I do not have the standalone 16 Free DLC, Hearts of Stone, or Blood and Wine. (This is a unique product with language pack support that may not match version 2 or version 3.)

Version 2.
I purchased the standalone version of TW3. I also purchased and installed the standalone 16 Free DLC, Hearts of Stone, and/or Blood and Wine. (This is a unique product with language pack support that may not match version 1 or version 3.)

Version 3.
I purchased the Complete Edition, including TW3, 16 Free DLC, Hearts of Stone, and Blood and Wine together, at the time of the purchase. They all installed at the same time. I did not need to purchase or download anything separately. (This is a unique product with language pack support that may not match version 1 or version 2.)

Please identify whether you purchased and installed version 1, version 2, or version 3. That will help to identify which regional version of the game you likely have. Then, it's process of elimination. If you have a clearly different regional version (not Australian) the language packs will line up and you can be, like, "Oh -- I actually have the EU version!" for example. If we can confirm it's definitely the AU version, then it's likely that the Chinese language pack was added.

I highly doubt that they'll suddenly stop supporting a language once it's included. Even if support is discontinued for whatever reason, the data for the Chinese language is not going to magically disappear off your SD card or your Switch.

You say you have the same info, then demonstrate that you do not.

I told you what I downloaded. The Base Game in the Australian eShop, that was released for the first time 28/Jan/2021. This is when the Base Game was released on Nintendo Switch worldwide (perhaps within a couple of days). It was not available before then in any region. So yes, while the Base Game has been the same since it was released, it was released this year and I referred to it as new.
I have added no DLC yet, as I feared it could remove language options if they weren't made available in the DLC. (I guess that's your "Version 1" if it helps you, though you don't seem to know when it was released)

The Complete Edition has been available since 15/Oct/1999. It is going to be removed from the eShop, so the only version remaining will be the Base Game with all DLC available separately, or as a bundle.
If you purchased the Complete Edition previously, you can download the Base Game and DLC packs for free if you wish.
The Complete Edition contained limited language options, and varied by region.

While the info is not listed in the eShop, the Base Game includes Chinese subtitles. It also includes Arabic, Portuguese, Czech, German, Polish, Spanish, French, English, Hungarian, Korean, and Russian. From communicating with other users in different regions, the Base Game on Nintendo Switch contains these subtitles worldwide.

Instead of looking at what it's supposed to include, listen. That is what it does include with no language packs added.

As for highly doubting that they'll suddenly stop supporting a language once it's included, have you read this thread? That is literally what has happened in the past with updates to the Complete Edition, and is why I am concerned about it now.

You say you have the same info, then demonstrate that you do not.

I told you what I downloaded. The Base Game in the Australian eShop, that was released for the first time 28/Jan/2021. This is when the Base Game was released on Nintendo Switch worldwide (perhaps within a couple of days). It was not available before then in any region. So yes, while the Base Game has been the same since it was released, it was released this year and I referred to it as new.
I have added no DLC yet, as I feared it could remove language options if they weren't made available in the DLC. (I guess that's your "Version 1" if it helps you, though you don't seem to know when it was released)

The Complete Edition has been available since 15/Oct/1999. It is going to be removed from the eShop, so the only version remaining will be the Base Game with all DLC available separately, or as a bundle.
If you purchased the Complete Edition previously, you can download the Base Game and DLC packs for free if you wish.
The Complete Edition contained limited language options, and varied by region.

While the info is not listed in the eShop, the Base Game includes Chinese subtitles. It also includes Arabic, Portuguese, Czech, German, Polish, Spanish, French, English, Hungarian, Korean, and Russian. From communicating with other users in different regions, the Base Game on Nintendo Switch contains these subtitles worldwide.

Instead of looking at what it's supposed to include, listen. That is what it does include with no language packs added.

As for highly doubting that they'll suddenly stop supporting a language once it's included, have you read this thread? That is literally what has happened in the past with updates to the Complete Edition, and is why I am concerned about it now.

My apologies for one detail I did confuse -- the Complete Edition was the original release, and the "Standalone" versions were the more recent options which came out this year. That was kind of a backwards way to release the game, but I think that I at least understand what you mean by "Base Game" now.

I'm still not sure where the overall confusion here lies, nor even what the issue is. Firstly, this is a support thread for The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt on Nintendo Switch -- are you referring to The Witcher 1 or The Witcher 2, perhaps? If you are referring to TW3, how are you under the impression that the Complete Edition was released on 15 Oct., 1999? TW3 did not originally release until 2015, and the Switch version did not release until nearly 3 full years later.

You still, however, seem to be misunderstanding how language availability works. I'll try to explain once more, then I'll simply refer you back to Official Support if you have any further questions:

The (A) Complete Edition, the (B) Standalone Version of TW3, and the (C) Standalone version of TW3 with HoS and/or B&W are not the same. For reasons of differentiation on each marketplace, each option is considered a different product. Language support is not identical between each of the 3 products, even though the data for each package is inherently the same game.
  • Buying the Complete Edition is a unique package that includes TW3, HoS, and B&W. This occurred in Oct. of 2019. Buying this version is NOT the same and does NOT include the same support for languages as purchasing the "Standalone" versions. Language support depends on which regional version of "The Compete Edition" you've purchased.
  • Later, the option was included to purchase the "Standalone" version of ONLY The Witcher 3, not including HoS or B&W. It was released this year, in 2021. This is a unique package. Language support for this version is not only different region by region, but language packages may differ from "The Complete Edition" even in the same region.
  • Furthermore, purchasing HoS and B&W separately (NOT as a single package included in The Complete Edition), is also a unique package. Not only will this offer language packages that differ by region, but they may also modify which languages are available in the standalone game as well, region by region. (I know many people have been thrown by this on other platforms. Normally, purchasing the standalone DLC adds which languages are included, mainly subtitles. In a few cases, it seemed that they disabled certain languages, and I'm not sure why that happened. I think those issues have now been rectified.)
  • Lastly, language availability by product and region may differ from platform to platform. Thus, the same "Complete Edition" purchased in the AU region on Xbox may not necessarily include the same language options as the PS4 version of the Complete Edition in the AU region.
Thus, if you purchased an AU version of the Complete Edition, your language packs may be different than if you purchased the AU version of the Standalone game. If you then purchase the AU regional version of B&W without HoS, your language packs may be different than either the AU Complete Edition or the AU Standalone version. Buy HoS, and the packs may change again. (Mostly, it's pretty universal, but there have been weird discrepencies here and there.)

Hence, in order to answer the question you've asked, "Are Chinese subtitles included?" I must know ALL of the following:
  1. What region are you in?
  2. What regional version did you purchase?
  3. Which platform did you purchase on?
  4. Which version of the game did you purchase on that platform?
If I do not have ALL of that information, then it is impossible for me to say whether you should or should not have Chinese subtitles.

In the end though, if you have the Chinese language now, I don't see why it would suddenly not be available tomorrow. (Regardless of what you read online, or if the information is not available, you either have what you're looking for or not. The only official information about language availability is here on CDPR's official sites. Other information is not official and should be taken with a grain of salt. Since information was available and is now removed, one can deduce that there have been changes, and those changes will likely be reflected when the information is posted again. But even without the regional lists on the support pages, one of the following must be true:

a.) The language pack is included in the AU version.
b.) The language pack was added to the AU version.
c.) You don't have the AU version.

I have told you what I purchased and where I am. Why you keep telling me I am wrong, I don't understand. I know where I am and what eShop I'm using. It would take quite a bit of effort for me to purchase from a different region, and is not something that could be done by accident. If my description to you says I don't have the AU version, then you don't have accurate information on your end. This is the AU eShop download (although as I've also said I believe this is irrelevant as it has been shown to have the same support worldwide.)
The only thing I typed wrong, was the date of Witcher 3 Complete Edition. It was 2019, not 1999, of course. 15/Oct/2019. My apologies.

This is a Nintendo Switch thread. Of course I'm talking about the Nintendo Switch version of The Witcher 3. That is only Witcher game on Switch, apart from Thronebreaker. I am not discussing Thronebreaker.

As I have said, the language support I want was and is included with the "Base Game" version initially. I've explained repeatedly what Base Game is, why I called it "new" and where it's from. I've also said this Base Game version has the same language support worldwide, despite what you're reading in release notes.
The release notes for the Australian eShop download that I have mentions 4 languages, but it actually includes many more. The release notes for this Base Game around the world mentions different languages, but it always includes more, always includes the same ones. Whether there is different additional language packs available in these regions, I don't know, as I haven't cared to look, and haven't added any. What I've stated is what it includes without any added.
Official information is not useful when it is inaccurate. This is why I reached out to them for more clarity.
Please take note of that. All your official release notes, telling me I don't understand how language support works, is ignoring what I have said.

THE OFFICIAL INFFORMATION IS INACCURATE AND INCOMPLETE.

Ultimately, my concern for initial discussion and query.
At the moment, the Base Game includes the language support I wanted. This is great. It was unavailable for the Complete Edition here.
I do want to add the DLC packs, Hearts of Stone, Blood & Wine, as well as the "16 Free DLCs".
I was concerned, and sought to clarify, that any updates to the game, or adding DLC, could remove the Chinese subtitle support. This would render the game unplayable for us.
Any other time, or with any other game, this possibility would not even occur to me. Yet in the past, with the Complete Edition, this is what happened. Languages that were supported with the Complete Edition disappeared when the game updated to Version 3.4, with no option or warning that this was going to happen. You can read about this at the beginning off this thread. It was never rectified.
As the Chinese subtitles are not listed as being included, an update could easily remove them, and it could be said they were never supposed to be there, they were never advertised as being there, and there is no responsibility to continue their support.

Incidentally, if anyone reading this has downloaded the standalone Base Game this year, and then added the DLC packs, what languages are you seeing supported now? Which region eShop did you download from? And what DLC have you added?

That is the only way to get answers, as the officially released information is not accurate.

I do want to add the DLC packs, Hearts of Stone, Blood & Wine, as well as the "16 Free DLCs".
You have the standalone TW3 without the DLC packs. This was the information I was trying to clarify. Thank you. "Base Game" doesn't mean anything to me. That could mean "the game originally released," which would be the Complete Edition. It could also mean "I purchased the standalone TW3, then installed the DLCs later." That's specifically why I asked you to clarify what you own.

If you want a final answer, we need to identify if there's actually any discrepancy. If you're not willing to directly answer the questions asked, then I can't help you.

When I say: Please identify Version 1, Version 2, or Version 3, and you continue answering "Base Game, like I said before," this does not answer the question. It leaves the situation in exactly the same place as it was before.

Next question: Can you confirm that you have the AU version of the game?

Just becuase you bought it on an Australian eShop does not mean that you have access only to the AU version.

If purchased through an online marketplace that is associated with an email address created in the AU, then it's almost guaranteed.

If, for example, you travel, and you opened your account in another country then moved to the AU, you may still be connected to that account unless it is specifically blocked in Australia. Thus you may not have the AU version. In some countries, there are several different regional versions available. You have an option of which regional version you'd like to buy at the time of purchase, and/or it requires you to specify a region on the marketplace's settings page for your account.

With this information, we can now double-check whether the Chinese language pack is supposed to be included. If we simply assume that you're using the AU version, that doesn't mean we know. Finding out you're not actually running the regional version of the game you thought you were can solve this mystery in 2 seconds flat.

I'm asking you to confirm the regional version.

I wouldn't recommend doing this until we figure out whether your regional version should or should not include the Chinese language pack based on the information we have.

I was concerned, and sought to clarify, that any updates to the game, or adding DLC, could remove the Chinese subtitle support. This would render the game unplayable for us.

I don't believe that this is an issue anymore. However, that does not mean that there isn't a new issue. Changes can happen. For lots of reasons.
Languages that were supported with the Complete Edition disappeared when the game updated to Version 3.4, with no option or warning that this was going to happen. You can read about this at the beginning off this thread. It was never rectified.

I remember. I was there. And this has nothing to do with your situation because you don't own the Complete Edition. The standalone version of TW3 released on the Switch is different product with its own support.

Additionally, the very long list of language packs by regions, which used to be readily available on the Support page, is no longer there. This very likely means something has changed. I'm not sure. That's not my job. I would assume that it's for the better. Can't be certain though, because there's no official publication. Cannot give information that is not there.

In order to answer your question, I need all of the information I'm asking for. Then, I can figure out what you should have, what you do have, and confirm there is a conflict. You believing that there is a conflict because of your own understanding is not the same thing as confirming there is a conflict based on the actual situation.

If you think you have more information, then I don't see why you need any help from people here. You can continue discussing it with CDPR Support.

Yes, I have the standalone Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch with no DLC.
Now you say "standalone", but when I used it initially you wanted me to clarify what it meant. Instead, I used the term "base game", which is what CDPR calls it, and you still want me to clarify. Why does that mean nothing to you? It's what they call it. What am I supposed to call it then?
I said numerous times what edition of the game I'm talking about and that I have no DLCs. I said the one released this year, not the Complete Edition.

I have answered every question, most of them numerous times and before you have asked them.

I have already told you the discrepancy between available information, and what is actually included.

And I even said your "Version 1" if that helps you. Those are your definitions. I already described it in more detail, and with CDPR's own descriptor.

I have the Australian eShop version. I've said this numerous times. Do you have a Switch? Mine is not connected to any other eShop. It would take time and effort to get the game from a different region and I have not done so.

You wouldn't recommend adding the DLCs. I agree, and this is why I haven't, and is why I've been looking for more information, either official, which I did not receive when I contacted support, or here from other users who have added DLC.

I don't believe losing languages is an issue anymore either, and was only seeking to verify this. A simple, "no, all those languages are now supported with this base game version and DLCs and will remain so" would be extremely helpful from CDPR support. But no such response.
That's really the only thing I was after.

I used the Complete Edition losing languages as an example, as this is the same company, and version of the same game. So without reassurance, I don't know that can't happen again. It was crazy that it happened at all. Please someone official tell me it won't happen again.
I don't think that has nothing to do with what I'm asking. It's a pretty relevant example and worry to me.

The very long list of language packs by regions was removed from the support page when this base game and separate DLC packs was released, as that info was for the Complete Edition which is to be removed from the eShop, and could perhaps cause more confusion with Complete and base editions available. I assumed it would be updated for the base game and DLC packs, but still has not.

This is also what led me to think the languages on the base game may be the same worldwide, which was corroborated by people in other regions stating what languages their downloads included. Of course that is not official or comprehensive, but would solve a lot of the complaints that came up with the Complete Edition if they are identical worldwide.

And again, if anyone is reading this and wants to contribute their region, DLC, and language support they have, that'd be great.

I don't know or believe I have a conflict.
I know what I have, as I've stated numerous times, and fear there could become a conflict with DLC and updates. I sought to clarify, and have found there is no clarity available, either from you or CDPR.

A little more information from them would go such a long way.

I can't help you then. According to what you've said, you've received a language pack that you didn't even think was going to be included with the game when you purchased it. If it's vital to your ability to play the game...why would you buy the game specifically knowing that it was not included?

Now, it's there. Hooray! And you're worried that it might suddenly be removed because of a single issue that occurred nearly 2 years ago with a product you don't own. There are no guarantees in life. It very well could happen again. Or Australia could suddenly ban TW3, and you wouldn't be able to play because of that. Or your Switch could fall down a drainpipe and you wouldn't be able to play because of that. Anything can happen at any time, truthfully. We can spend all of our time worrying about things we can't control...or we just get on with it and accept the lumps with the good. There will be both.

A simple, "no, all those languages are now supported with this base game version and DLCs and will remain so" would be extremely helpful from CDPR support. But no such response.
That's really the only thing I was after.
I doubt the language will be removed. You're looking for some guarantee, but it's not available at the moment. You'll need to wait for the information to be posted again, just like everyone else. No other way that we can officially confirm something before it has been officially announced.

Let me add here that I think the way languages work is kind of nuts. Very hard to follow, incredibly hard to keep track of when changes are made, and I do hope that nations of the world come up with a more sensible method soon. Fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting any miracles. International trade, especially international legality, is a very complex machine. There is no such thing as, "Just do it this way!"

Again, the info is not there at the moment. I suggest waiting until it reappears.

"Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response. After releases we receive more inquiries than usual and the workload of our embedded technical support team grows proportionally.

I'm afraid it doesn't support it.

Kind regards,
John"

As the game DOES include Chinese language subtitles (my inquiry was before I had the game installed) I am left confused by this response.
What did he check, the eshop listing?
This is the crux of your issue. He answered your question. There is also this:

Australia, New Zealand
Text: English/French/Italian/German/Spanish/Polish
VO: English/French/German/Polish
Print:English

As well as the regional versions that are supposed to include Chinese:
Taiwan, Hong Kong
Text: English/Traditional Chinese/Korean
VO: English
Print: English

Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines
Print: English/Traditional Chinese

South Korea
Print: English/Korean
I've answered your question.

This the information we have.

You're insisting you have the Chinese language pack on the AU version.

Alright...there's a discrepancy.

I have asked you specific questions to try to highlight where it may lie. You are refusing to answer the questions. It took numerous posts to clarify what your meant by "Base Game". You still have not provided evidence that confirms that you're using the AU version. You simply think you are because you bought it while in the AU. Well...how can we be sure?

Instead, you're responding that there should be an answer. But there isn't, at the moment. And you don't seem to be willing to cooperate with the steps that will be needed to find an answer because you simply know things and won't confirm it. That's all we can do, then. There's nowhere else to go. This is where things lie:

Either
a.) The language has been added to the AU region.
-or-
b.) You're not using the AU regional version, even though you think you are.

There's nothing more I can offer you. I recommend you contact CDPR Support for clarification. You can also contact Nintendo and ask if the language was added to the AU region. Although, I doubt you'll get an answer until any changes have been officially announced.

If you think there's a problem, you'll still need to confirm where it lies before anything can be done about it. You simply insisting that it's "this way, not that way" is not enough to confirm that such is true, how it happened, or what can be done to fix it. Correlation is not causation.

I'll wish you the best, but I'll leave it here for my part. Personally, I don't think there's any worry. My guess is that CDPR has probably found a way to consolidate the language packs a better way, and Chinese was probably added to the AU region. You'll need to wait for official info to confirm.

Last edited:
I can't help you then. According to what you've said, you've received a language pack that you didn't even think was going to be included with the game when you purchased it. If it's vital to your ability to play the game...why would you buy the game specifically knowing that it was not included?

Now, it's there. Hooray!
I've said this whole time that you can't help me, but you kept asking for more clarification. I was really just writing with the response I received from support, in case anyone else ever looks at this board with similar questions. I was also perhaps hoping others would join in a discussion.

