Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see public reaction if CDPR decides to hire Sean Murray to work as lead (insert here) designer.

End of the world is nigh! :p

Before, during and after release, players are going to over-react. Either because they are worried or they like drama or they want attention or they simply mis-chose their words.

Those of us not inclined to over-react will calmly and pleasantly reassure them a few times, then ignore the next two hundred times.
But if you respond calmly and logically then ignore the intentional (vice accidental) trolls they won't stick around ... wait ... this is a good thing !

Would love to see public reaction if CDPR decides to hire Sean Murray to work as lead (insert here) designer.

End of the world is nigh! :p

Meh, his only talent is puffing up the game to unrealistic standards in order to try and "sell it". Todd Howard is much more skilled at this, since Bethesda games are always so much cooler when he's presenting them on stage than reality. If I had to hire one of them to sell the concept of Cyberpunk 2077, it'd definitely be Todd Howard. But we need neither, since CDPR's reputation is more than enough marketing for success to occur.

Last edited:
Can't be so hard though! Everyone know where CDPRs offices are, we just have to break in at night (first floor), take a couple of PCs with s and hack the Win Password. Then all we want to know will be ours.

Or, we are great fans, dont break in, and just wait a while longer. Even after all this time, I got a very good feeling about this game, and one Ex-Cod-dev doesn't change that. In fact, CDPR needs those to deliver great gunplay.

I got a feeling that 2017 will be this games big year. Maybe not release-wise, but we'll get intel. Finally.

Hope it's actually a 2017(insert 2077 joke). I mean, The Witcher 3's release date was changed twice. It's not something pleasurable to endure again, considering the experience devs has now.

Can't be so hard though! Everyone know where CDPRs offices are, we just have to break in at night (first floor), take a couple of PCs with s and hack the Win Password. Then all we want to know will be ours.

Or, we are great fans, dont break in, and just wait a while longer. Even after all this time, I got a very good feeling about this game, and one Ex-Cod-dev doesn't change that. In fact, CDPR needs those to deliver great gunplay.

I got a feeling that 2017 will be this games big year. Maybe not release-wise, but we'll get intel. Finally.

I am pretty sure will got plenty of info in 2017 about this game and i am pretty sure it will release in 2018

News would be appreciated though :)

They explicitly said they were super impressed on how Bethesda handled Fallout 4, developing it for 7 freaking years without any actual meaty leaks or confirmation of the development leaking out (always just rumors like "I heard it's gonna be set in Boston bruh" - "Really, do you think so?"), and then in summer 2015 "Yeah, you were right, we've been doing Fallout 4 all this time, whoohoo, but guess what IT'S COMING OUT IN JUST 3 FREAKING MONTHS!!!!1 11

And CDPR said they basically want to do the same with Cyberpunk. They want to avoid the situation that happened with The Witcher 3, where they revealed the game in Feb 2013, and to the audience it looked pretty much done and ready, and then after generating a huge wave of hype, the company itself realized the game needed a lot more work which eventually resulted in a wait of 2 more years. It was a tricky situation that could have easily gone awry and resulted in a lot of fans and potential customers plain forgetting about the game because the hype dies out, and CDPR wants to avoid that this time.

They explicitly said they were super impressed on how Bethesda handled Fallout 4, developing it for 7 freaking years without any actual meaty leaks or confirmation of the development leaking out (always just rumors like "I heard it's gonna be set in Boston bruh" - "Really, do you think so?"), and then in summer 2015 "Yeah, you were right, we've been doing Fallout 4 all this time, whoohoo, but guess what IT'S COMING OUT IN JUST 3 FREAKING MONTHS!!!!1 11

And CDPR said they basically want to do the same with Cyberpunk. They want to avoid the situation that happened with The Witcher 3, where they revealed the game in Feb 2013, and to the audience it looked pretty much done and ready, and then after generating a huge wave of hype, the company itself realized the game needed a lot more work which eventually resulted in a wait of 2 more years. It was a tricky situation that could have easily gone awry and resulted in a lot of fans and potential customers plain forgetting about the game because the hype dies out, and CDPR wants to avoid that this time.

Well, the fallout approach is not gonna happen with cyberpunk. Your description of what happened with W3 is not exactly accurate. Back in feb 2013 game was barely in production stage. Atm, the premiere date was october 2014

and to the audience it looked pretty much done and ready

Which audience? I was already a moderator in these forums at that time, and don't recall that happening. Yes, it took another two years, and yes, the delivery date did get put back, but there wasn't any "It's almost ready" sense back in 2013.

But I agree with you about the first half of your post. Given all the Downgrade furor, I don't think they should show anything this time until it's almost ready. Maybe not quite as silent as Bethesda was, but no gameplay/rendered in-engine videos.

Your description of what happened with W3 is not exactly accurate. Back in feb 2013 game was barely in production stage. Atm, the premiere date was october 2014

The reveal date was Feb 5th 2013. It's even hinted at in the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077.

Just google Witcher 3 Reveal and check the upload date for christs sake. Feb 5th 2013.

And many people thought it was close to release, but it wasn't. I never said anything else.

Which audience? I was already a moderator in these forums at that time, and don't recall that happening. there wasn't any "It's almost ready" sense back in 2013.

See last line above. This is not the only forum on the web.

But it -is- the forum we're in. So you could use the "it's from somewhere else!" argument for anything. We have no idea what NeoGAF thought, or why, or care.

Around here, on the official forums, there was little to no such sense of it's almost ready. If you had that sense, or someone else did, that's up to you or them.

I sure didn't. I figured at least a year, maybe 2.

The Cyberpunk release date is, when it's in your hands. Could be next year or 2020. They owe us zip nada and people mistaking plans for promises is -why- we don't have a lot of Cpunk news.

This impression that you aren't allowed to change your mind or adjust for circumstances in order to fulfill the needs of impatient consumers is a flawed one. "We're releasing 2018, all going well." would be immediately interpreted as "IRONCLAD guarantee of 2018!"

But it -is- the forum we're in. So you could use the "it's from somewhere else!" argument for anything.

Yes, I can, and I'm doing so. The web was buzzing after the reveal trailer even though it showed nothing, and we all know it. This particular Forum is a fairly civilized one, and, sitting at the very fountain of it all, most of us are reasonable people when it comes to CDPR, Witcher and Cyberpunk, some even with a hint of common sense. Except animalfather. And Claylex. He's the worst.

We have no idea

Such is the nature of humans.

what NeoGAF thought, or why, or care.

Sure, if you follow the path of never reading and observing anything else than the Forum that you happen to be a Mod in, that's how you'll probably roll.

But don't be surprised if you miss out on huge chunks of buzz that absolutely existed.

If you had that sense, that's up to you

There's absolutely no reason to assume this or even write one of the ever so popular If-sentences.

I sure didn't. I figured at least a year, maybe 2.

Doesn't mean loads of others didn't either. Which however leads us back to your dead-beat argument of "Why should I care".

They owe us zip nada and people mistaking plans for promises is -why- we don't have a lot of Cpunk news.

I really don't like where this is going and start to feel like you're assuming I am one of these people and an utter moron.

This impression that you aren't allowed to change your mind or adjust for circumstances in order to fulfill the needs of impatient consumers is a flawed one. "We're releasing 2018, all going well." would be immediately interpreted as "IRONCLAD guarantee of 2018!"

Again, I really hope you don't think I'm one of the people who think this.

Around here, on the official forums, there was little to no such sense of it's almost ready.
And this is somehow new?
There are always those that want it yesterday and tailored to their personal preferences and will loudly scream a game is worthless when it's not.
Like any other child having a temper tantrum it's best to ignore them because any attention at all just encourages them.

Some people are very good at believing what they want in spite of little to no evidence to support those beliefs. Pick your favorite conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
Sure, if you follow the path of never reading and observing anything else than the Forum that you happen to be a Mod in, that's how you'll probably roll.

We were maintaining threads detailing all of the news and info seen elsewhere on the web right from the first announcement until just before launch, when it got a bit overwhelming. So maybe you have a source for your statement?

It confirms one thing though - they shouldn't say anything. People have a habit of inventing stuff, and then getting really upset when the stuff turns out to be false.

Yeah, what DB said. We tracked previews, reviews and all sorts of W3 news. People from all over post here, including links to all sorts of forums. That's not to say we are some all-knowing locus of info, but it -is- to say that some nebulous "other" forum(s) doesn't carry a lot of weight in terms of sourcing this surety of a soon-done release.

We're talking about this, Lex, because the line "See last line above. This is not the only forum on the web." you used implies that our experience here and our impressions here, are of a lesser or irrelevant quality to other forums. That somewhere out there are more significant and, you imply, more accurate representations of expectations of CDPR projects.

That might be true, but it'd be hard to demonstrate and, since this is our community here, none too relevant to this audience.

I don't think necessarily that you are expecting a Cpunk release date out of CDPR, but I do think your posts indicate a dissatisfaction with their communication methods about release dates. That's what I'm looking at and discussing.

Oh, and relax. Angry emoticons, lines like "and check the upload date for christs sake. Feb 5th 2013.", as well as words like "moron" and "dead-beat" aren't a sign of Cool. Here in Cyberpunk land, we value Cool.

Last edited:

Maybe the release date is hidden in the title of the game? :p

The reveal date was Feb 5th 2013. It's even hinted at in the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077.

Just google Witcher 3 Reveal and check the upload date for christs sake. Feb 5th 2013.

And many people thought it was close to release, but it wasn't. I never said anything else.

I know what the reveal date was. I was here on this forum reading every piece of info about W3 :). I wasn't implying that you got the date of the reveal wrong. However, no footage was shown until E3 in june (the reveal wan in GI). There was no expectation of a quick release date. Definitely there was no feeling of a game being done or close to being done. Considering W2 was released in 2011 that was highly improbable. Maybe on some other forum there was a group of people thinking that in their ignorance. Anyway, saying that the audience expected a quick release wasn't true at all. Maybe some people were hoping for it but thats about it.

You are right however that the project scope grew based on the initial hype and that amongst other things led to delay, however the delay was 7 months not 2 years.

As far as Cyberpunk re-reveal goes its is highly unlikely that it will follow the fallout approach. Yes, ideally the would want to do things like that, However, every franchise is different and marketing a brand new gaming franchise is very different than a sequel of one of the most beloved gaming series. Because Cyberpunk is new franchise they will need a lot more time to market it. Even if you look at Bethesda games, they don't promote their games in similar fashion to what they did with fallout. Games like Prey, Dishonored 2 were announced with a much longer wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom