Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm genuinely surprised they want to bump staff up to 800 people. I mean holy shit. At one point they said a couple hundred is as big as they'll get. Hopefully they can manage it so their artistic quality and innovation don't suffer. When studios get that big, I imagine the gap between leads and grunts grows wide enough that communication between the two suffers.

Its big alright, but I always understood this as 200 per team, and per project.

If they give each team reasonable enough freedom to operate without too many dependencies it might not ruin quality too much, but its bold.

@Garrison72 To be fair though, they said they want to create 4 teams, each capable enough to produce a game like Witcher 3. 800 sounds right for that. However, I also hope that they can plan all their projects well enough. Even if it's 4 teams each with 200 people, it might be tough to coordinate everything. Well, the only thing we can do now is to trust that they would be able to do it, until proven wrong :)

I'm genuinely surprised they want to bump staff up to 800 people. I mean holy shit. At one point they said a couple hundred is as big as they'll get. Hopefully they can manage it so their artistic quality and innovation don't suffer. When studios get that big, I imagine the gap between leads and grunts grows wide enough that communication between the two suffers.

Yeah. And soon enough, to keep that kind of huge ship afloat, they start to annualize their games and before Kim Jong-un manages to say "pre-emptive nuke" we have a Polish version Ubisoft at our hands churning out loads of high grade mediocrities with an occasional "better than average" accident. :D

Yeah. And soon enough, to keep that kind of huge ship afloat, they start to annualize their games and before Kim Jong-un manages to say "pre-emptive nuke" we have a Polish version Ubisoft at our hands churning out loads of high grade mediocrities with an occasional "better than average" accident. :D
I like to think given their track record and commitment to GOG they understand that in the long run paying attention to their customer base as well as their marketing department pays off far better then ignoring their customers in favor of marketing. While they've hardly tailored their products to any of the various rather vocal cliques that exist in the gaming community, and this is a very good thing, they don't ignore them like so many others seem to.

With four independent development teams there's no reason they couldn't put out one major release a year. And they've already shown their willingness to delay a release if needed rather then sticking to a schedule regardless of the consequences to the product.

A lot of us were raised on classic Polish jokes ... methinks CDPR is making us all rethink them :what:

Last edited:
Marcin Iwinski: "It's my personal horror to become a faceless behemoth of game development or publishing or whatnot. As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen."*

Let's give the guys the benefit of the doubt before crucifying them, shall we? :) I seriously think they still have genuine concern about their customers. Sure, if they want to sell well, they might not be able to cater to the hardcore of the hardcore gamers that much. There might be some dumbing down, as in the case of Witcher 3. But that's what indies and small teams are for :) I think we deserve at least one AAA game developer that takes gamers seriously and puts their hearts into their work; especially in comparison with all the other giants of the industry that produce the same crap with different flavors, twice every year.

And also there are the good points underlined by @Suhiira.

Source*: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch
To me these comments in particular really stand out as expressing how CDPR views things:

But reviews and pre-orders are only a guide: what really matters is what the gaming public makes of it. What the forums say, and what the general buzz is. In other words, what happens from midnight tonight.

"If we had released the game to ratings of 60 [per cent] then probably I will tell you our plans would be affected, but that's not really what we're here for, to release games that are crap."

Those plans obviously include Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red's next big game, which was announced in May 2012. I had a look up upstairs at Cyberpunk development when I visited in 2013, but I wasn't allowed this time. There were around 50 people on the team back then so I imagine pre-production and planning are been done, but beyond that I don't know. All work done on the RedEngine for The Witcher will be mutually beneficial, and the experience the studio gained likewise.

With mention of Blizzard comes a fear of the big time, of becoming a corporation, and of CD Projekt Red no longer being one of the good guys - not to suggest that Blizzard isn't. Look at what happened to BioWare's image under EA. When you're at the top, the only place you can go is down.

"What we have as the slogan of our studio is that 'we are rebels'," Iwiński says. "Rebels, underdogs - I think it's a state of mind. The moment we start becoming conservative [and] stop taking creative risks and business risks, and stop being true to what we're doing, that's when we should worry. And I am not worried. Our values and our care for what we are doing and - hopefully what gamers would agree with - care for gamers is what drives this company forward. Whether we are big or small, we have a multiplatform open-world game or just a PC release, the game and our deeds are what counts, not the fact that we are perceived by some as the big guys.

"It's my personal horror to become a faceless behemoth of game development or publishing or whatnot," he adds. "As long as I am here I will be fighting for this not to happen."

Last edited:
His Morgan-ness, Mike Pondsmith, recently posted a snippet concerning CP2077. Not sure I'm allowed to post what little he said here, so I'll just render his opinion on what's he's seen so far: "Suffice it to say this game is going to be amazing with a side order of awesome sauce."

A side order of awesome sauce.

That's too bad. If it'd been-really good- I'm sure it would have been an entire second entree. Oh, well. Cancelling pre-order.

There's a new in-depth interview with Marcin Iwinski (head of CD Projekt Red). No things of importance are mentioned regarding Cyberpunk 2077, sadly (overall its a CD Project Red/Witchr 3 related interview).

I didnt want to open ANOTHER thread in this forum just for that, so here it is.

Last edited:
There's a new in-depth interview with Marcin Iwinski (head of CD Projekt Red). No things of importance are mentioned regarding Cyberpunk 2077, sadly (overall its a CD Project Red/Witchr 3 related interview).

I didnt want to open ANOTHER thread in this forum just for that, so here it is.

Its weird but I think I heard Iwinski mention mutants being in CP2077?

Am I wrong?

The only "mutant" he mentoned that Im aware of was Geralt of Rivia... :p

He did mentioned that their top priority for their 500 people studio is Cyberpunk, which is great.
Also there was a reference of a "third" posible game down the line, of a new genre, but he completely closed the conversation regarding that. Maybe it's a smaller game?, or a as big as Witcher 3, or it will ammount to nothing. Future will tell.

The only "mutant" he mentoned that Im aware of was Geralt of Rivia... :p

He did mentioned that their top priority for their 500 people studio is Cyberpunk, which is great.
Also there was a reference of a "third" posible game down the line, of a new genre, but he completely closed the conversation regarding that. Maybe it's a smaller game?, or a as big as Witcher 3, or it will ammount to nothing. Future will tell.

Ah thats good to hear.XD

I don't want this become some kind of Cyborgs Vs. Mutants thing going on.

His Morgan-ness, Mike Pondsmith, recently posted a snippet concerning CP2077. Not sure I'm allowed to post what little he said here, so I'll just render his opinion on what's he's seen so far: "Suffice it to say this game is going to be amazing with a side order of awesome sauce."

A side order of awesome sauce.

That's too bad. If it'd been-really good- I'm sure it would have been an entire second entree. Oh, well. Cancelling pre-order.

Mike's well aware of the NDAs, I'm sure linking his quote would be fine.

I think that new game they were talking about was the one that was said in their investors' conference, that will come out in the second half of this year. Which is I believe a little smaller, and in a genre that they didn't touch before. I still believe they are making an online Gwent game, as they said that they want to continue pushing the Witcher marketing more this year. But there is also a game that they plan to release after CP2077, in the same 2017-2021 time-frame. About which we have no information :)

Trademark filing for "Promised Land" by CD Projekt S.A., 5.2.2016

Could be related to the new "previously unexplored" video game type/format/genre/? that's supposed to come out this year or the other AAA RPG announced for 2017.
Or something completely different.

It's listed as being under the category of "Training; Organisation of training, conferences, congresses, symposiums, and workshops; Organisation of rankings; Organization of exhibitions for cultural or educational purposes."

So I have absolutely no idea.

'Cyberpunk 2077' News: CD Projekt RED Overhauling Dev Tools Before Official Work Begins

full article here which includes a new interview with Jose Teixeira from CDPR

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/cyberp...hauling-dev-tools-official-work-begins-529132

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of those titles that gamers are going crazy for , even though a lot hasn’t happened with the game yet. Developer CD Projekt RED, best known for it's work with The Witcher franchise , is gearing up to begin serious production and, according to one team member, enthusiasm for the project is making it easy to say goodbye to The Witcher franchise and it's hero, Geralt, who will see his final adventure in the release of the upcoming Blood And Wine DLC.

“To be honest, the politically correct answer is yes, it is sad [to finish Geralt’s story]. But the truth is that everyone is so insanely pumped about working on the next project, Cyberpunk 2077 ,” said Jose Teixeira, a visual effects artist for CD Projekt RED. “We’ve could’ve made a million expansions for The Witcher because there’s so many stories in that world but everyone is crazy excited about Cyberpunk 2077. ”

Cyberpunk 2077 is very, very early in it's development cycle and CD Projekt RED hasn’t said much about what fans can expect. Although the little bits of info they have shared have been met with a huge response that Teixeira says is unlike the trajectory of The Witcher franchise.

“The difference between how games like this reach a general audience. With The Witcher it was a snowball effect and there was this core of hardcore gamers that knew about The Witcher and they passed the word along. It was a very slow process,” he said. “With Cyberpunk 2077 all they did was this little mood trailer and it just went insane. It was like an avalanche of interest immediately. It clicks with people instantly and it does the exact same thing with me.”

In order to deliver on the already high expectations for the game, CD Projekt RED is first going to improve the software used in-house to make the game. Teixeira explained that developing The Witcher 3 was such a long and involved process that the team kept notes along the way of the tools they want to make things easier.

“The most important thing that’s happening at the moment is that the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher . As cliche as it sounds it was a big learning experience,” he said, explaining that by the end of the development everyone had a list of features they wanted for new dev tools. “The programmers are updating our software quite drastically.”

This includes a brand new visual effects editor, which Teixeira is very excited about. He admits that he’s got a little more enthusiasm for the upcoming project than he did for The Witcher 3 . For him, Cyberpunk 2077 represents a chance to explore a genre he finds more interesting.

“I immensely appreciate medieval fantasy games,” he said. “ But I don’t know what it is about Cyberpunk 2077 but it just clicks. There’s something about this game that just clicks with me and I’m really happy to be working on it.”

Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for release sometime in the next four years , so don’t hold your breath for any big announcements in the near future.

while i think it's really cool that the team is so excited for cp77 it's kinda depressing to hear that this sounds that development didn't even really start

at least that's what the article is implying, would be cool if we get an official comment from CDPR on this

The next 4 years...

okay, here is the counter-argument:

first, the "sometime in the next four years" is literally what we already knew (pg 25), that's not new information.
second, they are updating the redkit, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have started in the old one. we are probably talking about additions here, not complete rewrites. not to mention models, music and story don't even really need the redkit.
also, the most "negative" bits in the article (for example: Cyberpunk 2077 is very, very early in it's development cycle) are not quoted, just interpreted.

Since they're using the same in-house game engine for CP2077 it only makes sense to improve it and make it easier for the art, sound, etc. teams. Given that CP will absolutely require firearms they need to incorporate all the mechanics necessary into the game engine. And they may (or may not) need to incorporate driving mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom