Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum veteran
i fear that, too many year pass before another trailer or gamplay video and the world forgets about the teaser trailer and then this game has less or none success
Not really realistic; the marketing budget for the third Witcher game was more than it took to actually develop the game, and it's a reasonable expectation that it'll be even more for 2077 since they see even greater commercial potential there. The number of gamers easily won over by marketing is kind of disgusting, so for better or worse, the game will see a sudden surge in support once CDPR starts pumping money into the hype machine.

From NeoGAF:

CD Projekt's conference has now ended. It was available here http://platforma.livingmedia.pl/cdpr...8002/index.php

Some information:
- Combined sales of all Witcher games is now over 20 million copies
- Plan for 2016: A new type of video game format previously unexplored by the Studio
- Digital sales of the Witcher 3 - 31.6% representing 50.2% of the revenue

Plans for 2017-2021:
- Release of Cyberpunk 2077
- "We aren't a long way away from the premiere" - Adam Badowski on the state of the development of Cyberpunk 2077
- Release of another AAA RPG
- Expansion of core franchises with additional media content and product lines
- Two fold expansion of the CDPR team - creation of four individual teams, two of them tasked with the development of of games representing new segments
- Establishment of new local branches of CDPR in key territories

GOG.com in 2016:
- Release of an AAA game unaffiliated with GOG, with full support of GOG Galaxy- concurrent with global release date.
- More global releases of AAA titles with Galaxy support coming in 2017-2021

Misc:
- Share price increased by 353% in the last 4 years
- CDPR to buy back shares in the future

"Kicinski (CEO) refused to answer whether or not the new title coming this year is related to The Witcher or Cyberpunk franchises."

"We aren't a long way away from the premiere"
- Adam Badowski on the state of the development of Cyberpunk 2077

"The Witcher 3 has revised their approach to Cyberpunk 2077. They are now aiming higher, going for a more revolutionary, more complex game."

"All our productions will be somehow linked to the web. We will reveal more in the future."
- when asked about multiplayer mode in Cyberpunk 2077.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought there was something off with that statement.
Looks like we're in for a 2020 release of CP 2077 after all.

Oh, and feel free to delete this post here in favour of the other one I didn't see before posting this. Don't want to steal anyone's thunder.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought there was something off with that statement.
Looks like we're in for a 2020 release of CP 2077 after all.

Oh, and feel free to delete this post here in favour of the other one I didn't see before posting this. Don't want to steal anyone's thunder.

I think you got in first. :)

Anyway, they also said CP77 and "another AAA RPG Title" to be released in the period 2017 to 2021. Based on 2015 for TW3, that would suggest 2018 for CP77. Unless they run late.

Last edited:
"We aren't a long way away from the premiere"
- Adam Badowski on the state of the development of Cyberpunk 2077

Wel, that's good to hear.

To be counted among the world's top three videogame developers.

Humble as ever. This kind of chest bumbing never reads well with me. Always stinks of trying to overachieve and then underachieving.

"The Witcher 3 has revised their approach to Cyberpunk 2077. They are now aiming higher, going for a more revolutionary, more complex game."

Not sure what to think of this. If they previously thought Witcher 1 was "too HC" and that they revolutionized RPG's with Witcher 3, I can only imagine what this means... Time will tell, hopefully something good that doesn't just scream:

I all for more complexity, but... it rarely ends well with "bigger, bigger, bigger!" Witcher 3 already suffered from the megalomania.

Last edited:
Humble as ever. This kind of chest bumbing never reads well with me. Always stinks of trying to overachieve and then underachieving.

In a different situation, I'd agree with you, but it's the type of statement that companies seem to be expected to make at that kind of Investor Briefing. I wouldn't read too much into it personally.

"They are now aiming higher, going for a more revolutionary, more complex game."

I'm just hoping this means "compared to original CP77 plans" and not "compared to TW3". Because yes, I agree.

I understand this as a change of plans, which probably means they are not talking about size, but about what TW3 lacked, gameplay depth, new and innovative ideas for RPGs, etc.

They already knew TW3 was going to be huge, it ended up being huge, and nobody among critics or journalists complained about it or thought it needed more, meaning the change in their expectations for CP77 has to be related to something else other than scale, something that has been redefined after TW3 was delivered.

To me its a positive sign.

Witcher 3 was fantastic, BUT it had the same issues a lot of modern games have which is the lack of branching dialog and alternative choices in how you solved issues. Most issues that gave you choices were only solved in an A or B manner, meaning you mostly had two choices and outcomes to a problem, but most did not even have that. Another problem is the vast majority of the game was nothing but fighting. Don't get me wrong, that is what geralt is, he is a sword fighter. However I would have killed for a good stealth/silent takedowns and alternative ways to solve issues.