Why did I buy it? Not really relevant to what I have and my question.
I bought the Complete Edition when it was advertised to include everything available on other platforms. I mistakenly thought language support was included. It was included in other regions. We could not play it. I sought a refund as I felt mislead, and received no help there.
Finally, the base game version was released, and free to download for those who had purchased the Complete Edition. I tried to find out what languages it supported, as I saw discrepancies in what is stated in the eShop and what people online were saying. I believed Chinese subtitles would be included in the version in the Australian eShop, as from what people were saying around the world it sounded like the subtitles included was the same worldwide. And it was free as I had purchased the Complete Edition in the past, so I downloaded the newly released Base Game version.
So when I downloaded the base game I did believe the subtitles would be included, but was not 100% sure until seeing it. It was great joy and relief when I found I was right and the subtitles were included.
A game I purchased several years ago was now playable. Hooray is right.
And you're worried that it might suddenly be removed because of a single issue that occurred nearly 2 years ago with a product you don't own. There are no guarantees in life. It very well could happen again. Or Australia could suddenly ban TW3, and you wouldn't be able to play because of that. Or your Switch could fall down a drainpipe and you wouldn't be able to play because of that. Anything can happen at any time, truthfully. We can spend all of our time worrying about things we can't control...or we just get on with it and accept the lumps with the good. There will be both.
I doubt the language will be removed. You're looking for some guarantee, but it's not available at the moment. You'll need to wait for the information to be posted again, just like everyone else. No other way that we can officially confirm something before it has been officially announced.
I doubt they will be removed too, but it's not out of the question, so I asked support. So yes, I'm worried they will be removed if I add the free DLC I'm entitled to (Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine are also free if you purchased the Complete Edition previously) or simply through another update.
As the languages aren't listed in the eShop, who's to say they will be prioritized with updates, or won't be removed without a care as happened before? I'm worried enough to simply ask support. I haven't received a solid answer, as they won't commit to saying it'll stay.
They could acknowledge it was a mistake with the Complete Edition (a game I do still own but have deleted from my Switch) and won't happen again, but they don't say this.

That is all I've done and said about it. It was more of a discussion several here several months ago. That is when I contacted support, and just this past week received a response, which I posted here.

There are no guarantees in life. That is why I asked support for clarification.
As you say, after assuring me how unlikely it is, it could very well happen again. This is why I asked support.
Australia could ban the game, but that wouldn't remove it from my Switch.
I would replace my Switch if it fell down a drainpipe and couldn't be recovered. My eShop purchases would be restored.
Yes, we can spend all our time worrying, or we can ask support.

This is not endless nagging I've been doing now. I contacted support with a question, posted their response here.
You have been questioning me repeatedly about it.

I doubt the languages will be removed too. I just asked support for clarity to be sure. Yes, there is no guarantee available at the moment. I've said this all along. That was why I asked them, and that was the response I posted.
Let me add here that I think the way languages work is kind of nuts. Very hard to follow, incredibly hard to keep track of when changes are made, and I do hope that nations of the world come up with a more sensible method soon. Fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting any miracles. International trade, especially international legality, is a very complex machine. There is no such thing as, "Just do it this way!"
The languages with the Complete Edition were indeed nuts. This is why I suspected, and still do, that the base game version has the same support worldwide. What additional language packs they add or have already added as DLC, I don't know.
This is the crux of your issue. He answered your question.
Yes, he answered my question incorrectly. As I've stated, those subtitles are included.
There is also this:

As well as the regional versions that are supposed to include Chinese:

This the information we have.
Yes, the information you have is incomplete. There are more subtitles languages supported in the base game than stated in any official information. This is what I've said here to inform people, and asked about with support.
You're insisting you have the Chinese language pack on the AU version.
I am.
Alright...there's a discrepancy.
Yes, this is the discrepancy I've been pointing out.
I have asked you specific questions to try to highlight where it may lie. You are refusing to answer the questions.
I don't believe I've refused to answer any questions.
It took numerous posts to clarify what your meant by "Base Game". You still have not provided evidence that confirms that you're using the AU version. You simply think you are because you bought it while in the AU. Well...how can we be sure?
What I meant by "Base Game" is what CDPR means when they call it that in the release statements for it on this site and forum. I've overexplained repeatedly, but using their terminology should be enough.
Why do I have to provide evidence that I have the AU version? What evidence could I provide?
This is a Nintendo Switch, not a PC. I didn't simply buy it "while in the AU." That is the eShop my Switch is registered to. You cannot purchase from another region without altering that, which I have not done.
How can you be sure? I'm not here to convince you of anything. I've simply stated my experience. And that is how a Nintendo Switch works.
Instead, you're responding that there should be an answer. But there isn't, at the moment. And you don't seem to be willing to cooperate with the steps that will be needed to find an answer because you simply know things and won't confirm it.
Of course there should be an answer. From CDPR support, not from you. I don't know how more cooperative I could be. All I've done is state what I have, what I asked, and what responses I got.
That's all we can do, then. There's nowhere else to go. This is where things lie:

