[Official Problem] Language Subtitle Packs are incorrect for several users for The Witcher 3 for Nintendo Switch

+
this is not fair. We're not having shop in turkey. Nobody tells us before buying the game from these countries. We think it will be a Turkish language option only when we buy it from Europe. Turkish language option was not available in the game I bought from the Norwegian shop. I hated the game or the switch because I couldn't play the game in Turkish. my English is not good. Thanks to google translate, I can express my feelings. In the game, I don't understand anything in English. Thank you CD PROJECT RED. I hate you.

Is anyone else having problems with a language pack applying after downloading it? I'm playing on switch with game card?
Thanks

So, guys again for those who have problems with language packs downloading as a separate icon:

1. Go to this site:
https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...itch/sp-technical/issue/1177/language-support
to check which version of the game you have (you'll find the region code on the back of the box; don't assume just because u live somewhere that u neccessarily have the game from that region - I live in the Netherlands and they sold my GF a version for the Oceania/Indonesia/Israel/Bulgaria region; it seems random copies of the game are thrown into random markets and this probably causes all this mess)

2. after you've checked which region your game belongs to, login to your Nintendo Account on a PC and in your profile change the country to the one corresponding to the games country (ie. Bulgarian game => Bulgarian Nintendo Account).

3. RESTART YOUR CONSOLE after changing the accounts country - FULL RESTART cycle, do not put your Switch to sleep and wake up again. Hold down Switch power button on top till you get to the Power Off options and select RESTART from there (this is a necessary step).

4. Go to Eshop on your Switch (by this point it should ask you to login to your Nintendo Account) and after logging in download the language pack you want. If everything went right the download progress bar should appear on the icon of your game (so there should be just ONE Witcher 3 icon - the one of your game cartridge).

After the pack is downloaded, start the game change the language and make sure it works as intended. Afterwards you can change your Nintendo Account back to your original region. The language pack will remain intact and working.

Step 1. is highly important!!! The games region has to match your Nintendo Account region. Check your games region in the link above.

BE WARNED!!! Changing your Nintendo Account country will delete your GOLD COINS from Eshop!!!

THIS WORKS ONLY WITH PHYSICAL GAME COPIES!!! CARTRIDGE ONLY!!! Digital games are tied to the region they've been bought in and changing the region afterwards will not resolve this.

PS. to MODERATOR/ADMIN this kind of info should be pinned somewhere IMO, since as it is now, the situation is highly confusing and it's absolutely not the consumers fault.

Last edited:
I live in US but would really appreciate the availability of Chinese subtitle to fully enjoy th game! It used be be available until recent update. Now without Chinese subtitle, I hate to do so bu really considering selling off the game. Please make a language pack available in US Eshop in the future release! Thanks so much in advance!

I live in US but would really appreciate the availability of Chinese subtitle to fully enjoy th game! It used be be available until recent update. Now without Chinese subtitle, I hate to do so bu really considering selling off the game. Please make a language pack available in US Eshop in the future release! Thanks so much in advance!

I don't have the Switch version myself, so I can't say much about it. On PS4, sometimes changing the region apparently works. I don't know if it's the same with the physical version of TW3 Switch.

An overview of the available languages per region can be found here:

Other than that, you can only try to reach out to CDPR support, for example, using this form:

I don't have the Switch version myself, so I can't say much about it. On PS4, sometimes changing the region apparently works. I don't know if it's the same with the physical version of TW3 Switch.

An overview of the available languages per region can be found here:

Other than that, you can only try to reach out to CDPR support, for example, using this form:

thanks for your suggestion but changing the console region didn’t help. What’s mind-boggling is Chinese subtitle was there till 3.2, but was “removed since 3.4 update”.... why it can’t be offered as dlc fromUS eshop?
I’ve emailed CDPR about this request and finger crossed....

An absurd thing happening to me is that there is no Chinese language pack as DLC in the latest update for (switch version) Witcher 3 in nintendo of america, and I have heard that for Cartridge with patch 1.6 in the game, you will get Chinese language package removed if you update it to the latest patch 3.6. This is completely absurd and cannot be tolerating since I have to keep it in the old version in order to use Chinese.

So I am seriously curious in knowing why you do this to your customers like us living in the US but playing games in Chinese. Isn't this land called the United States that has all kinds of immigrants from the countries all over the world? Even though this is not a big problem to read English still this is not our mother tongue. I have read the thread in your forum that in a collection of 15 pages of discussion on this topic of languages DLC, and you may find it no difficult to imagine how envy I was when I found out the latest 3.6 patch includes languages package for some languages like Italian, Spanish and so on but no Chinese, not even to mention Chinese voice pack, which I don't want to argue at all.

Like many other games I have bought, they have no problem to include Chinese as a language option in the game, and I believe this shouldn't cause any trouble either to our developers here technically, even a language free version of this game. I am in a sincere plead to you in including Chinese as an option in the game as any other languages to which you have done here in the US, in order to comfort your big fans who have bought your games several times in many different platforms. We have supported you wishing you do so in turn.

In order to play this game in Chinese I have to keep it in the old version without updating to 3.6! How ridiculous!

Really appreciate whatever effort you could do to our situation.

Hi, witcher 3 fan here. Purchased both Xbox and Nintendo Switch version.

My ask: Please make Chinese text available for American version of the game, at least offer a language pack in the Nintendo Switch store/Xbox store. There are > 3 million Chinese speakers in the US alone, and I feel Chinese players are way underrepresented. CDProject Red supports Polish, German, Russian, Italian in the American version of the game, and here are # of speakers for each of them in the US:

Polish: 660K
German: 1M
Russian: 900K
Italian: 700K
(all from Wikipedia)

none of them are more than 1/3 of the Chinese speaking population, yet they are all well-supported.

Witcher 3 is a great game only if the player can fully understand the conversation and remember the names of everything in the bestiary. Playing with a non-native language made me missed some important details(this is what happened to me when I first finished the game in English). As I'm planning for a second run I'd hope Chinese is supported.

Thanks!

So... I guess it's over, right? We've lost. No answers, no solutions... Nothing. I was hoping playing it on my native language, portuguese, but, the CDPR and Saber don't give a fuck for the players. Players that bought the game, players that support the companies and the industry.... It is sad, my brothers, very sad...

Hey, folks! Make sure you're having a read here before purchasing if you're looking for a particular language:

If you're certain that you purchased from a particular region, and one of the language packs is missing, please contact CDPR Support directly.

I don't think there's anything more to be done about language availability per region at the moment. Again -- these are marketplace concerns -- it's not up to CDPR.

SigilFrey, I respect your answer, but I disegree. We saw that is easy to solve. Why CDPR put some languages for download on eShop? What about the other languages? We know the company already has this translations. Another point, in some countries, you don't have option to buy the cartridge of an especific region. It's easy to solve, just put the translations on Nintendo eShop.

I also have the same problem. I live in USA and bought the game on Americas region. Wanted to play it with my main language Turkish but it didnt have it yet. Then the patch 3.6 came out, they said they will fix the language problem so I waited and still there is no Turkish subtitles. Because its been so long I couldnt even refund the game. Also it is nearly impossible to refund a game you bought on Switch. I feel like I got completely scammed. On every other platform they have all the languages in every version of the game but not on Switch. I'm so mad right now, I don't even know what to do. I don't wanna change my region [...] to get my language. Minecraft, Fortnite, Stardew Valley... all has Turkish support on USA version but no Witcher 3. Why though? They ever explain why?

Do you want me to change region and pay extra 60 bucks to get a single subtitle pack, huh? What do you want us to do? I'm not playing this [...]. You [...] don't even explain why. "marketplace concerns " you say? [...] On every other platform you can buy the game more cheaper prices, I paid 60 bucks for a game that came out 5 years ago and I don't even get my [...] language packs. [...] You developed this game for years and suddenly it is too hard to add languages that already exist on other platforms? [...]
Post automatically merged:

Hey, folks! Make sure you're having a read here before purchasing if you're looking for a particular language:

If you're certain that you purchased from a particular region, and one of the language packs is missing, please contact CDPR Support directly.

I don't think there's anything more to be done about language availability per region at the moment. Again -- these are marketplace concerns -- it's not up to CDPR.

Saber Interactive or whatever just tell them to bring the languages as DLC packs. So everyone can play however they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded the only available language pack here, in Oceania, thinking it had all available subs. It does not, which was not made clear in the eshop download description. 2GB for nothing.
You don't think there's Chinese speakers in Australia? This whole thing is ridiculous.
How big a file would it be to include just a subs pack?

If it's not you guys that make the decision, you should be telling Nintendo people want these options available.

Downloaded the only available language pack here, in Oceania, thinking it had all available subs. It does not, which was not made clear in the eshop download description. 2GB for nothing.
You don't think there's Chinese speakers in Australia? This whole thing is ridiculous.
How big a file would it be to include just a subs pack?

If it's not you guys that make the decision, you should be telling Nintendo people want these options available.
I contacted to CDPR support and actual developers of the game, both said that there is nothing they can do. They didn't give me any game code that has my desired language in it, they suggested me to buy the game again on a different region which I think is a bad idea. Because I'm not gonna spend 120$ for a game that came out 5 years ago for a single subtitle pack. Nintendo actually never accept refund requests, so it is a dead end too. Now I'm stuck here waiting for a miracle to happen.

Also there is something very funny about this. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has every subtitles packs downloadable as DLCs and Witcher 3 doesn't. I don't know what to say or what to think about this situation. It is just complete disaster. I don't even know how CDPR ended up in this situation. 2nd biggest game company of Europe. But they can't handle a few megabytes of subtitles.

Last edited:
Yes. All I can say is that if it's not their decision they should be talking endlessly to the people who make the decision that these options need to be available to people who have purchased the game.
Post here who makes the decision so fans can contact them en masse to show the overwhelming need for the languages.

If someone's desired language or subtitles had never been produced, that would be one thing, but they're available elsewhere and not for everyone is absurd.

Tell Nintendo this is unacceptable.

Yes. All I can say is that if it's not their decision they should be talking endlessly to the people who make the decision that these options need to be available to people who have purchased the game.
Post here who makes the decision so fans can contact them en masse to show the overwhelming need for the languages.

If someone's desired language or subtitles had never been produced, that would be one thing, but they're available elsewhere and not for everyone is absurd.

Tell Nintendo this is unacceptable.
Absolutely, right? Also this game cost 60$ on eShop. On any other platform it's way more cheaper. We deserve to have our language support. This just don't make sense at all.

So it's been another week. What progress have you made?
You've been contacting Nintendo daily to say purchasers of the game want/need the language options available in their regions?
As optional DLC, all languages should be available to everyone.
I purchased the game for a friend, and we can't play it. We need the subs!

I like this game and I bought a physical card version ( switch )in North America, I really got bad gaming experience without Chinese subtitles, and text. Please update the Chinese language pack in eshop, I know you produced Chinese language pack but why you guys delete it after version 3.4 I spent 89 CAD for this, and now I can not even play it??? please update all the language pack that players need. Don't be such a rude company do not give a shit about players' requests, and their requests are reasonable !!!
If someone's desired language or subtitles had never been produced, that would be one thing, but they're available elsewhere and not for everyone is absurd! I am so upset about it right now, I really love this game, but I can not continue to play it without Chinese subtitle and text. I don't want to use the word "waste", but I did waste 89CAD for supporting CDPR, support the game I love. And not just me, there are so many people are waiting for their language pack!! I am so disappointed about what is happening now!!

please update different language pack including Chinese subtitle and text.....I am begging you .....

[Deleted double post - SigilFey]

Waiting for updating more language pack DLC on the switch eshop, day 1
I think this is commercial fraud, they r forcing us to buy this game twice because they believe we might really gonna buy it twice so they can get more profile from players, it's easy, just do not offer the language packs we want (in fact they can, but they just dont want to do it).

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
If I really going to buy this game twice ( spend 180 CAD) which came out 5 years ago, that's will be so stupid, I am not saying I can not offer 89CAD for a game, just because I don't want to waste my money like that. I know CDPR is a successful company, and I really appreciate they produce such a nice game and make it available on switch, but what is happening now makes me so feel so disappointed...

Waiting for updating more language pack DLC on the switch eshop, day 2

Last edited:
If I really going to buy this game twice ( spend 180 CAD) which came out 5 years ago, that's will be so stupid, I am not saying I can not offer 89CAD for a game, just because I don't want to waste my money like that. I know CDPR is a successful company, and I really appreciate they produce such a nice game and make it available on switch, but what is happening now makes me so feel so disappointed...

Waiting for updating more language pack DLC on the switch eshop, day 2

To the best of our knowledge, there will be no changes to the regional availability of languages. As has been stated, this is not something that CDPR can simply dictate. This is something that is affected by a wide array of concerns between companies and countries.

Also, this is not a situation that affects only TW3 on Switch. This is something that affects a large number of games on various platforms. Please, be aware of these details when deciding to purchase any game.

Regional language availability is clearly listed here:

We are aware that the situation was not exactly clear at launch, but the information was quickly updated. Additional language packs have since been added as they could be. Aside from that, there is no guarantee that any additional languages will be made avilable in any regions.

Top Bottom