Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Its quite weird news - or terrifying; more precisely said.

That of huge map...
As it is part of real world, I think there is way to generate height map from google maps, or something like that :D ,
than you can just put some randomizers to generate nature, buildings and all that stuff,
but to actually play through - like what the hell ?
Some players of witcher had hundreds or even thousand of hours on the game.
What this would require to "go, do, see everything" - 4000 hours ?
If all the quests would be multi ending/thread/play through, with decisions, character development, and so on,
no mortal man could beat the game...

Suhiira;n9501421 said:
Even professionals occasionally have trouble taking down buildings on purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHcCbY2wY38
Hollywood *rolls her eyes*.

Even Al Qaeda had a hard time doing it:

The first collapse happened 58 minutes after the plane hit the south tower and the second took 1 hour and 42 minutes after the impact in the north tower.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IS A 911 FOOTAGE; SENSIBLE MATTERIAL AHEAD; NSFW:

Last edited:
Azriel7;n9498961 said:
What about rocket/missile launchers, explosives and so many wonderful exploding toys?
Depends greatly on the integrity of the structure to begin with.
I could see some old condemned buildings, pre-nuke ones, being mostly destructible, while modern buildings shouldn't really succumb to much.

There's no reason to suspect that CP77 will have RFG style urban destruction.
I suspect that in the few interviews that exist, if it was going to be a feature, it would have been mentioned already, even as early as it is.
RFG destructibility is too much a big deal not to be mentioned, because it changes so much technically and functionally.

I suspect that like most games, it will be very script dependent on destructibility. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just more limited. Akin to a large door being opened or closed.
To have a combat area change in a way the player doesn't control, eg, a ceiling, floor or wall is blown out changing the shape of the combat arena, is something that can be done in a scripted way that still effectively changes the layout of the area.

NukeTheMoon;n9501951 said:
Depends greatly on the integrity of the structure to begin with.
I could see some old condemned buildings, pre-nuke ones, being mostly destructible, while modern buildings shouldn't really succumb to much.
Actually more the opposite.
There's a reason ancient Greek, Egyptian, Roman buildings are still around. The same applies to most anything built before about 1900.
The industrial revolution also lead to steel framed buildings. MUCH cheaper, lighter, and more flimsy (comparatively).

Suhiira;n9503361 said:
There's a reason ancient Greek, Egyptian, Roman buildings are still around. The same applies to most anything built before about 1900.
The industrial revolution also lead to steel framed buildings. MUCH cheaper, lighter, and more flimsy (comparatively).

Actually, considering that most abandoned buildings have far less government inspections, they tend to have less regulated reforms in order to avoid cracking problems or even collapses, so it would be plausible to have some of them to be destructible.

At this very moment, we all have the impression that fully destructible buildings are a little bit too much...but what is it really that out of question specially considering all of todays technologies? CDPR may take us by surprise.

Suhiira;n9503361 said:

Sure. All the Greek, Egyptian and Roman buildings *in America* post-nuke can be relatively indestructible, I agree with that.

All the post-industrial buildings that survived the nuke creating the space for Night City that are left over though, I think should be condemned pieces of sh*t that are easily destructible from grenades and explosions.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9503421 said:
Actually, considering that most abandoned buildings have far less government inspections, they tend to have less regulated reforms in order to avoid cracking problems or even collapses, so it would be plausible to have some of them to be destructible.At this very moment, we all have the impression that fully destructible buildings are a little bit too much...but what is it really that out of question specially considering all of todays technologies? CDPR may take us by surprise.

It's technically possible, even though it honestly would probably look like a joke without Havok physics.
But I really just don't think that's what CDPR is going to be going for. I think the game *might* have some destructible walls that can be blow out, if there is anything that the player can destroy at all. But I don't really have much faith in that either.

NukeTheMoon;n9503511 said:
But I really just don't think that's what CDPR is going to be going for. I think the game *might* have some destructible walls that can be blow out, if there is anything that the player can destroy at all. But I don't really have much faith in that either.

We all have this felling, but why? Is it because most consoles are going to melt or it simply takes to much time making these "fully destructible" buildings?

Lisbeth_Salander;n9503551 said:
We all have this felling, but why? Is it because most consoles are going to melt or it simply takes to much time making these "fully destructible" buildings?

I think it's because if you could go around like Crackdown 3 demolishing buildings with rocket launchers, or anything even approximating or imitating that, it would destroy the feeling of vulnerability that the CP2020 game was meant to convey.

Also, making destructible buildings to the degree that RFG did it is a major undertaking. It the second most difficult thing to do, next to multiplayer code. It isn't just the building destruction, it's creating AI that can adapt to it, and rendering it.
Since it's nearly impossible to predict what part of the building needs to be rendered, and what of it is hidden, there's a lot of overlapping drawing being done, which kills frame rates, and necessitates lower graphical fidelity, especially on hardware limited consoles.

If you played RFG on the hardest difficulty setting you will see all these things at work and get what I'm talking about. It's not even remotely the same as Battlefield 4.

Why are so many people interested in destructible environments. It's just a fucking waste of system power for that to work. It's better to put something that pushes your system into something more useful. Also real complete or almost complete destructible environments comes with problems. Like what if you destroy a building that a quest giver is in. You'll have to wait then for the building to b e fixed? For a game to have major destruction is only useful imo if the gameplay evolves around that. It makes complete sense for a war game to have destructible environments. But an open world story RPG not so much. Let's just be real we wont be destroying and seeing skyscrapers collapse. But minor destruction i don't see why not.

ChrisStayler;n9503751 said:
It's just a fucking waste of system power for that to work.

Agreed, generally.

Aside from smaller stuff like furiniture, windows, fences and other similiar clutter inside/outside, and visual decals on walls, I don't see much point in it.

wow, i really hope very little of this is true. 4x the size of the total witcher 3 map is stupidly big and the map wasn't exactly silky smooth at W3 size.

Doors and windows and the like being destructible? quality idea. buildings? that will need a lot smaller map, look at the trouble crackdown three is having with that idea on a big map and that map is half the size of W3.

respecs? i am okay with in class. consonantly being able to totally change class seems like a way for people to get lost in play styles they haven't gotten used to in more difficult parts of the game.

at face value this is not good news.

Hoplite_22;n9506721 said:
wow, i really hope very little of this is true. 4x the size of the total witcher 3 map is stupidly big and the map wasn't exactly silky smooth at W3 size.

Doors and windows and the like being destructible? quality idea. buildings? that will need a lot smaller map, look at the trouble crackdown three is having with that idea on a big map and that map is half the size of W3.

respecs? i am okay with in class. consonantly being able to totally change class seems like a way for people to get lost in play styles they haven't gotten used to in more difficult parts of the game.

at face value this is not good news.
Maybe we're not getting something straight? 4x size in which way? There was something about CP2077 being more vertical, so maybe this is where it all comes from and worldmap's actually not that wide?
If not, I don't think a wasteland has a fair limit in size, landscape is always the same but Nomads are quite stinky, so they need some more free space than your typical Skyrim.

metalmaniac21;n9507241 said:
Maybe we're not getting something straight? 4x size in which way? There was something about CP2077 being more vertical, so maybe this is where it all comes from and worldmap's actually not that wide?

That's what it hopefully is. The leak said "landmass", though. That kind of implies horizontal.

I keep hoping this "leak" is just to set rumours on the fly.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9505981 said:
Because it's fun.

It can be, undoubtedly (I am a hardcore RFG fan), but I think the question is more about how do destructible environments fit into the theme of vulnerability that CP202 was meant to convey.
Ultimately everything that goes into the game, that "fits" or not, is measured by that standard. Or at least I ass-u-me that's what the developers have envisioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom