Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
“The most important thing that’s happening at the moment is that the programmers are taking the feedback we gave them from working on The Witcher . As cliche as it sounds it was a big learning experience,” he said, explaining that by the end of the development everyone had a list of features they wanted for new dev tools. “The programmers are updating our software quite drastically.”

By the end of development. Not "yesterday". The end of development was a year ago.

You're late... Already being discussed here, complete with debunking of the article :)

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...hauling-Dev-Tools-Before-Official-Work-Begins

1. The trailer was a job advertisement. This has been said. It wasn't to make you suffer or because they love you. It was to attract potential employees - and - test interest from the public. Job done.

2. We aren't owed diddly. "When it's done" is perfectly fair from a creative standpoint. Privilege of authors. Don't like, it pretend it's not happening and move along for a few years.

3. Yes, it sucks. BOY DOES IT SUCK. Let's plan a group-visit to Poland. At night, because it's thematic!

I can wait, i never said i was owed anything, it's just that in the past from what they said about it, everyone already assumed that they were working on the game already.

Also they said before that when the CGI trailer was released that they were working on it, but then needed to move some peopel back over to finished up the Witcher 3.

The way game development works usually you have multiple projects and you shift people around. The concept artist, writers, etc get finished usually long before animators and other people do and it's good to have another game in the pipeline so you can move them over to it and get started on that game while the others are finishing up.

With the recent Cd Projekt earnings conference they said that they intended to release not one, but two AAA rpg games by 2021, one of which was Cyberpunk 2077. So logically people assumed that meant that they were already into development on the game and would likely release it in 2017-18 or so and then onto the next game.

However if they are just now starting the development of the game that means there's a good four'ish years or so for a full dev cycle and how long normal open world rpgs take, that puts it at 2020, leaving zero time for this other AAA rpg.

As you can understand, that is why many people are shocked at hearing this news today. A game they expected to be already years into development and they just now announce it's just starting production has thrown many people for a loop.

Something to note is that development is not always programming. I remember watching an episode of The Computer Chronicles (Vintage computing is an interest) and an Atari 8 bit programmer mentioned he spent 90% of his dev time coming up with ideas. While that's a bit different now, planning and writing is still a massive part of development. It's possible that the majority of writers, artists, and high level planning people were moved to Cyberpunk early, while most of the proggrammer types were working on Witcher stuff.

Forum veteran
2. We aren't owed diddly.
But they're not owed our unending patience, either.

And at this point it's looking like Cleve Blakemore Presents: Cyberpunk 2077. Nerves will be grated. If they didn't expect that, then their "let's give them a taste and then nothing for three-years-and-counting" approach to the thing can be called out for being stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Myopic. They're not owed constant flowers and rainbows just because they're making a product, and criticism of the way they're handling things is perfectly fair. Privilege of consumers.

But they're not owed our unending patience, either.

Patience for what? Their product? They don't need our patience in any way. If it's good, we'll buy it. When it's ready. If you're impatient for something they said they are working on, that's really on you, not on them.

It's amusing that the high quality of past products causes us to demand more of said producers, whereas if they made shit, we wouldn't be impatient at all, would we? Kind of trying to punish them for quality, isn't it?

CDPR isn't asking for flowers and rainbows in regards to CP2077 development; they aren't asking for anything from us at all. In any way. Here's the test: stop giving whatever you think they are asking for.

They could, as many content producers do, quietly toil along for years more, then a few months or weeks before release, tell us about it. Hell, lots of good things I read or watch see minimum promotion - they are still good.

This is simple - they said, "Hey, we're making a cool thing. It won't be ready for years. Look forward to it!" Stop looking forward to it, if it's a burden to do so.

Forum veteran
Patience for what? Their product? They don't need our patience in any way. If it's good, we'll buy it. When it's ready. If you're impatient for something they said they are working on, that's really on you, not on them.
That's not the point. I'm just saying that them not owing us anything isn't a magical ward against criticism, so invoking it as though it renders annoyance over their close-lippedness invalid makes no sense. It's just an irrelevant deflection. They have the right to do whatever they want, and we have the right to have an opinion on it. It has nothing to do with anyone being owed anything.

It's amusing that the high quality of past products causes us to demand more of said producers, whereas if they made shit, we wouldn't be impatient at all, would we? Kind of trying to punish them for quality, isn't it?
The mental gymnastics in this statement are deserving of all the Olympic gold medals in the world.

As you can understand, that is why many people are shocked at hearing this news today. A game they expected to be already years into development and they just now announce it's just starting production has thrown many people for a loop.

But that never happened. What happened was that somebody decided to twist certain statements in order to make people click on their site. The Jose Texeira direct quotes in that article didn't say it was just "starting production", he doesn't say "... overhauling Dev Tools *BEFORE* Official Work Begins", and the article doesn't say that it'll be four years before the game cames out.

But that never happened. What happened was that somebody decided to twist certain statements in order to make people click on their site. The Jose Texeira direct quotes in that article didn't say it was just "starting production", he doesn't say "... overhauling Dev Tools *BEFORE* Official Work Begins", and the article doesn't say that it'll be four years before the game comes out.
I long ago learned that neither most journalists nor most lawyers have the faintest idea how to spell "ethics". They have a position to sell and will do anything they feel will persuade you to pay attention and believe whatever they're trying to convince you of.
At least most used car salesmen admit they're trying to deceive you.

Forum veteran
Someone's going to have to explain this one to me. I Googled his name and read stuff about law-suits, magnum opi, and racism. It all went over my head.
Where to even begin? Part of me dreads even trying for fear of summoning him. In fact, I'm putting the rest of this post in spoiler tags because he seems like the kind of person who Googles himself obsessively.

Let's just say that he has some strong political opinions and a tendency for brash overemphasis. He won't say "it was cold today." Instead, he'd probably say something like, "icicles fell from the sky and impaled thousands of people around me but I survived because I'm so macho."

His game, Grimoire, has been in development for something like 15-20 years now. I don't know when this particular loop started, but since at least 2012 (here's a fun read if you don't value your time) it's been almost finished. Just a few more issues! The game will be done in months! Weeks! It's so very close now! And then the release date is missed and the whole thing starts over again later. Ad infinitum. Grimoire looks at the development of Duke Nukem Forever and lusts at the tight ship they ran over there.

That's... just the beginning, honestly, and there's all kinds of miscellaneous drama surrounding him (trademark trolling, crowdfunding campaigns, and even a story about an unfinished Wizardry he worked on with penis monsters that actually turned out to be somewhat true), but that's at least the relevant bit. It's probably best to just smile and nod in blissful ignorance of all of that.

Where to even begin? Part of me dreads even trying for fear of summoning him. In fact, I'm putting the rest of this post in spoiler tags because he seems like the kind of person who Googles himself obsessively.

Let's just say that he has some strong political opinions and a tendency for brash overemphasis. He won't say "it was cold today." Instead, he'd probably say something like, "icicles fell from the sky and impaled thousands of people around me but I survived because I'm so macho."

His game, Grimoire, has been in development for something like 15-20 years now. I don't know when this particular loop started, but since at least 2012 (here's a fun read if you don't value your time) it's been almost finished. Just a few more issues! The game will be done in months! Weeks! It's so very close now! And then the release date is missed and the whole thing starts over again later. Ad infinitum. Grimoire looks at the development of Duke Nukem Forever and lusts at the tight ship they ran over there.

That's... just the beginning, honestly, and there's all kinds of miscellaneous drama surrounding him (trademark trolling, crowdfunding campaigns, and even a story about an unfinished Wizardry he worked on with penis monsters that actually turned out to be somewhat true), but that's at least the relevant bit. It's probably best to just smile and nod in blissful ignorance of all of that.

Well, that was horrifying.

The measurement I have been using when it comes to when I think CP2077 will/might come out, is based around how long time CDPR have taken between each Witcher game.

The Witcher 1 - 2007
The Witcher 2 - 2011
The Witcher 3 - 2015

About 4 years between each game. So with that in mind...

Cyberpunk 2077 - 2019

...sounds pretty logical to me.

Although... I would not think it was all that difficult to think that it might take a year or two extra, and as such come out in 2020 (wich would of course be fitting for the original PnP RPG version of the game) or 2021... since this is basicly their first game outside of the Witcher series. AND it is also their first game outside of the Fantasy genre. Taking that leap, from Fantasy to Sci-Fi, can put up a whole set of new problems that they will have to get past... and that can potentually take a bit of extra time.

It is just a little bit unfortunate for a lot of us who happend to run into that teaser trailer back in early 2013 (me being one of them), and even more unfortunat for those people who found out about the game 4 years ago when CDPR first announced CP2077 back in 2012. Getting wind of a game that early, that long befor it actually get's into production or is released, can be a bit frustrating. But it is what it is, and I have in no way regretted finding out about CP2077 back in 2013, if anything I have had a pretty fun time here on this forum since I joined it. XD

Last edited:
I'm still hoping for 2018, CDPR is a much larger organization now then it was during the development of the Witcher series.
True... but CDPR have said that CP2077 will be by far the biggest game they have ever created... larger then TW3 even. So logically the size of their team, and the size of the game, should counterbalance each other.

I would not mind getting it earlier though. :)

And add in the fact that they likely will not prepare a complete engine, and will rather update the current RedEngine. I am also expecting the game around early 2018, maybe going into late 2018 for the usual delays for polishing the game. Of course we will see, but that news article - as @Dragonbird stated many times - does not have consistency with even their previous articles, and does not have objective facts that should lead a person to believe that the game will come out after 4 years :) They merely use the statement by CDPR that says that there is going to be 2 AAA games between 2017-2021, when they say that the game will come out in 4 years. And Jose is clearly stating that the tools are being updated. Again, there is nothing to make us think that the development did not progress without the updated tools. For all we know, they were/are working on the game for a while, and they will be able to do it better/faster with the updated tools. Even the title of that article is not coming from the source and is just put there by the author! :D

Just have been pointed to an article on the German edition of IGN that recaps an earlier live stream from today with one of the quest designers for the second Witcher 3 expansion. It's obviously all about Blood and Wine, but one statement regarding CP 2077's current status seems worth mentioning:

"Actually, the new RPG Cyberpunk 2077 should not even stuck in development . But apparently there is the title already more than concepts and artwork. Because in a question and answer session of GameStar the Quest Designer Philip Weber has admitted that there is already a prototype, however, he can not talk in detail about it."

Honesty, I expect (and have expected) them to release it in 2020 for parity with the tabletop.

No offense, but that would be fucking ridiculous, especially when 99.9% of the people that will play CP 2077 haven't even heard of the tabletop or Mike Pondsmith. Stretching out the development cycle to seven years just to coincide with the anniversary of an obscure pen and paper game makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom