Oh my god, I just figured out why they released it now

+
I've been defending this game on here and elsewhere, so this is a horrifying realization

They forced the release this year to get the sales on old consoles before they go obsolete..

Knowing that you really need a PC or next gen console to truly enjoy the game..

Man this makes me lose faith in humanity..

I've been defending this game on here and elsewhere, so this is a horrifying realization

They forced the release this year to get the sales on old consoles before they go obsolete..

Dont lose, humanity its more then a single game unfinished (but they ll finish it and CP ll get good in few time).

I thought it would be obvious by now that consoles had a huge part in all this mess. And I'm not even blaming CDPR for it, I hate Sony and the rest more for it.

The fact that they are now even refuse to refund and telling ppl to wait for patches...

I thought it would be obvious by now that consoles had a huge part in all this mess. And I'm not even blaming CDPR for it, I hate Sony and the rest more for it.
There are many games only released on PC because developer know consoles won't be able to handle them, "Total War Three Kingdoms" is a good example. It is CDPR's greed made them chew off more than they can bite. They could made this a PC only game, or only support PS5 and XB X|S on consoles. But they chose to include PS4 and XB1 because they know they could at least double their sales by doing that. It is all greed! :(

There are many games only released on PC because developer know consoles won't be able to handle them, "Total War Three Kingdoms" is a good example. It is CDPR's greed made them chew off more than they can bite. They could made this a PC only game, or only support PS5 and XB X|S on consoles. But they chose to include PS4 and XB1 because they know they could at least double their sales by doing that. It is all greed! :(
I know. I personally hate consoles because I do believe they just hinder the gaming industry. Now with PCs being so much more affordable, it can't even be said that they make gaming more accessable.

While I know CDPR are guilty for taking part in these practices, I will stay angrier at the companies that enable and encourage it.

CP2077 time line:
- The game was announced 7-8 years ago for Xbox and PS4. Coming: "When it's ready."

- There wasn't a single review of the game on consoles before it was released due to CDPR's choice that it be done this way. Not a single games journalist outside of a couple independent YouTubers called this into question. Games "journalists" were once more completely in the tank, along for the ride and complicit.

- There were articles (shown in above post) where CD Project Red stated the game runs "Surprisingly well on PS4/Xbox One."

- Game launch is an absolute disaster. CDPR touts massive sells on social media. Thanks gamers for the support.

- Today CDPR "apologizes" and says "We should have paid more attention to how the game runs on 'last gen consoles' after the current gen consoles have been 'available' for about a month if you can call pretty much not available being available.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paying attention is the most surefire way to see the cold, hard and ugly truth. CDPR is a CORP, I expect this behavior but as things are now, we're still allowed to be upset about it. I just hope they actually make it right.

I know. I personally hate consoles because I do believe they just hinder the gaming industry. Now with PCs being so much more affordable, it can't even be said that they make gaming more accessable.

While I know CDPR are guilty for taking part in these practices, I will stay angrier at the companies that enable and encourage it.
where do i start with this post, compared to 15 years ago, the tech gap between pc and console was huge.....it was a literal chasm, nowadays that gap is closing rapidly, console users choose consoles for ease of use, practicality and affordability, while pc's are better, they come with an expensive caveat, the goal posts are constantly moving as far as hardware and new game releases are concerned, but consoles are constant, you don't need to upgrade, the game will (mostly) run on a console, no drivers needed, no new gfx card, that's the trade off, but that gap between pc and consoles is getting smaller every year, soon, they will be equal.

I think the OP is correct. Imagine if they fixed all the bugs etc and all the time it took to do that. This game would have released next year, by which point the last generation consoles probably wouldn't even be purchasable at stores.

It was released at this time before the last generation consoles are phased out so they can increase sales etc. It's a genius tactic.

Also FYI, I'm hearing reports of people with PC rigs that are very comparable to last generation consoles, and they are having much less issues and the game looks better graphically. Hearing people playing on GTX 980s and having a great time playing this game. So there's no reason why the game can't run on last generation consoles. I mean they use HDDs so it will take a longer time loading, but should still run.
Post automatically merged:

where do i start with this post, compared to 15 years ago, the tech gap between pc and console was huge.....it was a literal chasm, nowadays that gap is closing rapidly, console users choose consoles for ease of use, practicality and affordability, while pc's are better, they come with an expensive caveat, the goal posts are constantly moving as far as hardware and new game releases are concerned, but consoles are constant, you don't need to upgrade, the game will (mostly) run on a console, no drivers needed, no new gfx card, that's the trade off, but that gap between pc and consoles is getting smaller every year, soon, they will be equal.
I respectfully disagree. Upgrades every generation are becoming necessary. It's why they had to release revised PS4 Pro and whatever the xbox was. GPU technology is moving very rapidly. Gone are the days of buying a console and playing it for four years getting reasonable expectations.

I'm not console bashing here. This is true for PCs as well!
You basically need to upgrade your GPU every generation on your PC. Ray tracing is improving greatly generation to generation, due to the huge demand for improvement. My $1500 RTX 3090 can't get 30 FPS on max settings at 4k in the game. Hence the need for GPUs for next generation that can nearly double ray tracing performance.

I think the OP is correct. Imagine if they fixed all the bugs etc and all the time it took to do that. This game would have released next year, by which point the last generation consoles probably wouldn't even be purchasable at stores.

It was released at this time before the last generation consoles are phased out so they can increase sales etc. It's a genius tactic.

Also FYI, I'm hearing reports of people with PC rigs that are very comparable to last generation consoles, and they are having much less issues and the game looks better graphically. Hearing people playing on GTX 980s and having a great time playing this game. So there's no reason why the game can't run on last generation consoles. I mean they use HDDs so it will take a longer time loading, but should still run.

I respectfully disagree. Upgrades every generation are becoming necessary. It's why they had to release revised PS4 Pro and whatever the xbox was. GPU technology is moving very rapidly. Gone are the days of buying a console and playing it for four years getting reasonable expectations.

I'm not console bashing here. This is true for PCs as well!
You basically need to upgrade your GPU every generation on your PC. Ray tracing is improving greatly generation to generation, due to the huge demand for improvement. My $1500 RTX 3090 can't get 30 FPS on max settings at 4k in the game. Hence the need for GPUs for next generation that can nearly double ray tracing performance.
wow, sorry you can't get better performance for what hardware you have, I'm on a subpar rig for 2077, it's playable, but not beautiful and it won't be till I get at least 3 new peices of hardware, but I knew that all along, actually surprised the game runs given my rig, 30 fps is about what I get non 4k...... I see ppl posting betetr rigs than mine and they can't even get the game to open....

I know how you feel, man. After this game's poor release, and everything I have read during my extensive searching to find solutions to multiple issues, my opinion of CDPR has dropped considerably. I still think that they're one of the better game devs, but I'm realizing that their shit stinks just like everyone else.

wow, sorry you can't get better performance for what hardware you have, I'm on a subpar rig for 2077, it's playable, but not beautiful and it won't be till I get at least 3 new peices of hardware, but I knew that all along, actually surprised the game runs given my rig, 30 fps is about what I get non 4k...... I see ppl posting betetr rigs than mine and they can't even get the game to open....
Right that's with DLSS off though. I get better performance with DLSS on, but it looks better with it off. This game clearly shows there is a need for much more powerful GPUs that can handle ray tracing much better. GPUs are also used in other applications other than gaming and video rendering. Things like AI and self driving cars. Other industries are driving the need for much better GPUs as well. This results in large gaps in performance generation to generation.

NVIDIA claimed that the 3000 series was 2x (yes double the performance) than the 2000 series. That was mostly a marketing scheme that wasn't true (it double in a few games) but it's more like 80 % more performance. It's hard to keep up with such large gaps in performance generation to generation.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the 4000 series is another 80 % improvement in ray tracing performance. This game, and feature games to come, clearly created a need for it.

I think they should have delayed the game another year. I would have been fine. I did a good job of not overhyping this game. I am satisfied with my experience. I really enjoy the game. But to those who hyped this game up too much and were angry every time they pushed it back, you brought this upon yourself. This project was ambitious and it needed more time to bake in the oven. I hope CDPR continues to update the game and put out DLC. This game has a lot of potential. I hope they paint on it like a canvas.

They were in a bad spot. The PS5 and XBX weren't available to develop on when they started this, so they had to develop for what was the current gen consoles. And they had to develop for consoles, or else cut their budget significantly.

The other hard truth is that at some point you have to either release the game or release the staff. Money runs out.

A combination of long development time (they're not getting much more income from the Witcher series at this point), consoles aging out, and Christmas sales window closing forced their hand.

Last edited:
"Surprisingly good", you mean it's actually working at all? Lol I expected the Ps4 to blow up. And tbh I never believed them from the start that it would work on last-gen.

I knew better but I'm a naive dreamer and I fell for it for the umpteenth time and so I can only blame myself in that regard to be honest. Doesn't excuse the deception though. Through it all, looking forward to the redemption story.

I knew better but I'm a naive dreamer and I fell for it for the umpteenth time and so I can only blame myself in that regard to be honest. Doesn't excuse the deception though. Through it all, looking forward to the redemption story.

I agree. It's still not excused. But if they're promising to fix it, might as well just give them the chance and wait 6 months, cause that's what that one dev said. that they needed 6 more months in reality. If it weren't for the investor, consumer pressure, and covid, I reckon they would have never promised the release dates that eventually lead to delays. They should've just stuck with "when it's ready" and kept working on it.

Top Bottom