Oil critical effects becoming permanent.Any Solutions/Thoughts?

+
Oil critical effects becoming permanent.Any Solutions/Thoughts?

Hey all..this isnt game breaking or anything but ive used the search function and the likes and havent found any topics that discuss this little bug in any detail. I would just like to know if other players have experienced this bug and if they have any viable work-arounds =) Basically,im in Act 3 and have started to notice that any time i use critical effect oils like Crinfrid,Brown Oil..or basically anything that causes a critical effect it becomes permanently branded into whatever blade i have it applied to if i save the game while it is applied. As said it isnt game breaking but im playing for maximum difficulty and having my silver/steel sword in fast style/strong style constantly inflicting pain AND bleeding counts as an inadvertant buff which makes the game even easier lol. Its just a bit annoying to have to spend whatever amount of orens to make a new blade in order to fix the problem each time it occurs. Ive been told that a good solution to this problem is to do the obvious and not save the game while you have a certain oil applied..but that just seems a bit extreme imo.For instance,earlier this evening (after reforging my steel sword to remove the bug..i also had to reforge my silver sword aswell..but i didnt have enough runes at the time.) I decided to save my game just outside of the New Narakort inn completely Oil free (a backup save if you will) then proceed through the closing events of Act 3 with Brown Oil applied..just to see if the bug would occur again.
Anyways,i entered the New Narakort with brown oil applied and started the chain of events..fought all the way up to the professor..killed him etc..ended up at the Lakeside in Act 4..didnt speak to the Resolute girl and rushed to the closest camp fire to meditate for 24hrs so the Brown Oil would wear off.After having done that..i ran up the path and attacked the Wyvern with my oil free steel sword in fast style...and im greeted again with this lovely bug..lots of pain and bleeding...in fast style without any oil applied..*sigh* lol
Thankfully,my back up save did the trick and im able to start the chain of events again outside of the New Narakort without Brown Oil applied and not risk this bug ruining the difficulty experience later in the game.Its just unfortunate because it seems that ill have to stop using the likes of Crinfrid Oil and Brown Oil outside of very short enemy encounters that dont require Saving.I know this isnt a gigantic game-breaking problem and many ppl will probaly tell me to stfu for nitpicking since most peeps on this board have waaaay bigger problems LoL But ah...it is a bug and i have not seen it discussed at all..i would just like to hear from other players concerning it =) Its a shame aswell because i absolutely love this game..its pretty much my number one RPG of all time and it has given me endless enjoyment and i love being able to use everything that is at your disposal within the game world.I also use the Insane difficulty mod aswell,which makes all oils and potions even more essential in combat and its just unfortunate that a tiny bug like this can eliminate the usefulness of certain Oils if your aiming for maximum difficulty.Though on the other hand..its a funny bug of sorts since you could make up an RP explanation for it^^ lol "Oh Aye,i used Brown Oil so much on my silver sword that after many years..it became apart of the blade itself...i no longer need to reapply it..." lol ;D Anyways sorry for the little wall of text ;) if anyone has ideas or fixes for this bug..do speak up^^(Oh and to the Mods - Sorry if i posted this on the wrong board =) just seemed like the logical place even if it isnt a game breaking problem^^)

Serenkar said:
Hey all..this isnt game breaking or anything but ive used the search function and the likes and havent found any topics that discuss this little bug in any detail. I would just like to know if other players have experienced this bug and if they have any viable work-arounds =) Basically,im in Act 3 and have started to notice that any time i use critical effect oils like Crinfrid,Brown Oil..or basically anything that causes a critical effect it becomes permanently branded into whatever blade i have it applied to if i save the game while it is applied.
are you using any mods ?what game version original + patch or Enhanced DVD?

This bug is not mod related. It's present in vanilla version of EE, surely also on earlier patches.

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Hey all..this isnt game breaking or anything but ive used the search function and the likes and havent found any topics that discuss this little bug in any detail. I would just like to know if other players have experienced this bug and if they have any viable work-arounds =) Basically,im in Act 3 and have started to notice that any time i use critical effect oils like Crinfrid,Brown Oil..or basically anything that causes a critical effect it becomes permanently branded into whatever blade i have it applied to if i save the game while it is applied.
are you using any mods ?what game version original + patch or Enhanced DVD?
Hi,yeah im using the original version + patch and the Insanity mod.As Flash pointed out though,the bug isnt to do with the mod..its a part of the original game.It is probaly less noticeable on lower difficulties because applying critical effects isnt as important to survival.In fact i didnt use any critical effect oils on my first play through on medium because i was never forced to..hence why i never had this problem occur^^ It just seems odd that such a simple bug has never been resolved =)

A similar issue I have heard of and continually experience in EE (vanilla) is Hanged Man's Venom becoming permanent on my steel swords.The poison effect persists forever after the oil actually wears off.

Yup,seems to be a problem with all of the oils that apply critical effects unfortunately.Since there doesnt seem to be any way to fix it my solution has been to keep one "broken" sword that has Brown Oil applied permanently ( i find Brown Oil to be the most useful of the critical effect oils personally) so i can use it whenever i would normally apply that oil for a given fight.That way i dont have to chance breaking my normal swords =) Flash (author of the Insane difficulty mod) uploaded a video on Youtube showcasing the problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBYByLMJRHc

Top Bottom