Either
a.) The language has been added to the AU region.
-or-
b.) You're not using the AU regional version, even though you think you are.
I know there's nowhere else to go. I don't expect you can help with this issue. I contacted support and posted their response here for anyone interested.
a.) If the language has been added to the AU region, that was done before launch, as it's always been included with the base game, with no DLC packs added.
b.) I am using the AU regional version.
There's nothing more I can offer you. I recommend you contact CDPR Support for clarification. You can also contact Nintendo and ask if the language was added to the AU region. Although, I doubt you'll get an answer until any changes have been officially announced.
I agree. I contacted them. I posted their response. I have contacted them again.
I have no interest in asking Nintendo if the language was added to the AU region. I expect they would say that's on CDPR, but I know the language is included anyway. My question would be if it's here to stay with all updates and DLC.
If you think there's a problem, you'll still need to confirm where it lies before anything can be done about it. You simply insisting that it's "this way, not that way" is not enough to confirm that such is true, how it happened, or what can be done to fix it. Correlation is not causation.
I don't think there's a problem. I had a simple question about language support that I asked CDPR support.
I'm not sure what I'm claiming is "this way, not that way" that needs fixing.
Correlation of what is not causation of what?
It currently has the language support I wanted. I'm thrilled by this. I asked them if it'll be supported in the DLC as it's not listed.
I really don't know what you're talking about here.
I'll wish you the best, but I'll leave it here for my part. Personally, I don't think there's any worry. My guess is that CDPR has probably found a way to consolidate the language packs a better way, and Chinese was probably added to the AU region. You'll need to wait for official info to confirm.
I really don't think there's much worry either. I just asked CDPR support to clarify it. I thought it was a pretty simple query.
That's basically my assumption, that the base game is uniform across regions, all coming with the same subtitles. There may be more language DLC packs for audio or additional subtitles. I don't know. I hope they're able to keep availability of them the same worldwide this time.

To add new information, I contacted them again to try and be more specific. This is what I wrote:

"I have the base game Witcher 3 from the Australian eShop, Nintendo Switch.
Upon download it contains more subtitle options than stated in the eShop description. It contains:
Arabic, Portuguese, Chinese (simplified), Czech, German, English, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Korean, Polish, Russian, Chinese.

This is great!

Will any of these be lost if I add the DLC packs, Hearts of Stone, Blood & Wine, and the "16 Free DLCs" ?

Thank you.

And will more details be added about what languages ARE included, as I've seen confusion online about this."

As I was typing the above I received the response:

"No, they will not disappear after downloading the additional content.

Kind regards,
John
"

So while I don't think anyone else was worried about this, I wanted clarification, and that seems to be it.
No comment on updating the details on what languages are included though.

Ok guys, as the page showing languages support for each region seems to be deleted. I suggest each one writing the available languages in his region.

So now we know that the available languages for:

• Australian eShop :

Chinese, Arabic, Portuguese, Czech, German, Polish, Spanish, French, English, Hungarian, Korean, and Russian.

And I have:

• UK eShop:

Arabic, Portuguese (Brazil), Chinese (simplified), Czech, German, English, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian, Chinese.
Post automatically merged:

I mean the languages within the game itself, not the eShop list (the eShop list is not showing all the languages available for the game).

Last edited:
Top Bottom