The other problem is dialog, the dialog was MUCH better than the witcher 2, but it still was dumbed down to a lot of one liners with no real options. Not to mention it drove me nuts seeing the shortened bioware dialog choices instead of putting down the whole dialog. I really wanted a lot more choices and branching dialog like the old RPG games like PST which gave you a ton of dialog with a lot of branching outcomes based on stats, skills, knowledge, who you interacted before..etc. and gave you several ways to answer the question with different flavors to match the personality your are trying for. Fallout 1/2 is also a good example, the famous low inteligent character dialog is well remember, but I also enjoyed have a smart character, fallout 1 was really great when I had a high int character and the first interaction with the farmer I could go into this long talk introducing crop rotation and explaining the benefits. That is what I want, the game to recognize the type of character I am and customize the dialog for it along with giving me a lot of CHOICES.

To be fair a lot of the limitations can be directly tied to the PC being voiced, I know people like voiced characters, but the price is dumbing down dialog, lack of choices along with being stuck with the voice PC's voice type which ALWAYS sounds like a ass kicker type, which is fine for a game with a fixed character, but does not work in a game that is supposed to let the person create their own character. I always like to create intelligent characters who solve their issues with their brains, dialog, charisma and stealth. Not the fighter/intimidating type, however every single VO always sounds like the later which I hate. Maybe one day we will have the tech to create custom VO using computer generated tech that can read the dialog, till then I prefer a silent PC to avoid limiting the game.

We get hype in the form of trailers, investors get hype in the form of these mission statements. At this point I take a massive grain of salt with both. Especially since this mission statement has changed goals significantly from the last one.

Last edited:
We get hype in the form of trailers, investors get hype in the form of these mission statements

Thus speaks someone who understands corporations :)

Anyway, I can't in any way vouch for its accuracy, not being literate in Polish, but you may find this interesting:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/29649-The-Witcher-Online?p=2016822&viewfull=1#post2016822

http://www.stockwatch.pl/czat-inwestorow-gieldowych/adam-kicinski-i-piotr-nielubowicz---czlonkowie-zarzadu-cd-projekt-sa,162

It's written in polish though. There was no questions about Linux.

All they said is that:

- they are recruiting many new people to many different divisions and positions

- right now they are not planning to sell the license for RED Engine, instead they focus on making their own games

- new game that will be released this year is not pen and paper Witcher RPG

- the new AAA game that will be released at GOG this year is not No Man's Sky

- polish market makes for 2% of GOG income

- when asked about working space, they anwered that their offices are able to hold all of this new workers

- their current source of income will be Blood and Wine, as well as supporting products

- they are contacting all sorts of indie developers in order to expand GOG library

- the new AAA game that will be published on GOG will be DRM free. They are not going to change this policy.

- studios at Warsaw and Cracow were working together on all the recent projects, but they plan to make Cracow studio an independent team, which will be able to create AAA titles like The Witcher 3 on it's own

- GOG Galaxy will be expanded with the functions needed by game developers

- they stated again that Blood and Wine is the last planned expansion for The Witcher 3

- when asked about trailer and release date for BaW, they anwered that it will be released at second quarter of the year and to stay tuned

- they are planning to work on four different projects with different formats at the same time

- their 2016 game is not VR related and they are 100% sure they will release it this year

- they are aware of the dangers of the studio rapid expansion and they promise that they take it slow enough

- Cyberpunk 2077 will not be present during this year E3

- they're not aiming to release a new game every year, since they are focusing on making an RPG games and each of them require much more then one year of development

- they will keep expand GOG with older titles

- they are thinking about mobile platforms. They learned a lot about it since their MOBA release.

That's about it.

Anyway, I can't in any way vouch for its accuracy, not being literate in Polish,

So:

when asked about working space, they anwered that their offices are able to hold all of this new workers

Actually they said, that CDPR HQ is in office complex, that still have unused space, so they can use it for expansion. They didn't exactly stated that they have room for all 800+ people though.

their current source of income will be Blood and Wine, as well as supporting products

And GOG, and The Witcher (still sells well), and The Witcher 2 AoK, and The Witcher 3 WH.

Other than that pretty accurate. :)

Last edited:
So:

Actually they said, that CDPR HQ is in office complex, that still have unused space, so they can use it for expansion. They didn't exactly stated that they have room for all 800+ people though.

And GOG, and The Witcher (still sells well), and The Witcher 2 AoK, and The Witcher 3 WH.

Other than that pretty accurate. :)

It was late when I wrote this post, so I kept the translation short, maybe a bit too short in some cases. I should have probably write "a new sources of income" instead.

I'm genuinely surprised they want to bump staff up to 800 people. I mean holy shit. At one point they said a couple hundred is as big as they'll get. Hopefully they can manage it so their artistic quality and innovation don't suffer. When studios get that big, I imagine the gap between leads and grunts grows wide enough that communication between the two suffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom